Rust and Corrosion

Thread starter
Dave, I have to admire your admiration for the CB1100; I mean, you went through quite a bit with the high/low idle issue and got that sorted out and you have the rust issue. Yet you seem to thoroughly enjoy the bike still. I'm happy for you in that regard.
[/QUOTE]

Thank you pdedse. No bike is perfect, and nothing "major" has happened to my CB1100 to make me not love it. Let's just say I have owned other motorcycles that have experienced a lot more issues than my CB11.
 
The rust issue is a bore, but it's by no means enough to make me want to part with my CB1100.
 
If rust/corrosion has any correlation with mileage: Just for fun I checked our forum stats for 2016-2020 on average annual mileage for those having posted and compared to some Swedish data; the Swedish BMW club (2015, 42 reporting members), an insurance company's customer poll and the average for all registered bikes over 1000cc in traffic:

Average number of miles (km) per year
CB1100: 8600 miles (13800 km)
SWE BMW-club: 8300 miles (13300 km)
SWE Insurance Co: 1800 miles (2900 km)
SWE registered bikes: 1240 miles (1980 km)

Granted, Sweden has a short riding season and comparing these figures is like comparing apples and oranges, but it sort of suggests that our bikes could be spending spend more time on the road than many others. If so, maybe that could be a factor - greater exposure to the elements and so on?
 
Thread starter
Average number of miles (km) per year
CB1100: 8600 miles (13800 km)
SWE BMW-club: 8300 miles (13300 km)
SWE Insurance Co: 1800 miles (2900 km)
SWE registered bikes: 1240 miles (1980 km)

I am surprised that CB11 riders do more mileage per year than BMW riders! I always looked at BMW riders as really hard-core folks who love to ride no matter what the weather conditions are - they actually put their rain suit on just to go for a ride in the rain, whereas I avoid riding in the rain at all costs.
 
hmmm..SOME CB riders are hard core ;)

Empty Sea is one of the hardest core riders I know.

For someone who is a "rider", it really doesn't matter what motorcycle is between your legs.

There are riders, owners, and garage queen owners regardless of the brand of motorcycle.
 
Maybe the BMWs spend more time in the shop getting warranty and recall repairs?
 
Going to heat my garage... it won't be to 70, but maybe to the upper 50s in winter. Thanks for the tip that this might speed up corrosion so I can keep an eye on things. Problem is that when it's 40 in my garage, I won't clean my bike, not even with S100, so it will sit with whatever grime its accumulated during my winter rides. A slightly warmer garage gives me an opportunity to wash the bike and then have a cocktail and cigar comfortably while I make sure that it's completely dry....even if that takes two cocktails and a second cigar ;)
 
Should a bloke invest in a can of S100? Does it make cleaning the bike easier?
 
When Mom gave me a Harley Davidson gift card for my birthday last year (because I own a motorcycle), the only thing I could find at the Harley dealership that I could use was a bottle of S100 and the change in cash.

I always dry clean my bikes with some kind of waterless spray or detail spray, and I found the S100 to be no better or worse than any brand of detail spray I had ever used from Mothers, Meguires, Chemical Guys, Nanoskin, etc.
 
Thanks Gone in 60.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Should a bloke invest in a can of S100? Does it make cleaning the bike easier?
Yes.... much quicker. But don’t tell anyone who you may want to believe that it takes 3 hours and a few drinks to wash your bike
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Going to heat my garage... it won't be to 70, but maybe to the upper 50s in winter. Thanks for the tip that this might speed up corrosion so I can keep an eye on things. Problem is that when it's 40 in my garage, I won't clean my bike, not even with S100, so it will sit with whatever grime its accumulated during my winter rides. A slightly warmer garage gives me an opportunity to wash the bike and then have a cocktail and cigar comfortably while I make sure that it's completely dry....even if that takes two cocktails and a second cigar ;)
The worse scenario is salty bike, moisture and certain temperature.
Salt needs moisture to be active. Dry salt has much less impact on corrosion. Near 10*F/-12*C and below, salt is barely melting ice and working.
If you planning on washing your salty bike after your ride (when still warm), make sure to dry it out after.

Some helpful hints are better than nothing:

* "Wax protects the paint surface like an invisible shield"
* "In a bucket, mix 2 tablespoons of baking soda with a 1/2 cup of automotive wash and a 1/2 gallon of water. Stir the mixture, and apply the mixture to any areas of your vehicle containing road salt or a salt/sand mixture. You can run this just as you do soap threw your power washer."
* Need to do chain/sprockets maintenance more frequently, and I think gear oil would be of better protectant in winter conditions

Is not a rocket science :) Good luck and safe riding in winter Matt :thumbsup:
 
So, is it true what I've read about people building sprinklers into their driveways to clean road salt off of the bottom of the car before you pull into the garage?

I don't think I'd be able to cope with what you guys are talking about.
 
The ferret_imp said:
hmmm..SOME CB riders are hard core ;)

Empty Sea is one of the hardest core riders I know.

For someone who is a "rider", it really doesn't matter what motorcycle is between your legs.

There are riders, owners, and garage queen owners regardless of the brand of motorcycle.
I’m not “hard core”. I’m just trying to cram 50 years of riding into about (God willing) 25 years.
 
Cormanus, to follow up a little on keeping the machines clean, this product has been my go-to for the past few years. I use it on our cars right after washing them, and on both of my bikes as a daily spray-and-wipe to keep them clean. It removes just about anything.

It sprays on like water, and you wipe it off immediately. There's no waiting to dry, etc. It's a polymer, so it doesn't really seem like it does anything, but after a few hours it will leave everything nice and slick.

Nanoskin Hydro Express - Hydrophobic Spray Polymer - 1 gal
 
Thanks again, Gone in 60. My bike has a hard life and is cleaned only when necessary. I'm interested in anything to help me get into the hard to reach bits of the bike.
 
Incredibly, my ol' CB1100 never saw a bucket of suds and a rinsing hose. Mother Nature seemed to the job well enough.

The under carriage salt cakes stayed until the spring rains.
 
Regarding the hard to reach spots, when mine is up on the center stand for chain lubing, I usually take the opportunity to spray my detailer of choice around the swing arm and up under the innards and wipe it all out.

Of course in my case I’m removing some dust and the few dirty spots from unavoidable puddles, but it would be a good time to get to salt and stuff. I find that getting to when you have the chance keeps it from accumulating.

But then again I’m the guy thinking of repainting his horn brackets.
 
Back
Top