Rubber Lever End Thingies

Not to cause a disturbance in the force, but

Faux RLETs.
Dipped my lever ends in Plasti-dip. This method provides all of the scientifically verifiable advantages of traditional RLETs, such as finger warming due to heat absorption, improved fuel economy by the warmer areas at the critical lever ends causing less resistance, and of course reduced handlebar buzz. It also provides the same level of protection for automotive finishes in close encounters of the garage variety. All while maintaining the classic good looks of the real thing.
I would have to say that any difference can only be attributed to some imagined, unscientific "magic", and may only exist in the mind.

Ben
 
My problem must be not using a rag or rubber gloves to get a better grip... I'll give it another go and hopefully get my angle airborne soon!!

The plastic dip looks good but not oem... thinner, shinier AND no hole at the end, lol.
 
Heaven help us. If this is a new trend this forum is doomed. Is nothing sacred? Why wear gloves, when you can dip? Who needs socks, when you can dip? Who will need a helmet, when you can dip? Maybe they will start dipping their rims and who will need tires when you can dip? Just think of the impact to all of those industries when people startup to follow this trend. It starts with one small factory of poor Chinese workers being turned out on the streets because of the lack of demand for RLETS and spreads, totally uncontrolled, through industries throughout the globe. We are all doomed. Stop the madness before it's to late!

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
Ben70_imp said:
Better response than I expected! I figured it would be like "A witch! A witch! Burn her!" :)

Ben
Well, thats pretty much what I wanted to say... :D
 
Thread starter
Ben, you seem like a reasonable sort of bloke, but Plasti-dip on your knob? Really? As you said yourself, it's 'faux'. That means it's an imitation; a fake. So, by your own definition, it isn't an RLET.

But what's really concerning is that I think you may be delusional. That faux stuff on the end of your lever does not provide any of the benefits of the real thing. Those who have attained the humble status of wing donor understand: the benefits of RLETs come only from the strange symbiotic relationship between the RLETs themselves and the act of installation.

So, do yourself a favour: scrape them off, put your hand in your pocket and buy some real ones. Instal them; tell us about it. That way you may just escape popgun and his little box of matches and avoid being the cause of the sort of global catastrophe Retsel has so elegantly outlined.

Meanwhile, read this thread. Carefully.
 
The real thingies...


from pouch to lever ends


Retsal's grim portrait of global decline caused me to rethink "dipping my knob".
Not as easy as the dip, but definitely worthwhile. My biggest obstacle on installation was fear of ripping the little buggers, but it turns out they are tough as a cheap steak.
The dip is extremely durable, however, and I could recommend it for completing the blackout of a '14 standard if one was so inclined. Except the lever ends, of course.
;)

Ben
 
Thread starter
Very nice work indeed, Ben. Well done.

I'm sure the Ferret will be organising angels and wings and that sort of thing.

Nice photo, too.
 
Ben70_imp said:
The real thingies...


from pouch to lever ends


Retsal's grim portrait of global decline caused me to rethink "dipping my knob".
Not as easy as the dip, but definitely worthwhile. My biggest obstacle on installation was fear of ripping the little buggers, but it turns out they are tough as a cheap steak.
The dip is extremely durable, however, and I could recommend it for completing the blackout of a '14 standard if one was so inclined. Except the lever ends, of course.
;)

Ben
:angel: and another angel gets her wings
 
Good morning CB friends, from here in Western North Carolina. And what a grand and glorious day it is! The birds are chirping a happier song, the sun is shining more brightly than ever, and the springtime air smells its sweetest ever... for, you see, yesterday I joined this elite club!! I succumbed to my desires almost 6 months ago, but, sadly those beautiful bits of black rubber lay anguishing in my toolbox until yesterday. Sadly, I admit that I was intimidated by my own false fears of how difficult they would be to install. Intimidated by the possibility of failure or defeat... until I summoned all my courage, prepared a cup of nearly boiling water, staged my WD-40 can, donned my mechanix gloves, and set to the task. Initially, I had wanted to start my cellphone stopwatch, trying to beat Nemo's record, but, alas, humility got the better of me, and I re-defined success as just getting those beautiful little bits installed correctly, without damage to their seemingly fragile bodies. My result, you ask? First one went on in an estimated 15-20 seconds; second one took two tries, and about 30 seconds. How do I know? Because I held my breath both times! Hot water, WD-40, and gloves with a good grip are your path to success!

Now, I'm ready to reap the rewards of improved gas milage, smoother accelerations, and the accolades of bystanders everywhere as I drive by. Now I feel truly complete, as an owner, a rider, and as a person!

So, my lesson to those of you out there contemplating following my personal journey of fulfillment, I say this: Don't succumb to the temptations of the "faux side" of the RLET force! Show your true make-up; find your courage!! For at the end of this journey, you will find true happiness!
 
You're one of 'us' now Ben! If you go to the rally, Ferret will show you the secrete handshake.

And you too A-Man! A Padawan learner no longer are you!
 
Ben70_imp said:
Brothers and Sisters, let's hear a Hallelujah!!

Ben
Angels getting their wings and just in time for Easter! :clap:
 
Congratulations! Real CBers don't dip.

The rubber of the babies is tough. Hard to tear.

See not as hard as you thought!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
 
Thread starter
I sense the Force is quieter today.
 
After reading this thread, I pulled the trigger and ordered mine this morning. I'm thinking I'll take a few days off work to get them installed.


2013 Honda CB1100
 
The A-man_imp said:
Good morning CB friends, from here in Western North Carolina. And what a grand and glorious day it is! The birds are chirping a happier song, the sun is shining more brightly than ever, and the springtime air smells its sweetest ever... for, you see, yesterday I joined this elite club!! I succumbed to my desires almost 6 months ago, but, sadly those beautiful bits of black rubber lay anguishing in my toolbox until yesterday. Sadly, I admit that I was intimidated by my own false fears of how difficult they would be to install. Intimidated by the possibility of failure or defeat... until I summoned all my courage, prepared a cup of nearly boiling water, staged my WD-40 can, donned my mechanix gloves, and set to the task. Initially, I had wanted to start my cellphone stopwatch, trying to beat Nemo's record, but, alas, humility got the better of me, and I re-defined success as just getting those beautiful little bits installed correctly, without damage to their seemingly fragile bodies. My result, you ask? First one went on in an estimated 15-20 seconds; second one took two tries, and about 30 seconds. How do I know? Because I held my breath both times! Hot water, WD-40, and gloves with a good grip are your path to success!

Now, I'm ready to reap the rewards of improved gas milage, smoother accelerations, and the accolades of bystanders everywhere as I drive by. Now I feel truly complete, as an owner, a rider, and as a person!

So, my lesson to those of you out there contemplating following my personal journey of fulfillment, I say this: Don't succumb to the temptations of the "faux side" of the RLET force! Show your true make-up; find your courage!! For at the end of this journey, you will find true happiness!
Sweet! and another angel gets her wings :angel:
 
Back
Top