Rubber Lever End Thingies

Ok...I just returned from the dealer where I bought my CB1100 a few weeks ago and the service manage informed me that all who install RLETs at home void their warranty! He said this work must be performed by them at rate of 1 service hour...I'm calling BS, naturally. Anybody run into this issue?

Second, I find it difficult to believe that there is no Youtube video for installing these...come on! 52 pages and no Youtube install video. I'm losing my faith in everybody here.

Finally, I'm not saying I'm not buying the RLETs, but I DO want to be on the right side of this:

 
If there was a YouTube video on the install, neophytes might bypass the RLET Thread. That would be like trying to learn the Crane Technique without Mr. Miyagi - you may learn the motions, but would never have balance.
 
You must achieve enlightenment on your own, young Padawan. No YouTube, no service manager. Do or do not. There is no try.
 
pdedse_imp said:
Elipten_imp said:
Yes!


2014 CB1100 DLX
2013 CB1100 Std
1990 BMW K75 RT
Awright...on p18, have learned more about cb1100s than I have in the previous 3 three weeks.
Awright...on p18, have learned more about cb1100s than I have in the previous 3 three weeks. I don't know about learning more about the CB but this posting certainly has taught me more about the people in this forum that I needed to know! :angel:

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Every now and again there is an outbreak of heresy on the subject of RLETs. YouTube Video indeed. Harrumph!
 
It is clear to me that the RLET's original purpose has been lost. Obviously intended as a means of protecting the lever ends while in shipping, dealers failed to read assembly instruction 99c which instructed the tech to heat the RLET and remove before delivery. Later, Honda wisely stopped applying the RLETs realizing they were an anachronism akin to whalebone corsets. The wise men who engineered the modern CB1100 would have equipped the CB with RLET's if they reasoned them necessary. I know I speak heresy here but today's heresy often becomes tomorrows orthodoxy.
 
Lost ? what's been lost is the polite rider who adds RLETS to the widest most part of their bike. :D They're obvious intent was to protect cars from getting keyed by lane splitting riders, which was very common in crowded asian and european streets (and CA highways) back in the 60s and 70s. I guess Honda didn't expect there to be many Lane Splitting geezers on CB1100s, so as to save us a couple of bucks they made them an option.
 
Chapomis_imp said:
Lost ? what's been lost is the polite rider who adds RLETS to the widest most part of their bike. :D They're obvious intent was to protect cars from getting keyed by lane splitting riders, which was very common in crowded asian and european streets (and CA highways) back in the 60s and 70s. I guess Honda didn't expect there to be many Lane Splitting geezers on CB1100s, so as to save us a couple of bucks they made them an option.
So that is the reason they are made. I've always wondered what their purpose was. Save a couple bucks, I wonder what Honda pays for them? Probably made in China. Maybe a quarter a piece?
 
Its illegal now, but in some parts of the world riders would sharpen their lever ends, like the wheels of Roman Chariots. I wonder if the Modern Speedway riders ever considered that ?
 
All right, I'm saying it again. NOBODY show Redbirds the secret handshake!!
 
Thread starter
redbirds_imp said:
It is clear to me that the RLET's original purpose has been lost. Obviously intended as a means of protecting the lever ends while in shipping, dealers failed to read assembly instruction 99c which instructed the tech to heat the RLET and remove before delivery. Later, Honda wisely stopped applying the RLETs realizing they were an anachronism akin to whalebone corsets. The wise men who engineered the modern CB1100 would have equipped the CB with RLET's if they reasoned them necessary. I know I speak heresy here but today's heresy often becomes tomorrows orthodoxy.
Chapomis_imp said:
Lost ? what's been lost is the polite rider who adds RLETS to the widest most part of their bike. :D They're obvious intent was to protect cars from getting keyed by lane splitting riders, which was very common in crowded asian and european streets (and CA highways) back in the 60s and 70s. I guess Honda didn't expect there to be many Lane Splitting geezers on CB1100s, so as to save us a couple of bucks they made them an option.
redbirds_imp said:
Why no RHBEWT's then? (Rubber Handlebar End Weight Thingies)
Forgive my posting so many quotes, but redbirds has hit on a couple of interesting points here. And, no, his faint and futile optimism about his heresy converting to orthodoxy is not one of them.

The first lies in his keen observation that the end weight is actually the bike's extremity. Using the end of a brake or clutch lever to 'key' a car is actually a remarkably difficult feat (God knows I've tried) and were I to want to make a habit of that sort of automative vandalism, I'd be redesigning the end weight so it ended in a serrated end that left exquisite scratches in cage doors. It would be the motorcycle equivalent of the hub nut on James Bond's Aston Martin DB5 in Goldfinger.

The second is his recollection of the alleged assembly instruction. It's nice, but it just doesn't compute. He's right that rubber prophylactic devices are commonly rolled over knobs to prevent harm. Most understand they are delightfully easy to apply and, when they have done their work, come off easily. But the RLET? Was a prophylactic device ever more difficult to apply? Read the posts on this thread. Ask anyone—maybe even redbirds himself, although I can't recall whether he was there—who witnessed no less an RLET guru than the Ferret himself try to get a couple on to ride4now's CB1100 at Robbinsville—if it's easy. It isn't.

These things were clearly designed never, ever, ever to be taken off.

But why, ladies and gentlemen? Why?
 
Cormanus_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
It is clear to me that the RLET's original purpose has been lost. Obviously intended as a means of protecting the lever ends while in shipping, dealers failed to read assembly instruction 99c which instructed the tech to heat the RLET and remove before delivery. Later, Honda wisely stopped applying the RLETs realizing they were an anachronism akin to whalebone corsets. The wise men who engineered the modern CB1100 would have equipped the CB with RLET's if they reasoned them necessary. I know I speak heresy here but today's heresy often becomes tomorrows orthodoxy.
Chapomis_imp said:
Lost ? what's been lost is the polite rider who adds RLETS to the widest most part of their bike. :D They're obvious intent was to protect cars from getting keyed by lane splitting riders, which was very common in crowded asian and european streets (and CA highways) back in the 60s and 70s. I guess Honda didn't expect there to be many Lane Splitting geezers on CB1100s, so as to save us a couple of bucks they made them an option.
redbirds_imp said:
Why no RHBEWT's then? (Rubber Handlebar End Weight Thingies)
Forgive my posting so many quotes, but redbirds has hit on a couple of interesting points here. And, no, his faint and futile optimism about his heresy converting to orthodoxy is not one of them.

The first lies in his keen observation that the end weight is actually the bike's extremity. Using the end of a brake or clutch lever to 'key' a car is actually a remarkably difficult feat (God knows I've tried) and were I to want to make a habit of that sort of automative vandalism, I'd be redesigning the end weight so it ended in a serrated end that left exquisite scratches in cage doors. It would be the motorcycle equivalent of the hub nut on James Bond's Aston Martin DB5 in Goldfinger.

The second is his recollection of the alleged assembly instruction. It's nice, but it just doesn't compute. He's right that rubber prophylactic devices are commonly rolled over knobs to prevent harm. Most understand they are delightfully easy to apply and, when they have done their work, come off easily. But the RLET? Was a prophylactic device ever more difficult to apply? Read the posts on this thread. Ask anyone—maybe even redbirds himself, although I can't recall whether he was there—who witnessed no less an RLET guru than the Ferret himself try to get a couple on to ride4now's CB1100 at Robbinsville—if it's easy. It isn't.

These things were clearly designed never, ever, ever to be taken off.

But why, ladies and gentlemen? Why?
Indeed, I was there along with Lady Pamela. It was not a pretty sight nor one easily forgotten. Such sounds as I had not heard since being witness to the mating of feral swine whilst bow hunting in Blackfish Swamp. Lady Pamela, trapped in the bawdy crowd that had gathered to watch, needed retire to our rooms and was barely recovered enough to ride by next day and is still troubled by the whole seedy affair.

A keen blade doth remove them as I can attest.
 
The postman cameth...
0a1598e23836d036cef49d54a7b92f67.jpg


The dealer didn't have any real plates when I purchased the bike a month ago and so they said they would mail it to me when it came in. Meanwhile, I ordered a certain part-with-no-name and they were kind enough to combine the plate and thingy and they got here today! This just might be my only farkle for the life of this bike!

Out of deference to wiser ones than I, I'll not post any youtube video highlighting my secret 15 second microwave / 1 drop of olive oil application technique.
545ba50f5768179d602ef1743feaf1c5.jpg
 
Thread starter
No, pdedse, tell us the trick! Please.

Congratulations. Ferret will get off his bike some time and tell you about Angels and Popgun will teach you the secret handshake.

Redbirds and Pterodactyl will pooh pooh the whole thing. It is, of course, entirely their prerogative to be wrong.

:thumbsup:
 
pdedse_imp said:
The postman cameth...
0a1598e23836d036cef49d54a7b92f67.jpg


The dealer didn't have any real plates when I purchased the bike a month ago and so they said they would mail it to me when it came in. Meanwhile, I ordered a certain part-with-no-name and they were kind enough to combine the plate and thingy and they got here today! This just might be my only farkle for the life of this bike!

Out of deference to wiser ones than I, I'll not post any youtube video highlighting my secret 15 second microwave / 1 drop of olive oil application technique.
545ba50f5768179d602ef1743feaf1c5.jpg
and another angel gets her wings :angel:
 
Never show Redbirds the secrete handshake. Jus sayin. :)
 
Cormanus_imp said:
No, pdedse, tell us the trick! Please.

Congratulations. Ferret will get off his bike some time and tell you about Angels and Popgun will teach you the secret handshake.

Redbirds and Pterodactyl will pooh pooh the whole thing. It is, of course, entirely their prerogative to be wrong.

:thumbsup:
:sleepy: haha...let's just say it was a compilation of reading 54 pages of this--can't teach an old dog new tricks, indeed! What I never did read about was how you determine which RLET is for the right lever and which for the left. :P ? It's all good...I think I got it right.
 
Back
Top