Road Comet Fairing

I'd like to add my experience with the Road Comet 1 I just installed.
BTW- I am 6'0" tall and wear a full face helmet.

Without it, at 60-65 MPH and higher, I was feeling a lot of heavy air on my chest and abdomen, so much so that I felt like it was pushing me off the bike and I was struggling to stay in one place. My helmet was not bothered by this.

With the fairing, the air now hits me across my collarbone area. I'm not thrilled about this, but one plus is the fact that the air is hitting right where my riding suit has zipper openings for cooling. Still fairly solid, but I don't feel like I'm being pushed backwards. My helmet is still for the most part, unaffected, but I do feel a bit of a breeze coming up under my helmet. Nothing bothersome, it's not buffeting me, and it does keep me cooler too. What I do notice is whatever air is coming up that way is making me hear it, my helmet suddenly got louder. Nothing some earplugs won't fix, but it was much quieter before the fairing went on.

All in all, I very much like the look, but I don't know just yet if it'll make highway touring all that much more enjoyable. I think the wind screen being angled back so much and is so close to your body, that a taller screen may not be better, it'll bring the top of the screen even closer to your chest.
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
I'd like to add my experience with the Road Comet 1 I just installed.
BTW- I am 6'0" tall and wear a full face helmet.

Without it, at 60-65 MPH and higher, I was feeling a lot of heavy air on my chest and abdomen, so much so that I felt like it was pushing me off the bike and I was struggling to stay in one place. My helmet was not bothered by this.

With the fairing, the air now hits me across my collarbone area. I'm not thrilled about this, but one plus is the fact that the air is hitting right where my riding suit has zipper openings for cooling. Still fairly solid, but I don't feel like I'm being pushed backwards. My helmet is still for the most part, unaffected, but I do feel a bit of a breeze coming up under my helmet. Nothing bothersome, it's not buffeting me, and it does keep me cooler too. What I do notice is whatever air is coming up that way is making me hear it, my helmet suddenly got louder. Nothing some earplugs won't fix, but it was much quieter before the fairing went on.

All in all, I very much like the look, but I don't know just yet if it'll make highway touring all that much more enjoyable. I think the wind screen being angled back so much and is so close to your body, that a taller screen may not be better, it'll bring the top of the screen even closer to your chest.
George,

Anytime we redirect air there is a + and - It seems a taller screen would hit a bit higher in the helmet area causing more wind noise and buffeting. I have cut down my screen 3 times and find the best place to direct wind is at my shoulders. Full coverage above the helmet will allow air to come up from underneath without a full fairing and increase wind and noise from the motor. Damned if we do, damned if we don't:)
 
I got the taller windscreen and I am happy with it. I too am getting the wind right about at my chin, but I'm good with that. I had a Streetshield EX and had quite a bit of buffeting above 65 MPH, but with this my head is in clean air and everything is much smoother.

67c46a7bf94a3349428e3f8d8079a44f.jpg
 
Are the windscreens available separately from the fairing?
CIP57_imp said:
ClassicVW_imp said:
I'd like to add my experience with the Road Comet 1 I just installed.
BTW- I am 6'0" tall and wear a full face helmet.

Without it, at 60-65 MPH and higher, I was feeling a lot of heavy air on my chest and abdomen, so much so that I felt like it was pushing me off the bike and I was struggling to stay in one place. My helmet was not bothered by this.

With the fairing, the air now hits me across my collarbone area. I'm not thrilled about this, but one plus is the fact that the air is hitting right where my riding suit has zipper openings for cooling. Still fairly solid, but I don't feel like I'm being pushed backwards. My helmet is still for the most part, unaffected, but I do feel a bit of a breeze coming up under my helmet. Nothing bothersome, it's not buffeting me, and it does keep me cooler too. What I do notice is whatever air is coming up that way is making me hear it, my helmet suddenly got louder. Nothing some earplugs won't fix, but it was much quieter before the fairing went on.

All in all, I very much like the look, but I don't know just yet if it'll make highway touring all that much more enjoyable. I think the wind screen being angled back so much and is so close to your body, that a taller screen may not be better, it'll bring the top of the screen even closer to your chest.
George,

Anytime we redirect air there is a + and - It seems a taller screen would hit a bit higher in the helmet area causing more wind noise and buffeting. I have cut down my screen 3 times and find the best place to direct wind is at my shoulders. Full coverage above the helmet will allow air to come up from underneath without a full fairing and increase wind and noise from the motor. Damned if we do, damned if we don't:)
George,

Anytime we redirect air there is a + and - It seems a taller screen would hit a bit higher in the helmet area causing more wind noise and buffeting. I have cut down my screen 3 times and find the best place to direct wind is at my shoulders. Full coverage above the helmet will allow air to come up from underneath without a full fairing and increase wind and noise from the motor. Damned if we do, damned if we don't:)
I agree with you. I think we sometimes expect too much from these small fairings and windshields. I guess having the wind at my shoulders is the best compromise.

What you describe might explain the wind noise I'm getting. I don't think I hear more motor noise, but I am 60 and have been on the firing range since I was 20, and back then ear protection was optional. Not anymore.
 
I always worry about puddles under the engine. :P

Nice work fuark. The bike looks great.
 
Just curious, how much trouble is it to install/take off the rode comet fairings? I like the naked look but I am getting old and taking wind at 70-75 is old too. In fact, its beating me to death. For once, I think a short rider like myself my even benefit more from one of these. Just trying to think ahead.
 
OldF7Guy_imp said:
Just curious, how much trouble is it to install/take off the rode comet fairings? I like the naked look but I am getting old and taking wind at 70-75 is old too. In fact, its beating me to death. For once, I think a short rider like myself my even benefit more from one of these. Just trying to think ahead.
The install is to replace the bolts holding the bucket to the bracket with the supplies ones and attach a bracket to the horns and bolt it on with three bolts.
You do need to attach the windscreen before installation, but that's not that hard. Just make sure to clean any fingerprints off before you install in on the bike. :blush:
 
If you meant taking it off and on once in a while, I'd say 5-10 minutes.
Be aware, though, that it will not take the airstream off of you. It's not big enough for that. It will only redirect it. I'm 6' tall and without the Comet I was feeling way too much air directly on my stomach, so much that at 60 MPH+ it felt like I'd be pushed off the bike.

With the Comet, the air now hits me across the collarbone area, there's somewhat less force to it than what I was feeling before, its kind of welcome in the summer heat, Probably not so welcome in colder temperatures. A shorter rider may get the air square in the faceshield, which also may not be desirable, could be tiring to your neck.

The comet is short, and it's angled so the air is still directed backward, not like a taller windshield which may direct the air up and over you. Hope this helps you.
 
Ditto what ClassicVW says. I'm shorter at about 5'7" and the airflow with the stock screen hits me in the chest/collar bone area, but it's a clean airflow and welcome in the heat. I had the taller touring screen and thought it was fine but started to wonder how come my new helmet seemed noisier than my older helmet so I stood up on the pegs to get my head into clean airflow ..... and it got quiet.

Tested out riding the bike without any fairing or windscreen and it IS pretty quiet, but yeah you do get the full blast of wind on the freeway. So I switched back to the stock lower screen on the fairing and the airflow is clean, the helmet is quieter and my body stays cooler ...... won't work well for you guys when the weather gets cool soon, but I'm in Hawaii so what the heck?

Yep, removing or installing is quick with just three hex head screws, one on each side of the headlight bucket, one underneath to the supplied support bracket by the horns.

I installed the almost invisible nylon washers (wait till you drop one and have to crawl around finding it) in between the screen and the fairing for cushioning and to provide the small gap so water could drain from between the two. The only way I could hold those nylon washers in position was to use a tiny dab of hot glue so they wouldn't run away when I positioned the screen. A bit of grease would also work, but the old glue gun was handier.

When I had the washers under the bolt heads on the top surface of the screen (nothing in between the screen and the fairing) water would get stuck in between and would not drain or dry out cleanly, so I used the washers to get the gap in between them.

Just be careful when tightening the windscreen bolts and don't get aggressive and crack the screen, somehow I managed to get a small crack from one bolt hole to the edge from stress.

Aloha,
Huladog
 
Hi,
I bought the Road Comet 2 and I think I understand the part about the screws near the head light, but I don't get what you're supposed to do with the horn bracket.
I guessed that the screw in the front middle of the horn system would come out to mount that 3rd bracket there, but when I tried that, it seemed like the 3rd bracket wouldn't fit in there.

My other question: Don't we need a nut for the small screw on the other side of the L. Maybe I'm missing something, but I was thinking a nut would be necessary for that bolt and washer to be worth anything.

Thanks,
Ben
 
Yes, a small bolt and nut and an "L' bracket is supplied with the Road Comet. That bolt goes thru the top leg of the small "L" bracket and into the Road Comet, and the nut gets secured on top.

For the lower end of the "L" bracket, you unscrew the nut that is on the front of the horn bracket. You then put the lower end of the "L" bracket onto the bolt that is on the horn bracket and resecure the nut you removed.
 
Ok, I guess my nut must have gotten lost. I'll go and buy something that matches the bolt at Advance Auto or something.
Also, my L bracket came with an extra washer taped to it, is that meant to go in with the washer and the nut that are already part of the horn bracket type system? I took that nut off the horn bracket once already and explored the idea of putting the L bracket on it, and it looked like it would be a very tight fit if possible at all.

Thanks,
Ben
 
It is a tight fit, I recall wondering if it would work, but it did. I used the washer on the top part, against the fairing, under the nut, so not to stress the fairing fiberglass.
 
Ok, in the meantime, I looked at the indiscernible "instructions" again and based on the vague illustrations, I guessed that the nut I was supposed to use on the top part of the "L" was that nut that's part of the "L" and I made that be above the bottom of the fiber glass for the bolt to secure the two together (with a washer between the bolt and fiberglass. I did this and it looks cool and whatever, but I can undo it if this isn't right.
Also, I'm wondering if I should have done the headlight mount bits on the left and right sides first, don't think I can get the original bolts out with the fairing sitting there, doh!.

Thanks,
Ben
 
I just got a road comet 1 from samurider this past Thursday and it is unchanged from the one in the picture in original post. Looks like either they still haven't changed the design or they are still getting rid of old stock. They had it in stock so it could be the case that newer ones will have a redesigned lip. There is a bit of light leakage at night through the fairing from the headlight but it is very slight and nothing distracting at this point. If it gets worse, I'll fix it with some electrical tape or something.

Yeah, the L bracket on the bottom hooking to the horn bracket was a pain as was figuring out how/why to replace the horn bracket extensions. It didn't take too long to figure it out though.
 
Randy B_imp said:
I got the taller windscreen and I am happy with it. I too am getting the wind right about at my chin, but I'm good with that. I had a Streetshield EX and had quite a bit of buffeting above 65 MPH, but with this my head is in clean air and everything is much smoother.

67c46a7bf94a3349428e3f8d8079a44f.jpg
I'm thinking of exactly same touring screen.
How it behaves at 80-90 mph?

Riding for hours at speed 80+ mph on naked bike develops huge load on neck, which was a reason for me to visit doctor. I understand, the best option is probably to get some touring bike which is built for that purpose, but I love my CB, and I'm trying to find the way to fix the problem staying with the same bike.
 
Back
Top