Road Comet Fairing

CB4ME_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
One of the complaints with the Road Comet I was the gap in the headlight opening which allowed an annoying amount of light from the headlight to illuminate the inside of the fairing at night.

Chic Beck came up with an inexpensive fix, sealing the area around the headlight housing to block that unwanted light.

I just got a RC II. The well of the headlight openning is a good 1 inch deeper and actually forms a seal against the headlight, blocking any light.

Here is a picture showing the difference. Note that both the RC 1 and RC 2 are nearly identical in size, but the picture's perspective makes the closer RCII look bigger.

83d658f6ed9b5b74391326352e149084.jpg


Hats off to Chic Design for fixing this issue. I'm curious if they have modified the RC I as well.
 
Very nice picture and explanation, and the way you titled it, will make it easy to pull up in the future. Good job and thanks CB4ME!
 
Thread starter
The question remains. Did Chic Design redesign the RC I this year to eliminate the gap? Has anyone bought a RC I recently?

I checked it out and the RC II faintly illuminates the inside of the fairing at night. The inside of an RFC I is lit up like a solar flare due to the big gap.

Another question. Will Chic Design sell their touring screen as a seperate item and if so, for how much?

I'm tempted to ask the great one, Mr T.

EDIT: Email to Takashi sent
 
Keep in mind that usually there will be old stock to deplete before any re-designs will be available soo.....
 
Thread starter
Takasahi said the Chic Design manager was out of the office but he'll ask them about a redesign on the Road Comet I today. Chic Design clearly recognized the issue when they designed the RC II.

There may be some tooling or mould issues involved in giving the RC I a deeper headlight well, but they should make the modification.

Guess what - touring shields are available as a seperate item. You can change out the shield for long highway rides or colder weather.

But nothing associated with CB1100 accessories from Japan comes cheap:

Clear/Transparent version: 14000yen
CHIC DESIGN - エアロスクリーン クリア

Smoke/Tinted version: 16000yen
CHIC DESIGN - エアロスクリーン スモーク
 
What a timely thread and open door for my questions :). I've been considering an RC2, but it's a significant chunk of change for something that can't be returned. With the caveat that I have wrung out the search field looking for this info and ended up more confused than clarified, can the current RC2 users confirm the following?

-Does the RC2 actually have some decent performance when it comes to taking the wind off your torso while leaving your head in clean air? I had a lousy experience with the highly rated NC Deflector and could never find a sweet spot that didn't "blow". Buffeting and noise were all beyond what I would consider a good trade for the protection I received.

-The touring shield provides better coverage, but is buffeting/wind noise increased? Would you consider the performance over the standard screen worth the $$?

I really don't mind the wind at normal highway speeds, but throw in a headwind, and I really start wishing I had some cover.

My specs if it matters: 5' 9", 30" inseam.
 
Todd_K I can only comment on the RC2; standard shield.
I’m 5’10 32” inseam, always wearing a helmet.
I found that riding above 55MPH I personally was being moved around on the seat of the CB. I did not like the way the wind would “push” me around on the seat, so I started looking for a little wind break, and went with the RC2. I can’t think of a better way to describe it other than being pushed around by the wind.
I was a bit surprised as to the amount of wind protection I get. Not tried the touring lip shield. I no longer feel any wind across my chest and abdomen, but the wind still pushes my helmet around above 65MPH, but it’s nothing like it was before. Around town, in the City, there is virtually no wind at all that I notice coming at me, and it has increased the ride enjoyment for me.
As far as noise, I have not noticed any new noise or the buffeting sound anywhere behind the RC2.
 
Thread starter
At 55 to 60 mph, if you hold your left hand flat a few inches in front of your torso and raise it up and down, you get a pretty good feel for the level of protection. And it's pretty impressive. There is much less wind from below waist level to a few inches above mid-chest. (I'm 6' 1"). Upper chest, shoulders, head and arms are in clean air. No wind noise.

I'll probably order the touring shield for winter riding. 40mm may not see like a lot, but wind protection extends a couple inches above the top of the shield, at least with the standard shield. A touring shield should extend coverage and hopefully not introduce annoying wind buffetting/noise.

All of that said, the RC I or II will not provide the protection of a SERIOUS fairing. It won't keep you dry in the rain. It's just too small. But it does look good, and it may help reduce the wind force on your torso.

My 2 cents...........make that one cent.
 
Thanks guys - pretty much what I was hoping for. I know it's not a Windjammer, but also want to know there is some "go" along with the "show".
 
Just got my RC1! Thank you CB4ME! It's going to get a lot of extra rubber and maybe some stainless steel hardware for the shield.

I was surprised to see that the inside was unfinished fiberglass (but well glazed). It's certainly going to get a few coats of plastidip.
 
Todd_K_imp said:
What a timely thread and open door for my questions :). I've been considering an RC2, but it's a significant chunk of change for something that can't be returned. With the caveat that I have wrung out the search field looking for this info and ended up more confused than clarified, can the current RC2 users confirm the following?

-Does the RC2 actually have some decent performance when it comes to taking the wind off your torso while leaving your head in clean air? I had a lousy experience with the highly rated NC Deflector and could never find a sweet spot that didn't "blow". Buffeting and noise were all beyond what I would consider a good trade for the protection I received.

-The touring shield provides better coverage, but is buffeting/wind noise increased? Would you consider the performance over the standard screen worth the $$?

I really don't mind the wind at normal highway speeds, but throw in a headwind, and I really start wishing I had some cover.

My specs if it matters: 5' 9", 30" inseam.
 
Back
Top