Road Comet 2 Install

letsjet_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I just received my Road Comet 2 fairing and man is it nice! Looking for any install tips from someone who has installed one recently. Figured that I would ask to avoid the learning curve. Appreciate any tips to avoid the gotchas.
 
A member by the name of Chip Beck has a write up about how to stop headlight bleed through from the Road Comet 2, worth reading.
I found the install simple and straightforward, always cover the painted surfaces to protect them.
 
I've installed Bushwacker fender flares on many of my customer's Jeep Wranglers, and discovered a use for the flare to body "gimp" molding left over from the install. It's a self adhesive, triangle cross section rubber molding with a "wiper" sealing lip which I applied to the inside of the headlight opening on my Road Comet. This perfectly seals the gap around the chrome headlight ring, but it makes the cowling alignment a bit more difficult.

Install the kit headlight bolts being careful not to dislodge the captive nuts inside the headlight shell. Leave them loose at this time. Install the cowling and button head Allen screws, but leave them loose also.

Wiggle the lower cowling mount into position on the "L" shaped bracket you are instructed to install on the horn mount, and leave the single cowling screw loose at this time. Tighten the headlight bolts when the headlight vertical aim is satisfactory, then all three cowling mounting screws. Note: Use the open end of a combination wrench to sneak between the mounted cowling and headlight brackets to tighten the headlight bolts once position is correct.

No light leakage, perfect seal around headlight, and any wind or road vibration is effectively dampened as the seal becomes a fourth mounting point.

Molding: 4 Wheel Parts - 4X4 Off Road Parts & Accessories For Trucks & Jeeps | 4WP
 
i installed mine per the instructions, fits great. Don't overthink it, the road comet looks awesome on this bike. My advice is bolt it on and go for a ride!
 
The Road Comet 1 does have the light leak "problem". I did a modified Chip Beck fix on mine.
 
RC2 has the light issue fixed. I added chrome door trim to the inside of the headlight opening. It made the install real tight in lining up the mounting screws to the headlight housing. But it looks good and the very solid contact with the entire headlight housing virtually eliminates fairing movement over bumps.
 
Fairing and side covers look great!
 
Yeah, we've heard that before, huh? :D
 
"All I need is this... that's all I need... and this.... this this and this is all I need... and this" (Steve Martin in the Jerk reference)
 
The ferret_imp said:
"All I need is this... that's all I need... and this.... this this and this is all I need... and this" (Steve Martin in the Jerk reference)
It's a sickness I tell ya, it's a sickness :rofl: :rofl:
 
Thread starter
I could do front and rear red fenders, red shift and clutch levers....but, that would "never happen". The color red is a serious addiction considering I have a red Jeep, red Ram 1500 & a red Shaker Challenger.
 
There is a red front fender for sale now in the classifieds for a great price...
 
letsjet_imp said:
Got the Road Comet 2 fairing and Honda Candy Red side covers installed. What a change in appearance, finally drying out a bit here in Reno so I'm ready to go for a ride. Got a big 22 miles on the CB1100. Thanks to all for the install tips. Metal chain guard is on order and, I'm done.



[url=http://s884.photobucket.com/user/letsjetcurt/media/roadcomet2.jpg.html]

Those red side covers makes the look of the 2013's so much better.. Looks fantastic now:beerchug:
 
Back
Top