RLETs downside

Mixagon_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
While working on my garage extension for the last couple of weeks I've had to park my CB in a different place which means walking by it many times and every time my clothing gets caught on the RLET :-/
Without RLETs any loose clothing would simply slide over the bar end and lever.

Is the bike trying to tell me it wants to go out :D
 
f1f689a9d96c614b7189ee1d8c0257ee.png
Hmmm and you think the problem are RLETs and not your loose clothing?

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
Mixagon_imp said:
While working on my garage extension for the last couple of weeks I've had to park my CB in a different place which means walking by it many times and every time my clothing gets caught on the RLET :-/
Without RLETs any loose clothing would simply slide over the bar end and lever.

Is the bike trying to tell me it wants to go out :D
Whoa! Tread carefully young Mixagon. To suggest that there may be a "downside" to RLETs borders on blasphemy. Perhaps a better insight might be that in the expansion of the garage, there may be room for a coat rack, whose hooks may instead be protruding clutch and brake levers ...... with RLETs. :)
 
PD and Tod, as usual, are correct.
 
pekingduck_imp said:
Mixagon_imp said:
While working on my garage extension for the last couple of weeks I've had to park my CB in a different place which means walking by it many times and every time my clothing gets caught on the RLET :-/
Without RLETs any loose clothing would simply slide over the bar end and lever.

Is the bike trying to tell me it wants to go out :D
Whoa! Tread carefully young Mixagon. To suggest that there may be a "downside" to RLETs borders on blasphemy. Perhaps a better insight might be that in the expansion of the garage, there may be room for a coat rack, whose hooks may instead be protruding clutch and brake levers ...... with RLETs. :)
Whoa! Tread carefully young Mixagon. To suggest that there may be a "downside" to RLETs borders on blasphemy. Perhaps a better insight might be that in the expansion of the garage, there may be room for a coat rack, whose hooks may instead be protruding clutch and brake levers ...... with RLETs. :)
:rofl: Hmm, most certainly a garage extension is an optimal solution and has additional benefits.

Of course, another perspective could be a reduction of weight, which is something I know I could benefit from.

But the RLETs assist and protect. Hardly a source of fault, eh?
 
Mixagon_imp said:
While working on my garage extension for the last couple of weeks I've had to park my CB in a different place which means walking by it many times and every time my clothing gets caught on the RLET :-/
Without RLETs any loose clothing would simply slide over the bar end and lever.

Is the bike trying to tell me it wants to go out :D
Uh...duh :biker:
 
Every time an unprotected CB1100 lever end touches an abrasive surface, a rider drops his motorcycle key down a drain somewhere.
 
Q: can I take one of my CB for a long trip/2 days (tomorrow) without RLETs..or is better to take the other one already equipped with ...??
Serious responders please :)
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Q: can I take one of my CB for a long trip/2 days (tomorrow) without RLETs..or is better to take the other one already equipped with ...??
Serious responders please :)
I can't come up with a serious response, sorry.

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
tod.branko_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Q: can I take one of my CB for a long trip/2 days (tomorrow) without RLETs..or is better to take the other one already equipped with ...??
Serious responders please :)
I can't come up with a serious response, sorry.

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
I can't come up with a serious response, sorry.

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
I really tried to redirect it with the "carbon fiber" protection reference, but ... :-/
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Q: can I take one of my CB for a long trip/2 days (tomorrow) without RLETs..or is better to take the other one already equipped with ...??
Serious responders please :)
yes you can, just be extra careful, ok?
 
Hummm. No RLETs. Mismatched tires. Yeah, be extra careful.
 
I have it on good authority that the engineer who designed the original RLETS back in the 60’s went to work for GM as the lead engineer for the Chevy Vega project.
 
I don't know, PB. RLETs protect the lever ends, but I personally would hesitate to embark on a long trip without some kind of protection installed on the RLETs as well. Some of the aftermarket protectors are fine for one or two seasons, but if you're serious about RLET protection you will want the Honda OEM protectors.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Q: can I take one of my CB for a long trip/2 days (tomorrow) without RLETs..or is better to take the other one already equipped with ...??
Serious responders please :)
pb, here's the easy solution. Swap levers.

In fact, there's a set of very high tech quick-release lever pivot pins on eBay that would solve this real problem. Only thing is, they cost more than RLETs.
 
Back
Top