Riding Tips

This one seems obvious, but pay attention where you're going. I ride in some very scenic areas and occasionally look too long at the scenery. This can get you into trouble pretty fast.
 
When approaching an intersection facing a potential left turner, watch the front wheels. The vast majority of drivers will start cranking on the steering wheel just before starting the turn. If you see the front wheels begin to turn, chances are very good that this cage is about to turn in front of you. This will give you an extra 1-2 seconds to figure out an escape route.

This method has saved me from "Left Turn Larry" several times over the years.
 
Never downshift in the middle of a left turn, downshift before you get into the turn
 
Flynrider_imp said:
When approaching an intersection facing a potential left turner, watch the front wheels. The vast majority of drivers will start cranking on the steering wheel just before starting the turn. If you see the front wheels begin to turn, chances are very good that this cage is about to turn in front of you. This will give you an extra 1-2 seconds to figure out an escape route.

This method has saved me from "Left Turn Larry" several times over the years.
Is this unorthodox?

I approach all intersections slowly, make eye contact to profile the oncoming driver, even aiming the headlight directly at him. My thumb is on the horn button and foot/hand at the brake. Once I feel confident everyone sees me, I accelerate to exit out.

Intersections must be the highest statistical risk of motorcycle/auto collisions.
 
sig_a_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
When approaching an intersection facing a potential left turner, watch the front wheels. The vast majority of drivers will start cranking on the steering wheel just before starting the turn. If you see the front wheels begin to turn, chances are very good that this cage is about to turn in front of you. This will give you an extra 1-2 seconds to figure out an escape route.

This method has saved me from "Left Turn Larry" several times over the years.
Is this unorthodox?

I approach all intersections slowly, make eye contact to profile the oncoming driver, even aiming the headlight directly at him. My thumb is on the horn button and foot/hand at the brake. Once I feel confident everyone sees me, I accelerate to exit out.

Intersections must be the highest statistical risk of motorcycle/auto collisions.
I don't know about unorthodox. My point was that the front wheel movement will tip you off a few seconds early.
 
Here's my way of understanding counter steering --

Counter steering a motorcycle produces mostly the same effect as controlled oversteer rotates a car, although in the opposite direction.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
sig_a_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
When approaching an intersection facing a potential left turner, watch the front wheels. The vast majority of drivers will start cranking on the steering wheel just before starting the turn. If you see the front wheels begin to turn, chances are very good that this cage is about to turn in front of you. This will give you an extra 1-2 seconds to figure out an escape route.

This method has saved me from "Left Turn Larry" several times over the years.
Is this unorthodox?

I approach all intersections slowly, make eye contact to profile the oncoming driver, even aiming the headlight directly at him. My thumb is on the horn button and foot/hand at the brake. Once I feel confident everyone sees me, I accelerate to exit out.

Intersections must be the highest statistical risk of motorcycle/auto collisions.
I don't know about unorthodox. My point was that the front wheel movement will tip you off a few seconds early.
I don't know about unorthodox. My point was that the front wheel movement will tip you off a few seconds early.
Just to add to this, the instructor who took my advanced rider course told me to watch the front wheels. He made the point that even though you may think you've made eye contact, yo have no real way of knowing that you have. Movement of the front wheels is the best indication a car is about to take off.
 
If you wear a dark shield as I often do, or use the flip down sun shields in most of the new helmets a driver cannot see your eyes. You may think you are making eye contact, but you're not (I made this mistake the other day before I realized I was wearing my helmet with the dark shield)
 
DJS_imp said:
PLP. (parking lot practice)
highly recommended after getting a new cycle or starting after a winter of being off the bike.
i have not had a chance to do a PLP with the cb1100 yet.
i hope to be able to this weekend.
the most important thing i need to do is work on braking and the ABS in a controlled environment.
emergency swerving is also very important.

also i am a firm believer in ATGATT.

and also recommend taking the safety class to new or returning riders.
hi there...was reading your post and I wanted to ask you what ATGATT means? ...thanks alot
 
ChipBeck_imp said:
Gentlemen,

There are two major components to potentially deadly pursuits like gun fighting, flying, and street biking. The first is physical skill set. The second and far more important is mindset. An entire book would be required to detail this but in short, most street riders are deficient in both areas.

Every year thousands of motorcyclists fail to make a turn and hit obstacles because they are afraid to lean farther fearing the bike will slide out from under them. They have no idea how far their bike can lean safely, or how hard they can brake, or how to brake. These physical skills are best learned on a track with good instructors. One quality track day course is both life changing and may save your life.

But the best track skills are worthless without an always "on" street survival mindset. Constant awareness of traffic, conditions, positioning, blind spots, etc, keeps a rider on point and ready to use those physical skills to evade, escape, stop, or take some other action. It's not enough to obey the traffic laws and assume auto drivers will both see you and do the same. To stay alive riders need to avoid accidents that are others fault.

The advise I give young riders is to imagine they an their motorcycle are completely invisible. How would you ride then? Would you ride beside a car or try to be in front or behind it? How would you approach a busy intersection if you were invisible? How wary would you be crossing a busy intersection or of a car at a stop sign that might pull out in front of you? If new riders imagine themselves invisible their mindset will immediately improve. Give it a try. All the best.
Chip
This is one of the best pieces of advice I have seen in a long time!
 
Quote:hi there...was reading your post and I wanted to ask you what ATGATT means? ...thanks alot
It's an acronym for All The Gear, All The Time

It's a philosophy, really. I'm a firm believer, as well.
 
Setchman_imp said:
Quote:hi there...was reading your post and I wanted to ask you what ATGATT means? ...thanks alot
It's an acronym for All The Gear, All The Time

It's a philosophy, really. I'm a firm believer, as well.
It's an acronym for All The Gear, All The Time

It's a philosophy, really. I'm a firm believer, as well.
My buddy, Uncle Charlie, will not ride with me if I dont show up properly dressed in all protective gear. He gives me a pass on the leather protective pants.
 
although i am ATGATT i will ride with people that are not.
i do believe in ones right to choose their level of protection.
 
There are jeans on the market with built in Kevlar panels and even armor inserts. Some of them look just like regular jeans. I had a pair of Draggin jeans save my butt once. I've got the hole in the knee and exposed Kevlar panel to prove it!
 
I have been thinking about a pair of those because I am not above wearing jeans ( did it yesterday or day before). I like being geared up, but sometimes I don't feel like dressing like I'm a Storm Trooper.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I have been thinking about a pair of those because I am not above wearing jeans ( did it yesterday or day before). I like being geared up, but sometimes I don't feel like dressing like I'm a Storm Trooper.
I highly recommend them, Ferret, whether Draggin or Tobacco. They made the difference between getting back on my bike and riding home and ending up in the hospital having gravel dug out of my knee.

The Tobacco ones are the better looking ones, I think - look pretty much like regular jeans.

Men & Women's Motorcycle Clothing & Apparel
You've found DRAGGIN
 
Me as well. I read the Sport Bike Track Days info and they require them. Also a Back Protector ? Might also be good for the colder weather. My rain pants add wind protection in colder weather, but no other protection. Let us know if you find any good deals.
 
ATGATT VS. SQUID



Chapomis wrote:
"2014 CB 1100 Deluxe (out of the crate, pick up on Monday !)"

Sweet, Monday's suppose to be a beauty.
 
Back
Top