Riding skills

I started riding in 1969, took the 80's and 90's off when the kids arrived, but after they were grown I got back into it. I've had a few bikes, I'm on my 14th now, and thought I was pretty well schooled up. Then, I recently went on a multi-day group ride with my latest machine, a 2009 Yamaha V-Star 1300. We were headed for the Bikes, Blues, and BBQ rally in Rogers, AR, from our place in Azle, Texas. Riding with a group of ten bikes, two trucks, and a chase truck. I was the only non-Harley in the group. I don't like to ride at night, especially in the rain, especially going fast, 90+ in the relativity dry periods. Once we got there, it rained off and on, and we rode hither and yon, thru some really beautiful country, route 12 in AR. I was always tail-end Charlie and even then had a few Oh, sh!t moments when another rider cut me off. Two of the guys collided head-on in a parking lot and totaled one of the bikes when the goose-neck bent and broke, but, that which doesn't kill you.... Not sure if I'll ever ride with those guys again.
 
My skills are down to nought. I clocked 20k miles before I turned 22 mostly on lightweight 2 stroke yamahas and I didnt get back on for 17 years. Done 50 miles so far and Im slowly nudging upwards. My first goal is to get rid off my awkwardness when I need to stop and stay before turning right :)
 
Thread starter
Thanks for all these insights ... experience, group thinking, other factors. Still, there is something else on my mind.
Riding a powerful motorcycle has its own dynamic. If you ride the same bike and same roads again and again, you gain experience, go faster, gain experience.... go even faster. It feels all natural, even when you’re not a pro. What felt daring a few years or months ago now feels good. This “feeling good” is known in many areas, not just cars or planes. Its happening is part of how our brain works - we adapt to our environment. But in few other places is it so dangerous .... and same much fun.

I realize more then ever before that this is a risk one cannot reduce by being or becoming aware of. One cannot ride entirely avoiding it.

Another (hidden) reason why we ride.
 
KeepLeft_imp said:
My skills are down to nought. I clocked 20k miles before I turned 22 mostly on lightweight 2 stroke yamahas and I didnt get back on for 17 years. Done 50 miles so far and Im slowly nudging upwards. My first goal is to get rid off my awkwardness when I need to stop and stay before turning right :)
I had a similar experience a couple of years ago which severely effected my riding confidence. I bought a 2004 BMW R1150RT four miles from my house and, on the way home dropped it. I stopped at a four-way stop, and, while waiting my turn, the bike fell out from under me. I have never had that happen and it really surprised me. I don't know to this day what happened, but a nice young man helped me get it upright and I rode it home. After that, I went back to basics. Every day I rode it slowly around the neighborhood, just stopping and starting, making turns from starts and re-gaining my confidence. It is a very top-heavy bike and does not handle nearly as well as the CB1100, so I got rid of it, but not before I felt very confident on it once again. I reviewed all the YouTube videos on slow-riding skills and learned a lot that helped improve my riding, both slow and fast. I am 82 years old and suddenly realizing that I am no longer as strong as I have been accustomed to all my life. I love riding and hope I will be able to continue, but time will tell. I wish you all the best.
:biker:
 
Thread starter
Nachodaddy_imp said:
KeepLeft_imp said:
My skills are down to nought. I clocked 20k miles before I turned 22 mostly on lightweight 2 stroke yamahas and I didnt get back on for 17 years. Done 50 miles so far and Im slowly nudging upwards. My first goal is to get rid off my awkwardness when I need to stop and stay before turning right :)
I had a similar experience a couple of years ago which severely effected my riding confidence. I bought a 2004 BMW R1150RT four miles from my house and, on the way home dropped it. I stopped at a four-way stop, and, while waiting my turn, the bike fell out from under me. I have never had that happen and it really surprised me. I don't know to this day what happened, but a nice young man helped me get it upright and I rode it home. After that, I went back to basics. Every day I rode it slowly around the neighborhood, just stopping and starting, making turns from starts and re-gaining my confidence. It is a very top-heavy bike and does not handle nearly as well as the CB1100, so I got rid of it, but not before I felt very confident on it once again. I reviewed all the YouTube videos on slow-riding skills and learned a lot that helped improve my riding, both slow and fast. I am 82 years old and suddenly realizing that I am no longer as strong as I have been accustomed to all my life. I love riding and hope I will be able to continue, but time will tell. I wish you all the best.
:biker:
How old were you when the “standing” BMW drop from under you ?
 
The Gecko_imp said:
Nachodaddy_imp said:
KeepLeft_imp said:
My skills are down to nought. I clocked 20k miles before I turned 22 mostly on lightweight 2 stroke yamahas and I didnt get back on for 17 years. Done 50 miles so far and Im slowly nudging upwards. My first goal is to get rid off my awkwardness when I need to stop and stay before turning right :)
I had a similar experience a couple of years ago which severely effected my riding confidence. I bought a 2004 BMW R1150RT four miles from my house and, on the way home dropped it. I stopped at a four-way stop, and, while waiting my turn, the bike fell out from under me. I have never had that happen and it really surprised me. I don't know to this day what happened, but a nice young man helped me get it upright and I rode it home. After that, I went back to basics. Every day I rode it slowly around the neighborhood, just stopping and starting, making turns from starts and re-gaining my confidence. It is a very top-heavy bike and does not handle nearly as well as the CB1100, so I got rid of it, but not before I felt very confident on it once again. I reviewed all the YouTube videos on slow-riding skills and learned a lot that helped improve my riding, both slow and fast. I am 82 years old and suddenly realizing that I am no longer as strong as I have been accustomed to all my life. I love riding and hope I will be able to continue, but time will tell. I wish you all the best.
:biker:
How old were you when the “standing” BMW drop from under you ?
How old were you when the “standing” BMW drop from under you ?
... I wasn't going to ask.

Now we wait. :s
 
The Gecko_imp said:
Nachodaddy_imp said:
KeepLeft_imp said:
My skills are down to nought. I clocked 20k miles before I turned 22 mostly on lightweight 2 stroke yamahas and I didnt get back on for 17 years. Done 50 miles so far and Im slowly nudging upwards. My first goal is to get rid off my awkwardness when I need to stop and stay before turning right :)
I had a similar experience a couple of years ago which severely effected my riding confidence. I bought a 2004 BMW R1150RT four miles from my house and, on the way home dropped it. I stopped at a four-way stop, and, while waiting my turn, the bike fell out from under me. I have never had that happen and it really surprised me. I don't know to this day what happened, but a nice young man helped me get it upright and I rode it home. After that, I went back to basics. Every day I rode it slowly around the neighborhood, just stopping and starting, making turns from starts and re-gaining my confidence. It is a very top-heavy bike and does not handle nearly as well as the CB1100, so I got rid of it, but not before I felt very confident on it once again. I reviewed all the YouTube videos on slow-riding skills and learned a lot that helped improve my riding, both slow and fast. I am 82 years old and suddenly realizing that I am no longer as strong as I have been accustomed to all my life. I love riding and hope I will be able to continue, but time will tell. I wish you all the best.
:biker:
How old were you when the “standing” BMW drop from under you ?
How old were you when the “standing” BMW drop from under you ? Gecko, it wasn't that long ago. I was 81 and had only recently sold a red BMW K 1300GT, which I thoroughly enjoyed riding and had no problems with it falling. One of the things I didn't like about either BMW is the huge number of screws holding on the tupperware.

GoldOxide_imp said:
The Gecko_imp said:
Nachodaddy_imp said:
KeepLeft_imp said:
My skills are down to nought. I clocked 20k miles before I turned 22 mostly on lightweight 2 stroke yamahas and I didnt get back on for 17 years. Done 50 miles so far and Im slowly nudging upwards. My first goal is to get rid off my awkwardness when I need to stop and stay before turning right :)
I had a similar experience a couple of years ago which severely effected my riding confidence. I bought a 2004 BMW R1150RT four miles from my house and, on the way home dropped it. I stopped at a four-way stop, and, while waiting my turn, the bike fell out from under me. I have never had that happen and it really surprised me. I don't know to this day what happened, but a nice young man helped me get it upright and I rode it home. After that, I went back to basics. Every day I rode it slowly around the neighborhood, just stopping and starting, making turns from starts and re-gaining my confidence. It is a very top-heavy bike and does not handle nearly as well as the CB1100, so I got rid of it, but not before I felt very confident on it once again. I reviewed all the YouTube videos on slow-riding skills and learned a lot that helped improve my riding, both slow and fast. I am 82 years old and suddenly realizing that I am no longer as strong as I have been accustomed to all my life. I love riding and hope I will be able to continue, but time will tell. I wish you all the best.
:biker:
How old were you when the “standing” BMW drop from under you ?
How old were you when the “standing” BMW drop from under you ?
... I wasn't going to ask.

Now we wait. :s
How old were you when the “standing” BMW drop from under you ?
... I wasn't going to ask.

Now we wait. :s :rofl:
GO, I blame you. I never dropped a bike until you came to Phoenix.
Now I have to shop for training wheels.
:beerchug:
 
Interesting thread and I want to take a few minutes to highlight it with two things. First, this really good video, about 10 minutes long, discussing the best bikes for older riders and why they/we should consider downsizing:


(side note: for me personally, the CB1100 is a perfect size/weight and I feel immensely comfortable and confident on it. That being said, I am a careful rider and I think... not sure... the last time I laid a bike down was maybe in the 1980s?)

Part 2 is that I shared that video with a friend of mine, fellow rider in his early 70s, not in the greatest of shape. He's strictly a big, super heavy V-twin pseudo macho guy who has laid his bike over numerous times and can't pick it up. He's actually had to call AAA before to get someone to help pick his bike up.

Last summer, on a big Kaw Vulcan that he had had for ONE WEEK, he slipped out in gravel, punctured a lung, broke his collarbone and found out a few months later he broke his neck!!! He has ridden one time since then for about 5 minutes, within the past year and yet still refuses to sell this 900 lb machine and consider downsizing. He 'teases' me about being on a 'little bike' and yet I remind him.... I'm still the one riding. :-)
 
Nachodaddy_imp said:
The Gecko_imp said:
Nachodaddy_imp said:
KeepLeft_imp said:
My skills are down to nought. I clocked 20k miles before I turned 22 mostly on lightweight 2 stroke yamahas and I didnt get back on for 17 years. Done 50 miles so far and Im slowly nudging upwards. My first goal is to get rid off my awkwardness when I need to stop and stay before turning right :)
I had a similar experience a couple of years ago which severely effected my riding confidence. I bought a 2004 BMW R1150RT four miles from my house and, on the way home dropped it. I stopped at a four-way stop, and, while waiting my turn, the bike fell out from under me. I have never had that happen and it really surprised me. I don't know to this day what happened, but a nice young man helped me get it upright and I rode it home. After that, I went back to basics. Every day I rode it slowly around the neighborhood, just stopping and starting, making turns from starts and re-gaining my confidence. It is a very top-heavy bike and does not handle nearly as well as the CB1100, so I got rid of it, but not before I felt very confident on it once again. I reviewed all the YouTube videos on slow-riding skills and learned a lot that helped improve my riding, both slow and fast. I am 82 years old and suddenly realizing that I am no longer as strong as I have been accustomed to all my life. I love riding and hope I will be able to continue, but time will tell. I wish you all the best.
:biker:
How old were you when the “standing” BMW drop from under you ?
How old were you when the “standing” BMW drop from under you ? Gecko, it wasn't that long ago. I was 81 and had only recently sold a red BMW K 1300GT, which I thoroughly enjoyed riding and had no problems with it falling. One of the things I didn't like about either BMW is the huge number of screws holding on the tupperware.

GoldOxide_imp said:
The Gecko_imp said:
Nachodaddy_imp said:
KeepLeft_imp said:
My skills are down to nought. I clocked 20k miles before I turned 22 mostly on lightweight 2 stroke yamahas and I didnt get back on for 17 years. Done 50 miles so far and Im slowly nudging upwards. My first goal is to get rid off my awkwardness when I need to stop and stay before turning right :)
I had a similar experience a couple of years ago which severely effected my riding confidence. I bought a 2004 BMW R1150RT four miles from my house and, on the way home dropped it. I stopped at a four-way stop, and, while waiting my turn, the bike fell out from under me. I have never had that happen and it really surprised me. I don't know to this day what happened, but a nice young man helped me get it upright and I rode it home. After that, I went back to basics. Every day I rode it slowly around the neighborhood, just stopping and starting, making turns from starts and re-gaining my confidence. It is a very top-heavy bike and does not handle nearly as well as the CB1100, so I got rid of it, but not before I felt very confident on it once again. I reviewed all the YouTube videos on slow-riding skills and learned a lot that helped improve my riding, both slow and fast. I am 82 years old and suddenly realizing that I am no longer as strong as I have been accustomed to all my life. I love riding and hope I will be able to continue, but time will tell. I wish you all the best.
:biker:
How old were you when the “standing” BMW drop from under you ?
How old were you when the “standing” BMW drop from under you ?
... I wasn't going to ask.

Now we wait. :s
How old were you when the “standing” BMW drop from under you ?
... I wasn't going to ask.

Now we wait. :s :rofl:
GO, I blame you. I never dropped a bike until you came to Phoenix.
Now I have to shop for training wheels.
:beerchug:
:rofl:
 
Nachodaddy_imp said:
KeepLeft_imp said:
My skills are down to nought. I clocked 20k miles before I turned 22 mostly on lightweight 2 stroke yamahas and I didnt get back on for 17 years. Done 50 miles so far and Im slowly nudging upwards. My first goal is to get rid off my awkwardness when I need to stop and stay before turning right :)
I had a similar experience a couple of years ago which severely effected my riding confidence. I bought a 2004 BMW R1150RT four miles from my house and, on the way home dropped it. I stopped at a four-way stop, and, while waiting my turn, the bike fell out from under me. I have never had that happen and it really surprised me. I don't know to this day what happened, but a nice young man helped me get it upright and I rode it home. After that, I went back to basics. Every day I rode it slowly around the neighborhood, just stopping and starting, making turns from starts and re-gaining my confidence. It is a very top-heavy bike and does not handle nearly as well as the CB1100, so I got rid of it, but not before I felt very confident on it once again. I reviewed all the YouTube videos on slow-riding skills and learned a lot that helped improve my riding, both slow and fast. I am 82 years old and suddenly realizing that I am no longer as strong as I have been accustomed to all my life. I love riding and hope I will be able to continue, but time will tell. I wish you all the best.
:biker:
I had a similar experience a couple of years ago which severely effected my riding confidence. I bought a 2004 BMW R1150RT four miles from my house and, on the way home dropped it. I stopped at a four-way stop, and, while waiting my turn, the bike fell out from under me. I have never had that happen and it really surprised me. I don't know to this day what happened, but a nice young man helped me get it upright and I rode it home. After that, I went back to basics. Every day I rode it slowly around the neighborhood, just stopping and starting, making turns from starts and re-gaining my confidence. It is a very top-heavy bike and does not handle nearly as well as the CB1100, so I got rid of it, but not before I felt very confident on it once again. I reviewed all the YouTube videos on slow-riding skills and learned a lot that helped improve my riding, both slow and fast. I am 82 years old and suddenly realizing that I am no longer as strong as I have been accustomed to all my life. I love riding and hope I will be able to continue, but time will tell. I wish you all the best.
:biker:
Thank you Nachodaddy. Im doing pretty much the same thing. Getting it out on main avenues during commute hours and sliding myself in and out of traffic. Its the last week this season (im in new eng) so learning will resume in the spring.

I hope to get used to horn button placement soon. I scared myself a few times while looking for turn signal
 
KeepLeft_imp said:
Nachodaddy_imp said:
KeepLeft_imp said:
My skills are down to nought. I clocked 20k miles before I turned 22 mostly on lightweight 2 stroke yamahas and I didnt get back on for 17 years. Done 50 miles so far and Im slowly nudging upwards. My first goal is to get rid off my awkwardness when I need to stop and stay before turning right :)
I had a similar experience a couple of years ago which severely effected my riding confidence. I bought a 2004 BMW R1150RT four miles from my house and, on the way home dropped it. I stopped at a four-way stop, and, while waiting my turn, the bike fell out from under me. I have never had that happen and it really surprised me. I don't know to this day what happened, but a nice young man helped me get it upright and I rode it home. After that, I went back to basics. Every day I rode it slowly around the neighborhood, just stopping and starting, making turns from starts and re-gaining my confidence. It is a very top-heavy bike and does not handle nearly as well as the CB1100, so I got rid of it, but not before I felt very confident on it once again. I reviewed all the YouTube videos on slow-riding skills and learned a lot that helped improve my riding, both slow and fast. I am 82 years old and suddenly realizing that I am no longer as strong as I have been accustomed to all my life. I love riding and hope I will be able to continue, but time will tell. I wish you all the best.
:biker:
I had a similar experience a couple of years ago which severely effected my riding confidence. I bought a 2004 BMW R1150RT four miles from my house and, on the way home dropped it. I stopped at a four-way stop, and, while waiting my turn, the bike fell out from under me. I have never had that happen and it really surprised me. I don't know to this day what happened, but a nice young man helped me get it upright and I rode it home. After that, I went back to basics. Every day I rode it slowly around the neighborhood, just stopping and starting, making turns from starts and re-gaining my confidence. It is a very top-heavy bike and does not handle nearly as well as the CB1100, so I got rid of it, but not before I felt very confident on it once again. I reviewed all the YouTube videos on slow-riding skills and learned a lot that helped improve my riding, both slow and fast. I am 82 years old and suddenly realizing that I am no longer as strong as I have been accustomed to all my life. I love riding and hope I will be able to continue, but time will tell. I wish you all the best.
:biker:
Thank you Nachodaddy. Im doing pretty much the same thing. Getting it out on main avenues during commute hours and sliding myself in and out of traffic. Its the last week this season (im in new eng) so learning will resume in the spring.

I hope to get used to horn button placement soon. I scared myself a few times while looking for turn signal

What year do you have? The controls can be switched.

I put '13 controls on my '14- not only do they look better. but the horn is in the right place.
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
KeepLeft_imp said:
Nachodaddy_imp said:
KeepLeft_imp said:
My skills are down to nought. I clocked 20k miles before I turned 22 mostly on lightweight 2 stroke yamahas and I didnt get back on for 17 years. Done 50 miles so far and Im slowly nudging upwards. My first goal is to get rid off my awkwardness when I need to stop and stay before turning right :)
I had a similar experience a couple of years ago which severely effected my riding confidence. I bought a 2004 BMW R1150RT four miles from my house and, on the way home dropped it. I stopped at a four-way stop, and, while waiting my turn, the bike fell out from under me. I have never had that happen and it really surprised me. I don't know to this day what happened, but a nice young man helped me get it upright and I rode it home. After that, I went back to basics. Every day I rode it slowly around the neighborhood, just stopping and starting, making turns from starts and re-gaining my confidence. It is a very top-heavy bike and does not handle nearly as well as the CB1100, so I got rid of it, but not before I felt very confident on it once again. I reviewed all the YouTube videos on slow-riding skills and learned a lot that helped improve my riding, both slow and fast. I am 82 years old and suddenly realizing that I am no longer as strong as I have been accustomed to all my life. I love riding and hope I will be able to continue, but time will tell. I wish you all the best.
:biker:
I had a similar experience a couple of years ago which severely effected my riding confidence. I bought a 2004 BMW R1150RT four miles from my house and, on the way home dropped it. I stopped at a four-way stop, and, while waiting my turn, the bike fell out from under me. I have never had that happen and it really surprised me. I don't know to this day what happened, but a nice young man helped me get it upright and I rode it home. After that, I went back to basics. Every day I rode it slowly around the neighborhood, just stopping and starting, making turns from starts and re-gaining my confidence. It is a very top-heavy bike and does not handle nearly as well as the CB1100, so I got rid of it, but not before I felt very confident on it once again. I reviewed all the YouTube videos on slow-riding skills and learned a lot that helped improve my riding, both slow and fast. I am 82 years old and suddenly realizing that I am no longer as strong as I have been accustomed to all my life. I love riding and hope I will be able to continue, but time will tell. I wish you all the best.
:biker:
Thank you Nachodaddy. Im doing pretty much the same thing. Getting it out on main avenues during commute hours and sliding myself in and out of traffic. Its the last week this season (im in new eng) so learning will resume in the spring.

I hope to get used to horn button placement soon. I scared myself a few times while looking for turn signal

What year do you have? The controls can be switched.

I put '13 controls on my '14- not only do they look better. but the horn is in the right place.

What year do you have? The controls can be switched.

I put '13 controls on my '14- not only do they look better. but the horn is in the right place.
Go down to your garage, sit on your bike, and read a newspaper. Set up a timer on your mobile to ring every 2 minutes. Whenever the alarm goes off (your mind deep in an article about science LOL), you reach for the handle bar .... quickly ... and turn the turn signal on. Then off again and wait for the next timer.
Believe me, after 30 repetitions or so, your body does intuitively KNOW where the button IS.
;)
 
A few random thoughts on this subject:-

I think one of the most important aspects of our riding is being totally honest with oneself regarding our abilities. To be fair, I'm reading a lot that suggests many here are doing just that.

On a connected note, during training I was taught to continually assess my riding. Evaluate what went well and what I could have done better.

I get particularly dismayed with myself should I not see a situation (hazard) soon enough when I had the opportunity. Such occasions are fortunately not too frequent but are very powerful reminders to myself that I must do better if I am to actively manage my own on road safety sufficiently.

Having undertaken advance driver/rider training here in the UK both in car and on bike, with the Institute of Advanced Motorists and RoSPA, two safety focussed organisations, I find I have developed a riding style that is smooth and safe whilst still making progress. However, it seems to me, these courses have had an unexpected consequence. Despite what I said earlier regarding lapses of observation, I am reasonably proficient in hazard perception, decision making, planning, positioning, travelling at legal speeds etc etc. But....... because of these risk minimising factors, I never seem to need to brake hard or abruptly change course to avoid a sticky situation. I have surely become deskilled in these essential elements of machine control! Not so when I was a kid blasting around the local highways and byways. Then it was all part of the thrill of motorcycle ownership. But now, do I have the ability to safely carry out an emergency braking manoeuvre? Or deftly change course in an instant? I very much doubt it! My thanks to Gecko for his post which reminds me I still need to practice the contingencies for when it all goes bad. It is probably a good time for me to get some suitable professional instruction/training to get me sharp again.

Can never have too much rider training.
 
Corynorhinus_imp said:
A few random thoughts on this subject:-

I think one of the most important aspects of our riding is being totally honest with oneself regarding our abilities. To be fair, I'm reading a lot that suggests many here are doing just that.

On a connected note, during training I was taught to continually assess my riding. Evaluate what went well and what I could have done better.

I get particularly dismayed with myself should I not see a situation (hazard) soon enough when I had the opportunity. Such occasions are fortunately not too frequent but are very powerful reminders to myself that I must do better if I am to actively manage my own on road safety sufficiently.

Having undertaken advance driver/rider training here in the UK both in car and on bike, with the Institute of Advanced Motorists and RoSPA, two safety focussed organisations, I find I have developed a riding style that is smooth and safe whilst still making progress. However, it seems to me, these courses have had an unexpected consequence. Despite what I said earlier regarding lapses of observation, I am reasonably proficient in hazard perception, decision making, planning, positioning, travelling at legal speeds etc etc. But....... because of these risk minimising factors, I never seem to need to brake hard or abruptly change course to avoid a sticky situation. I have surely become deskilled in these essential elements of machine control! Not so when I was a kid blasting around the local highways and byways. Then it was all part of the thrill of motorcycle ownership. But now, do I have the ability to safely carry out an emergency braking manoeuvre? Or deftly change course in an instant? I very much doubt it! My thanks to Gecko for his post which reminds me I still need to practice the contingencies for when it all goes bad. It is probably a good time for me to get some suitable professional instruction/training to get me sharp again.

Can never have too much rider training.
 
Corynorhinus_imp said:
A few random thoughts on this subject:-

I think one of the most important aspects of our riding is being totally honest with oneself regarding our abilities. To be fair, I'm reading a lot that suggests many here are doing just that.

On a connected note, during training I was taught to continually assess my riding. Evaluate what went well and what I could have done better.

I get particularly dismayed with myself should I not see a situation (hazard) soon enough when I had the opportunity. Such occasions are fortunately not too frequent but are very powerful reminders to myself that I must do better if I am to actively manage my own on road safety sufficiently.

Having undertaken advance driver/rider training here in the UK both in car and on bike, with the Institute of Advanced Motorists and RoSPA, two safety focussed organisations, I find I have developed a riding style that is smooth and safe whilst still making progress. However, it seems to me, these courses have had an unexpected consequence. Despite what I said earlier regarding lapses of observation, I am reasonably proficient in hazard perception, decision making, planning, positioning, travelling at legal speeds etc etc. But....... because of these risk minimising factors, I never seem to need to brake hard or abruptly change course to avoid a sticky situation. I have surely become deskilled in these essential elements of machine control! Not so when I was a kid blasting around the local highways and byways. Then it was all part of the thrill of motorcycle ownership. But now, do I have the ability to safely carry out an emergency braking manoeuvre? Or deftly change course in an instant? I very much doubt it! My thanks to Gecko for his post which reminds me I still need to practice the contingencies for when it all goes bad. It is probably a good time for me to get some suitable professional instruction/training to get me sharp again.

Can never have too much rider training.
Interesting point Corynorhinus. I often allow the engine do much of the braking. Arguably not optimal safety, particularly at night. "Slow look press & roll" and "trail braking" seem to get a lot of coverage in the riding domain, and are important approach discussions. But yes, if the rider is competent, continuously aware, and engaged in their surrounding, emergency braking is quite seldom, perhaps rare. Will the "muscle memory" kick in effectively when needed?

Indeed, I suppose practice training can help keep that ability better honed.
 
Corynorhinus ..UK must not have deer, tractors around bends, inattentive drivers pulling out at the last minute, left turners, people jamming on brakes on the freeway etc

We get plenty of chances to practice our emergency braking here in the states
 
After having an accident on my CB in 2019 from a left turner that didn’t see me. I even now have ptsd and though I only ride on rural roads I find myself unable to truly have a relaxed ride. At 69 maybe time to hang up the motorcycle boots. I never go on a ride without stopping to do 15 minutes of practice for muscle memory. Maybe cage drivers could do a better job of looking out for bikes.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Corynorhinus_imp said:
A few random thoughts on this subject:-

I think one of the most important aspects of our riding is being totally honest with oneself regarding our abilities. To be fair, I'm reading a lot that suggests many here are doing just that.

On a connected note, during training I was taught to continually assess my riding. Evaluate what went well and what I could have done better.

I get particularly dismayed with myself should I not see a situation (hazard) soon enough when I had the opportunity. Such occasions are fortunately not too frequent but are very powerful reminders to myself that I must do better if I am to actively manage my own on road safety sufficiently.

Having undertaken advance driver/rider training here in the UK both in car and on bike, with the Institute of Advanced Motorists and RoSPA, two safety focussed organisations, I find I have developed a riding style that is smooth and safe whilst still making progress. However, it seems to me, these courses have had an unexpected consequence. Despite what I said earlier regarding lapses of observation, I am reasonably proficient in hazard perception, decision making, planning, positioning, travelling at legal speeds etc etc. But....... because of these risk minimising factors, I never seem to need to brake hard or abruptly change course to avoid a sticky situation. I have surely become deskilled in these essential elements of machine control! Not so when I was a kid blasting around the local highways and byways. Then it was all part of the thrill of motorcycle ownership. But now, do I have the ability to safely carry out an emergency braking manoeuvre? Or deftly change course in an instant? I very much doubt it! My thanks to Gecko for his post which reminds me I still need to practice the contingencies for when it all goes bad. It is probably a good time for me to get some suitable professional instruction/training to get me sharp again.

Can never have too much rider training.
My sincere apologies to Gecko
 
The Gecko_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
KeepLeft_imp said:
Nachodaddy_imp said:
KeepLeft_imp said:
My skills are down to nought. I clocked 20k miles before I turned 22 mostly on lightweight 2 stroke yamahas and I didnt get back on for 17 years. Done 50 miles so far and Im slowly nudging upwards. My first goal is to get rid off my awkwardness when I need to stop and stay before turning right :)
I had a similar experience a couple of years ago which severely effected my riding confidence. I bought a 2004 BMW R1150RT four miles from my house and, on the way home dropped it. I stopped at a four-way stop, and, while waiting my turn, the bike fell out from under me. I have never had that happen and it really surprised me. I don't know to this day what happened, but a nice young man helped me get it upright and I rode it home. After that, I went back to basics. Every day I rode it slowly around the neighborhood, just stopping and starting, making turns from starts and re-gaining my confidence. It is a very top-heavy bike and does not handle nearly as well as the CB1100, so I got rid of it, but not before I felt very confident on it once again. I reviewed all the YouTube videos on slow-riding skills and learned a lot that helped improve my riding, both slow and fast. I am 82 years old and suddenly realizing that I am no longer as strong as I have been accustomed to all my life. I love riding and hope I will be able to continue, but time will tell. I wish you all the best.
:biker:
I had a similar experience a couple of years ago which severely effected my riding confidence. I bought a 2004 BMW R1150RT four miles from my house and, on the way home dropped it. I stopped at a four-way stop, and, while waiting my turn, the bike fell out from under me. I have never had that happen and it really surprised me. I don't know to this day what happened, but a nice young man helped me get it upright and I rode it home. After that, I went back to basics. Every day I rode it slowly around the neighborhood, just stopping and starting, making turns from starts and re-gaining my confidence. It is a very top-heavy bike and does not handle nearly as well as the CB1100, so I got rid of it, but not before I felt very confident on it once again. I reviewed all the YouTube videos on slow-riding skills and learned a lot that helped improve my riding, both slow and fast. I am 82 years old and suddenly realizing that I am no longer as strong as I have been accustomed to all my life. I love riding and hope I will be able to continue, but time will tell. I wish you all the best.
:biker:
Thank you Nachodaddy. Im doing pretty much the same thing. Getting it out on main avenues during commute hours and sliding myself in and out of traffic. Its the last week this season (im in new eng) so learning will resume in the spring.

I hope to get used to horn button placement soon. I scared myself a few times while looking for turn signal

What year do you have? The controls can be switched.

I put '13 controls on my '14- not only do they look better. but the horn is in the right place.

What year do you have? The controls can be switched.

I put '13 controls on my '14- not only do they look better. but the horn is in the right place.
Go down to your garage, sit on your bike, and read a newspaper. Set up a timer on your mobile to ring every 2 minutes. Whenever the alarm goes off (your mind deep in an article about science LOL), you reach for the handle bar .... quickly ... and turn the turn signal on. Then off again and wait for the next timer.
Believe me, after 30 repetitions or so, your body does intuitively KNOW where the button IS.
;)
Except then I hop on my W800 and it's reversed and I honk when I want to turn the first 2 or 3 times, or I signal when I want the deer on the side of the road to notice me.

If I've ridden the same bike several days in a row, I do spend a few seconds reminding myself when I get back on the "other" bike.

Edit: but I still forget sometimes, and this is why I needed a BLUE--and not a RED W800--so that I would know which bike I was on!

: )
 
The ferret_imp said:
Corynorhinus ..UK must not have deer, tractors around bends, inattentive drivers pulling out at the last minute, left turners, people jamming on brakes on the freeway etc

We get plenty of chances to practice our emergency braking here in the states
Yes we have deer in the UK. We also have roadsigns to warn road users entering an area where deer are prevalent. From your list of hazards, deer are probably the highest risk because they can appear suddenly from dense vegetation/woodland, they are fast moving and are usually suicidal in their behaviour. But of course you know all this. To some extent, you can still mitigate the risk created by a suddenly appearing animal by buying time and space by constantly moderating your speed and keeping to the safest line in accordance with all the environmental factors as you go about your travels.

All the other hazards can also be mitigated against if you allow yourself to make assumptions of others. The first assumption I make is that everyone else is out to kill me. Paying attention to who is driving the tin box and what time of day it is. Around school opening and closing times, who is the driver of that vehicle in front/at the side of you/waiting to pull out of a side street etc. Have you paid attention? Is it a distracted and distraught parent (usually a mother) with arguing kids in the back? If so, get out of their killing zone. Likewise, delivery drivers looking for their next turn or stop or checking their cell phone for details of the next job etc. The business type driver also on his cell phone hoping to close a lucrative deal or grabbing the opportunity out of the office to chat sweet nothings to his secret lover. The loud exhaust/lowered suspension youth driven hooligan drivers. Unusual or frequent movement of the driver in the car ahead that tells you their mind is on something other than their driving. Did you spot the car waiting to pull out at the junction ahead has a very elderly driver? Very elderly entitles you to assume, they cannot see you, cannot hear you, cannot judge your distance and speed - and if they could, they are still likely to mistake the gas pedal for the footbrake. Vehicles with L and P plates. Do you have these in your part of the world? L Plates on a driving school car generally suggests safety as the driver is under the supervision of a professional trainer. However, L plates on a privately owned vehicle are much higher risk. Likewise P plates provide a warning that the driver is probably is inexperienced. All this and more is reading the road, reading other road users. Always assume the worst of others on the road. I am very much a pessimistic rider. That way if i'm right, I survive because I've been alert to the danger and have mitigated the risk or planned a contingency. On the other hand if my assumptions are wrong - nothing bad happened. Either way, I'm a happy chappie. It's all about taking responsibility for and actively managing your own safety.

Having said all this, yes s**t can still happen!

Apologies for the egg sucking lesson to those who already know this.
obleo_imp said:
After having an accident on my CB in 2019 from a left turner that didn’t see me. I even now have ptsd and though I only ride on rural roads I find myself unable to truly have a relaxed ride. At 69 maybe time to hang up the motorcycle boots. I never go on a ride without stopping to do 15 minutes of practice for muscle memory. Maybe cage drivers could do a better job of looking out for bikes.
That is tragic and I offer my best wishes for a full recovery.

An awful experience for anyone but please think twice before giving up the things you enjoy. Why not go for some refresher training. Rebuild your confidence and hone your riding skills in a safer setting? So many more years of happy motorcycling ahead for you.
 
Back
Top