Riding into the 70's

63 now... oh man, that sounds old. I have been riding since I got a Kawasaki Bushmaster when I was 15 and hid it in my friends barn so my folks wouldn't find it. We bombed all around the timber and old inter-urban rail lines. No helmets or anything of course. I had to de-tassel many corn fields to pay for it. Also, I was a bus boy at night. Then got a job on a bridge building crew and got into the heady area of 4.25/hour.

Got away from it until I started working in Venezuela as an ex pat, and got an old Ducati 750 Desmo and got it running. Most useful was a Vespa 150 just to be able to get around in traffic. I got to be expert at filtering and lane splitting, although it did result in some spills. A marvelous conveyance that. Just put in gas and oil and change the clutch cable every couple years.

Now I am down to a gsx-r750, the cb1100 and a Yamaha XT 250 which I use to explore the bush around here. It is a gas. I go a few times / year up to the track, JenningsGP. I am dieting hard now to be able to get into my leathers and doing 100 or so miles per week on the bicycle since Jennings opens the season in September. That is much less than I used to do but I have a day job so I fit in what I can.

I commute pretty much every day, 23 miles on a tollway either on the CB1100 or the Suzuki. I do like to go fast. On the tollway, speeds in excess of 95 are pretty common. On the days when I can't or don't ride, if feel like a surfer on a day with no waves. Sort of bummed out a bit.
 
Thread starter
jitaylor_imp said:
63 now... oh man, that sounds old. I have been riding since I got a Kawasaki Bushmaster when I was 15 and hid it in my friends barn so my folks wouldn't find it. We bombed all around the timber and old inter-urban rail lines. No helmets or anything of course. I had to de-tassel many corn fields to pay for it. Also, I was a bus boy at night. Then got a job on a bridge building crew and got into the heady area of 4.25/hour.

Got away from it until I started working in Venezuela as an ex pat, and got an old Ducati 750 Desmo and got it running. Most useful was a Vespa 150 just to be able to get around in traffic. I got to be expert at filtering and lane splitting, although it did result in some spills. A marvelous conveyance that. Just put in gas and oil and change the clutch cable every couple years.

Now I am down to a gsx-r750, the cb1100 and a Yamaha XT 250 which I use to explore the bush around here. It is a gas. I go a few times / year up to the track, JenningsGP. I am dieting hard now to be able to get into my leathers and doing 100 or so miles per week on the bicycle since Jennings opens the season in September. That is much less than I used to do but I have a day job so I fit in what I can.

I commute pretty much every day, 23 miles on a tollway either on the CB1100 or the Suzuki. I do like to go fast. On the tollway, speeds in excess of 95 are pretty common. On the days when I can't or don't ride, if feel like a surfer on a day with no waves. Sort of bummed out a bit.
Twelve years ago, when I was 62, I was at "Zephyrhills Music and Motorcycles" -- if you're in Orlando, you've probably been there -- and struck up a conversation with a 72-year old Harley driver. "Wow!", I thought, "He's still riding at 72!. I can't imagine what that must be like."

Well...
 
Come on! I'll be 76 this coming January, and, (thank Gawd) my biggest concern at the moment is if my R100GS will come out of 'surgery' at the tech's shop feeling like a nice ride. Hopefully it (she) does! The top end was rebuilt 30,000 miles ago .... now it was time for some serious carburetor and drive train work. So, Bing carbs totally rebuilt, tranny bearings replaced and everything shimmed to spec, shift mechanism wear parts replaced, clutch plate and diaphragm spring replaced, and perhaps most important, the driveshaft is being replaced. These things typically wore out within 30-40k miles ..... mine lasted to 122,000 miles. Rebuilt and made it another 35k, but one u joint ready to give it up! OK, so much for the BMW refresh!

I truly think I've been very fortunate to be able to ride, and still have the desire to ride, at my age.

A blood-borne staph infection following aortic valve replacement in 2016 left me nearly-dead, having gone septic. When I woke in the hospital next morning, I could not move my right arm or right leg. At that point, I thought, 'well, life will be different from here on out.' Thankfully, within 3-4 days, I was able to barely move both arm and leg. It got better. After a month on intravenous antibiotics and physical therapy, I went home, still too shaky to ride. First attempt was way too soon, on the tall GS. Stopping at lights and signs had to be thought out well in advance. I took the bike home, thankful that I hadn't fallen over at a stop.

Time marches on, and all is well in 2018.

The CB is running well, and suspension mods have made it a favorite bike.

I'm gonna keep on keepin on!

Bob
 
Awesome story bob. Glad you came thru that septic thing ok. Keep on riding on sir!
 
ohiorider_imp said:
Come on! I'll be 76 this coming January, and, (thank Gawd) my biggest concern at the moment is if my R100GS will come out of 'surgery' at the tech's shop feeling like a nice ride. Hopefully it (she) does! The top end was rebuilt 30,000 miles ago .... now it was time for some serious carburetor and drive train work. So, Bing carbs totally rebuilt, tranny bearings replaced and everything shimmed to spec, shift mechanism wear parts replaced, clutch plate and diaphragm spring replaced, and perhaps most important, the driveshaft is being replaced. These things typically wore out within 30-40k miles ..... mine lasted to 122,000 miles. Rebuilt and made it another 35k, but one u joint ready to give it up! OK, so much for the BMW refresh!

I truly think I've been very fortunate to be able to ride, and still have the desire to ride, at my age.

A blood-borne staph infection following aortic valve replacement in 2016 left me nearly-dead, having gone septic. When I woke in the hospital next morning, I could not move my right arm or right leg. At that point, I thought, 'well, life will be different from here on out.' Thankfully, within 3-4 days, I was able to barely move both arm and leg. It got better. After a month on intravenous antibiotics and physical therapy, I went home, still too shaky to ride. First attempt was way too soon, on the tall GS. Stopping at lights and signs had to be thought out well in advance. I took the bike home, thankful that I hadn't fallen over at a stop.

Time marches on, and all is well in 2018.

The CB is running well, and suspension mods have made it a favorite bike.

I'm gonna keep on keepin on!

Bob

I like hearing that. Especially all is well in 2018. Keep it up. :)

Will be 74 next week. Medical stuff has hit me lately but that is over. Dr. said keep on doing what you do. :) Yes he did. :)

Figured my bike traveling days might be over, but now I'm getting the itch.

Havent been out of State for about 2 years but really feeling the need to get back to Nebraska next Spring. Park in the middle and travel to all corners. I like Nebraska. After that would be Texas again. I like them Texans and their food.
 
Thread starter
So tomorrow marks 2 years since I first started this thread. Still riding at 76, though both the CB1100 and the Fury are gone, both having been traded in on my second Harley, a 2019 Sport Glide. I'm still around on this forum, just more lurking than posting. I've seen some new members come and some old members go, and I've been wondering if any of the newer members have any inspirational tales to share, or if any of the older members care to contribute or update those previously-related memories...
 
Most of us older members can not even remember what they had for breakfast , let alone some lies they told us a while ago .....
 
decarmine_imp said:
So tomorrow marks 2 years since I first started this thread. Still riding at 76, though both the CB1100 and the Fury are gone, both having been traded in on my second Harley, a 2019 Sport Glide. I'm still around on this forum, just more lurking than posting. I've seen some new members come and some old members go, and I've been wondering if any of the newer members have any inspirational tales to share, or if any of the older members care to contribute or update those previously-related memories...
I am 69yo, recently went from Harley Low Rider to CB1100.

So far, I am quite inspired by the CB. Sure is much better than those older inline-4s, with those 4 carburetors ......

I live in Brunswick Georgia. You watching those hurricanes lining up?
 
I just retired and I turn 66 on the 25th this month. I will tell you and it is true. Teaching 'kids' these past 34 years as kept me very young at heart and I believe in body as well. Just conversing with them daily kept me tuned into what kids do nowadays, and they mostly love my 'old' rock music. Most think I am about 50, bless their hearts, but something has kept many wrinkles off of me. Genetics? I like to think it is their young energy I have tapped into for over 3 decades. And now for my motorcycles. They all seem to love them, and I have actually turned several of them onto riding them. They think if I can ride, they certainly, they can too. They seem drawn mostly to the Kawasaki than either CB. Girls seem to like the EX better.
But, reading your comments here makes me feel even better. Knowing that I may be riding 10 years from now keeps from thinking I was at the end of my love of riding. Thanks guys!
 
Thread starter
michael1954_imp said:
I just retired and I turn 66 on the 25th this month. I will tell you and it is true. Teaching 'kids' these past 34 years as kept me very young at heart and I believe in body as well. Just conversing with them daily kept me tuned into what kids do nowadays, and they mostly love my 'old' rock music. Most think I am about 50, bless their hearts, but something has kept many wrinkles off of me. Genetics? I like to think it is their young energy I have tapped into for over 3 decades. And now for my motorcycles. They all seem to love them, and I have actually turned several of them onto riding them. They think if I can ride, they certainly, they can too. They seem drawn mostly to the Kawasaki than either CB. Girls seem to like the EX better.
But, reading your comments here makes me feel even better. Knowing that I may be riding 10 years from now keeps from thinking I was at the end of my love of riding. Thanks guys!
...and I read Rocky's comments whenever I think I'm getting near the end. He's going strong at 82 so I guess I, too, may have at least another half dozen years.
 
decarmine_imp said:
I've been reading lots of posts lately where it seems the person posting is at least 70 years old -- and at least one (Rocky) into his 80's

I'm 74 years old and have been riding about 50 years -- even did the Iron Butt (1100 miles in 19 hours) a couple years ago. I expect I'll be riding at least several more years -- just sold my Wide Glide and bought a Honda Fury to go along with my CB1100.

How about all you old-timers taking a little time to give a little of your history, number of years riding, memorable experiences, hopes for the future, or anything else that pops into your minds...

Let's make this inspirational for those younger riders...
I did similar. I bought my CB to compliment my Valkyrie. But I'm in my 40s.
The CB1100 is VERY 70s tech with exception of the fuel injection, the brakes and a few other small touches.
 
michael1954_imp said:
I just retired and I turn 66 on the 25th this month. I will tell you and it is true. Teaching 'kids' these past 34 years as kept me very young at heart and I believe in body as well. Just conversing with them daily kept me tuned into what kids do nowadays, and they mostly love my 'old' rock music. Most think I am about 50, bless their hearts, but something has kept many wrinkles off of me. Genetics? I like to think it is their young energy I have tapped into for over 3 decades. And now for my motorcycles. They all seem to love them, and I have actually turned several of them onto riding them. They think if I can ride, they certainly, they can too. They seem drawn mostly to the Kawasaki than either CB. Girls seem to like the EX better.
But, reading your comments here makes me feel even better. Knowing that I may be riding 10 years from now keeps from thinking I was at the end of my love of riding. Thanks guys!
This is good description of what I experienced over some decades working with and teaching young people. And still do. Nothing can walk more on your nerves but spread great joy too. This fountain of youth. Kids can show you how the interest for life can be kept. Always. It's not a matter of age.

Mostly when they know that I ride motorbikes and I tell them about it, sometimes show pictures or even the bikes, they like these retros. Some would like to ride too, but there are a lot of reasons why they will not do it. Their hindering parents, money, too lazy for making a driving license, wrong imaginations about motorbike riding that don't fit reality and so on and so on. So it will stay a dream for nearly most of the interested ones. But so what, sometimes dreams, that don't come true, are the best ones.
 
I responded to this thread about 2 years ago almost to the day. If we are blessed with good health and our skills are still sharp for riding, why stop? When I swing a leg over and fire up the bike to go for a ride. It still feels fresh and engaging. Other than I'm riding the CB and not my previous bikes.

On Youtube there's a channel called "TheMightyGarage" a sub topic is "Tales from the cul-de-sac." Look up the '74 CB750 in orange and you'll see me sharing my story on the Honda. Mike is a friend of mine and this is his channel. Though he features British Iron, he's branched out to feature other brands. Enjoy the bikes.

I know, eventually I'll age out of riding someday. Until I make that choice, I'll keep on truck'n and enjoying the roads around the PNW. Cheers!
 
I started riding 50 years ago, just starting junior college. My first real job was assembling bikes in a Honda shop, and it's been motorcycles ever since. Back in the '70s, we put crash bars ("don't call them crash bars, they're safety bars") chrome racks with backrests, and windshields and fairings on customers' bikes.

We were young and stupid then, and that stuff was dead weight. We took centerstands off, put 4-into-1s on, along with low bars, K-81s and S&W shocks. I could see then that as people matured, comfort and safety were more important than speed and style. I was not looking forward to those days.

Nowadays, among the 3 bikes I'm regularly riding (not including the scooter - a separate embarrassment) all have the stock upright bars, 1 has a bar riser, heated grips, "engine guards (safety bars)" a rack and Givi cases. The other 2 have seats with more padding, and either a rack or a tail trunk. I even sold my 2014 Std so I could buy a 2017 with more mufflers.

I guess I have another 10 years riding, hopefully more. When that time comes, hopefully I'll look forward to a 20 mph tilting wheelchair. Gonna need my helmet for that.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I'm only 68 so have a couple years to go to get into the elite 70 group.

Started street riding in 1965 and have ridden most days since.

Bought a new Sportster in 1994 and had to put a deposit, pay retail plus and wait 6 months to get it from Harley Davidson of Cincinnati (where I bought my fist bike in 1965)
Well, a couple of months ago I joined the 70+ club, and still riding every day. Still have my 14 Dlx which now has 54,000 miles on it and my 18 FJR Yamaha which I have put 33,000 miles on.

Hoping to ride a few more years yet.
 
Back
Top