Riding into the 70's

decarmine_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I've been reading lots of posts lately where it seems the person posting is at least 70 years old -- and at least one (Rocky) into his 80's

I'm 74 years old and have been riding about 50 years -- even did the Iron Butt (1100 miles in 19 hours) a couple years ago. I expect I'll be riding at least several more years -- just sold my Wide Glide and bought a Honda Fury to go along with my CB1100.

How about all you old-timers taking a little time to give a little of your history, number of years riding, memorable experiences, hopes for the future, or anything else that pops into your minds...

Let's make this inspirational for those younger riders...
 
In 1957 I rode a BSA Golden Flash to Boston and back with not a niggle from that British Iron - which was quite new then - and so was I at age 19 :P
I sold the BSA the next year and bought an old Ford car. It would be 34 years before I owned another motorcycle. Marriage, mortgage and career occupied all those years.
I came back to bikes in 1992 and probably my greatest adventure on a bike was in 2008 when a friend and I flew to Chile and joined a three-week tour that rode across the Atacama Desert, up and down the Andes Mountains, and up into Peru. I was a spritely 70 at the time.
In 2010 another friend and I flew to British Columbia and spent 12 days riding through the Canadian Rocky Mountains. Most of my other riding is/was around the northeast; newfoundland, new England, etc.
As I approach age 81 I never felt better and am blessed with good health, strength and stamina - and loving my CB1100!
 
Wow. Just 2 posts and already this thread is inspirational. Thanks so much. I started riding at age 10 on dirt bikes, and as I approach age 61, it is still a big part of my life. I have battled Type I diabetes for over 30 years, but I work very hard to control it for lots of reasons, including a desire to live a lot longer and to ride until the end. I look forward to more great posts in this thread.
 
I just turned 69 and have been riding since I was 17. I still ride my first bike a '67 Honda 305 scrambler. I have kept that bike all these years as a reminder of where and when I started riding. Raising a family of 3 kids with my wife and careers, bikes were mostly parked but never forgotten. As the kids left home there was more time to ride and add more bikes to the garage. There's a '74 CB750 and a '74 Yamaha RD350. The 2013 CB1100 I found in Scottsdale, AZ. and rode it home to Portland, Oregon. It still feels good to throw a leg over the saddle and I ride with a group of retired guys here. We ride a lot of backroads and some super slab. We encourage each other on riding techniques and always talk safety. One guy in our group will be riding the "Continental Divide" on his KTM. Our motto is "If not now, when." We'll all keep on riding till it's time to move on.
 
cooldrum_imp said:
I just turned 69 and have been riding since I was 17. I still ride my first bike a '67 Honda 305 scrambler. I have kept that bike all these years as a reminder of where and when I started riding. Raising a family of 3 kids with my wife and careers, bikes were mostly parked but never forgotten. As the kids left home there was more time to ride and add more bikes to the garage. There's a '74 CB750 and a '74 Yamaha RD350. The 2013 CB1100 I found in Scottsdale, AZ. and rode it home to Portland, Oregon. It still feels good to throw a leg over the saddle and I ride with a group of retired guys here. We ride a lot of backroads and some super slab. We encourage each other on riding techniques and always talk safety. One guy in our group will be riding the "Continental Divide" on his KTM. Our motto is "If not now, when." We'll all keep on riding till it's time to move on.
I like that cooldrum. That's what got me back on a bike at 60.
 
I'm just a kid still at 53. Been riding since I was 7, and you guys surely inspire me. To think that I have at least another good 30 years to ride makes the future look so much better!
 
Thread starter
cooldrum_imp said:
I just turned 69 and have been riding since I was 17. I still ride my first bike a '67 Honda 305 scrambler. I have kept that bike all these years as a reminder of where and when I started riding. Raising a family of 3 kids with my wife and careers, bikes were mostly parked but never forgotten. As the kids left home there was more time to ride and add more bikes to the garage. There's a '74 CB750 and a '74 Yamaha RD350. The 2013 CB1100 I found in Scottsdale, AZ. and rode it home to Portland, Oregon. It still feels good to throw a leg over the saddle and I ride with a group of retired guys here. We ride a lot of backroads and some super slab. We encourage each other on riding techniques and always talk safety. One guy in our group will be riding the "Continental Divide" on his KTM. Our motto is "If not now, when." We'll all keep on riding till it's time to move on.
It was those exact words, "If not now, when?" that got me to buy my first Harley. I had been riding mainly Hondas, with an occasional Kawasaki, even a BSA, in the mix but never was willing (or able) to afford a Harley,

In those days all Harleys were priced at MSRP plus "opportunistic markup" of several thousands of dollars. "What does 'opportunistic markup' mean?", I asked. "Just that we had the opportunity to mark it up, so we did. Take it or leave it", I was told.

Well, I always left it, but thought I had to have a Harley at least once in my life. When I turned 60, about 14 years ago, I realized, "if not now, when?"

By 2004 those "opportunistic markups" had disappeared, so I bought the Harley, thinking I would put up with its foibles just to satisfy that long-standing desire. Turns out I *loved* it...

After I bought the CB1100 in 2016, however, I noticed that, when deciding which bike to ride today, the CB was chosen about 80% of the time.

That led to the decision to sell the Harley and buy the Honda Fury. Now the mix of "which bike to ride" is about 50-50...
 
We had another member—bokobob—who had turned 80 when last we saw him in 2016. I can't recall exactly why he sold his CB1100, but I don't think he was planning on giving up riding.

"If not now, when" is a great motto.
 
Great idea for a license plate “INNW”. My kids think I’m old at 56 but I have lots of kid left in me. I’ve been riding since I had an early 70s z50. I wish I still had that bike and I will probably buy the new monkey when it comes out. I’ve had many bikes through the years and loved each for different reasons. I’m also blessed with a wonderful and understanding with...I thought the garage in central Ohio might be too cold for the Ducati 916 so she let me put it in the dining room. We had guests for thanksgiving with the Ducati in the bay window. Interesting conversation piece...don’t touch
 
Thread starter
Foxcroft007_imp said:
Great idea for a license plate “INNW”. My kids think I’m old at 56 but I have lots of kid left in me. I’ve been riding since I had an early 70s z50. I wish I still had that bike and I will probably buy the new monkey when it comes out. I’ve had many bikes through the years and loved each for different reasons. I’m also blessed with a wonderful and understanding with...I thought the garage in central Ohio might be too cold for the Ducati 916 so she let me put it in the dining room. We had guests for thanksgiving with the Ducati in the bay window. Interesting conversation piece...don’t touch
I guess you meant "understanding *wife*". When hurricane Irma threatened Florida last year I moved the CB and the Harley into the living room for about a week. Priorities..."
 
71.5 here. I am not the oldest in our group. Bought my first bike in 1971-a 1966 CL77 and I still have it. Also ride a 1972 CB750 and a 1994 Shadow VT1100. Just got my 1970 CL350 running this spring.

BUT! I just installed a Corban seat and curvier handlebars to make my 2013 CB1100 ride more like the Shadow. Both upgrades have really improved the ride. We seniors need more sitting cushion.
 
I was just past 71.5 when a likely overnight mini stroke affected muscle control in one eye. I rode over a 1,000 mikes since, but sold #17.
Started riding on the street in 1963, before M/C endorsements existed, nor helmet laws.
decarmine_imp said:
cooldrum_imp said:
I just turned 69 and have been riding since I was 17. I still ride my first bike a '67 Honda 305 scrambler. I have kept that bike all these years as a reminder of where and when I started riding. Raising a family of 3 kids with my wife and careers, bikes were mostly parked but never forgotten. As the kids left home there was more time to ride and add more bikes to the garage. There's a '74 CB750 and a '74 Yamaha RD350. The 2013 CB1100 I found in Scottsdale, AZ. and rode it home to Portland, Oregon. It still feels good to throw a leg over the saddle and I ride with a group of retired guys here. We ride a lot of backroads and some super slab. We encourage each other on riding techniques and always talk safety. One guy in our group will be riding the "Continental Divide" on his KTM. Our motto is "If not now, when." We'll all keep on riding till it's time to move on.
It was those exact words, "If not now, when?" that got me to buy my first Harley. I had been riding mainly Hondas, with an occasional Kawasaki, even a BSA, in the mix but never was willing (or able) to afford a Harley,

In those days all Harleys were priced at MSRP plus "opportunistic markup" of several thousands of dollars. "What does 'opportunistic markup' mean?", I asked. "Just that we had the opportunity to mark it up, so we did. Take it or leave it", I was told.

Well, I always left it, but thought I had to have a Harley at least once in my life. When I turned 60, about 14 years ago, I realized, "if not now, when?"

By 2004 those "opportunistic markups" had disappeared, so I bought the Harley, thinking I would put up with its foibles just to satisfy that long-standing desire. Turns out I *loved* it...

After I bought the CB1100 in 2016, however, I noticed that, when deciding which bike to ride today, the CB was chosen about 80% of the time.

That led to the decision to sell the Harley and buy the Honda Fury. Now the mix of "which bike to ride" is about 50-50...
Bought a new 2003 Sportster, Dec 2002, for $500 off MSRP from Ventura H-D.
 
I'm only 68 so have a couple years to go to get into the elite 70 group.

Started street riding in 1965 and have ridden most days since.

Bought a new Sportster in 1994 and had to put a deposit, pay retail plus and wait 6 months to get it from Harley Davidson of Cincinnati (where I bought my fist bike in 1965)
 
Cormanus_imp said:
We had another member—bokobob—who had turned 80 when last we saw him in 2016. I can't recall exactly why he sold his CB1100, but I don't think he was planning on giving up riding.

"If not now, when" is a great motto.
Awesome motto and awesome thread. Thank you!
I'm just reeding and enjoy the inspiration I get from you :rolleyes:

Lets make us the "If not now, when?" to our motto.
Someone once told me I should finally grow up. I tried, I didn't like it.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
I'm only 68 so have a couple years to go to get into the elite 70 group.

Started street riding in 1965 and have ridden most days since.

Bought a new Sportster in 1994 and had to put a deposit, pay retail plus and wait 6 months to get it from Harley Davidson of Cincinnati (where I bought my fist bike in 1965)
When I bought my Harley in 2004 I only had to pay retail and wait six *weeks*. I had ordered 2-tone red and silver but when I went back to the dealer after four weeks he had a solid red that had just come in. Not wanting to wait another two weeks, I decided to take the solid red instead -- plus it was $300 cheaper.

Well, about a month later I was regretting taking the single-color bike so I went on ebay and found a Harley "paint set" (tank, front fender, rear fender) for $400. I bought that and switched everything over and *finally* got my 2-tone Harley.

The Harley is gone now but I still have the original set of tank and fenders. The tank is sitting on a project VW trike, and the front fender will one day also...
 
Biggest complaint the Guzzi riders have at rally's; no young riders! Oldest is 83. I think the average is around 70, maybe late 60's.

Read an article recently about how the brain ages vs the body (Feeling young could mean your brain is aging more slowly ). So I don't think motorcycles are any better at keeping us young, but it seems that people with with young minds seem to dominate the older rider segment simply because they can.

You make your fun to best of your abilities; sadly for some of us that ability goes to pot way too soon. For a lucky few it just goes on and on. Mostly it's genes, but life's experiences and attitude have a lot to do with it too.

I'm only 64; I'm finding one way to feel younger is hang with old farts from time to time; then I'm not the oldest. :rofl:
 
Yeah, I’ve noticed and even begun reluctantly admitting that age does change a few things and not always for the good. Senior citizen discounts and Social Security checks are fun but body and reaction time changes humbling. Quit nighttime pleasure rides a while ago.
I’ve consciously moved to lighter weight bikes and even gotten into sidecars for the express purpose of riding until I just can’t. Gonna hope shouldn’t doesn’t happen for a while longer.
Really lust after the large displacement highway mile eating monster bikes but admit I shouldn’t. At this stage of my life I can afford to ride anything I want but realize and admit a full dress cross country monster or a Hyabusa with saddlebags and a top box are logically beyond my diminishing skill set. Lots of good deals to be had on barely used large displacement 8 year old tour ready bikes, everybody needs an extra bike in the garage -right?
Then again I can fly and rent for a week or two. Why not?
 
Back
Top