Ride the Balkan Peninsula

Django

Road warrior
Thread starter
Some of you may remember, I already mentioned that I was up to plan a week's ride to the Balkan with my daughter and her CB 1300.

Well, we want to take off this Saturday. Here's the rough plan so far:

Django Tours goes Balkan
 
That looks like an awesome trip.

I've never ridden a motorcycle there but I spent 9 months in Bosnia in '01 and was all over the place and there are certainly some good mountain roads to ride. The Dalmatian Coast is also quite nice.

I look forward to the pictures. Have fun!
 
....good luck and have a safe trip..
When I wanted to go to Europe with my CB...nobody responded ::((
Hopefully soon :D

pb
 
Awesome idea, Django.
I don't know if you have driven/ridden in those countries in the near past, but I'm sure you have collected the necessary information before the trip. However, here's my 2p:
- Best roads are in Croatia, road quality deteriorates as you go southward
- Cheapest fuel is in Macedonia
- In some of those countries gas stations do not have air compressors and tire repair shops are closed on Sundays.
- Especially in Bosnia, Albania and Macedonia there's a lot of road building activity going on(mainly highways) and some of these are not in the navigation maps.
- You'll notice that the speed limits get (sometimes ridiculously) lower as you drive south. Traffic police can be very unforgiving in those areas. I've seen queues of cars drive at 30 km/h in a 40 area, just in case :D
- Although most gas stations accept euros be prepared to receive the change in the local currency.

Have a great trip!
 
Thread starter
@tuareg: Last and only one was 1988, when I went home from Thessaloniki taking the Autoput with a VW bus. :)

Hints like yours are always appreciated.
...and I'm well informed, as like every German lad I read "In den Schluchten des Balkan" from Karl May. :cool:
 
Django_imp said:
@tuareg: Last and only one was 1988, when I went home from Thessaloniki taking the Autoput with a VW bus. :)

Hints like yours are always appreciated.
...and I'm well informed, as like every German lad I read "In den Schluchten des Balkan" from Karl May. :cool:
;) Karl May reference made me smile; but I think you'll find the Balkan spirit to be the same even after 125 years :D so don't be surprised when you come across another "Republika Srpska" when riding through Bosnian mountains...
Feel free to PM if you need to ask anything about the places. We've been driving from Germany to Greece and back for the last 3 years, changing the route each time, so we've been through a lot. Riding a motorcycle has its advantages especially at the border crossings(or when you're lost and have to make that illegal turn :P ) so I'm a bit jealous now...

Happy travels!
 
Thread starter
Well, writing the ride report of my Balkan trip comes slowly as I was very, very busy last time (and still I am). So not much posting and writing recently.

However, 5 days are already written, 3 days are still in work (Montenegro, Kosovo, SaddleSore home).

For your pleasure: Django Tours
 
Fantastic photo journal, Django. Thank you. What amazing country to go riding in.
 
It worked. The wanderlust is strong this morning. What stunning scenery.

Have you been allowed a ride on the CB1300? If so, how did you find it?
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
It worked. The wanderlust is strong this morning. What stunning scenery.

Have you been allowed a ride on the CB1300? If so, how did you find it?
Yes, it's a torque monster. It has only 5 gears, but more or less it doesn't matter, in what gear you are. My daughter has a lower handle bar, so seat position for me is a little lean forward. The CB1300 feels a little clumsy compared to mine, probably because of the weight. Brakes and suspension is the same (good) standard.

When we were looking for a CB1300 for here and she finally found this one, I was really tempted to go for one for myself too. However, now I still prefer my CBF1000F. It's the better ride for me.

Don't miss balkan-leg-7-thru-the-kosovo-to-skopje
 
Excellent second from final report. I do like to see a bike after a good ride in the rain.
 
Very cool Django. Beautiful pictures and scenery. That was some zip line.

I need some boots like your daughters for riding the FJR lol. It's a tall booger.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Very cool Django. Beautiful pictures and scenery. That was some zip line.

I need some boots like your daughters for riding the FJR lol. It's a tall booger.
I'm afraid, if WE guys would wear such boots, we would go down already without the help of a motorcycle. :rolleyes:
 
Back
Top