Ride opinion for potential CB1100 owners

Cormanus_imp said:
Hello Beto Rocco and welcome to the forum. That's two nice bikes you have.
Good morning,
Thanks for the welcome to the group.
I was a little shocked by Paul's thoughts on the CB1100, but everything in our life is about our expectations, so I agree with him on some features of the bike.
Brazilian greetings to the Australian people.

GoldOxide_imp said:
Hey Beto Rocco - welcome to the Forum. Nice avatar.
Good morning,
Thank you for the welcome to the group and the praise for Avatar.
About Paul's comment, I think he must have already regretted selling the bike (I'm kidding).:D
Brazilian greetings to all Canada, Wonderful Country.
 
Beto Rocco_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Hello Beto Rocco and welcome to the forum. That's two nice bikes you have.
Good morning,
Thanks for the welcome to the group.
I was a little shocked by Paul's thoughts on the CB1100, but everything in our life is about our expectations, so I agree with him on some features of the bike.
Brazilian greetings to the Australian people.

GoldOxide_imp said:
Hey Beto Rocco - welcome to the Forum. Nice avatar.
Good morning,
Thank you for the welcome to the group and the praise for Avatar.
About Paul's comment, I think he must have already regretted selling the bike (I'm kidding).:D
Brazilian greetings to all Canada, Wonderful Country.
Good morning,
Thank you for the welcome to the group and the praise for Avatar.
About Paul's comment, I think he must have already regretted selling the bike (I'm kidding).:D
Brazilian greetings to all Canada, Wonderful Country.
:thumbsup: Beto.

I really like the CB1100 and miss it - but its vibe still resonates in my bones. Probably the best inline-4 I've ridden. If it was maybe three inches taller, I'd likely would still own it.

 
Nachodaddy_imp said:
Hello and welcome Beto Rocco, nice to have you aboard.
Thanks for the welcome Nachodaddy.
I visited many places in Arizona, but it was by rental car.
I wonder how cool it must be to ride a CB1100 around.
My bike is in Florida, and I really miss the curves and mountains in the Orlando area because it's boring to just ride straight up to 60 MPH.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Thanks for posting your thoughts, Paul. Even though they've probably achieved your goal of irritating CB1100 aficionados, they are, nonetheless, welcome. This is a forum that values diversity of opinion and, if you have read extensively here, you will know, 'we like people who like bikes'.

Having put 137,000 + kilometres (85,000 + miles) on a 2011 CB1100, I clearly like the bike a lot. I agree with you that the seat is hideously uncomfortable after an hour. I'd add that, after the on set of the first agony of the seat, the benefits of a stretch are lucky to last 15 minutes before the seat becomes hideously uncomfortable again. Luckily, an inexpensive Air Hawk cushion largely solved that problem for me and I have regularly ridden days of 700 kms.

I agree, too, that at low speed it's top heavy and awkward, but once moving it's a delight.

Unlike most members here, I haven't owned or ridden large numbers of the motorcycles ever produced during my lifetime*, so I'm not in a position to offer a comparative review. However, given the truth that one size never, ever fits all, the CB1100 will do me just fine. Your experience was clearly not the same.

Just for fun, why not head down to the Other Bikes section of the forum and tell us about some of the bikes you've owned or still own that you really like and why?

*The reasons some riders own a procession of different motorcycles may well be an interesting topic to be explored during the winter months. Or not. Just saying'.

A note to all members

Sparky80_imp said:
Please do not pursue this conversation if your intent is to deride Harley Davidson motorcycles and their riders. This tedious topic has been done to death on this forum and generally results in the sort of posts that the Ferret and I feel obliged to modify or delete.

Feel free to comment on individual models.

Interesting Corm, I do feel awful on many chairs, wooden - plastic - you name it. But on the CB (EX) never, ever had a problem. Sure, I need to stretch my legs after a while ... but in buttocksville, no problems what soever. With such disparate options (all justified), it is clear that no manufacturer can ever make us all happy. Seems like the problem of the "perfect mattress" to me ;)
GoldOxide_imp said:
Totally agree with you GO. And ... my guess, the AfricT has a much higher CoG, that's what makes "walking her" difficult.
 
Meant with "such disparate opinions ... ", not options, but once more the spellchecker must have kicked in, and I didn't notice it. ;)
 
j3gq_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Thanks for posting your thoughts, Paul. Even though they've probably achieved your goal of irritating CB1100 aficionados, they are, nonetheless, welcome. This is a forum that values diversity of opinion and, if you have read extensively here, you will know, 'we like people who like bikes'.

Having put 137,000 + kilometres (85,000 + miles) on a 2011 CB1100, I clearly like the bike a lot. I agree with you that the seat is hideously uncomfortable after an hour. I'd add that, after the on set of the first agony of the seat, the benefits of a stretch are lucky to last 15 minutes before the seat becomes hideously uncomfortable again. Luckily, an inexpensive Air Hawk cushion largely solved that problem for me and I have regularly ridden days of 700 kms.

I agree, too, that at low speed it's top heavy and awkward, but once moving it's a delight.

Unlike most members here, I haven't owned or ridden large numbers of the motorcycles ever produced during my lifetime*, so I'm not in a position to offer a comparative review. However, given the truth that one size never, ever fits all, the CB1100 will do me just fine. Your experience was clearly not the same.

Just for fun, why not head down to the Other Bikes section of the forum and tell us about some of the bikes you've owned or still own that you really like and why?

*The reasons some riders own a procession of different motorcycles may well be an interesting topic to be explored during the winter months. Or not. Just saying'.

A note to all members

Sparky80_imp said:
Please do not pursue this conversation if your intent is to deride Harley Davidson motorcycles and their riders. This tedious topic has been done to death on this forum and generally results in the sort of posts that the Ferret and I feel obliged to modify or delete.

Feel free to comment on individual models.

Interesting Corm, I do feel awful on many chairs, wooden - plastic - you name it. But on the CB (EX) never, ever had a problem. Sure, I need to stretch my legs after a while ... but in buttocksville, no problems what soever. With such disparate options (all justified), it is clear that no manufacturer can ever make us all happy. Seems like the problem of the "perfect mattress" to me ;)
GoldOxide_imp said:
Totally agree with you GO. And ... my guess, the AfricT has a much higher CoG, that's what makes "walking her" difficult.

I think that’s right, j3gq: it’s probably impossible for any motorcycle manufacturer to make a seat that works for everyone.
 
As a new owner (3 weeks !!) My initial impressions ( past bikes have been old brits and a series of big Suzukis including a Katana and various GS/X's and a VF1000).
Seat is not too bad even my BMW Dakar starts to lose it's appeal after a couple of hours. Main issue is the hump is a couple of inches too far forward. Certainly going to change at some point but not urgent.
I find the forks fine but ye gods, the back is rock hard and shoves my lower spine through my collarbone on the goat track roads around here. Again, quick trip to my local suspension man should sort that.
I have dodgy knees and have no issues there, certainly way better than the VF.
Did 400km last weekend with wife on back and had an absolute blast. Engine is a peach, way better in traffic than the Dakar and really is like a big old slobbery dog.
Apart from the shocks immediate issues are - sort some luggage for it, oil cooler guard and (if anyone knows if they are available ?) a set of fork gaitors to protect the stanchions. Also, maybe some engine guards.
Certainly up to now it's everything I could have wished for.
 
hondadownunder_imp said:
As a new owner (3 weeks !!) My initial impressions ( past bikes have been old brits and a series of big Suzukis including a Katana and various GS/X's and a VF1000).
Seat is not too bad even my BMW Dakar starts to lose it's appeal after a couple of hours. Main issue is the hump is a couple of inches too far forward. Certainly going to change at some point but not urgent.
I find the forks fine but ye gods, the back is rock hard and shoves my lower spine through my collarbone on the goat track roads around here. Again, quick trip to my local suspension man should sort that.
I have dodgy knees and have no issues there, certainly way better than the VF.
Did 400km last weekend with wife on back and had an absolute blast. Engine is a peach, way better in traffic than the Dakar and really is like a big old slobbery dog.
Apart from the shocks immediate issues are - sort some luggage for it, oil cooler guard and (if anyone knows if they are available ?) a set of fork gaitors to protect the stanchions. Also, maybe some engine guards.
Certainly up to now it's everything I could have wished for.
Oil cooler guards are easy to find on E-bay (cheap) and from other more reputable sellers (expensive) like Samurider and Webike.

I have SW-MOTECH Crash Bars on my bike. Not too pricey and they seem to be sturdy. Of course I have no clue about their effectiveness until I drop the bike or crash - and that event will hopefully never happen.

Fork gaiters: lots of options too - ranging from generic Ebay versions, made from chewing gum, up to fancy Triumph or BMW branded gaiters that are most likely better but also much more expensive. After looking everywhere and after some discussions on this forum (do a search), I decided to go for the Kawasaki option (OEM Part 49006-1335). They fit and look great, and supposedly last forever.
 
bioman_imp said:
hondadownunder_imp said:
As a new owner (3 weeks !!) My initial impressions ( past bikes have been old brits and a series of big Suzukis including a Katana and various GS/X's and a VF1000).
Seat is not too bad even my BMW Dakar starts to lose it's appeal after a couple of hours. Main issue is the hump is a couple of inches too far forward. Certainly going to change at some point but not urgent.
I find the forks fine but ye gods, the back is rock hard and shoves my lower spine through my collarbone on the goat track roads around here. Again, quick trip to my local suspension man should sort that.
I have dodgy knees and have no issues there, certainly way better than the VF.
Did 400km last weekend with wife on back and had an absolute blast. Engine is a peach, way better in traffic than the Dakar and really is like a big old slobbery dog.
Apart from the shocks immediate issues are - sort some luggage for it, oil cooler guard and (if anyone knows if they are available ?) a set of fork gaitors to protect the stanchions. Also, maybe some engine guards.
Certainly up to now it's everything I could have wished for.
Oil cooler guards are easy to find on E-bay (cheap) and from other more reputable sellers (expensive) like Samurider and Webike.

I have SW-MOTECH Crash Bars on my bike. Not too pricey and they seem to be sturdy. Of course I have no clue about their effectiveness until I drop the bike or crash - and that event will hopefully never happen.

Fork gaiters: lots of options too - ranging from generic Ebay versions, made from chewing gum, up to fancy Triumph or BMW branded gaiters that are most likely better but also much more expensive. After looking everywhere and after some discussions on this forum (do a search), I decided to go for the Kawasaki option (OEM Part 49006-1335). They fit and look great, and supposedly last forever.
(+1) on the Kawasaki gaiters. Worth every cent. Bake in the sunshine everyday.
No maintenance.
 
hondadownunder_imp said:
Cool, I'll look at the Kawasaki gaitors.
As with many gaiters, try and avoid "polishing" with surface treatments to make them look shiny 'n' black. Many treatments change the surface chemistry of the rubber or whatever plastic composition. When regularly exposed to UV light (e.g. from the sun), it could destroy the gaiter over time.

The better gaiters tend to be made of rubber.
 
The UV in New Zealand s a killer for rubber. being black doesn't help either. Just need to stop stanchions getting damaged. Especially at moment, it's the - lets resurface with the cheapest crappiest method we can find season at the moment. Came home from work today and they'd done road earlier on (was fine yesterday !) Fortunately on the Beemer but tyres covered in tar and chippings and crap rattling around underneath. AAAARGHHH !!!!
 
Fork gaiters look great and add a little touch I think. You just need to drop the forks out to fit them, as a temporary measure a few owners have used fork protectors which can be fitted in minutes. Not as full coverage as the gaiters but they do something.

 
hondadownunder_imp said:
The UV in New Zealand s a killer for rubber. being black doesn't help either. Just need to stop stanchions getting damaged. Especially at moment, it's the - lets resurface with the cheapest crappiest method we can find season at the moment. Came home from work today and they'd done road earlier on (was fine yesterday !) Fortunately on the Beemer but tyres covered in tar and chippings and crap rattling around underneath. AAAARGHHH !!!!
Understood. But the non-real rubber offerings longevity are dismal. Real rubber-based offerings seem to last quite a long time (I have read some arguing "forever"), but they do cost more.
 
Back
Top