Ride opinion for potential CB1100 owners

LongRanger_imp said:
I don’t agree with the OP’s opinion, but that’s fine. One man’s ceiling is another man’s floor. In my experience, some of the most popular bikes you see on the road are poorly engineered, loathsome, and simply suck, but their owners would likely disagree. That’s fine too.

Anyone buying the CB for its performance or touring capabilities would likely be disappointed if comparing it to a more focused sport or touring bike, though personally I thought my DLX was brilliant.
I would like to solve the puzzle.

What is a Harley Davidson? :banana: :celebrate:
 
Thanks for posting your thoughts, Paul. Even though they've probably achieved your goal of irritating CB1100 aficionados, they are, nonetheless, welcome. This is a forum that values diversity of opinion and, if you have read extensively here, you will know, 'we like people who like bikes'.

Having put 137,000 + kilometres (85,000 + miles) on a 2011 CB1100, I clearly like the bike a lot. I agree with you that the seat is hideously uncomfortable after an hour. I'd add that, after the on set of the first agony of the seat, the benefits of a stretch are lucky to last 15 minutes before the seat becomes hideously uncomfortable again. Luckily, an inexpensive Air Hawk cushion largely solved that problem for me and I have regularly ridden days of 700 kms.

I agree, too, that at low speed it's top heavy and awkward, but once moving it's a delight.

Unlike most members here, I haven't owned or ridden large numbers of the motorcycles ever produced during my lifetime*, so I'm not in a position to offer a comparative review. However, given the truth that one size never, ever fits all, the CB1100 will do me just fine. Your experience was clearly not the same.

Just for fun, why not head down to the Other Bikes section of the forum and tell us about some of the bikes you've owned or still own that you really like and why?

*The reasons some riders own a procession of different motorcycles may well be an interesting topic to be explored during the winter months. Or not. Just saying'.

A note to all members

Sparky80_imp said:
Please do not pursue this conversation if your intent is to deride Harley Davidson motorcycles and their riders. This tedious topic has been done to death on this forum and generally results in the sort of posts that the Ferret and I feel obliged to modify or delete.

Feel free to comment on individual models.
 
Im 72 yrs old, 5ft 10 living in New Zealand where we ride all year round, have had my 2018 CB1100ex for 8 months now and done some 5000kms (3100 miles) on our tight windy hilly bumpy roads riding with other experienced Ulysses club members who are capable of getting along at a fair clip and my comments would be as below. My experience / previous bikes in order newest to oldest to me in last few years so you get an idea of what I have been riding in the last 5 yrs - Triumph T120, Suzuki SV650, Triumph T100 (water cooled), Suzuki Vee Strom 650, Triumph Bonneville SE, Honda NC750, Suzuki S83, BMW R1200C, BMW R850R, BMW R1150R (guilty of buying and selling while seeking the ultimate ride for me!)
Suspension is soft but actually quite good for our road conditions and my age and back!
Handling is that off a cruiser and providing you understand what you are on, its fine and acceptable and certainly way better than any 'real' cruiser i have ridden like a Harley or big Suzuki Vee twin and then it has brakes!
Top end weight, one thing I felt when i first rode the CB was how low the weight felt once moving! Bit heavy to push into garage sure but can always ride it in!
Finish is second to none and bike suits those who take pride in what they ride and actually enjoy the cleaning and polishing that goes with it.
Engine is the jewel in the crown with this bike, wind on sewing machine smooth power from 2000rpm, what else gives you that smile for the money and with what I would term very good fuel economy also.
Touring, well the longest I have done is 400kms in a day (250 miles) but im about to tour the Sth Island of NZ with 2 other riders and will be looking at 450-550 kms a day for 10 days (so 4500 kms in total or 2800 miles over 10 days), dont see why its not upto such a task, more the question is am I up to it!
Here in NZ these bikes are starting to be understood and appreciated, recently a 2019 CB1100ex with just 900kms on it, sold within hrs of going to market for NZ$22,000 (US$12900).
I say if you arnt happy with your CB1100 sell it and give someone who will appreciate it the opportunity!
 
My 2014 std was perfect for me to get back into riding again after a 25-year absence.

Enough power to pass whenever you wanted to but not too much to pull wheelies when you didn't want it to.

Brakes were excellent for me. I practiced many panic stops...one time I swore I was doing a "stoppie” even without ABS. LOL

Weight was good....never dropped it during a stop....even on awkward stops on slopes or with the wheel turned (can't be said for a "real" top heavy bike like the K1600).

The CB was definitely “flickable” in curves….don’t know if it was the short wheelbase or 18 inch tires….but very forgiving in curves.

Started and ran like all Honda's do....immediately and flawlessly.

It was perfect for what Ferret said....40-55 mph on curvy roads.

The wind and weather protection were my only negatives but that comes with all "naked" bikes....so can't blame the CB for that. Probably should have installed a larger windscreen like some have.
 
A few members have written about the "heavy weight" of the CB1100.

I personally thought the weight was normal and within expected range of a classic-based full size CB. I changed over to an Africa Twin, which is similar in weight to the CB, if not maybe a bit lighter. However, when it came to push and shove, the CB1100 is easier.

So, everything is relative. Once I thought the CB1100 was heavy when not moving. Truth is, it feels not so bad in retrospect.
 
The CB (well, any bike) will strike different folks differently. What I find annoying other folks just don't see it.

I'll just submit that the valve train adjustment if fine. Originally Honda spec'd 8000 miles to check, changed that to 12,000 miles for the '14 and newer models after gaining some experience while not changing anything in the engine. Many folks that have checked find little to no need for adjusting. So I'll call this one a mountain out of mole hill. But I do agree that hydraulic adjusted valves like the Nighthawk would have been the bees knees.

The bike was targeted at certain narrow niche of older guys and judging from the guys here (and it seems to be mostly guys) that have kept their bikes, Honda nailed it. For the bikes bought and then moved on; well, I'll submit they were outside the target demographic (for the most part). It appears that some guys loved it and still sold it - mainly because they simply go through bikes because, you know, so many bikes, so little time.

You were not the first to not get on with the CB and some of your complaints were also voiced by many of the other sellers. I do hope you can find a bike you can gel with like many of us have gelled with the CB.
 
The 2017 models address some of your issues, I find the suspension pretty good and the seat acceptable. Seat height is low to me, I wouldn't like it any less, this bike isn't optimised for long legged riders in terms of seat to peg distance as it is. 18" wheels are not that hard to find decent tyres for. The bike is heavy but I don't find it top heavy particularly. The engine is an experience and most owners seem to get away with valve clearance checks with no adjustment required. There are still a lot of modern bikes around with short valve clearance check intervals. I will agree that they might of chosen a different method for the valve clearance though, even if it was an easier to service "shim over bucket".

The bike is fairly single purpose though, I know some hardy souls do, but I would hate to tour on this bike or haul luggage for any length of time. But I don't believe Honda built it for this purpose, it is ostensibly a leisure bike, a day bike or perhaps a weekend camper. But I think that is fairly obvious, in that regard it is not much different from any other mid/large engine naked bike. There are many more comfortable bikes out there, long travel suspension adventure bikes have a massive comfort advantage over the likes of the CB, something my bones greatly appreciate and the reason I use one of those for longer journeys.

I do think there are many others that do share your observations about this bike, in part or in full and you can see a churn of low milers coming up for sale. But conversely the bike is exactly what many owners were looking for and it suits them down to the ground.
 
I have 14 and love it. I came off an FZ10 but I knew it couldn’t match that performance wise. I also ride an ST1300 and it feels like a push bike weight wise compared to that beast!. I use mine mostly for my 36 round mile commute and it does that well and cheaply. I have also taken it on a few runs through the backroads of PA and it shines there. The mods I have are a cheap screen and Hippo Hands for the winter commute and the will come off in the spring. I could tour on it happily with bags, a better seat, and a proper screen. Looks wise it is 100%, but I have the nice black version!!.
 
I agree that the bike might feel like it carries its weight higher than some. While this might be off-putting for some at stoplights, and I'm no expert regarding the physics of handling, I think that the higher CG adds to the handling characteristics of the bike.

I've never understood the comfort thing re the CB seat, but maybe that's just me. The stock seat on my 2017 was great. I currently have the K10 vintage knockoff, which is essentially a plank of wood, and love that also. People swear by their Corbin seats, but those things are off-putting to me....sort of like those padded toilet seats. Something just seems wrong about them.

Regarding mileage at resale, isn't that all bikes (and boats and.....)?
 
Hey PaulB ... Love to hear contrasting opinions on just about everything, not just motorcycles. They get me fired up sometimes and that is one of my bigger flaws. In the end, though, I value other perspectives. Of course, as you may expect, the last two sentences were a disclaimer, of sorts, for the next few:

1. Don't mistake correlation with causation - You have no way of knowing why people are selling their CB1100s with <10,000 miles on them.
2. Don't present opinion as fact - The bike is not "uncomfortable". Rather, you find it uncomfortable. I have logged 50,727 miles on my current CB1100 and had 30,273 miles on my first 2013. (In checking those numbers, I realized that I have a "milestone" in that I just turned exactly 80,000 combined miles on a 2013 CB1100...not sure if that's "Milestone Thread" worthy or not). 80,000 miles - including one Ironbutt SS1000, six 500+ mile days, twelve riding trips of 5+ days averaging about 1500 miles per trip (not counting the rides to and from the destinations). Yes, I'm bragging, but to the point, I don't find the CB1100 uncomfortable. My wife does, so she rides her own bike.

The rest of what you said about the power, the suspension, the weight, and the valve clearance interval seem on point. My opinion on the "acceptability" of some of these flaws is what we differ on. It's not "unacceptable" to me that the valve clearance check is frequent; annoying to me, but not unacceptable. The suspension, while softer than I like, does what it needs to to for me. The engine is powerful enough to get me out of bad situations and anemic enough to keep me from being tempted to ride with the sport-bike packs I hear nearby through my open window on warm Chicago nights. It's not been a terrible bike for me to live with.

I haven't owned a lot of other bikes and that might make it seem like my opinion should carry less weight than others. I have had ample opportunity to make a change and did so in 2017 - I traded my 2013 CB1100 in for a zero-mile 2013 CB1100 with ABS. 80,000 miles of riding this bike should also factor in when weighing my opinions on this bike.

Thank you for posting you opinions and I hope that your 2013 CB1100 went to someone who finds it more suitable to his/her taste
 
80,000 combined miles is definitely a milestone, MTC.
 
PaulBWatertownCT_imp said:

Riders are always welcome, PaulB, whether current CB1100 owners or not.

I think some of us took issue with your conclusion this bike is "terrible to live with" because you base your assessment partly on subjective reactions--the seat, being top-heavy, for example. Others like the seat, like the weight. And you express dismay at the valve check interval and the fact they are not the type you would prefer--a valid critique, but that's known before purchase. Same with the 18" rear tire size. The headers can be kept clean looking if one wants.

But with a statement like this: "The uncomfortable nature of these bikes will ensure low miles." That seems like you're just trying to poke the bear when expressed on a forum that generally appreciates the bike for what it is and more than a few ride the bejeezers out their bikes.

If you had raised the question: "which one, the '13, the '14 or the later '17ex?" as several did before purchase, you would have found most of the issues you raised addressed substantially. Too bad you didn't buy the '17ex: valve clearance raised to 12k miles, header pipe is chrome-covered so no discoloration, the suspension was improved dramatically in the eyes of some owners. But, you would have hated the squealing front brakes that several EX owners have and the seat likely wouldn't have met your needs for 2up riding.

Anyway, that's the last I'll say of it, and look forward to your other bike comments. Looks like you've owned a number of beautiful bikes.
 
PaulBWatertownCT_imp said:
I’m posting this to share my experience with my 2013 CB1100 which I purchased in excellent condition with only 8k miles. I installed new Dunlop tires after the purchase, that’s all it needed. For some background I’m 52 years old, ride both street and dirt, and have been riding motorcycles since I was in middle school. I have owned many bikes of all styles including American, Italian, European, and Japanese.

Overall opinion: the CB looks beautiful but is a terrible bike to live with.

Riding experience: very top heavy, the bike seems to weigh a ton, inadequate mushy suspension, especially with a passenger, excessive fork dive when braking, and is unbearably uncomfortable after 40 minutes of riding. Everything about the seat is wrong for the driver, and the passenger seat is not stepped and too narrow, so the passenger view and experience are terrible as well. Yes, I tried another seat, Corbin, it helped a bit but not enough.

Fit and finish: The wheels are beautiful, as is the bike in general, but the odd 18” rear tire size really limits your tire choices, not to mention tire cost. The wheels started to loose their finish in multiple spots, which I have not seen on other Hondas. The exhaust is beautiful looking when new, however my header pipe completely discolored and looked terrible as it is unfinished stainless steel of some unknown quality. In contrast my 1994 CB1000 header still looks brand new and shiny at almost 30 years old.

Now the worst part, the engine. The driveline lash is sloppy and annoying. The valve clearance adjustment intervals are at 8k miles. This is completely unacceptable. Even worse, this is a shim under bucket design require pulling the cams to adjust, which is a huge job and completely unnecessary. 1984 Honda Nighthawks had a similar motor with similar redline, but had hydraulic valve adjusters meaning they never needed adjustment. Why Honda? You couldn’t open your 30 year old Nighthawk engine manual to see how this is done? Maybe it would have added a half inch to the engine height? Even if you insisted on manual adjustment, give us home mechanics some screw type adjusters. This is not a race motor and doesn’t demand expensive shim adjusters. A minor complaint was the five speed transmission, which in top gear was still running more RPMs than necessary for the torque of this engine. I understand the ‘14 got a six speed, but it also got crappy hand controls in the process.

Ok, the engine starts and runs just fine and has decent power for what it is. No complaints in the engine performance department.

I am a Honda fan to say the least, my current Honda bikes include an 89 CB400F, 89 Hawk GT 650, 1990 NSR250SP, 1991 CBR600F2, 1994 CB1000, and a 2006 ST1300. That might sound excessive but they are mostly low dollar investments, I enjoy tinkering, and I enjoy different riding experiences. I was excited to buy the 2013 CB, even tried a Corbin seat, but after trying to live with the CB, it had to go. My 94 CB1000 remains and is better in every way than the 13 CB1100 which I thought would replace it.

This can’t be just my opinion. Almost every CB1100 I see for sale has less than 10k miles on it. This is not a coincidence. The uncomfortable nature of these bikes will ensure low miles.

I usually don’t post in forums after I no longer own the bike, but I wish someone would have let me in on this secret when I was looking to buy a CB.

Sounds like a modern version of an old CB750 or KZ900.
 
So many choices out there, so much information out there, and still people are surprised when they get their "New" bike home. I have to admit, I will ride just about anything and enjoy the ride.
My first bike was a Honda SuperHawk, 305, bought for $200 in 1967 in Saigon and sold 2 years later when I left for $200. Great bike, a little Vietnamese guy adjusted the valves by feel, no feeler gages. My first indication that Honda engines are low or no maintenance. Next I bought a Honda 450, then a Honda 750, then a Kawaski KZ900, then a Suzuki GS 1000, then a Kawasaki ZX10 (the old heavy one) then a Kawasaki ZX 9R, then a Ducati Monster M1100, then my present 2013 CB 1100 and 2016 Suzuki GSX S1000.
The point is I loved every one of them, loved to ride them, thoroughly thrashed some of them. The SuperHawk took me all over S. Vietnam with little to no maintenance and no problems, the CB 750 ended up a victim of roadracing with a 1,000cc kit, the ZX 9R gave me 46,000 miles with many track days and 10,000 rpm runs down the Ontario back straight. Valve adjustments were rarely needed on these bikes. I have 11,000 miles on my CB 1100, the valves hum nicely for me, and I will not be even checking for about another 10,000 miles.
I am now 79 years old and I love to ride either of my bikes, but the CB 1100 is definitely more user friendly. The GSX is for when I am feeling good for a fast ride.
 
I have been fortunate to have owned a bunch of motorcycles over the years and my 2014 CB1100 DX is one of my favorite standards I have ever owned. It’s very good at what it’s designed to be. Great motor, excellent clutch and transmission. Terrific riding position and decent brakes. There may be some areas that can be improved but out of the crate it’s a pretty nice bike. I -lan on keeping mine for a while
 
I don't like the look of the new bikes (Jaspion Bikes), so my option is for retro style, that's why I have a Z900RS 2019 in Brazil and it's very cool, I just put the original seat of the American version that is a little taller and is little most comfortable thing. I also have a 2013 Honda CB1100 Red, in Orlando FL, and I like to compare the two bikes.
The Kawasaki has a stronger engine and makes more turns, while the Honda is softer, quieter and seems to brake a little more.
I am now 60 years old and now I like to ride slowly, so I like the Honda better for this use.
I was hoping that Honda would bring the CB1100 to Brazil, but I believe that will not happen, because it is air-cooled, they will not adapt to the new pollution standards of some countries and unfortunately they will discontinue it, because they have already launched the Final edition for a sad goodbye :huh:
 
Hello Beto Rocco and welcome to the forum. That's two nice bikes you have.
 
Back
Top