Ride across the USA

Django’s tech is working fine. We were st a motel in that area
Flyn. We’re leaving Hanksville around 1045 for natural bridges to get our campsite then Mexican hat via Blanding to eat at swinging steak restaurant then back the Mowgi switchbacks to come at natural bridges. Tomorrow we roll to Blanding then north to Moab.
 
We passed Flyn Rider at speed. He was heading north on his Nighthawk. We were heading south out of natural bridges monument. He had just came up the Mowgi Dugway Switchbacks and we were almost there. Will look for him in camp tonight. Long day. We crushed some miles and the unrelenting heat was trying to crush us. We’re in Mexican Hat getting ready to walk into the Swinging Steak
 
Thread starter
New tires are mounted:

b4375496a7cd64a3d364bcb469c35378.jpg


Unfortunately the motorcycle doctor remounted the front wheel in a way, the the rotor was dragging at the brake calliper, very nasty sound, but noticed it not until bolder, as I wore my ear protection.

In Hankesville at Frulk's truck, I got the front wheel out and fixed that issue by myself. Was glad for the tools I brought with me...
 
One of the reasons the Doc was pleased to move to Escalante is that he was allowed to carry a gun.
 
I'm not sure he said why.
 
Ok. Now linked up with Flyn. 3 variations of CBS’s heading to Moab. Currently eating lunch in Blanding. Anybody in Moab tonight heading to rally? We could meet for dinner.
 
Wait till the end of the trip Rboe. He's writing a message or drawing a picture with GPS trails :D
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Wait till the end of the trip Rboe. He's writing a message or drawing a picture with GPS trails :D
All I know for sure is he does NOT want to see Nevada :D
 
From Moab, consider routing them south and then east on UT46 into Colorado and across Paradox Valley. From there, they'll meet up with CO 141 near Naturita, which they can follow north along the Dolores River and through Gateway, in the direction of Grand Junction. CO 141 is one of the finest and most scenic motorcycling roads in the state. Nearing Grand Junction, they'll meet up with US 50, which they can follow south to Montrose. Just my $0.02.

Edit: Google Maps labels it as the San Miguel River, not the Dolores River. I think that's incorrect!
 
The other thought is to head north out of Moab to I-70 (I recommend using UT 128 along the Colorado River). East on I-70 to CO 65, which goes over Grand Mesa and ends at CO 92. East on CO 92 towards Hotchkiss (get gas here!) and continue on CO 92 along the eastern side of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison until it meets US 50. West on US 50 to Montrose. Great roads (except for I-70)!

Edit: After exiting I-70, there is no gas along CO 65 until the town of Cedaredge! I suggest tanking up in Grand Junction or Clifton.
 
We'll take the first one, LR!

We were originally thinking of going southeast after Naturita to Ridgeway, but your route looks much better.

By the way, if anyone is still planning on meeting us for lunch on Tuesday in Moab, we plan on being at the Moab Diner at noon. Departing for Montrose right after lunch.
 
The road to Ridgway is spectacular (it crosses the Dallas Divide, which is really lovely in the fall). If you were to take that route, I'd recommend a quick detour into Telluride for lunch. There's a free ski gondola in town which takes you up the mountain to Mountain Village. It's quite scenic and worthwhile.

In any event, please be sure to tank up before you leave Moab. UT 46 is a lonely stretch of road and you won't find gas until you reach Naturita (which is off the route by a few miles). There is gas at the resort in Gateway ($$$) but then nothing again until you're on US 50, which is a horribly boring road. Ride safe!
 
Back
Top