Ride across the USA

From reading this forum, I get the feeling US law enforcement doesn't quite as exercised about speed as their brethren down under.
 
varies cop to cop Cormanus. I got a ticket for 30 in a 25 once going thru a little town in Kentucky. Ohio Highway Patrol says they will give you 9 over posted limit, after that you get a performance award. I try and stay within 5 of the speed limit, but sometimes that is not enough..
 
Cormanus_imp said:
From reading this forum, I get the feeling US law enforcement doesn't quite as exercised about speed as their brethren down under.
That's true. Out west there are a lot of areas that are pretty much unpatrolled and if they ever tried to put in those God-Awful traps like y'all have (two cameras five miles apart that time your passage) there would be revolt.
 
I've heard "Nine yer fine, ten yer mine" but keeping with the flow of traffic is usually good. I try to ride mostly where traffic is sparse. Lucky and blessed enough to live in a rural area.

Ben
 
Oh, dear, now look what I've done. Sorry, Django.
 
Ben70_imp said:
I've heard "Nine yer fine, ten yer mine" but keeping with the flow of traffic is usually good. I try to ride mostly where traffic is sparse. Lucky and blessed enough to live in a rural area.

Ben
Our son is a CHP in the San Diego area. He said 10 over with the flow of traffic wont get you stopped. He looks for multiple infractions. Rolling a stop + no turn signal + speeding + improper lane change + tailgating will get you a ticket for 2 or more infractions. His biggie is tailgating which he will pull you over for that only. He doesn't like tailgaters. But that is just him.
 
Ben70_imp said:
I've heard "Nine yer fine, ten yer mine" but keeping with the flow of traffic is usually good. I try to ride mostly where traffic is sparse. Lucky and blessed enough to live in a rural area.

Ben
Some of the very few times where cages can be useful is when passing through known speed traps. Cages often rip through the radar zones and are routinely picked off. Riding in their wake can help as you are not detected.
 
Django_imp said:
Hello my friends, this is another sign of life. I start in Wrightwood this morning, where I had a bed last night.

I'm having a great time but unfortunately not much time to be in the forum.

Pick up of the bike and getting it thru custom worked seamlessly last Monday, at 4 pm I was ready to take off at Delta Airline Freight Center.

Next stop was at the gas station, my creditcard is accepted. That's fine too.

Then I rode to Santa Monica to see the Pacific ocean. Was a little touristic crowed there. I continued to ride the old Topanga Canyon north and finally headed east to Glendale, to find my motel.

Wow, a lot of traffic there in L.A. But no problems.

Yesterday I rode the C 2, Angeles Crest Highway. That wos great. I did pictures but currently have no time to post them, will do that later.

I got my Spot device running and set up a page at SpotWalla, where you can follow my ride. The rider shows my last position.

Invalid Resource

It does not show my ride complete from the beginning and the timezone is wrong, but for now I hpe it is good enough, will fix that later.

That's all so far, have to pack and get riding again. Today I want to get up the Sout of the Sierra Nevada.
Just reposting so folks can see the spotwalla link
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Django_imp said:
Hello my friends, this is another sign of life. I start in Wrightwood this morning, where I had a bed last night.

I'm having a great time but unfortunately not much time to be in the forum.

Pick up of the bike and getting it thru custom worked seamlessly last Monday, at 4 pm I was ready to take off at Delta Airline Freight Center.

Next stop was at the gas station, my creditcard is accepted. That's fine too.

Then I rode to Santa Monica to see the Pacific ocean. Was a little touristic crowed there. I continued to ride the old Topanga Canyon north and finally headed east to Glendale, to find my motel.

Wow, a lot of traffic there in L.A. But no problems.

Yesterday I rode the C 2, Angeles Crest Highway. That wos great. I did pictures but currently have no time to post them, will do that later.

I got my Spot device running and set up a page at SpotWalla, where you can follow my ride. The rider shows my last position.

Invalid Resource

It does not show my ride complete from the beginning and the timezone is wrong, but for now I hpe it is good enough, will fix that later.

That's all so far, have to pack and get riding again. Today I want to get up the Sout of the Sierra Nevada.
Just reposting so folks can see the spotwalla link
Just reposting so folks can see the spotwalla link
Hey, thanks MTC!
 
Thread starter
Last night I camped at the NLM campground Keyesville South, at the outlet of the Isabella lake, Could cool my feets in the very cold water. Everything with my new tent worked find and it was a very relaxing experience.

But let's begin in the Morning. I started in Wrightwood getting the tires in shape down the hills. Then it was getting hotter when I entered the Mojave desert. I visited the Kill-Bill-Church. This church was the movie place for the marriage in the movie Kill Bill.

From there it was some nice lonesome small highways until I got to the freeway, approaching Mojave, where I had some rest. Before Bakersville I left the freeway following some very nice back country roads up to Isabella lake.

After building up my tent there was still 2 hours daylight, so I decided to ride around lake Isabella. No traffic at all, very nice.

In the dark I started planning my tour for the next day, before I crawled into my sleeping bag. Felt asleep very early and had a perfect night, woke up 6.30 am to a sunny new day.

My track from the tracker (the newest data):
Invalid Resource

The track from my GPS device (postponed, has to be uploaded by me):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yUVNuRsgkiYc58a5-RcWWJSI6WQmmJqU&usp=sharing
 
Very cool! My wife and I did that trip in reverse last week on our way home from visiting friends in Murphys, which is to your north right now.

Watch yourself going through Fresno, some unsavory areas....
 
Go, Django, go! Your current spot location looks like some excellent riding terrain. Mountains and canyons with rivers at the bottom.
 
Glad to hear that you are well on your way Django.

I am sorry to keep flip-flopping on you here, my mind is all over the place the last few weeks, but I have June 26-30 off work, and was considering riding into Tennessee/Smoky Mtns with you then. Lemme know what you think. Safe travels!
 
Thread starter
dbarkdoll_imp said:
Glad to hear that you are well on your way Django.

I am sorry to keep flip-flopping on you here, my mind is all over the place the last few weeks, but I have June 26-30 off work, and was considering riding into Tennessee/Smoky Mtns with you then. Lemme know what you think. Safe travels!
Daniel, I'm sorry, that's too early for me. I guess I will be there a week later, 1st week of July.
 
Thread starter
Started to load up some pictures (don't expect to much):
http://www.1a-software.de/~rsz/bilder/190603_usa/

703e98ae95a224cb5b2be0df719906eb.jpg


Last night I was in a motel in Squaw Valley. Did the Sequela and Kings Canyon national park yesterday. But best was in the morning the ride up the Stern river from Isabella lake and then down highway 190 was awesome, just curves, no traffic and nice views.

Got a pass for the national parks now, $80.

Highway 120 is still closed, so I replanned to go up north and take the highway 108 to pass the mountains to the East. So today I do Yosemite Valley, tomorrow go highway 108 to find my way down to Lone Pine.

Now I know, how you guys get that high mileage out of your fuel. My fuel consumption average dropped from 5.7 l/100km (at home) to currently 4.8 l/100km.

Now I've to get up, gentlemen. I have to get some miles in. :D
 
Django thanks for the uploaded pics, nice.
Hope you remembered to shoot some video for yourself later, when i was in San Fransisco years ago i did this and still enjoy the moment i play the old stuff, memories come back etc.
 
Back
Top