Ride across the USA

Hi Django!
2018 Tioga Pass was closed til end of May, 2017 til end of June. We have had record snow in the Sierras this year so it might be a last minute decision on getting through to Lee Vining, depending on snowmelt, etc.
You may want to pre-plan alternate routes on highway 50 to the north or 40 to the south to make it across the mountains, just in case. There are may be other options as well, but Yosemite is worth seeing.
Love your adventure, and being able to vicariously participate is already exciting! I must say that my tendency to "stop and smell the roses" would make your trip at least 2 months for me... Good Luck!

Ben
 
I would without a doubt ride to the top of Mt. Washington in NH while you're in the white mountains. its the coolest thing I've ever done on a motorcycle. The Autoroad for motorcycles costs 17$ and you even get a sticker for riding to the top :) i did nothing with my sticker but I've seen them on hard bags. Heck i might even meet you for the ride up on my CB1100. I live on Long Island and I'm going back for my second time for Laconia Motorcycle Rally this year.
 
Thread starter
mvk24, I was really tempted to say: let's make an appointment. But then, Mt. Washington is about 400 miles North of NYC. I'm afraid, that's too much off my planned route, Appalachians up to NYC.

But, as you're from Long Island, we could meet eventually around Elizabeth, NJ, where I have to drop my bike in the morning of Monday, July 15th. After that I go to JFK airport to fly back to Germany.

I should be around Elizabeth the day or weekend before Jul 15th, still not having an accommodation.

Hm, and collecting stickers sounds like a fun idea anyway. :thumbsup:
 
The part of Highway 50 going through Nevada east of Reno is nicknamed loneliest road in America. I’ve been on it. Pretty desolate out there. That being said I think there are several stretches of blacktop that challenge that claim.
 
How long before you set out, Django?
 
Exciting. I’m envious.
 
Thread starter
024e108fe23ea80d406b87654dde6a39.png
 
I’m actually considering going south Friday and riding part of the Danjo route to verify some things. Such as the non-paved section of the famous (maybe locally) Burr Trail switchbacks. I rode the Mowgi Dugway switchbacks on a cafe with Pirellis sport demons so I’m thinking “just how bad can it be?”. Guess I’ll try to find out. A coworker is in the process of buying an Indian Scout Bobber today. He’s trying to work his schedule to come along. We would ride Capitol Reef and part of the Boulder Plateau.

https://rootsrated.com/stories/utahs-most-scenic-drive-the-burr-trail-road
 
An act of remarkable generosity, Frulk!
 
Cormanus, Well, to be totally honest this isn’t at all a purely altruist undertaking. Far from it. I’m doing this as much for myself as to scout for Django. My coworker, if he goes will no doubt let me ride the Scout for a good portion of blacktop so there is that additional incentive. As well as the customary campfire and accompanying micro brews, zipping through sandstone canyons in and out of the shadows under a warm spring sun etc. and so forth....
 
Django, I’m gonna copy/paste my response here from our other thread, for the sake of simplicity/continuity. I’d really like to ride along with you through the Ozarks, and camp if that’s what you have in mind.


That route looks great Django. Very good choice of roads. If you're open to suggestions, I have a few.

From Clarksville to Cass, my preferred route is going north on 103, stopping at Oark Cafe or Catalpa Cafe nearby for lunch, then taking 215 west to Cass. It follows the Mulberry River and is one of my favorite roads in the state. Lots of beautiful places to stop by the river and cool off and admire the scenery. Highway 23 (The Pig Trail) from White Oak to Cass is very highly rated, but overrated in my opinion. I’ve ridden that section 3 times this month and the road condition is very poor. It’s due for a resurfacing soon probably. Also there’s only one overlook to speak of and it’s just okay. I also don’t like the flow of that section. Just as you start to get a good rhythm down a sharp curve will come out of nowhere and disrupt it. I’d take 103/215 over that section all day everyday.

23 north to Eureka Springs is amazing though, I just rode that yesterday. I’d stick with that for sure. Eureka Springs is amazing too. Give your self plenty of time there. Thorncrown Chapel is a must see there. And you won’t find friendlier folks around.

Also Highway 16/21 from Deer to Clarksville is great, and I would not hesitate to do it, but I think I prefer taking 7 down to Sand Gap, then taking 123 down to Hagarville. 123 is also one of my favorite roads in the state, along with many others. You really cannot go wrong either way though.

Lets hash out some dates soon and maybe I can ride some/all of this with you. I work Monday through Friday so I would need to request off ASAP.
 
60? So doing it while you're still young? :D

I have not read the whole thread, but I'm in Phoenix, there is some good country in northern Arizona (quickly it will be too hot to enjoy the southern half although it has been pretty dang nice this year).

Some friends and I have been planning a dual sport ride through the San Carlos Indian reservation then over to 191 (AKA the Devil's highway because it used to be labeled Highway 666) then up to Alpine. For various reasons we keep pushing the ride off - right now it's supposed to happen next week. Depending on when you ride through - ping me.
 
Frulk_imp said:
Cormanus, Well, to be totally honest this isn’t at all a purely altruist undertaking. Far from it. I’m doing this as much for myself as to scout for Django. My coworker, if he goes will no doubt let me ride the Scout for a good portion of blacktop so there is that additional incentive. As well as the customary campfire and accompanying micro brews, zipping through sandstone canyons in and out of the shadows under a warm spring sun etc. and so forth....
As I said, generous. :D Someone's got to do it, I guess. Look forward to a report on the Scout.
 
Thread starter
@Frulk: Unbelievable, what you get going there!

@Daniel: :thumbsup: Looking forward to see you.

@Rboe: My roadbook for Arizona currently looks like this:
Mo, June 10: from around Shoshone to Kingman thru the Mojave National Preserve
Tue, June 11: from Kingman to Williams along the old route 66, may be stay in Williams or go directly to the campground at Grand Canyon South rim.
Wed, June 12: go to the North rim
Thu, June 13: go direction Zion, UT.

Devil's highway from Three Way to Alpine looks good. I'm afraid, it's out of my reach, 6 weeks is too short...

Gentlemen, can't tell you, how much I'm looking forward!

0a0781871721f58699b48ce71b38eb37.png
 
Thread starter
dbarkdoll_imp said:
Do you have any dates hashed out for Arkansas? I will need to ask off for work ASAP.
We could meet in the evening of Monday, June 24 and then ride 2-3 days (Tuesday to Thursday).

Where would we meet?

2ad41a54f9af0dccbcfe9da5f805ec91.png
 
It’s getting very close, Django. :thumbsup:
 
Back
Top