Ride across the USA

Thread starter
MTC, that would be great companionship!

First 3 weeks, June 3 to June 22, there is quite a schedule:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date Morning Evening Comment
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<2019-06-03 Mo> Germany L.A. Arrival LAX 13:10
<2019-06-04 Di> L.A. Wrightwood Angeles Crest Hwy
<2019-06-05 Mi> Wrightwood Wofford Heights along Kill Bill Church
<2019-06-06 Do> Wofford Heights Visalia Canyon Carving
<2019-06-07 Fr> Visalia Fresno Kings Valley
<2019-06-08 Sa> Fresno Lone Pine Yosemite Valley
<2019-06-09 So> Lone Pine Shoshone Death Valley
<2019-06-10 Mo> Shoshone Kingman Route 66
<2019-06-11 Di> Kingman South Rim Route 66
<2019-06-12 Mi> South Rim North Rim
<2019-06-13 Do> North Rim Zion
<2019-06-14 Fr> Zion Escalante visit Zion and Bryce
<2019-06-15 Sa> Escalante Camping Frulk, ATV to Camping
<2019-06-16 So> Camping Escalante Frulk, Roundtrip Lake Powell
<2019-06-17 Mo> Escalante Moab Frulk? Roper?
<2019-06-18 Di> Moab Montrose Roper? West Coast Rally
<2019-06-19 Mi> Montrose Montrose West Coast Rally
<2019-06-20 Do> Montrose Montrose West Coast Rally
<2019-06-21 Fr> Montrose Montrose West Coast Rally
<2019-06-22 Sa> Montrose n.n. n.n.


98ffce9faac5d5fe74af65046eb5b629.png


June 18 to 22 is the West Coast Rally around Montrose.

From Montrose I will head east or southeast, along Ozark National Forest over to the Appalachian.

I have the second 3 weeks of my 6 weeks trip, to enter the Smoky Mountains, visit Houtman, make a loop south to enter the BRP at Blue Ridge and make it up to South of New York, where I have to drop my bike at July 15.

These 3 weeks I only have a rough plan. Details depend on how other parties would hook in.

8798534c1d650c07c5d4afc43b613559.png


From Colorado to the Smoky Mountains I think about riding a SS1000. But that's also very undecided and wouldn't fit well with a visit of Ozark National Forest.
 
If I can arrange it, it would have to be on the "east of Colorado" portion. Still lots of time to plan, and if you do an SS1000 over I-40 then this wouldn't work, but you're going to cross the Natchez Trace Parkway which is a road of fairly significant historic importance. You may want to dip south of Memphis and the ride Natchez Trace before continuing on. It is possible, but don't count on it, that I could meet you someplace near Nashville and ride with you for a bit.
 
Going tomorrow and picking up Django’s tires he ordered and had delivered at my local Cycle Gear store. Plan is to bring them with me in the truck (hauling my bike south to meet him) and then he will have them put on.
 
A great story...

And what a great bunch of guys on this Forum. SO helpful (as I've already experienced - thanks "John"!! :thumbsup: )
 
Not sure about all U.S. states, but there is no legal restriction in Canada. Tire safety and rider commonsense I believe is something that is not yet governed here - yet. However, during bike sale inspections an unsafe tire will fail certification.
 
In the USA, you can legally drive on bald tires.
 
In Virginia, the annual state inspection for vehicles says: Measure in two adjacent tread grooves where tread is thinnest. If either of the grooves measure 2/32 of an inch or more, no further measurements are necessary and tread depth is satisfactory. Do not take measurements from the tread wear indicators.

6. If both adjacent grooves measure less than 2/32 of an inch, the tire tread depth must be measured again at two additional equally spaced intervals around the circumference of the tire in a like manner as the first measurement. Refer to Figure 1. If the tread depth is less than 2/32 of an inch in two adjacent tread grooves at each of the equally spaced intervals, the tire must be rejected.
MEASURE WHERE THE TREAD IS THINNEST IN TWO ADJACENT TREAD GROOVES

It also says if the tread wear indicators are in contact with the ground the inspection fails, or if showing fabric or steel belts, etc.
 
Thread starter
Wow, 2/32 of an inch is approx 1.6 mm. That's pretty much the same, what German inspection requires.

That is double the depth as the wear indicators, which show up (contact with ground) at 0.8 mm or 1/32 of an inch tread depth.
 
I got that info off the Virginia State Police site. The next time I'm in the Honda shop I'll ask what they actually look for. Sometimes the law and the practice aren't exactly the same.
 
Ive never seen or heard of a policeman inspect tire tread depth
 
The ferret_imp said:
Ive never seen or heard of a policeman inspect tire tread depth
Don't come to the UK then! After any really serious accident, "tyre tread depths" are an integral part of the Police Accident Investigation, particularly if wet weather or skidding was a feature.

Plus, any Police traffic stop will involve a cursory examination of tyre condition and evidence of 'tread depth' could feature if the tyres are obviously bald.
 
Ferret, I never have either. But they enforce the program in Va.

By the way, I stopped at my Honda Dealer today and they said tread must be 3/32 or they fail the bike. Don’t know why there is a difference between the VSP website and the dealer, but a change that didn’t make the website wouldn’t surprise me.

While there I checked out the Cub. What a cool little machine. I want one!! Build quality is really nice. Elegant.
 
Will not argue how DOT regulations play in different countries, but Canada & USA are very close & similar.
In Canada, as far as tread depth is concerned:
Method of inspection:
Inspect the tire tread to locate the area where the depth is at its minimum.
Measure it at a major groove using a suitable tread-depth gauge. Do not measure tread depth on a wear bar.

FAILED: tread depth is less than 2 mm = 5/64 at point of minimum tread depth, which means: 2/32 failed.
Passed: 3/32

Tread issue is only a small fraction of tire safety inspection, besides other factors such as: age, cracks, cuts, bulge, re-treading, re-grooving, cord exposure, presence of plug-type repair, or rubber-coated or cured-rubber plug is used in the sidewall, UV degradation, tire leakage...

Police is not a vehicle safety authority and cannot influence safety inspection, but DOT is.
Hope this helps you understanding tire safety...

:)
 
Back
Top