Ride across the USA

Thread starter
When I arrive in L.A. (LAX) from Germany at June 03, I'll need
- a SIM card (US) for my cell phone
- a hotel/motel room for 1 night.

What kind of phone card would you suggest, contract or prepaid, which provider? I'd need phone and data for my smartphone for 6 weeks.
I think, I will not phone that much and may use wlan/wifi for data often. However, I may need internet access via phone sometimes.
Where would I get a phone card near LAX?

Then, may be the L.A. locals of this forum could point me to a hotel or motel for that night? As I want to start out direction NE along the Angeles Crest Hwy (2), it should be somewhere between LAX and La Cañada Flintridge?

Any hints are welcome.
 
I know regular visitors from Belgium and Germany enable an option on their home plan to roam without incurring a high penalty in North American. It is similar for many North American mobile providers for subscribers roaming in Europe. Some home providers in Canada charge an optional small fee (e.g. $5 per day, others $30 per month, etc.) on top of their monthly plan to roam internationally to popular destinations.

Example: I can take my mobile, and for $5 per day roam my plan voice/message/data anywhere in the U.S.
 
Django. When in the UK my wife purchases an add-on "international plan" from our network (Verizon) provider to allow us to use unrestricted data/phone. Costs us $10 per day. If we don't use the phone for the day it doesn't charge us. She sets this up BEFORE we get there. Works like a charm. I would think this is an option through your local provider as well.
 
Thread starter
Hm, I'll look up this roaming thing. In Europe there is no extra roaming cost any more for all EU countries if your country is a member of the EU.

$10 per day would give me $420 for 42 days (6 weeks)?!
 
Django_imp said:
Hm, I'll look up this roaming thing. In Europe there is no extra roaming cost any more for all EU countries if your country is a member of the EU.

$10 per day would give me $420 for 42 days (6 weeks)?!
Yeah, I don't mean "roaming" in the classical sense. It is more of an option enable that allows you to use your plan in other countries without additional charges. Seems pretty common now in most industrialized nations. Your provider enable cost may vary, however, I believe the U.S. host country is about the cheapest.

And as Frulk pointed out, most plans will not charge the daily fee if you do not connect in the host country for those days only you do not use mobile communications and/or data.
 
Django, if you go down the path of acquiring a local SIM, check to make sure the US provider supports your phone. Some US networks use GSM; others CDMA. Australian phones are generally GSM. My phone works fine in the UK and Europe with a local SIM, but would not work with Verizon in the US, only AT&T. It may not be such a problem with 4G and data.
 
For what its worth, our iPhone 6+'s worked fine in Ireland and Scotland last August. No cards needed. Turn them on and they are all set.

Django, do you still speak with Alex? There ought to be a lot of questions he should be able to answer. While at my house he was connected to Wifi and used a phone (and a laptop) I seem to remember.
 
I use the Spot Gen3. I like it. I can program it to send "OK" notices via text, email, or social media

Speaking of insurance though, I'll get back to you today or tomorrow Django. I have everything I need except the time to put it all together.
 
Thread starter
#1: get ESTA
#2: book flight
#3: apply for EPA import line
#4: bought a tent, will camp underway (last camping was 18 years ago, I'm curious)
#5: got USA EPA Exemption for my Honda CBF1000F, valid for 1 year
#6: got a Spot Gen 3 tracker (used 50 Euro)
#7: hotel in L.A. for the first night is booked

Next step is to clarify bike liability insurance, working on it with MTC.
 
Sounds like you are about ready for the big adventure. We will all be riding along with you via the forum. Enjoy the ride!
 
#4 -- Don't forget an air mattress. Ground is amazingly hard.
 
All this preparation and groundwork will pay off with a lifetime of unforgettable memories and experiences! What a grand adventure!
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
#4 -- Don't forget an air mattress. Ground is amazingly hard.
I still have a Thermarest from older times, like this one:



May be, I should make a test run errr sleep to check out, if it's still thick enough...

What kind of air mattress do you use?
 
Failing that, you can always get a wonderful Mexican or Indigenous blanket in AZ. They'll last a lifetime, are natural fiber, but a bit cumbersome to hull on the motorcycle.
 
Back
Top