A thermarest should be fine if it doesn’t leak. I use this Sleeping Mats | Exped
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Including "camping" can help keep your trip affordable. Eg $30 to $50 for a campsite versus $80-$150 for a motel/hotel. I used KOA (Camping, Campgrounds & Campsites | Camping Reservations | KOA) a lot in my San Diego to Maryland round trip last year. They offer open areas for tents and also have "cabins" (no plumbing, just beds to lay your sleeping back on, plus electricity, TV, and often air conditioning). I bought inexpensive camping stuff from a chain store called Big 5 Sports (Big 5): 2 person Tent = $40, 20 degree sleeping bag = $50, blowup matress = $20, battery pump for mattress = $20, propane stove = $25 ... plus LOKSAK OPSAK Odor Proof Barrier Bags from REI to store my food items because squirrels eat thru my saddle bags at Zion Utah. Food was simple for me: instant Starbucks coffee, instant milk, instant oatmeal, apples, granola bars, mini-bar items (Jack Daniels, Southern Comfort).Django_imp said:While I did not camp for more than 15 years, some friends told me, I had to do camping on my ride across the USA, as that is a unique experience in the wild.
What do ya think? That would mean, I had to carry a tent, sleeping bag and a camping mat...
Welcome to the USA !It’s good, although there are two slight negatives: it’s a bit squeaky to sleep on; and pumping it up with the internal pump is like giving CPR and takes a while. But it’s comfortable..Django_imp said:Wow! Down filled. I'm tempted to get one.
Lived around Freiburg for 27 years, nicest area in Germany. Had to move to Stuttgart area for business. If you're ever back to that area, ask for a Kräußenpils from the Elzacher Löwenbräu (brewery).nhawk7504_imp said:I had a Pils in Freiburg, Germany. Horrid. Local brew Hefeweizen was MUCH better. Prep for the trip looks good. Nothing you don't need. I saw a sign in Arizona recently. Watch for bears and mountain lions. :-O

I was pretty impressed when I saw the headlines, but after I read that it was a 50 lb. starving cub, I felt sorry for the little cat.Django_imp said:Lived around Freiburg for 27 years, nicest area in Germany. Had to move to Stuttgart area for business. If you're ever back to that area, ask for a Kräußenpils from the Elzacher Löwenbräu (brewery).nhawk7504_imp said:I had a Pils in Freiburg, Germany. Horrid. Local brew Hefeweizen was MUCH better. Prep for the trip looks good. Nothing you don't need. I saw a sign in Arizona recently. Watch for bears and mountain lions. :-O
Heard about a jogger killing a mountain lion with bare hands recently:
Jogger recounts killing mountain lion with his bare hands