Ride across the USA

Django, This is part one of many replies I'm drafting...LOTS to cover so I'll start with CAMPING: In the USA camping can be done in many areas. There are two types of camping. Developed Camping and Primitive camping. Out west we have both in abundance. You can camp in developed campgrounds such as Kamp Grounds of America (KOA), in National Forest Developed Campground sites, In National Monuments in developed sites and so forth. Zion and Bryce Nat Parks both have developed camping. Developed means a picnic site with a fire ring (parks usually provide firewood unless there's a ban due to dry weather. You'll have a picnic table with a shade cover (usually) and there will be vault toilets or actual flushing toilets with showers and possibly other amenities. In June expect it to be HOT in southern Utah with lots of people milling around in the camp sites in the national parks located in Utah. We have in the USA land owned by the public under the designation of Burau of Land Management (BLM). That land in most cases has open, primitive camping. Meaning you can camp wherever you please without restriction.

To me KOA is the least desirable place to camp. It's a franchise operated campground with small spaces and lots of people (usually boy scouts) making noise until whatever hour in the night.

During the summer the national parks are usually booked for most sites that will take reservations. However, they keep a small number available on a first come basis. Coincidentally I got one of these in Zion when my cousin from Bonn was visiting and it was actually ok. People in the campground were respectful and we slept well (I was in truck and carried a lot of gear like cots and so forth).

Primitive camping is abundant in parts of California, Nevada and Utah and possibly in parts of Colorado (Long Ranger will weigh in on this). If it was me I'd bring an ultralight tent, sleeping bag rated to about 32 degrees, a small camp stove and some ultralight cooking gear. if you have the space. Out west you could get a lot of use out of it. West meaning anything up to Colorado.

I plan to meet up with you and remote camp maybe 1/2 nites. If we do that and you don't have the gear I will. I'll just need to know it in advance so I can bring yours. Possibly at Natural Bridges National Monument (Natural Bridges National Monument became the first International Dark Sky Park certified by the International Dark-Sky Association.) This part of the USA has EPIC horizon to horizon night sky views of the Milky Way.

About our weather. In June it's HOT, did I mention that already? I would refrain from wearing gear that's all black....Ironically as I write this I'm looking out of the garage bay door and snow is blowing sideways at close to white-out conditions...more to come shortly
Your route through Utah: Looks like you will come in from the east into Zion. That's the route I would recommend.

*Anything with an asterixis you should google for pictures of said place.

*Zion: Come early in the afternoon and you could get one of the first come first served spots. someone once asked me what the difference is between Zion and Bryce. I explained it like this. In Zion you spend all your time looking up and in Bryce you spend all your time looking down. The MUST DO portion of Zion is *The Narrows. The classic way to do them is from the top down but that's prohibitive for you based on your schedule. However, once in the park you can get to *The Mouth of The Narrows and hike upstream against the current a ways for pictures and to cool off and that will give a great perspective of the scale of the canyon the Virgin River has cut through this sandstone. The next must do is the drive through the park and you will do that by default. There are many places to pull out on to take pics and there are some spots with hiking trails to view points. Lastly, *Angels Landing. A steep climb with some exposure at the top. Panoramic views of the main canyon will be the pay-off. It will be crowded and if you have even a moderate fear of heights I'd recommend not doing it. Close to the top there are chains to grab.

The drive into Bryce is pretty picturesque as you get closer to it and see some of the red sandstone formations in advance. I like Bryce but I'm not as taken by it as some folks. One of my favorite spots isn't even in the park, it's to the left just before the main gate on a road called *Fairyland Point Road. Drive to the end of it, park and walk the trail(s) out there and you stand a good chance of missing a lot of the crowds. I suppose because this is a bucket lister for you you'll need to make the loop through the park. One of the hassles of Nat parks during the tourist season is finding parking. Because you're on a bike this will be significantly reduced for you.

East of Bryce, on *Highway 12 is where I believe the most scenic portion of Utah lies. I'd like to meet up with you in the town of *Escalante early in the morning (that's a date I need because I'll be planning a few things around it). We will do a morning hike to *Lower Calf Creek Falls (6 miles round trip on foot through a canyon east of Escalante)I'll be on my bike at that point and will have a truck and trailer with ATV's parked east of *Capitol Reef that we will travel to for one night of camping off the atv's on a 2,000 cliff miles from nowhere. After that we come back to town the next morning for breakfast at a restaurant. Drop the atv's off and pick up the bikes and head south for a route around the north end of *Lake Powell via ferry to the east side, then along some striking and VERY remote sandstone byways. Stopping at non-technical slot canyons for short hikes, canyon overlooks and a 1,200 year old native American *Anasazi ruin. We will do about 240 miles on this day We would end up where we started and spend the night in a hotel, Beyond that I can't plan because I need the date we would meet in Escalante but *Moab would probably be next.

Some of this route is available under the seat time section with a lot of pictures I posted. You might want to look it up.
 
I obviously live in the totally wrong end of the country
20f074c2ff1701c0a0376fbed2375090.png



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Django, I'm in Utah not too far from Frulk. I'd also like to meet up with you for a couple of days. I'm a teacher, so my schedule is pretty flexible in the summer. With a couple of days notice, I could meet you in St. George or Escalante or anywhere that works for you. I've got dirt bikes and could contribute to the ATV adventure! Keep us posted!
 
Thread starter
Frulk, wow, you are giving me a lotto absorb! That remote camping trip sounds great! Being out in the wild under the dark sky was the reason when I was asking for camping. However, I'm not sure, if I would do it alone in a foreign country. With your support I could do it, what a grand offer!

I guess, I'll look up all the * locations you mentioned, to get a better idea, how to plan my route around this. The route still is just a sketch.

Most I'm looking forward to some epic scenic rides and of course to meet such nice people of this forum in real life.

June is hot and crowded in Utah? Hm, my first intention was to start end of April in LA. Then I was told, that might be too early in the year, cold and most national parks were closed. Well, now I'll be there in June and in black leathers. :D

Might be a challenge, to find the right gear suitable for all regions of the USA, I want to visit.

Roper, I would really appreciate to share some miles with you. May be, you could companion me for 1 or few days, just as you schedule allows. Ever thought about to go to the 2019 West Coast Rally?
http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=13919
 
The rally looks like some really good riding. If you're including that in your trip, Django, we may be able to meet on the way there.
 
Django:

In addition to Developed and Primitive camping there are many municipalities, towns and villages that advertise camping in their city parks ranging from no charge to a small fee. I've seen many of these while passing through on rides.

Most have fire rings and restroom facilities but many do not have showers. They are also patrolled by local police for security. I've never had any problems while staying at these camping sites.

I hope that this helps.

Haystack
 
Thread starter
This is a first draft of my plan to ride from San Francisco to the Grand Canyon North Rim:

Draft San Francisco - North Rim - Google My Maps

Well, actually this would be part 2 of my trip. Part 1 would be to arrive in LA, get the bike, get some equipment like a phone sim card, ride some routes around LA to get along the Pacific Highway to San Francisco.
 
If I can suggest something before your take off: if you still have any metal plate inside of your body, get a certified statement from your doctor, in ENGLISH.
This may help, when you go through airport metal detectors check points... and I guarantee, these will buzz...
Good luck with easy pass everywhere :thumbsup:
 
I’m very envious of your plan Django. Good luck!
 
Django...couple suggestions on San Francisco. I'm not a local of the city but been there a few times in the past couple of years. Try to get there on a weekend if at all possible. Early (7 AM or around there). Much easier to navigate the city via vehicle at that time. Around 10 AM the streets are filling up. Obviously you'll want to ride across the bridge and if you do make the effort to see the Marin Headlands and Muir Woods (2 must see spots in my estimation). And if you make it that far, consider turning into the boutique town of Sausalito. A cool spot to sit on the dock and look across the water towards Alcatraz and the McMansions which at one time also included Robin Williams house.
 
Thread starter
Well, I guess I have to abandon this San Francisco idea. It's just too much, trying to do the whole USA in 6 weeks. I decided, to narrow down on nice rides in the Sierra Nevade, then going via Yosemite Valley to the east side of Sierra Nevada, down along the Death Valley, some historic Route 66, South Rim, North Rim up to Utah, then West Coast Rally in Montrose.

My arrival in LA will be June 3, arrival at the West Coast Rally should be Tuesday June 18. So, simply working back the places I want to ride, made me to come up with this roadbook as a rough plan:
Code:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date Morning Evening Comment
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<2019-06-03 Mo> Germany L.A. Arrival LAX 13:10
<2019-06-04 Di> L.A. Wrightwood Angeles Crest Hwy
<2019-06-05 Mi> Wrightwood Wofford Heights along Kill Bill Church
<2019-06-06 Do> Wofford Heights Visalia Canyon Carving
<2019-06-07 Fr> Visalia Fresno Kings Valley
<2019-06-08 Sa> Fresno Lone Pine Yosemite Valley
<2019-06-09 So> Lone Pine Shoshone Death Valley
<2019-06-10 Mo> Shoshone Kingman Route 66
<2019-06-11 Di> Kingman South Rim Route 66
<2019-06-12 Mi> South Rim North Rim
<2019-06-13 Do> North Rim Zion
<2019-06-14 Fr> Zion Escalante visit Zion and Bryce
<2019-06-15 Sa> Escalante Camping Frulk, ATV to Camping
<2019-06-16 So> Camping Escalante Frulk, Roundtrip Lake Powell
<2019-06-17 Mo> Escalante Moab Frulk? Roper?
<2019-06-18 Di> Moab Montrose Roper? West Coast Rally
<2019-06-19 Mi> Montrose Montrose West Coast Rally
<2019-06-20 Do> Montrose Montrose West Coast Rally
<2019-06-21 Fr> Montrose Montrose West Coast Rally
<2019-06-22 Sa> Montrose n.n. n.n.
Date Countdown
 
Very nice itinerary Django. Many interests are indeed familiar. I once had to drop San Fran too. California and Arizona alone can consume one. In any case, I left flexibility in the schedule to drop POIs and San Fran was one of them. In a few years following I did make it up.
 
Django, I'll plan on meeting you in Moab on Tuesday, June 18th. If we stay off I-70, it's about 3.5 hours from Moab to Montrose. I can ride in to Moab that morning, so maybe we could have lunch together then head to Montrose. The Moab Diner, right on Main St. (US 191), serves good breakfast food all day long. :)
 
Django, any idea yet on what day you expect to arrive in Escalante? Are you interested in doing the loop described in the links? It can be done in one long day or an overnighter.

For the overnight option I'll give you a guided tour of some non-technical slot canyons and then remote camping under the stars.

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=11960

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=12017

Roper, you planning on riding to the rally via the 46 from Moab to Montrose? I'm thinking depending on what Djangos schedule is I would recommend we come into Moab for the hand-off to you via the south from Mexican Hat via the Mogwi Dugway Switchbacks. Waaay more scenic that I-70 east via Green River.

430aed6c91a9118d6a7ff3422c57d696.jpg


244c0b054cfd36413a8965317c9a336e.jpg
 
Thread starter
Frulk_imp said:
Django, any idea yet on what day you expect to arrive in Escalante? Are you interested in doing the loop described in the links? It can be done in one long day or an overnighter.

For the overnight option I'll give you a guided tour of some non-technical slot canyons and then remote camping under the stars.

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=11960

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=12017

Roper, you planning on riding to the rally via the 46 from Moab to Montrose? I'm thinking depending on what Djangos schedule is I would recommend we come into Moab for the hand-off to you via the south from Mexican Hat via the Mogwi Dugway Switchbacks. Waaay more scenic that I-70 east via Green River.

430aed6c91a9118d6a7ff3422c57d696.jpg


244c0b054cfd36413a8965317c9a336e.jpg
Frulk, that sounds great! I really would like to do an overnighter and remote camping under the stars. That's a one in the lifetime chance for me to do so and experience real Utah. I'm still uncertain, if I will bring camping equipment with me. I guess, I will at least have my sleeping back with me.

The time frame:
<2019-06-14 Fr> Visit Zion and Bryce, arrive in Escalante in the evening
<2019-06-15 Sa> meet Frulk in the morning in Escalante, start guided tour, camping
<2019-06-16 So> with Frulk back to Escalante, continue guided tour
<2019-06-17 Mo> ride from Escalante to Moab, with Frulk?
<2019-06-18 Di> meet Roper in Moab for lunch, ride to Montrose, West Coast Rally

Roper_imp said:
Django, I'll plan on meeting you in Moab on Tuesday, June 18th. If we stay off I-70, it's about 3.5 hours from Moab to Montrose. I can ride in to Moab that morning, so maybe we could have lunch together then head to Montrose. The Moab Diner, right on Main St. (US 191), serves good breakfast food all day long. :)
Great! :beerchug:

I'm really excited!
 
Perfect. I’m flexible on time if you need extra to get there. I’ll have tent and gear and extra pad for you etc. I’ll firm up our section of the trip and send you more specific details shortly.
 
Back
Top