Ride across the USA

Your plans bring you nowhere near me, but make sure you post your itinerary. I’ve been known to ride great distances using excuses far less valid than an opportunity to meet a complete stranger. :)
 
Let me know when you will be bopping through close to Chattanooga .. I would love to ride up from Georgia to meet you and ride a bit . Great Smoky mountain meet up idea sounds great to me !

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
@Inhouse Bob: Dang! This stupid GDPR! I'm geoblocked at CycleTrader. :dodgy:

Trying your link gives me just this:

Quote:CycleTrader.com can no longer support visitors from within the European Union at this time. In compliance with GDPR any My Trader accounts, email correspondence & site activity has been removed from our database.

We are working to be able to serve EU visitors in the future.
Anyway, looking into it a little closer, it appears to be not a really valid option for an alien like me to buy and register a motorcycle in the US. I'd need a RA (resident address). :huh:

Looks quite complicated: https://www.dmv.org/ca-california/motorcycle-registration.php

Other options: [ul] [li]bring my own ride[/li] [li]look again into rental[/li] [li]...we'll see...
[/li][/ul] Currently I would like most bringing my own ride, as I could take my time to prepare the equipment and the ride at home.

@MTC: I followed your saddle sore report around Lake Michigan with great interest. So I've no doubt, that you could do large distances if it just came to your mind. :thumbsup:
Would be glad to meet you. Btw.: I think I was the first one doing a SaddleSore on a CB1100 (April 2015). :P

http://1asw.de/~rsz/bilder/150404_Toskana/150404_cb1100_saddlesort.jpg

@Bigskyorbust: be sure I let you know. Looking forward to meet you!
 
If you bring your CB 1100 we can help you with anything you need done while in the USA : oil/filter change, brakes , tires , chains etc.
Is it expensive to send a bike over ? One way or return .
 
Quote:CycleTrader.com can no longer support visitors from within the European Union at this time. In compliance with GDPR any My Trader accounts, email correspondence & site activity has been removed from our database.
We are working to be able to serve EU visitors in the future. Anyway, looking into it a little closer, it appears to be not a really valid option for an alien like me to buy and register a motorcycle in the US. I'd need a RA (resident address). :huh:
Looks quite complicated: https://www.dmv.org/ca-california/motorcycle-registration.php
Other options: [ul] [li]bring my own ride[/li] [li]look again into rental[/li] [li]...we'll see...
[/li][/ul] Currently I would like most bringing my own ride, as I could take my time to prepare the equipment and the ride at home.
@MTC: I followed your saddle sore report around Lake Michigan with great interest. So I've no doubt, that you could do large distances if it just came to your mind. :thumbsup:
Would be glad to meet you. Btw.: I think I was the first one doing a SaddleSore on a CB1100 (April 2015). :P
http://1asw.de/~rsz/bilder/150404_Toskana/150404_cb1100_saddlesort.jpg
@Bigskyorbust: be sure I let you know. Looking forward to meet you!
[/QUOTE]

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Let me whisper to your ear: buying, registering, insuring and resealing will not work for you as expected, in NA continent, including Canada.
Bring your own...about C$3000 both ways just for the bike or rented but not CB1100 (unavailable)
From Frankfurt to Vancouver or Toronto by Air Canada.
Check all options prior making wise decision.
Wish you good luck & all the best in your escapade.
:thumbsup:
 
My understanding from a buddy I know who lived in OR for a few years is even bringing a bike from Canada into the U.S. and then back to Canada is not free from pain. Much of it has to do with paper evidence/traceabilty, safety, and admin fees. Not to be discouraged, people do it all the time, however, most people stay for a couple of years.
 
Django.
My Idea is ....
Find some one from US who will lend You his CB1100 for 6 weeks during the time when You lend him Yours CB in Europe.

This lend /borrow agreement can be done.
Both of You can have nice Europe/US trip.
You both will have the same risk.

Paweł.
 
I found this thread on Trip Advisor that may prove useful to you. Fair warning: I did not read all of the comments nor do I attest to their veracity. https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTop...kes_for_road_trips_in_the_USA-Road_Trips.html
Also, I wonder if making your purchase and subsequent sale through a Honda dealer at each end of your trip might be an efficient, if not less expensive, way to go. Forum members might be able to connect you with dealers on each coast that might be willing to help you, which is why I suggested Honda dealers.
 
syncronizator_imp said:
Django.
My Idea is ....
Find some one from US who will lend You his CB1100 for 6 weeks during the time when You lend him Yours CB in Europe.

This lend /borrow agreement can be done.
Both of You can have nice Europe/US trip.
You both will have the same risk.

Paweł.
I like this idea... Not sure if it will work, but it's an awesome idea. I had a similar idea, taken from the Pony Express/Stagecoaches -- He borrows a bike from a Forum member in CA and rides it east for a few hundred miles where he leaves that one and picks up another Forum member's bike for another few hundred miles. The donor for each stage would arrange to meet Django at the start of the stage and then retrieve his bike at the agreed upon checkpoint down the road. The retreival portion puts a little burden on the donor, but I know I'd be able to get someone to drive me 150-200 miles to pick up my bike and then I'd have a nice return trip on my CB. I know I know...the logistics would be difficult, but it would make for a helluva Seat Time report! :)
 
I sold a KLR 650 to a fellow from South Africa so that he could tour the USA and all of the Americas. He didn’t have any trouble with the purchase. After a year of touring he returned the bike to his in-law’s home in Florida and left it there for a future ride. Later he decided to let the bike go and had his BIL strip the special touring bits and ship them to SA and junk the rest. This proved to be a bit of a pain from long distance, but it worked out.
The key to it all, I believe, was that I let him use my address as his local address. That made a bit of work for
me (accepting and forwarding paperwork and such) but it wasn’t a big deal. I suppose if he had gotten a bunch of tickets or something it might have been a problem, but he was an upright guy.
The whole experience was a positive for both me and my family. We didn’t know him at all except from Advrider forums but hosted him for a month while we prepped the bike for adventure and he touristed around the DC area. We were ready to
adopt him by the time he left. Great guy.
All that said, perhaps a good solution would be to find someone on the west coast to buy a bike for you and someone on the east coast to sell it when you are done. Trust is paramount in this scenario, but I have found that the folks in this site are a pretty trustworthy bunch. My tour in Australia depended on a lot of trust and was a huge success.
I will happily work with you on the east coast.
Meanwhile, enjoy the planning!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Let's consider this realistic scenario: a not registered/insured rider runs into trouble and as a result, he will have to face liability and its consequences in the U$A.., what's next for him?
Think, think twice...
My bike, insured or rental, this is how I travel...
Sleep well, ride safe.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Let's consider this realistic scenario: a not registered/insured rider runs into trouble and as a result, he will have to face liability and its consequences in the U$A.., what's next for him?
Think, think twice...
My bike, insured or rental, this is how I travel...
Sleep well, ride safe.
See, there you go spoiling the whole thread with common sense :P
Insurance is something worthy of investigation, for sure.
 
Securing insurance is not really a big issue. I can provide some guidance in this regard once there's an actual scenario.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Securing insurance is not really a big issue. I can provide some guidance in this regard once there's an actual scenario.
Ah, an expert! So...
If I loan my bike to a friend and he crashes it, is the bike covered? Is the friend covered? Will I be liable for any expenses in the case of a lawsuit or something? Will my rate skyrocket? Or does his auto insurance kick in?
And, can a friend buy his own insurance on my bike?
Inquiring minds want to know.
 
The bike is covered, the friend is covered, and damages to another party are covered, to the extent of your insurance coverage. However, as owner of the vehicle, this won't preclude the other party (or your friend) from coming after you with a lawsuit. I learned this when I was considering loaning my CB to Stichill last year, when Ferret and Offroad were out here.
 
Back
Top