Ride across the USA

Django

Road warrior
Thread starter
The Idea

Well, next year (2019) I become 60 years old, time to check off an item
from my bucket list: Ride across the USA. So I worked hard talking to my
wife, my employer and my dog and yes indeed, I've got the permission to
block 6 weeks next year from April 27 to June 8 to make that trip.

The Route

First thought came to my mind: Start northeast and go southwest, like
the pioneers did. That's the way to go, when you come from Europe. But
then, second thought: Hm, it may be cold and nasty in the NE when you
start at the end of April and hot and nasty when you arrive at the
beginning of June in the SW.

So I am thinking more or less about: Start in San Francisco or LA, then
ride somehow California, Arizona/Nevada/Utah/Colorado,
Arkansas/Missouri/Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia and depart home from
Washington,DC.

I'm not really decided yet. I have to visit the list of the most famous
motorcycle tours, ride reports and maps, to get a better idea of the
route. Also, it would be great, if I could visit the western and/or
eastern CB1100 rally 2019. Or may be, I visit just the forum member's
map and ask those riders for local riding hints.

Anyway I would like to really ride the country, thus avoiding motorway,
just taking small roads and enjoy landscape, impressions, nature.

The Ride

How to ride across the USA? Indeed, I need a motorcycle.

First idea: send my own bike to the USA and back home. Well, some
research gave me numbers of about 3,500 - 4,000 Euro cost, plus lot of
effort to get that managed (bureaucracy). Sigh. Somehow I really would
like to put those miles on my own ride, but that may be too expensive
and cumbersome.

Second idea: rent a bike for 6 weeks. I once rented a ride in San Diego,
that was about 60 USD a day, if I recall right. Would be quite expensive for 6
weeks.

Third idea: Buy a CB1100 at start and sell it at the end. That sounds
indeed like the way to do it. But then, how to buy, how to get a license,
how to get an insurance...

Well, I'm still not settled about how to get a ride.

Yeah, I wanted to let you know in advance about my plans. I really would enjoy, if I could meet some of you guys and we may ride some miles together.

May be, I could use this thread as a planning thread and get some hints and ideas from my
friends here at this really awesome forum. There is still some time to go and a winter between
now and the planned start of the ride. But, time goes by...

Looking forward!
 
Don't miss the Northeast, particularly upstate NY, VT. As for the bike, all good options, do what is the least hassle, so you can enjoy the ride and not think about it. Buying, insuring, and selling a bike is doable but might entail difficulties. A long term rental from Eagle Rider might be more expensive, but they have franchises all across the country and probably will provide peace of mind. I'm sure others will weigh in, but no doubt you'll have a lot of friends over here to aid your trip!
 
That's awesome Django. I think buying and selling may indeed be the cheapest way to go. Pick up a 2014 CB for 6K new or less used, and then sell it at the end of the trip for 25% less since you will only put about 3,000-4,000 miles on it. Be nice if 2 members of the board could assist with that, one on each coast. Lots of Europeans come over and rent bikes so licensing and insurance can't be THAT big of a deal.

Personally I would plan my route by the landmark/roads you want to see/ride. Remember the Rockies run through the western states and high mountain passes may not be open until late May/early June. Some things are must see/rides ....Yosemite/ redwood forests/Pacific Coast Highway in California, Beartooth Pass in Montana (although that is sorta like riding in your Alps) .Glacier Natl Park Montana, Rt 12 across Montana, Wyoming, Bryce/Zion/ Canyonlands/Grand Canyon National Parks in Utah and Arizona, Passes and Pikes Peak near Denver, Colorado (hint stay with LongRanger and let him be your guide), Devils Tower/Mt Rushmore in South Dakota, Rocky Mts/Blue Ridge Parkway in Tennessee/North Carolina (be glad to join you for this part of the trip), Natchez Trace from Tennessee to Mississippi, Rt 1 and the Everglades in Florida, the UP of Michigan, Kancamagus Highway/ White Mountains/ Mt Washington in New Hampshire, Adirondack Mts in New York. Those are some of my favorites I've ridden in/to.

I'm sure others can add to the list.

Excited for you Django! Bucket list trip indeed.
 
Django, aren't you friends with Alex who rode his BMW GS 800 all across the western US last year. He shipped his bike to California and then shipped it back home to Deutschland. Might want to have a discussion with him about some of the finer details related to that process. If you're not friends PM me and I'll send his e-mail. I'm sure he can answer any questions you may have. He lives somewhere around Bayern.
 
If you decide to come thru North Carolina you are very welcome to stay with us , we are living just a few miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway south of Asheville.
 
+1 for Zion in Utah and then down to Grand Canyon in Arizona--if you're going West to East. It will be decent weather (hotter toward June) no matter which way you go. If you're going to Grand Canyon, the North rim is only about 120 miles from Zion. Also, the north rim is far less crowded than the south rim. If you come through Utah, let me know. I'd like to ride with you for at least part of the way!

Yellowstone is amazing, but last time I was through, the traffic was so bad that I think it would not be a very fun trip on a motorcycle. Lots of stop-and-go and slow, slow, slow.

Get an international driving permit before you leave Germany. I agree with Ferret: The least expensive way for your trip might be buy-sell. There are probably forum members who can help with that.
 
Yellowstone on the ends..April/May and September when kids are in school is usually not that crowded. I have ridden thru Yellowstone maybe 5 times. Never stopped except for Bull elk and Buffalo crossing the road. Oh and to eat lunch in the lodge by Old Faithful.
 
Congratulations, Django. What a great plan. I'll look forward to hearing how it unfolds. I wish ...
 
You're welcome to visit / stay over here in the Portland, Oregon area should you make it up this way.

Another vote for buying a new leftover '14 or a used one. Some used ones have the bike setup for hiway travel.
 
What a fantastic life experience that will be, Django!

On the eastern side of the tour, I'd recommend spending time riding along and across the Appalachian Mountains. Not only are the roads fantastic, the scenery is great, there is sparse population, and the roads are generally free of traffic.

0e0dc5153dcaeab23494fa6b9dcf8ae3.jpg


If you come through Northern Kentucky, you've got a place to stay with us. But perhaps you're more likely to come through Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, North Carolina and so on heading northeast along the Appalachian Range.
 
Sounds like fun Django. I agree that you don't want to miss the northeast. A lot of roads up here are quite literally old horsecart paths that generally follow creeks making for enjoyable riding. If you get around the Philly area you're welcome to stay with us.
 
Stichill_imp said:
What a fantastic life experience that will be, Django!

On the eastern side of the tour, I'd recommend spending time riding along and across the Appalachian Mountains. Not only are the roads fantastic, the scenery is great, there is sparse population, and the roads are generally free of traffic.

0e0dc5153dcaeab23494fa6b9dcf8ae3.jpg


If you come through Northern Kentucky, you've got a place to stay with us. But perhaps you're more likely to come through Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, North Carolina and so on heading northeast along the Appalachian Range.
Django, I live very close to the northeast point on Stichill’s map. 10 miles where the New York State boundary meets at a point with New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
If you choose to do a Northeast tour, I can provide you a place to stay.
So many beautiful areas to tour in the US.
 
I have personally rode through many small towns in western North Carolina and recommend the following to stop and visit with the friendly locals: Sylva, NC; Blowing Rock, NC and Asheville, NC (not a small town, but should visit if you’re riding through). Tennessee, North Carolina and Western Virginia are fantastic.

All that being said, the West is also breathtaking. Making it through Colorado would be much better in my opinion then staying south in Texas. I’ve driven through Texas en route to California and it was long, flat and hot.

America is huge and 6 weeks isn’t nearly enough time to see if all, but I wouldn’t miss the Appalachian areas we are all recommending. You are going to run through so many different landscapes.

If you need and recommendations on motels or lodging in western North Carolina, feel free to message me.
 
Yep. Rockies in the west and Appalachians in the east. In between--meh. Although tornado chasing on a motorcycle through Oklahoma might be an adventure...
 
From what I understand, April into May is the best time to visit Death Valley. As DV is on my own bucket list, I would recommend riding through there, perhaps after a ride north along the Pacific Coast. Colorado is wonderful and you a ride through the Rockies should be on your list.. However, I believe you could run into snow in the mountains in May (Colorado peeps should correct me if needed). I think I'd then dip back south out of Colorado and hit northwest Arkansas. Maybe head southeast from there to Mississippi and ride part of Natchez Trace Parkway or northeast and explore historic Route 66 (which could land you in Chicago if you followed it long enough). Frankly, though, I think I'd stay on a south/southeast route to the Smoky Mountains and head northeast from there.

I love The Ferret's idea of using landmarks/points of interest like our national parks as sort of way points for your route. I also agree with riggies that 6 weeks won't be enough to see everything, so plan a route that lets you really absorb and appreciate the sights that you do see. And, if Chicago is along your route, make sure to let me know.

Good luck.
 
March and April are too snowy in the Colorado mountains to assume safe motorcycle travel. The high passes don't open until late May / early June, and sometimes not until July. This photo was taken in Rocky Mountain National Park in June a few years ago -- the first weekend the road was open. It snows in the mountains every month of the year but July and August are the best bet for good conditions. After mid-September, all bets are off until the following May.

497efcfb3bb9a037bcf3a535a5d96265.jpg
 
Thread starter
Thank you very much for your warm welcome and support so far. I really appreciate the kindness of you gentlemen living in this forum!

My idea is, to put pieces together and draw up a map to collect points of interest and routes to ride. Got some hints from you already.

I talked to my friend Alex here in Germany recently and got some more ideas of shipping my ride to the USA. It would be more than 3,000 Euro. Buying a CB1100 is still an option.

If someone would like to accompany myself for some miles, I would really appreciate. This ride is not only about sightseeing, but also to meet people and make friends.

However currently I've not that much time to spend in planning that trip. Currently I'm soaked up to plan this year's ride, approx. 3,500 km round trip to the Balkan peninsula. This starts next Saturday, I will open up an extra thread for that.

End of summer the real planning starts to ride across the USA.
 
It has been my dream for well over a decade to 'wild hog' and ride across the country.

Problem is- I don't have anyone else who wants to go.

I keep telling myself that I will just go do it, but I also need to keep working to pay the bills. Maybe someday...
 
My wife and I had a trip in '08 across the US for 24 days (14,000km), from our home in Ontario to Las Vegas, east to Memphis, north to Maine and New Brunswick and finally west to home again.

Our travel was 90% by interstate as there was a lot of specific points I wanted to see and back road travel would have taken too long. If I had 6 months then back roads would be my preference.

We made hotel reservations in Vegas but other than that we "Wild Hog"ged it and camped wherever with no real plan.

One spot that I haven't seen mentioned that was absolutely amazing to me was the Petrified Forrest National Park and the Painted Desert. We spent a whole day there, mind boggling.

I'm not sure I would ever take a trip that long with anyone other than my wife.
 
Django , there is free lodging in Asheville NC at my house and I also have a free ticket for you if you want to visit the Biltmore Estate.
I worked at Biltmore and still have many friends there.
 
Back
Top