Revised valve clearance check interval

ohiorider_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I read in a post on this forum that the valve clearance check interval had been increased from 8000 to 12000 miles. Nice!

Question: Did Honda make changes to the valves, cams, lifters, etc, to allow for the increase, or are these components the same as used on the older CB1100s?

In other words, did Honda revise their service specs for the older CBs as well?

Bob
 
ohiorider_imp said:
I read in a post on this forum that the valve clearance check interval had been increased from 8000 to 12000 miles. Nice!

Question: Did Honda make changes to the valves, cams, lifters, etc, to allow for the increase, or are these components the same as used on the older CB1100s?

In other words, did Honda revise their service specs for the older CBs as well?

Bob
Is that the case? In my user's manual, it says 8000 miles / 12000km. And it is a '17 model from last november.
 
jtopiso_imp said:
ohiorider_imp said:
I read in a post on this forum that the valve clearance check interval had been increased from 8000 to 12000 miles. Nice!

Question: Did Honda make changes to the valves, cams, lifters, etc, to allow for the increase, or are these components the same as used on the older CB1100s?

In other words, did Honda revise their service specs for the older CBs as well?

Bob
Is that the case? In my user's manual, it says 8000 miles / 12000km. And it is a '17 model from last november.
Is that the case? Then if it is I'm going to say it's highly likely the same internals. :P
EDIT: Just a joke folks, I don't know the actual answer to the question. (I'm now considering this previous sentence as my tagline.)
 
2f691a524f0233f9df1cb78a3a6bee2a.jpg


c7be015f4e818a3219f4eb9561d51da7.jpg
 
Thread starter
Sorry! I cannot find any reference to the 12000 mile valve check interval. I may have found it on another forum. Disregard this post . If I do find where I read this, I'll update this post.

Bob

EDIT: Looking at VLJ's post for the 2017. It shows 12k intervals. Maybe a misprint on Honda's part? VLJ, your opinion?
 
Well, the owner's manual for the 2017 EX I bought this Monday shows the 12K mile interval for valve clearance check, just like VLJ's . . .
 
ohiorider, since the maintenance schedule I posted there also shows 24K miles for the second valve-clearance inspection, I'd say the 12K interval is not a misprint. For whatever reason, Honda bumped up the interval for the 2017 EX, and I'm guessing for the RS, as well.
 
As speculated in another post it could be a bit of "salesmanship". If one were comparing bikes to purchase it can come down to some minute details. Longer periods between inspections could tip the scales. Especially for those (read Ferret) that put on some serious miles.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for confirming that I wasn't dreaming!:D

Back to my original question ...... did Honda revise their service specs for the older CBs as well? I don't know whether they've improved the valve train in the 2017 models, or simply decided it was safe to stretch the interval.

Bob
 
I don't know whether they revised the earlier bikes' interval, but it would serve no good purpose for Honda to do so . . . after all, those bikes are already purchased (well, most of them) and an 8K interval puts more money in the pockets of their service departments. And they can tell owners of the earlier bikes "Hey, you could move up to a 2017/2018 and have less in the way of maintenance costs."

I strongly suspect that if a Honda tech would be willing to talk truthfully with you, he'd wave his hand and say "don't worry about it; they are the same engines and hold valve clearances very well".
 
The camshaft is the same for 2013, 2014 and 2017
14110-MGC-000
https://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/partsearch/honda

Here are the 2017 (14731-MFL-D21) lifters: Camshaft for Honda CB 1100 EX ABS 2017 - Honda

And the 2013-2014 (14731-MFL-D20) lifters: https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2014-honda-cb1100-camshaft-valve/o/m155474sch847999

If all the parts are the same, Honda has simply revised the recommended interval...either for competition and/or due to few adjustments actually needed at 8,000 miles.

OTOH the difference between the 2017 -D21 and the 2013-2014 -D20 may be hardness.
 
cookiemech_imp said:
Well, the owner's manual for the 2017 EX I bought this Monday shows the 12K mile interval for valve clearance check, just like VLJ's . . .
The Owner's Manuals (English and French) for my EX that I bought in mid-May also shows 12000 Miles/19.2 Kilometers.
 
When did the CB1100 first appear in markets outside the U.S, in 2010? Maybe the 8k check was cautious and perhaps they have sufficient proof after 6 years to confidently raise it to 12k miles because they found that very few bikes needed adjustments at 8k.
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
The camshaft is the same for 2013, 2014 and 2017
14110-MGC-000
https://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/partsearch/honda

Here are the 2017 (14731-MFL-D21) lifters: Camshaft for Honda CB 1100 EX ABS 2017 - Honda

And the 2013-2014 (14731-MFL-D20) lifters: https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2014-honda-cb1100-camshaft-valve/o/m155474sch847999

If all the parts are the same, Honda has simply revised the recommended interval...either for competition and/or due to few adjustments actually needed at 8,000 miles.

OTOH the difference between the 2017 -D21 and the 2013-2014 -D20 may be hardness.
So the '17 motor isn't identical to the previous motors! Haaa!

:excited::excited::excited:

a0dfef61bb815ba4d80317ec4aa5079e.jpg
 
2010 for Japan, Australia and I think New Zealand. 2013 for the rest of the world if I'm remembering my CB history correctly.

Have to go to the history section of the forum and re-read.

CB 1100 A little History
 
I'm sure I took my bike in at 8k for a service, expecting a big one with a valve clearance check, and the guy at the shop telling me it wasn't due till 12k or even 16... can't remember. '14 EX

I'm sure I checked the manual before I booked it, but assumed either I had it wrong or it had been updated.

I didn't complain or check as it was what I wanted to hear ;-) Maybe I'll give them a call to clear it up. I'm around 14k and I'll do it myself, now it's out of warranty, in the Spring tidy up....
 
VLJ_imp said:
That's good news!

I'd assume it's the same engine, same parts. But Honda, based on experience, has decided to extend the interval.

I mean: when the model is new, they are conservative. One they have statistical data that proves the 8000 miles adjustment unnecesary, they extend it a bit (a 50% bit!) to 12000.

I'll check with my dealer. My user's manual says 8000... :-/
 
Back
Top