Revised list

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Awhile back, like a year ago I had posted a list of the favorite bikes that I had owned

From that thread:

As far as street bikes go, I have had 6 Harleys, 9 Hondas (now 10) 3 Suzukis, 1 Kawasaki, 7 Yamahas, 1 Triumph and 1 BSA ( plus a bunch of dirt bikes...mostly Yamahas)

There are several that stand out in my mind:

#1 77 KZ 1000 B Kawasaki (probably my all time favorite, big, powerful, smooth, beautifully proportioned, ...and much like the CB 1100)
# 2. 04 and 01 FZ-1 Yamahas (like the bike so much I bought 2 of them..awesome power, brakes and handling, big tank, 6 speed, great solo sport tourer with soft luggage and a tank bag)
# 3. 81 GS 850 G Suzuki (nice mid size shafty, very comfortable and large fuel capacity)
# 4 83 GS 1100 E Suzuki ( brute of a motorcycle for its time)
# 5 76 GT 750 Suzuki ( really nice tourer with a Windjammer 3 Fairing, Bates trunk and Eclipse tank bag...and I loved that 2 stroke 3 cylinder burble at idle and wail while

Honorable mentions:

06 Honda ST 1300 ( Simply awesome for long distance travel, but a pia around town where its weight and bulk become a liability)

2000 Honda 750 Nighthawk ( great very low maintenance all arounder with hydraulic valves. Easy to work on when you had to, no epa crap. On the downside it was small, and lacked power and brakes ... Things the CB 11 address)

Well, It's time to revise the list

At number 1.... I am going to place the 2014 Honda CB 1100 DLX and the 13 CB 1100 std. Between the 13 I owned and the 14, they have proven to be comfortable, reliable, handle well, and have awesome brakes. Quiet, oil free, and get great gas mileage. Plus the 14 Dlx ticks all my looks boxes.They are outstanding motorcycles, everything I look for in a motorcycle.

At number 2 I am still placing the 77 KZ 1000 B. Virtually identical in nearly every way to the CB's, especially the DLX. It was my favorite until the CB 1100 came along. Took 37 years, but it was finally knocked off the top of the podium.

At number 3 I am moving up the ST 1300 ( previously it was an honorable mention) No matter which direction in this country or how far, the ST goes about it's business with zero fuss. It's big and it's heavy but dang, point it to California, or Maine or North Carolina, or Washington state, throw all your junk it its bags and fairing, take a passenger ( it doesn't care) and the 1300 cc v4 shaft driven bike says " no problemo". The electric windshield is ingenious. What a great touring bike.

At # 4 are going to be the 01 and 04 Yamaha FZ-1 s. Comfortable, great handling, great braking, 125 HP rockets which make great solo sport tourers. I loved both of mine.

# 5 is going to be the Suzuki GS 850G. An under rated sport tourer with mags, triple discs, shaft drive and a 5.8 gallon gas tank. Great seat, classic inline 4 with 4 into 2 exhausts. Mine was root beer brown. Even loved the unusual color. Suzuki should bring this back.


Congrats Honda, you are the new # 1 for me. That's quite an accomplishment, and well deserved IMO.
 
yes, this bike is the best bike I've have, it saves my motorcycling. It has all the right elements, even the candy red is darn sexy. Yesterday, my dealer gives me a quote of $12,5K for the '14 DLX. I think I will make a move later this year.
 
The best bikes i have ever owned are Honda, they top my list in this order.

1999 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
2008 Honda ST1300 ( should not have sold it )
2010 Honda CBR1000RR
2013 Honda CB1100

Honda by far has the best FI

My 1982 Suzuki GS1100 also makes this list

I have owned several bikes from all the metrics, by far Honda is the best of the bunch, although Kawasaki may have a closer ratio and better gearbox.
 
Thread starter
from everything I've read from owners, the Blackbird is an awesome motorcycle.
 
The ferret_imp said:
from everything I've read from owners, the Blackbird is an awesome motorcycle.
Indeed it is Mickey. I had an '02 FI model. Its still the only previously-owned motorcycle that I still lust after. I hope to own another one someday, but a new left knee will have to come first! :D
You have owned an impressive array of bikes. WOW!
 
Thread starter
Well, that list covers nearly half a century (49 years to be exact). Bought my first new street bike in 1965.

Motorcycles have just gotten so good. Riders in the last 30 years have no idea what we had to put up with prior to mag wheels, tubeless tires, electronic ignitions, disc brakes, engine counter balncers, fuel injection, etc etc lol
 
The ferret_imp said:
Well, that list covers nearly half a century (49 years to be exact). Bought my first new street bike in 1965.

Motorcycles have just gotten so good. Riders in the last 30 years have no idea what we had to put up with prior to mag wheels, tubeless tires, electronic ignitions, disc brakes, engine counter balncers, fuel injection, etc etc lol

Tell me about it. My first bike was a 1975 CB500T and it was running on one cylinder most of the time...and it had charging issues.

It was a learning experience for sure.
 
I agree with ferret. I have had many many bikes over the years. Lots of them was very good and nice bikes. But the 14 deluxe can't be beat! It's the type of bike that's easy to move around, ride anywhere to the store or across the states! I love mine more each time I ride it. And the looks keep getting better! It's a fine bike. Honda hit the home run on this bike for sure! Any guys or gals our age that rode the 750 etc can't help but love the cb1100
 
I have to agree with you on the FZ-1; it may well be my all-time favourite all-around bike. Mine had 153hp at the wheel, and was one of - if not THE - most incredible, comfortable, sweet handling bikes I've owned.
In fact, it was the thought of looking for one bike to replace both the vintage/cool feel of my '12 Triumph Bonneville, and the 4 cylinder awesomeness of my '05 FZ-1 that brought me to the CB1100. I'm still kicking myself for selling the pristine FZ, and I haven't quite gotten myself to the point of letting go of the Bonnie.
 
Papa Weeley_imp said:
I have to agree with you on the FZ-1; it may well be my all-time favourite all-around bike. Mine had 153hp at the wheel, and was one of - if not THE - most incredible, comfortable, sweet handling bikes I've owned.
In fact, it was the thought of looking for one bike to replace both the vintage/cool feel of my '12 Triumph Bonneville, and the 4 cylinder awesomeness of my '05 FZ-1 that brought me to the CB1100. I'm still kicking myself for selling the pristine FZ, and I haven't quite gotten myself to the point of letting go of the Bonnie.
yes, it is a nice bike, I almost bought one back in 2002. I mull instead of trading to '14, why have another FZ1 for cheap for less money? The black and yellow color scheme is nice, I prefer steel frame, not the current alu.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-FZ-2...d&item=331241723181&pt=US_motorcycles
 
Thread starter
cbdtran_imp said:
Papa Weeley_imp said:
I have to agree with you on the FZ-1; it may well be my all-time favourite all-around bike. Mine had 153hp at the wheel, and was one of - if not THE - most incredible, comfortable, sweet handling bikes I've owned.
In fact, it was the thought of looking for one bike to replace both the vintage/cool feel of my '12 Triumph Bonneville, and the 4 cylinder awesomeness of my '05 FZ-1 that brought me to the CB1100. I'm still kicking myself for selling the pristine FZ, and I haven't quite gotten myself to the point of letting go of the Bonnie.
yes, it is a nice bike, I almost bought one back in 2002. I mull instead of trading to '14, why have another FZ1 for cheap for less money? The black and yellow color scheme is nice, I prefer steel frame, not the current alu.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-FZ-2...d&item=331241723181&pt=US_motorcycles
yes, it is a nice bike, I almost bought one back in 2002. I mull instead of trading to '14, why have another FZ1 for cheap for less money? The black and yellow color scheme is nice, I prefer steel frame, not the current alu.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-FZ-2...d&item=331241723181&pt=US_motorcycles
The black and yellow is called a bee, the black and silver a skunk. Hard to believe you can buy that much motorcycle for so little money.
 
# 5 is going to be the Suzuki GS 850G. An under rated sport tourer with mags, triple discs, shaft drive and a 5.8 gallon gas tank. Great seat, classic inline 4 with 4 into 2 exhausts. Mine was root beer brown. Even loved the unusual color. Suzuki should bring this back.

I agree ferret,
I didn't have the G model though, mine was a 1982 GS850L model. Basically the same bike but mine was more of cruiser style, it was black & silver in color.
Great bike, great engine and never gave me any problems. The wife and I put lots of trouble free miles on it together. :biker:
 
The ferret_imp said:
cbdtran_imp said:
Papa Weeley_imp said:
I have to agree with you on the FZ-1; it may well be my all-time favourite all-around bike. Mine had 153hp at the wheel, and was one of - if not THE - most incredible, comfortable, sweet handling bikes I've owned.
In fact, it was the thought of looking for one bike to replace both the vintage/cool feel of my '12 Triumph Bonneville, and the 4 cylinder awesomeness of my '05 FZ-1 that brought me to the CB1100. I'm still kicking myself for selling the pristine FZ, and I haven't quite gotten myself to the point of letting go of the Bonnie.
yes, it is a nice bike, I almost bought one back in 2002. I mull instead of trading to '14, why have another FZ1 for cheap for less money? The black and yellow color scheme is nice, I prefer steel frame, not the current alu.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-FZ-2...d&item=331241723181&pt=US_motorcycles
yes, it is a nice bike, I almost bought one back in 2002. I mull instead of trading to '14, why have another FZ1 for cheap for less money? The black and yellow color scheme is nice, I prefer steel frame, not the current alu.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-FZ-2...d&item=331241723181&pt=US_motorcycles
The black and yellow is called a bee, the black and silver a skunk. Hard to believe you can buy that much motorcycle for so little money.
That ebay bike IS a beauty. I prefer the all silver first gen. version (mine was an '05), but they're all nice.


edit: Also just noticed that you've got an '83 GS1100e on your list - another fave of mine for years! I rode that comfortable monster 80 miles round trip into downtown L.A. for years, never even hiccuped.
To add to my previous comment, it was that 4 cylinder brute that got me buying the FZ1! How's that for a complete circle?!
[url=http://s157.photobucket.com/user/mustangfeverrr/media/GS1100E.jpg.html]
 
Thread starter
Papa Weeley_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
cbdtran_imp said:
Papa Weeley_imp said:
I have to agree with you on the FZ-1; it may well be my all-time favourite all-around bike. Mine had 153hp at the wheel, and was one of - if not THE - most incredible, comfortable, sweet handling bikes I've owned.
In fact, it was the thought of looking for one bike to replace both the vintage/cool feel of my '12 Triumph Bonneville, and the 4 cylinder awesomeness of my '05 FZ-1 that brought me to the CB1100. I'm still kicking myself for selling the pristine FZ, and I haven't quite gotten myself to the point of letting go of the Bonnie.
yes, it is a nice bike, I almost bought one back in 2002. I mull instead of trading to '14, why have another FZ1 for cheap for less money? The black and yellow color scheme is nice, I prefer steel frame, not the current alu.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-FZ-2...d&item=331241723181&pt=US_motorcycles
yes, it is a nice bike, I almost bought one back in 2002. I mull instead of trading to '14, why have another FZ1 for cheap for less money? The black and yellow color scheme is nice, I prefer steel frame, not the current alu.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-FZ-2...d&item=331241723181&pt=US_motorcycles
The black and yellow is called a bee, the black and silver a skunk. Hard to believe you can buy that much motorcycle for so little money.
That ebay bike IS a beauty. I prefer the all silver first gen. version (mine was an '05), but they're all nice.


edit: Also just noticed that you've got an '83 GS1100e on your list - another fave of mine for years! I rode that comfortable monster 80 miles round trip into downtown L.A. for years, never even hiccuped.
To add to my previous comment, it was that 4 cylinder brute that got me buying the FZ1! How's that for a complete circle?!
[url=http://s157.photobucket.com/user/mustangfeverrr/media/GS1100E.jpg.html]

Yep the GS 1100E was a brute. Not as subtle as some of the others .Bullet proof motor though.
 
Thread starter
Yes it was. Great motorcycle. The epitome of big bore I-4 liter bikes at the time. I put Lester Mags on mine so I could run tubeless tires. That made it even more like the CB1100 dlx. They are so similar in specs it is crazy.

I sold it to put a downpayment on a house. The things life forces us to do :rolleyes:
 
What a beauty, Mick! My roommate in college had one (when I was riding a lowly cafe-ed out Yamaha TX500 at that time), and it's been on my bucket list ever since...that and its little brother, a '78 KZ650 in that silvery blue with the mag wheels. :D
 
Back
Top