Review on Seth Laam Custom Seat

I have seen a fair number of people on here replacing the stock seat for comfort reasons. I suppose we are all made differently and have different tastes, but I find the stock seat on the EX/DLX simply excellent. Yesterday I did a 600km(380 mile) ride with a group of friends. We all had very different bikes, all with the stock seats. I had my EX, there was a GSXR750, a R1150R, a CB1000r and a VFR1200X.

Well the poor friend on the GSXR was quickly complaining about his butt hurting, and the others eventually chimed in. For me, I have never had such a comfortable seat on a bike! Not the slightest hint of pain, and I would happily get back on to return the 600km. There is no way I would change that standard seat, which I think looks fabulous as well.
 
Henrik, many of the complaints are about the stock seat on the 2010-2013 models. The EX and DLX got upgraded seats that look much more comfortable.
 
Indeed Cormanus, having tried also the 2013 that seat is not as comfortable. Then again, it might also be that I have gotten used to less comfortable seats over the years. I think the worst I had was on my Africa Twin, but even with that wooden plank I would do some seriously long rides.
 
An AirHawk cushion is a great alternative to an expensive new seat.
 
The seat photo I used was from Red1100, but I like the idea of using the Honda logo on the back. That is cool.
 
:banana:Have over 5000 miles on the Seth seat. The guy does an awesome job. Previous bikes had Corbin and Russell Day Long....the Seth seat works GREAT for the CB1100. I ride six hours plus each time out with a break for lunch through the twisty bits of Tennessee and the seat pocket gives you that extra bit of secure feeling needed when you are getting after it. Rode the stock seat for one week before deciding the upgrade to something that the bike should have had installed by Honda from the factory. Do not hesitate to let Seth know that you saw the posts on this site.....also his price is way better than other seat guys.
Mike Neal
 
It came, but. No strap attached; I was expecting that. And at first blush, the pocket feels like it's not far back enough. Need to test ride. Attached the MSR windscreen for testing too.
 
Thread starter
Call Seth and ask him to send you the strap. with no welt going across it will break up the seat.

Did you mask out your seating position and take a few pic sitting on the bike to get the perfect pocket??

Edit: Rboe, my seat came back with the strap bolted underneath the seat, do you check there?
 
I inspected the seat bottom when I received it, did not notice the strap. I send him a picture of one on of the seats produced for a fellow here (ron1100 or something like that) which clearly had the strap in place. He talked me out of the red stitching. We discussed butt position but I got the impression he wanted to do it one way without much input from me. I did not mark out the seating position, just told him my butt wants to be at the back end of the strap.

A very short test ride last night seems to indicate he made the pocket for a smaller bum than mine. I ain't big, but I do have a bum. :)

I plan on calling him this morning.
 
Longer test ride on Sunday and the seat feels much better. Odd. Now I'm keen on putting in a long hour ride. Say eight hours. :)
 
Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
Longer test ride on Sunday and the seat feels much better. Odd. Now I'm keen on putting in a long hour ride. Say eight hours. :)
Robe,

If the seat fits fore and aft and the reach to the bars feels right the wings will conform to your butt with seat time. When you first get the seat it feels like there's a bit of pressure on your thighs, that will diminish as you brake it in with time.

I was up at the dealer on Saturday, there was a used 13 outside. I sat on it and remember how uncomfortable and hard the seat felt with two pressure points as the only two contact areas.
 
That was one of my concerns; pressure points on my thighs. Did not feel them Sunday.

I fear I'll have a transition between the Russell Day Long on the Griso and the Laam too. Similar but very different seats.

The stock seat didn't feel all that bad, but grew tiresome on rides over an hour. Simply not enough support.
 
Back
Top