Review Michelin Road 3's

Thread starter
INTP_imp said:
I had my first ride on them tonight. So far I like them.
My first impression too. I felt a marked improvement right out of the box. A much more confident and planted tire.
 
Does it improve braking as well? The only thing that would stop me from swapping to them at this point would be if I have to replace them twice as often.
 
2000+ on my new Road Pilot 3s tires including a somewhat spirited ride through "two many turns" with Ferret and an up and back trip on Tail of the Dragon. Also, several hundred miles of interstate and some of that in rain.

Less (actually no) handlebar shake. Bike wants to turn in faster and seems to react quicker to steering input. Handled the rain almost as if it was dry. Overall, this tire does exactly what it is supposed to do...better handling in both wet and dry. I won't know for awhile how well they wear, but for now, I think I made the right choice moving to the Michelins.
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
2000+ on my new Road Pilot 3s tires including a somewhat spirited ride through "two many turns" with Ferret and an up and back trip on Tail of the Dragon. Also, several hundred miles of interstate and some of that in rain.

Less (actually no) handlebar shake. Bike wants to turn in faster and seems to react quicker to steering input. Handled the rain almost as if it was dry. Overall, this tire does exactly what it is supposed to do...better handling in both wet and dry. I won't know for awhile how well they wear, but for now, I think I made the right choice moving to the Michelins.
Glad you like them, they are a smoother straight line tire, with the benefit of softer rubber it tightens up the suspension in turns as well.
 
Took the jump and ordered a set today. A little concerned about the clearance between the right side centre stand foot and the rubber. I'm not sure what a safe clearance would be. I guess anything equal to or greater than what is there with the BT45s. The angle grinder will be on standby.

Cheers
 
I have run the Michelin Pilot Roads (2 and 3) on my bikes for many years now, love them.
Currently have PR3 on my ST1300 and V-Strom DL650.
On the HEAVY ST1300 I get around 6-7K miles out of a rear, and I change the front out too at that time.
On the LITE V-Strom DL650 I get 10K on a rear PR3 and 20K on the front, AMAZING mileage for a motorcycle tire.
The only bike in my current fleet that does not have PR3 is my 1979 BMW R100S; on that bike I run the Michelin Pilot Activ bias-ply tires because I can get them in the proper inch sizes, 3.25-19 front and 4.00-18 rear. These tires work great on the old school BMW with IKON suspension upgrades front and rear.
Can't wait to put a set of PR3 on my CB1100 Deluxe... well, I still have to take delivery of the bike before I can put tires on it ;-)
TINK
 
Pterodactyl, did you go with the same size as CIP? 160/60/18-R and 1110/80-F? I'll be really interested to hear what you think of them. Of course the other question will be how long you get out of them.

As aside, I just checked Michelin's Australian site which assures me it has no tyres suitable for the CB1100. Pfffffft!
 
Thread starter
Pterodactyl' pid='50162' dateline='1404460010 said:
Took the jump and ordered a set today. A little concerned about the clearance between the right side centre stand foot and the rubber. I'm not sure what a safe clearance would be. I guess anything equal to or greater than what is there with the BT45s. The angle grinder will be on standby.

Cheers
[/quote

I did not measure the clearance ( please do) with the stock tire. I have 1500 miles without a mark on the rubber. I assume its about .25 closer than stock. If your concerned rather than grind just put a pipe over the end and slowly bend it out, a 1/4 inch will bring it back to stock clearance. The stand angle bends inward a bit so bending will have no effect on function.
 
Will measure the stock clearance tomorrow morning and post. Thanks for the tip re bending the foot.

Looking forward to new rubber as the BT45s are shot and I want to go to a rally south of Canberra next weekend.

Cheers
 
Thread starter
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Took the jump and ordered a set today. A little concerned about the clearance between the right side centre stand foot and the rubber. I'm not sure what a safe clearance would be. I guess anything equal to or greater than what is there with the BT45s. The angle grinder will be on standby.

Cheers
I did not measure the clearance ( please do) with the stock tire. I have 1500 miles without a mark on the rubber. I assume its about .25 closer than stock. If your concerned rather than grind just put a pipe over the end and slowly bend it out, a 1/4 inch will bring it back to stock clearance. The stand angle bends inward a bit so bending will have no effect on function. Let me know how you make out and your thoughts.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Pterodactyl, did you go with the same size as CIP? 160/60/18-R and 1110/80-F? I'll be really interested to hear what you think of them. Of course the other question will be how long you get out of them.

As aside, I just checked Michelin's Australian site which assures me it has no tyres suitable for the CB1100. Pfffffft!
Sorry mate, missed your post. Yes, 160/60-18 R and 110/80-18 F. Most manufactures websites, here in OZ at least, don't quote anything specifically for the CB1100. It has slipped off their radar. The Michelins are expensive; $220 and $280. The supplier, MCAS, will not fit to the bike. Fitting free on the wheel and they remove the old rubber. The Michelins are promised for Tuesday so I will rip the wheels off on Monday.

Cheers
 
Well other than the Queen being on your money and some of the most deadly creatures in the world being in Oz, here is another reason you blokes suffer living there.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Elipten_imp said:
Well other than the Queen being on your money and some of the most deadly creatures in the world being in Oz, here is another reason you blokes suffer living there.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeh mate, it's tough living here. But someone's gotta do it. What we need is foreign aid. Please send USD in large denomination bills.

Cheers
 
Well you lads were living large until metal prices slipped a bit. I could not believe how expensive everything is in Perth when I was there in Nov 2012. Just melt down that giant gold coin in the Perth mint.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Elipten_imp said:
Well you lads were living large until metal prices slipped a bit. I could not believe how expensive everything is in Perth when I was there in Nov 2012. Just melt down that giant gold coin in the Perth mint.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeh I know. We are experts at the old "tourist prices" game. ;). Gotta pay for the Michies somehow.

Cheers
 
It is a beautiful city. Wish I moved there in 1990 when Western Mining offered me a job there, rather than lay me off. I could be a proper bloke by now. But I do love to eat Vegamite, wheatbix, and Tam Tams. Picked a few habits from being around Aussies.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Yeah, Elipten, avagoodweegend. :)
 
CIP57_imp said:
Pterodactyl' pid='50162' dateline='1404460010 said:
Took the jump and ordered a set today. A little concerned about the clearance between the right side centre stand foot and the rubber. I'm not sure what a safe clearance would be. I guess anything equal to or greater than what is there with the BT45s. The angle grinder will be on standby.

Cheers
[/quote

I did not measure the clearance ( please do) with the stock tire. I have 1500 miles without a mark on the rubber. I assume its about .25 closer than stock. If your concerned rather than grind just put a pipe over the end and slowly bend it out, a 1/4 inch will bring it back to stock clearance. The stand angle bends inward a bit so bending will have no effect on function.
G'day CIP57, have a little over 12mm (1/2in) clearance on stock 140 tyre. Will pull the wheels of tomorrow in the hope the supplier keeps his promise and the Michies arrive Tue/Wed.

Cheers
 
Back
Top