Review Michelin Road 3's

Contour is much more critical than width. Flatter tires slow down your steering, highly rounded one speed it up; makes the bike much more flickable. Discovered that going through tires on my Quota. With the right tires a buddy on a GXR600 thought my riding was "spirited" - the Quota has a 21" front tire. :)
I also see the difference between my Griso and the CB1100, similar sized bikes and weight. The CB is much lighter on her feet, more flickable and a delight in the tight twisty bits.
 
Just a quick comment about the true definition of aspect ratio. It is simply the height of the tire as a percentage of the width in millimeters. For example the 140/70X18 tire on the CB1100 is 140MM wide and 98MM (0.70 X 140) high.

If you switch to a 160/60 tire, the height is 96MM (0.6 X 160). Just a smidge smaller in diameter than the stock tire.

I have worn out many sets of tires on both sport and touring bikes. My personal favorites are Michelin Pilot Power 3's for sport bikes and Pilot Road 2's for sport tourers. Unfortunately, neither are made in sizes to fit the CB1100.

Michelin does not make tires for my Gold Wing and I have tried both Bridgestones and Dunlops - a toss-up.

I would be very reluctant to put bias ply tires on the CB1100 as some of you suggest.
 
lola_imp said:
To Bad Bridgestone is withdrawing from Motogp in 2016 and michelin is taking over. Motgp riders are having mix thoughts about the change though.
Would love to see Dunlop back. Actually I would love to see it go back to a non-spec tire.
thessler3_imp said:
Just a quick comment about the true definition of aspect ratio. It is simply the height of the tire as a percentage of the width in millimeters. For example the 140/70X18 tire on the CB1100 is 140MM wide and 98MM (0.70 X 140) high.

If you switch to a 160/60 tire, the height is 96MM (0.6 X 160). Just a smidge smaller in diameter than the stock tire.

I have worn out many sets of tires on both sport and touring bikes. My personal favorites are Michelin Pilot Power 3's for sport bikes and Pilot Road 2's for sport tourers. Unfortunately, neither are made in sizes to fit the CB1100.

Michelin does not make tires for my Gold Wing and I have tried both Bridgestones and Dunlops - a toss-up.

I would be very reluctant to put bias ply tires on the CB1100 as some of you suggest.
Don't be. I'm using the BT45s and as I have stated my experience in other threads, I can affirm they are excellent tires. We used these tires on bikes far more capable than the CB1100 back in the day and they are much, much better now, with dual compounds and more advanced construction and formulation.

I just returned from an overnight trip and rode the most difficult paved roads in this part of the state, bumpy, narrow, 15 mph switchbacks to 90 mph sweepers, hundreds of miles of this stuff.

I was very impressed with grip and handling.

Running 32 psi front, 36 psi rear but will go down to 35 rear as the temperature increase is not sufficient.

However the radials do seem to ride a little smoother.
 
Now that 160s appear to be acceptable, anyone give any thought to trying the Dunlop Roadsmart II's? I'm pretty sure they can be had in the same sizes as the Pilot Road combo.
 
Thread starter
Jim21680_imp said:
Now that 160s appear to be acceptable, anyone give any thought to trying the Dunlop Roadsmart II's? I'm pretty sure they can be had in the same sizes as the Pilot Road combo.
Tire has very good reviews on bikes of similar weight. I don't think you can go wrong with a set of these. Try them out and give us a report:thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
Fuel mileage with the new tires is above my normal range. I averaged 54 mpg with my last tank. Usually average 48-52 back roads and highway. The slightly lower profile i though may decrease mileage but that's not the case.

 
With the BT45 150/70, the pressure increased to a little more than I was looking for on the rear tire; it went up to 38.5 psi, running 34 psi. So 36 is the minimum for me as it will give a margin for error. Don't want any more than about a 10% increase in pressure, cold to hot. Would not run lower than that for anyone if you are doing freeway.
 
CIP57_imp said:
Fuel mileage with the new tires is above my normal range. I averaged 54 mpg with my last tank. Usually average 48-52 back roads and highway. The slightly lower profile i though may decrease mileage but that's not the case.



The smaller overall height of the tire will make it look like you're getting BETTER gas mileage as more miles will be recorded for each gallon of gas used because the wheel is turning more revolutions per mile than before.

I wonder how many miles you can expect out of the life of the tire with the softer compound.
 
OK, these thing better work good, CIP57. I just ordered a set of the RP3s and they will be installed at my 8000 mile service next week. 8500 miles had my original front (Bridgestone) down the the wear bars. Rear was still OK, but I decided to switch out both. I have a couple of longish rides coming up, so I'll let you know my thought on them after that.
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
OK, these thing better work good, CIP57. I just ordered a set of the RP3s and they will be installed at my 8000 mile service next week. 8500 miles had my original front (Bridgestone) down the the wear bars. Rear was still OK, but I decided to switch out both. I have a couple of longish rides coming up, so I'll let you know my thought on them after that.
ES,
Your going to like them. I went for a 150 mi. ride today which included the Merritt Parkway in Ct which has a lot of sweeper and is nicely paved. Couldn't be happier with the tires.
 
I have these on my VFR - they still look brand new after 8k miles. No kidding Thurs at bike night someone asked my if it was brand new. Best tires I've ever run by a long shot.

I actually have a brand new front for sale in the classified section - my bro-in-law got it for his bike but he got the wrong size, it fits our front. Of course I just bought new tires on 6-4 so I don't have a need for 'em.
 
Dam it! I do not have these PR3 tires available locally(Singapore) for 18" rims...

$%!*.... And it's gonna cost more to import it in myself...

However, I found Bridgestone's T30 at 110/80-18 & 160/60-18...
Wonder if the ride feel would be similar on wet and dry days... Hmmm... The T30s are supposed to be the new replacement for BT023 Sport-Touring tires...
 
The new RP3s are now on my bike. Very noticeable handling even on the short ride home, but that could just e because he old front had almost no tread left. I'll know more tomorrow...dinner ride of about 200 miles...and by next week...1500+ miles tentatively planned Thurs-Sun. They look cool, though. :)
 
Thread starter
INTP_imp said:
I just ordered a set. How does everyone else like theirs?
Hey Kevin,

I have put 1200 miles on the tires. They are great straight line tires and very stable at speed. The handle very nice with a better grip especially over those tar strips which use to scare the crap out of me. Overall a better tire for the bike.

Matt I'm sure will have a report when he gets back from his trip.
 
Back
Top