Retro reviews

postoak_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I'm going to post a review video of each of the retro bikes on my list.

First up, the BMW R nineT original and Pure

Shaft drive, dry clutch, single shock


 
postoak_imp said:
I'm going to post a review video of each of the retro bikes on my list.

First up, the BMW R nineT original and Pure

Shaft drive, dry clutch, single shock


You had me at shaft drive.

You can simply show me the shaft drive. :)
 
Thread starter
Well, the BMW has the shaft drive you were thinking about. The Kawasaki is chain drive, I think. I have had two shaft driven bikes and wouldn't want to go back to chain drive but it seems hard to avoid on a retro.
 
postoak_imp said:
Well, the BMW has the shaft drive you were thinking about. The Kawasaki is chain drive, I think. I have had two shaft driven bikes and wouldn't want to go back to chain drive but it seems hard to avoid on a retro.
I somewhat agree.

Mainstream Japanese shaft bikes reined during the late 70's and early 80's. Shaft drive also adds weight, cost and some performance drag on the bike. I suspect manufacturers wish to keep costs down. Arguably, would a retro version of an 80's shaft Japanese bike be really retro? Some might argue for it.
 
Thread starter
The '80s was the power-ranger-look stage. It just doesn't have any appeal to me. I do find the BMW appealing in appearance but there's not much retro there. The W800 may be the most retro looking of the lot.

Kawasaki RS900
This one goes off the rails I think with, single shock, slightly raised tail (blowing the flat seat which is useful for sliding back or forth on to fit your size and build), too-fat rear tire, extremely large and obvious radiator, and "too much" engine. This is going to be a problem on a lot of them. It's not as much fun to ride these over-powerful bikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URCzkGH15vM&t=907s
Moto Guzzi V7 III

Shaft drive, dry clutch, no tach (which seems like a big deal), and surprisingly jerky.

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmo682jiddw&t=339s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmo682jiddw&t=339s
 
Thread starter
Moto Guzzi V9

Same comments as for the V7. Some will say these aren't retros since MG has made something along these lines continuously since the 1960s. But whatever.

 
Personally, to me most Guzzis are retro/clasic type, -1n, just in case if somebody is of a different opinion or wants to dispute.
:)
 
postoak_imp said:
Moto Guzzi V9

Same comments as for the V7. Some will say these aren't retros since MG has made something along these lines continuously since the 1960s. But whatever.

I really like many of the Guzzis, and the V9 may be the most "classic" looking of them all. It is a modern classic, but I probably would not call it "retro".

It is like calling a modern day Triumph Bonneville "retro". I would just call it a modern classic.
 
Thread starter
Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Fit and finish and quality control issues. Low MSRP but I don't buy new bikes anyway. Rider same height as me mentions his legs being too bent. But one that certainly has the look.

 
postoak_imp said:
Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Fit and finish and quality control issues. Low MSRP but I don't buy new bikes anyway. Rider same height as me mentions his legs being too bent. But one that certainly has the look.

The URL appears to be a "2016 Moto Guzzi V7 | Owners Review". <<<------ A critical June 2019 review nonetheless!
 
Thread starter
Oops, can't change it now.

Here's the Royal Enfield test ride. The rider seems pretty impressed with it.


And here's Stuart Fillingham with his Hull accent (turn on closed captioning!) giving his impression (of course he went on to buy one).

Here's the Suzuki TU250x

A straight forward, honest bike, the only question is, is it big enough for a taller rider. No tach.

One year review:

 
I recognize the RE flicks, and the second one is especially crisp.

But the TU250 ... yeah, forgot about that retro candidate. Would love trying one of those for fun.
 
This reviewer like it so much he bought it!

I've had a couple Guzzi's, shaft drive is a wee bit over rated and chain drive is seriously under rated.
 
Thread starter
Old Triumph 865 funny review:


The Triumph Bonneville T100.




I really think I'd like the T100 but it seems too small for a tall rider.
 
What a wonderful bunch of motorcycles! It would be fun to have a fleet...I don't think I'd kick any of these here out of the herd.
 
Thread starter
Triumph T120. This is a bike that fits a tall rider and I came very close to buying one, but I thought the sitting position was a bit too upright for my back. Also the brakes were the worst I've experienced on a motorcycle that wasn't a Harley.


This guys starts with the T100 and then switches to the T120. He seems to prefer the T100.

Never quite understood the Street Twin. This guy explains. He also mentions the mediocre brakes.

I don't think the Speed Twin belongs on the list after watching some videos. It is described as a Thruxton with more comfortable seating position and less leg bend. It also has bar end mirrors. Seems like a nice bike though.

 
Thread starter
Yamaha SR400 Single Cylinder and a straight-out UJM. Kick start only.


XSR700 and XSR900 - these don't look retro after viewing all these other videos. And the radiator is glaringly obtrusive. Single shock.


I am thinking that one other qualification to be retro is to have engine fins -- whether they are functional or not, because the XSRs don't look good to me.
 
Back
Top