Retro Helmets

Thanks for starting this thread, Ferret. I hope others post links for their favorite retro-styled helmets. In my case, I wish Biltwell would get ECE or Snell approval for the Gringo helmet or that Divida copied the Gringo. I want the jaw protection of the full-helmet with the crash-worthiness of ECE/Snell ratings. Let's see what this esteemed group of forum members can come up with.
 
I want one of these:

988da11d24970345619a36908d137c27.jpg


Or better yet, one of these:

7fdef42f312a57f6f1fbad249f396bcd.jpg
 
ES, is the US DOT standard no good? The Gringo claims to comply with it.
 
DOT is not necessarily bad, Cormanus. As a read someplace, A DOT helmet may not pass Snell standards and a Snell helmet may not pass ECE standards. So a DOT helmet could be as good as an ECE helmet, but it has not been tested as such. Here's just a little bit (biased though it may be) about this http://www.smf.org/docs/articles/dot
 
Thread starter
One motorcycle editor lost his job for an article he did saying many DOT rated helmets were in fact safer than Snell rated helmets. Can't remember who it was though. "in general" though Snell rated helmets have a better reputation for safety in this country by word of mouth on forums such as this..right or wrong.

Found it Dexter Ford motorcyclist Magazine ..it is a great article to read in it's entirety.

Motorcycle Helmet Performance: Blowing the Lid Off

and if you read anything in this report read this part

To Snell? Or Not To Snell?
 
The ferret_imp said:
One motorcycle editor lost his job for an article he did saying many DOT rated helmets were in fact safer than Snell rated helmets. Can't remember who it was though. "in general" though Snell rated helmets have a better reputation for safety in this country by word of mouth on forums such as this..right or wrong.

Found it Dexter Ford motorcyclist Magazine ..it is a great article to read in it's entirety.

Motorcycle Helmet Performance: Blowing the Lid Off

and if you read anything in this report read this part

To Snell? Or Not To Snell?
Pretty interesting read. If I buy a helmet and it meets DOT standards its good enough for me. Any other rating is frosting on the cake.
 
Good article, Ferret. it has forced me to do some more research. Readers of it should note, however, that the Snell standards referenced in the article have been modified at least twice since it was written. if only the author would perform his own independent tests on the Biltwell Gringo...then maybe its lack of anything other than a DOT sticker would be of no concern to me.
 
I well remember the helmet controversy started by the articles in Motorcyclist. I believe Arai may have been the one that initially dropped their ads there. Strange that the tests concluded that two of the least expensive DOT full face helmets offered the best impact protection. The article concluded that the old Snell standard had placed too much emphasis on resistance to shell penetration thus mandating a harder shell with less energy absorption.
The whole incident makes me more appreciative of Motorcycle Consumer News and their no advertising format.
 
Except that Snell amended its standards twice, at least, since then and once BEFORE the "independent" tests in the article using helmets with the 2005 standards. Also, the fact that there is a marketing advantage to having the Snell sticker does not make the standard any less valid.

The problem is that you do not know what you are getting with a DOT helmet--yes, there are cheap DOT helmets that meet or exceed all the best testing standards, but there are clearly many DOT helmets which are inferior, too. At least with Snell/ECE ranked helmets, I know they've been tested and since those standards have been revised since the article was written and now meet or exceed the qualifications of the testing in that article, I think that the Snell/ECE helmets are generally preferable to the DOT-only helmets. GENERALLY. All of these posts have , however, swayed me to the idea that Biltwell Gringo my be a perfectly safe helmet worthy of consideration. An email should be able to determine the types and quality of the materials used so I can make my own judgement/rationalization about its safety.

Still would LOVE to see more information on retro-inspired helmets in this thread, rather than a debate about safety standards. So far I have, Bell, Biltwell, and Davida as the prime players in this space. Any others?
 
Thread starter
Sea, I subscribe to Motorcycle Classics Magazine. This month they did an article on helmets. The Bell Bullit, and the Biltwell Gringo, were the two in the article that were actually retro. 2 of the others were 3/4 helmets and the other 3 didn't look very retro, but 2 of them were Snell/ECE approved, Torc T27 modular ( interesting since I heard no modulars would pass Snell) and the Joe Rocket Speedmaster Carbon. The third, a Nolan N104Evo another modular which passes DOT and ECE according to the article.

The Bullit and Gringo are both DOT. I have a HJC CS 12 that looks pretty retro but it is also DOT.

You also requested a stripe ( I assume center stripe) and there are only 2 helmets that I have found with the stripe the Biltwell Gringo and the Davida.

If you don't care for a retro style helmet the gates are wide open as far as helmet choices, but you narrow the search with retro styling (down to about 4) with a stripe (down to 2) and snell approved ( down to 0 ). It's always possible that Shoei or Arai will come out with something in the near future, that is retro and Snell approved and of course you can always add a tape stripe to any helmet you might choose.

I might add the problem with retro styled helmets is, back in the day, they hadn't discovered air vents yet. The shells were smooth all over, the only air entrance being the face shield. True retro style helmets follow this trend for the most part and are pretty much ventless. So be aware.

Btw the 78 Honda CX 500 is one of the featured bikes in the magazine this month.


**** Edit.. An internet search turned up this

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...I|Retro Motorcycle Helmets&WT.MC_ID=10010

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/69475/i/arai-rx-q-conflict-helmet


.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Except that Snell amended its standards twice, at least, since then and once BEFORE the "independent" tests in the article using helmets with the 2005 standards. Also, the fact that there is a marketing advantage to having the Snell sticker does not make the standard any less valid.

The problem is that you do not know what you are getting with a DOT helmet--yes, there are cheap DOT helmets that meet or exceed all the best testing standards, but there are clearly many DOT helmets which are inferior, too. At least with Snell/ECE ranked helmets, I know they've been tested and since those standards have been revised since the article was written and now meet or exceed the qualifications of the testing in that article, I think that the Snell/ECE helmets are generally preferable to the DOT-only helmets. GENERALLY. All of these posts have , however, swayed me to the idea that Biltwell Gringo my be a perfectly safe helmet worthy of consideration. An email should be able to determine the types and quality of the materials used so I can make my own judgement/rationalization about its safety.

Still would LOVE to see more information on retro-inspired helmets in this thread, rather than a debate about safety standards. So far I have, Bell, Biltwell, and Davida as the prime players in this space. Any others?
I cannot help but notice you spend most of this post on helmet standards so you are suggesting we should avoid talking about helmet standards now that you have had your say on them.

So, on standards. I don't know. So, I pick the helmet I want, the bike I want and the oil I want and I just ride.
 
LOL. I sincerely hope not. It simply occurred to me at the end of my last comment that this thread was intended to provide information on the whereabouts of retro-inspired helmets and that, largely in part because of my desire that such a helmet be Snell/ECE approved, we had deviated from the intent of the topic. Since I was the person that originally asked about retro-styled helmets in the first place, I concluded my last comment with the wish that we could get back on track.

It was not my intent to get the last word on helmet safety or about advertising's influence on editorial content or anything else. I love to read folks' opinions on all of that.
 
Thread starter
Nighthawk he was just responding to the ton of info he was bombarded with ( started by me I suppose) about whether a Snell was actually better than a DOT helmet. I probably should never have injected that information into the thread. My bad.

He wants a Snell helmet, as is his prerogative, and he was just explaining that.

So what do you think of the Arai retro Sea? Fit the bill?
 
@ferret... When you listed all my requirements for a retro-helmet, I realized that perhaps, just perhaps, I may have set the parameters a tad too tightly. Therefore, I am hereby removing the stripe from my list. :rofl:
 
I go back and forth on whether I like the Simpson Street Bandit. It is Snell M2010 certified and has a retro vibe. It definitely has a certain hooligan-esque character about it though which is wholly inconsistent with my mild demeanor.

 
Thread starter
"It definitely has a certain hooligan-esque character about it though which is wholly inconsistent with my mild demeanor. "

:rofl:

Forgot they were still making the Simpsons. Very retro IMO. They sure were strange looking when they first came out
 
Back
Top