Retro bikes, comparison.

This will likely be the last big bore air-cooled engine we will see out of Japan. It has much tighter clearances compared to older 70s-80s big fours for efficiency, and for noise and emissions regulations, with the fuels available today.

This bike was not designed for maximum performance, otherwise it would be liquid-cooled. It was a compromise between appearance and performance. And as a result, it runs very hot, as witnessed by the oil cooled spark plugs, large oil cooler, and by the much more frequent valve inspection intervals. And as far as I know, the oil temperature light is not seen on any other Honda bike. The speed/rev limiter ensures a longer engine life.

Back in the day, my CBX would get so hot after a high speed run, it would ping like crazy minutes afterwards until it finally cooled down, regardless of the grade of fuel. Yes, superbikes of the 70s and 80s could be made to go faster, but for how long? I suspect the CB1100 will be just as smooth, quiet, refined and powerful at 100k miles, and although I may not put that many on it, I find that more comforting than knowing it could have gone 130mph.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
The speed limiter has been mentioned in at least one published magazine review and there are several threads about it on this forum. I must say, though, that I didn't know about it before I bought my bike. Then again, it's not something I was worried about in the least. 14000 miles and I've had my CB to something close to 100 (I was a little afraid to look down to be sure) just once. I like to pass other vehicles as quickly as possible, especially trucks, but have never approached the speeds that some of you hit regularly.

Yes, it is anyone's guess as to why Honda decided to ship bikes to the U.S. with the speed limiter--mine is that it was expedient for them to do so.

As to "shame", I would say to uscgmac that if the speed limiter would of been a deal breaker had you known, then that's a shame. The good news is that there's a relatively easy fix for it. It sounds like you otherwise like the bike a lot, so maybe it was a good thing you didn't know about the limiter before you bought.

Now, it's 60+ here and I think I will ride for a bit. Not a chance I'm going to hit the ton today, that is for sure :)
REAL easy solution.

Lotsa folks looking for a deal on a CB1100. List it for sale!...and while you're waiting, enjoy it as you can.

Look around at the bigger used crotch-rockets; tomorrow's collectables, maybe, when it comes to be that ALL new bikes have speed limiters.
 
Everyone has their individual issues with any given product — nothing is perfect. In the case of the CB1100, my guess that the single biggest hindrance to Honda selling larger quantities of the bike has little to do with the looks or the horsepower (or the speed limiter for that matter) but rather the pricing.

People are willing to overlook a lot of what they perceive as shortcomings with a product if they are under the perception that they got the "upper hand". Not only at the bargaining table but in comparison to the next guy. Such scrutiny certainly applies to motorcycles. If a product falls within the amount a person has budgeted for a purchase, then it has a chance of being sold. The chances increase as the price drops. But how much tweaking can a manufacturer do to a product before it loses its base appeal?

Honda could have cut corners here or there and made the CB1100 available for less. But from all of the information that Honda has published about the creation of the CB1100, that was not their goal. I also highly doubt that a bike resulting from such priorities would have had nearly as much appeal to me as the bike Honda ended up actually producing. When it comes to the CB1100, I for one am glad that Honda went about things the way they did.
 
Thread starter
Yes you could join a forum and look through threads then maybe find a post about speed limiters but who ever really does that. If anything you would check the forum to see peoples reviews but might not particularly find something about a speed limiter unless you fall upon it so enough on the you should of known crap, that's rediculous. I also do NOT want a crotch rocket. Wasn't looking for a crotch rocket, all I'm saying is that a 2014 1100cc bike should not come with a speed limiter, the speed limiter should be my judgement and my wrist. I do love the bike and I will keep it and am more than satisfied with it. In the future I may consider the ecu mod after the warranty expires. I got the look and ride quality and comfort that I wanted, I just like to wind out my bikes on occasion and don't like that someone predetermined what my allowable Max speed should be undermining the true potential of the bike itself. Why would anyone want to do over 112? Well for me that is a very easy and obtainable speed to handle on highways. Its my perogative. I'm not hating the bike by any means just has that one quirk about it.
P.s. with the Puig windscreen, I have zero wind blast on my chest even at high speeds so i don't think I'll ever get blown off the bike, lol. Even without the screen that's just not going to happen, just tuck a little.
Also, I was just out riding before and want to say that the bike truly does have a great low end and middle end ratio. The bike has great performance with tourqe and pull in the mid range. Lots of fun in third and fourth around 4 to 5k rpms.
 
For those, who do not like the limiter, there are ways to overcome
it. Some costs are involved, but where there is a will, there will be a way.
Honda has something in mind with it, that doesn't consequently run together
with what some customers think.

Wisedrum
 
I tend to become more than a bit obsessive when it comes to researching something of interest to me and doubt that I represent the norm when it comes to such things. I don't know that the average guy would necessarily find out about the speed limiter in advance after perusing a forum for a bit so I can kind of understand where uscgmac is coming from. We don't typically look for something that we don't know about.

As to why Honda left the speed limiter intact on the CB1100 outside of Japan is anybody's guess. My guess is that is has as much to do with the design of the bike (a frame and simple suspension components that weren't designed with high performance riding in mind) as much as it does anything else. The question might not be "do you feel comfortable riding a motorcycle over 112 mph?", but rather "do you feel comfortable riding this particular motorcycle in stock form at over 112 mph?"
 
Since the limiter was in place for the original home market I strongly suspect, given the focus of the bike, they decided to just leave it in place for all markets. After all, 112 mph will earn a trip to jail in many counties in Arizona - perhaps in other states as well. It's called criminal speeding. No mater what your opinion of the matter is, legally speaking, going that fast is just plain illegal and illegal activities, on an open forum, - well it's just bad form to encourage.

The fuel line and fuel filter swelling on Moto Guzzi tanks I believe has been addressed for sometime. I can't recall the last time it came up in the forum. Gas tank swelling of the plastic tanks is still a bit of an issue; Ducati seems to be suffering the worst of it (I think in Europe just about everyone gets their tanks from Acerbis, so hopefully they can sort that out). So far, the biggest complaint is the so called quick disconnect for the fuel line. I think it's more of a lack of knowledge on how to work it than a problem engineering wise. Although one could make the argument that if a shade tree mechanic can't noodle it out they did it wrong. :)

I used to 6-2, with a 36" inseam and found the V7 to be too small for me. The CB, with lowered pegs and a raised seat (same thing I did with the Griso) is a much better fit. So the V7 may not be a prime choice in that regard. A test ride should help with that. Some people fold up better than others. :) I think I could have rode it just fine, but in the grand scheme of things I pulled the trigger on the CB instead. I think a need for some diversity in the herd (as well as a bunch of other reasons) pushed me away from another V twin. Although at one point I had three Honda's!
 
When I started looking for a bike (and aside from a couple dual sports, this is my first ever "true" street bike) I was pretty set on a yamaha SR 400, but being a heavy guy, I decided to keep looking for something a little bigger. When I saw the CB online I loved the look, but thought "thats WAY too much bike for me!" But when I started researching the CB, I found that the bike was EXACTLY what I was looking for. Everything I read about the bike told me it was smooth, torquey, and wouldn't try to rip my arms out of their sockets. I knew (unquestionably) that this wasn't a fire breather, and after seeing and riding the bike at my dealership, I signed a bunch of official lookin papers and brought it home. When I read posts or reviews with people complaining about this engine, it really surprises me. I knew FOR SURE what I was getting (thanks in large part to this forum) before I bought my CB. Honda hit the nail on the head with this bike in every way--looks, performance, and quality. If you don't feel that way about this bike, maybe one of those souless spaceship looking machines is for you. Me, I made the perfect choice. Guess I'm just lucky that way...
 
uscgmac_imp said:
You can read and watch all the reviews you want and talk to whoever you want. Nobody was talking about or advertising that the bike has a speed limiter of 112mph. I've been riding for 26 years and had over 20 bikes and never heard of this so don't say shame on anyone. Your statements are as rediculous as the speed limiter. Not everyone has to be 60+ to want this bike, some wantitfor the cool Retro look and modern touches, expecting an 1100 to have some balls, not have the same capability of a 500cc bike. My riding capabilities far exceed the speed limiter.
Don't call my comment ridiculous. Watch your mouth. I guess my comment hit a nerve as you are one of those that didn't do enough research. I saw the limiter mentioned in more than one magazine and online review when I was doing my research. I have very little desire to do over 100 on a naked bike. I've done it on my faired BMWs so I'm not afraid to do so, I just don't like the feeling of being pushed off the rear of the seat while doing so.
uscgmac_imp said:
Yes you could join a forum and look through threads then maybe find a post about speed limiters but who ever really does that. If anything you would check the forum to see peoples reviews but might not particularly find something about a speed limiter unless you fall upon it so enough on the you should of known crap, that's rediculous. I also do NOT want a crotch rocket. Wasn't looking for a crotch rocket, all I'm saying is that a 2014 1100cc bike should not come with a speed limiter, the speed limiter should be my judgement and my wrist. I do love the bike and I will keep it and am more than satisfied with it. In the future I may consider the ecu mod after the warranty expires. I got the look and ride quality and comfort that I wanted, I just like to wind out my bikes on occasion and don't like that someone predetermined what my allowable Max speed should be undermining the true potential of the bike itself. Why would anyone want to do over 112? Well for me that is a very easy and obtainable speed to handle on highways. Its my perogative. I'm not hating the bike by any means just has that one quirk about it.
P.s. with the Puig windscreen, I have zero wind blast on my chest even at high speeds so i don't think I'll ever get blown off the bike, lol. Even without the screen that's just not going to happen, just tuck a little.
Also, I was just out riding before and want to say that the bike truly does have a great low end and middle end ratio. The bike has great performance with tourqe and pull in the mid range. Lots of fun in third and fourth around 4 to 5k rpms.
Ever hear of the saying- When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging?
The info about the rev limiter is out there and has been out there. Just because you didn't find it or notice doesn't make others ridiculous. More people than just me saw it mentioned. Whether we thought it a big deal and whether it remained at the forefront of our research memory is up to each individual.
 
Maybe I am out of the norm too a bit because I do go to other motorcycle forums to learn about those models. I know about the cam chain tensioner issues on Yamaha FZ09 even though no magazine has mentioned it. BTW they also have a speed limiter that no magazines mention or Yamaha either for that matter. I know about the fuel strip issues on BMW R1200R's even though no magazine has mentioned it and I know about Ducati Multistrada engines self grenading even though no motorcycle magazines have mentioned it. Want to know anything about a particular bike, go to that models forum and see what the people that own them say about them. Really curious type " Problems or complaints with X model motorcycle, car or whatever" into google and all kinds of stuff will come up. Most of it will be linked to an owners forum. Just last night I was researching whether I could use a snow blade on my John Deer riding mower and found out if I do chances are my hydrostatic transmission will wear out prematurely. Magazines wouldn't tell me that, John Deer wouldn't tell me that, but dissatisfied owners that have tried it told me that. I was also curious which was the better quad, a Honda Rancher or a Yamaha Grizzly. Seems most prefer the Grizzly.
 
Owner forums are a rich place for info. You find the complaints (every thing has its' issues) then you decide if those sort of issues are ones you can deal with or not. On really good bikes folks will complain about trivial stuff like the dumb silver side covers, lack of RLETS and such stuff. Some issues are quite serious but very infrequent, others, fairly common.

Unfortunately, on the ThumperTalk.com, the perfect thread for such failures was asked by a prospective owner about four years after I bought mine. So I was able to chime in and confirm all the annoying failures (and expensive) folks talked about - I had them all.

Not sure if it would have prevented me from buying it though.
 
I see what you did there Rboe :cool:
 
Thread starter
ClassicVW_imp said:
uscgmac_imp said:
You can read and watch all the reviews you want and talk to whoever you want. Nobody was talking about or advertising that the bike has a speed limiter of 112mph. I've been riding for 26 years and had over 20 bikes and never heard of this so don't say shame on anyone. Your statements are as rediculous as the speed limiter. Not everyone has to be 60+ to want this bike, some wantitfor the cool Retro look and modern touches, expecting an 1100 to have some balls, not have the same capability of a 500cc bike. My riding capabilities far exceed the speed limiter.
Don't call my comment ridiculous. Watch your mouth. I guess my comment hit a nerve as you are one of those that didn't do enough research. I saw the limiter mentioned in more than one magazine and online review when I was doing my research. I have very little desire to do over 100 on a naked bike. I've done it on my faired BMWs so I'm not afraid to do so, I just don't like the feeling of being pushed off the rear of the seat while doing so.
uscgmac_imp said:
Yes you could join a forum and look through threads then maybe find a post about speed limiters but who ever really does that. If anything you would check the forum to see peoples reviews but might not particularly find something about a speed limiter unless you fall upon it so enough on the you should of known crap, that's rediculous. I also do NOT want a crotch rocket. Wasn't looking for a crotch rocket, all I'm saying is that a 2014 1100cc bike should not come with a speed limiter, the speed limiter should be my judgement and my wrist. I do love the bike and I will keep it and am more than satisfied with it. In the future I may consider the ecu mod after the warranty expires. I got the look and ride quality and comfort that I wanted, I just like to wind out my bikes on occasion and don't like that someone predetermined what my allowable Max speed should be undermining the true potential of the bike itself. Why would anyone want to do over 112? Well for me that is a very easy and obtainable speed to handle on highways. Its my perogative. I'm not hating the bike by any means just has that one quirk about it.
P.s. with the Puig windscreen, I have zero wind blast on my chest even at high speeds so i don't think I'll ever get blown off the bike, lol. Even without the screen that's just not going to happen, just tuck a little.
Also, I was just out riding before and want to say that the bike truly does have a great low end and middle end ratio. The bike has great performance with tourqe and pull in the mid range. Lots of fun in third and fourth around 4 to 5k rpms.
Ever hear of the saying- When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging?
The info about the rev limiter is out there and has been out there. Just because you didn't find it or notice doesn't make others ridiculous. More people than just me saw it mentioned. Whether we thought it a big deal and whether it remained at the forefront of our research memory is up to each individual.
Don't call my comment ridiculous. Watch your mouth. I guess my comment hit a nerve as you are one of those that didn't do enough research. I saw the limiter mentioned in more than one magazine and online review when I was doing my research. I have very little desire to do over 100 on a naked bike. I've done it on my faired BMWs so I'm not afraid to do so, I just don't like the feeling of being pushed off the rear of the seat while doing so.
uscgmac_imp said:
Yes you could join a forum and look through threads then maybe find a post about speed limiters but who ever really does that. If anything you would check the forum to see peoples reviews but might not particularly find something about a speed limiter unless you fall upon it so enough on the you should of known crap, that's rediculous. I also do NOT want a crotch rocket. Wasn't looking for a crotch rocket, all I'm saying is that a 2014 1100cc bike should not come with a speed limiter, the speed limiter should be my judgement and my wrist. I do love the bike and I will keep it and am more than satisfied with it. In the future I may consider the ecu mod after the warranty expires. I got the look and ride quality and comfort that I wanted, I just like to wind out my bikes on occasion and don't like that someone predetermined what my allowable Max speed should be undermining the true potential of the bike itself. Why would anyone want to do over 112? Well for me that is a very easy and obtainable speed to handle on highways. Its my perogative. I'm not hating the bike by any means just has that one quirk about it.
P.s. with the Puig windscreen, I have zero wind blast on my chest even at high speeds so i don't think I'll ever get blown off the bike, lol. Even without the screen that's just not going to happen, just tuck a little.
Also, I was just out riding before and want to say that the bike truly does have a great low end and middle end ratio. The bike has great performance with tourqe and pull in the mid range. Lots of fun in third and fourth around 4 to 5k rpms.
Ever hear of the saying- When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging?
The info about the rev limiter is out there and has been out there. Just because you didn't find it or notice doesn't make others ridiculous. More people than just me saw it mentioned. Whether we thought it a big deal and whether it remained at the forefront of our research memory is up to each individual. First off I believe I struck a cord in you, not the other way around, secondly my opinion is my opinion so don't ask me to watch anything and third off if you actually paid attention to anything I said you would have accepted it and moved on. I don't believe people go around researching if bikes have speed limiters so go read all your magazines and enjoy. Also if everyone else would actually take the time to understand the statements in place they would understand that I am very pleased with the motor just not the way the ecu is programed. The ecu is not part of the motor for those of you who commented about that. You are actually the one who sounds like your talking yourself into trying to like your own bike and not sure if you really do. Discussing this is like talking to a mule. Done with this. Oh by the way do I have to type a disclaimer that all speed trials were conducted on a closed coarse circuit by a professional rider so the forum police don't come running!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!:excited::banana:
I agree that lots of research can be done on anything, very true and you now what, everyone is right. I am the one responsable to know what I am buying so yes I should have known. My fault, I just don't see it being something that lots of people will pick up on being I wouldn't have even thought of a bike having a speed limiter let alone a very low one. So yes my fault for all the nit pickers out there. I did say I still love the bike, o.k. Sorry to all, just don't like when people try undermining my statements, I give it right back.
 
Rboe_imp said:
Since the limiter was in place for the original home market I strongly suspect, given the focus of the bike, they decided to just leave it in place for all markets. After all, 112 mph will earn a trip to jail in many counties in Arizona - perhaps in other states as well. It's called criminal speeding. No mater what your opinion of the matter is, legally speaking, going that fast is just plain illegal and illegal activities, on an open forum, - well it's just bad form to encourage.

The fuel line and fuel filter swelling on Moto Guzzi tanks I believe has been addressed for sometime. I can't recall the last time it came up in the forum. Gas tank swelling of the plastic tanks is still a bit of an issue; Ducati seems to be suffering the worst of it (I think in Europe just about everyone gets their tanks from Acerbis, so hopefully they can sort that out). So far, the biggest complaint is the so called quick disconnect for the fuel line. I think it's more of a lack of knowledge on how to work it than a problem engineering wise. Although one could make the argument that if a shade tree mechanic can't noodle it out they did it wrong. :)

I used to 6-2, with a 36" inseam and found the V7 to be too small for me. The CB, with lowered pegs and a raised seat (same thing I did with the Griso) is a much better fit. So the V7 may not be a prime choice in that regard. A test ride should help with that. Some people fold up better than others. :) I think I could have rode it just fine, but in the grand scheme of things I pulled the trigger on the CB instead. I think a need for some diversity in the herd (as well as a bunch of other reasons) pushed me away from another V twin. Although at one point I had three Honda's!
A couple of years ago I was looking at used Super Dukes and XR1200's which both had fuel tank swelling issues. I didn't consider the KTM any further. I believe the Harley issue was mostly cosmetic.

The XR1200 is a retro bike that hasn't come up yet. What a cool bike. Similar in some ways to the ZRX - correct look, up to date suspension. It's a shame the Harley crowd won't support anything other than a two-wheeled jukebox.
 
Thread starter
I had an 09 XR1200. In 2010 they upgraded the suspension and blacked out the motor. It was a nice bike. The swelling of the tank was mainly in Europe due to some bad fuel issues. I never had that problem. The bike was nice, had it for a little bit and moved on.
 
Oooh, the XR1200 is an excellent bike. A buddy in Slovenia has one and loves it. Sadly, sold like old sardines on a hot day over here.
 
Rboe_imp said:
Oooh, the XR1200 is an excellent bike. A buddy in Slovenia has one and loves it. Sadly, sold like old sardines on a hot day over here.
When it comes to the 'standards don't sell in the US' debate THAT is the bike that stumps me. What a cool little bike with modern performance. The AMA even gave it its own class to race in.

Identifying the problem with Japanese bikes is easy - they're typically parts bin specials. Even so they can be lovable and sell if the price is right, like the Bandit and first SV650. There are bikes with good performance, like the 3rd genration Z1000, but don't sell because the look is just off. Way off as in the case of the Z1000.

But with the XR1200, that bike should have sold. The timing had to have hurt it - released right when the economy took a dump.
 
I think this is more of a Honda issue than a CB1100 issue. Honda has taken a very conservative stance over the last few years in terms of outright performance and specs. CB11, CTX1300, The NT700, updated VFR, CBF 500. All of them have relatively unimpressive power figures and spec sheets, and none of them lead their market peers in outright performance. Additionally, they are all priced at a premium level, and heavily discounted when they wallow in dealerships, (or in some cases discontinued or model years skipped).

Great products, beautifully built, adequate performance, premium price, cheap as chips after discounts or on the second hand market. Makes it bad for magazine comparison tests and good for those of us who like the bikes and don't necessarily care about top speed or comparisons.

That being said, Honda should have done what every manufacturer has done with virtually every model they sell overseas, and remove the restrictor, IMHO.
 
I agree Capo, I don't think it should have been on there for us to begin with, and many of us who bought the CB 1100 in late 2012 early 2013 DID NOT know about the restrictions. There was simply no info available at the time. I can't remember how we discovered it, but I think it was a magazine article. (*** EDIT.. I googled "Speed restriction on Honda CB 1100" and right there at the top was the 2013 Cycle World road test where it was mentioned) and then some members (I believe Flynrider was the first) tried to exceed the 112 and couldn't and we discussed it at length. It was also discussed on the UK board. I would think it's common knowledge now.

Many of the new FZ-09 owners were also surprised to find their bikes were restricted (a little higher speed than ours) but they were not happy about it either,

from FZ-09 forums:


FozzyBoy

10-21-2013, 05:40 PM

I'm test riding an FZ09 next Monday and am seriously interested in one. I may wait for the ABS model.
One thing is concerning me is that I have read in a couple of road tests that the top speed has been governed to 132MPH, yes I know it is way more than the legal limit, but if I buy a bike I want the prerogative of having all the performance of the bike available, Does anyone out there have any news / info on this.:(

Sound familiar? lol

.... but once again buy a ZRX14 or a BMW S1000RR or a Tuono V4 and they are also restricted, just at a higher speed than ours.
 
Back
Top