Retro bikes, comparison.

It seems to me many of the guys that bought then sold their CB's were expecting a Camaro but got a Caprice instead. With resources like this forum that is just not doing due diligence, no fault of the bike at all. She is pretty much just what Honda wanted to put out there; and for many of the folks that bought her, just what we were looking for. I'm a bit surprised, being aging Boomers, there aren't more of us.

If Honda built a classic vertical twin like the old CB450 I'd be quite keen on getting one of those too.

Another "retro" bike but with EFI is the Moto Guzzi V7. Shaft drive, light, screw adjusted valve tappets - and right out there in the open so easy peasy to work on. Many complain about its' "low" horse power but she is a light bike and if your belt still have plenty of expansion holes, it will put a big grin on your face. My old 550 KX only had about 50 horses and she put me in the hospital several times and one speeding ticket. :)

There are lots of bikes out there to choose from; if a particular machine does not do it for you I'm sure one of the others will. It's also very hard to find a bad bike. Most are built very well and complaints typically revolve around nit pics, not true debacles. I submit that in general there are no bad bikes, just riders that picked the wrong bike. Get divorced and keep looking! :D
 
Like most things, the CB's horsepower and top speed are about perspective. The perceived "lack of" will always be an issue for guys coming off bikes with MORE of both. For me, it's the exact opposite issue. I sold a bike that squeezed out 36 HP for one that produced 50 at the crank. "MY" perspective is that the CB is more than adequate in both top speed AND horsepower (at least for me) compared to me previous rides.
 
Rboe_imp said:
It seems to me many of the guys that bought then sold their CB's were expecting a Camaro but got a Caprice instead. With resources like this forum that is just not doing due diligence, no fault of the bike at all. She is pretty much just what Honda wanted to put out there; and for many of the folks that bought her, just what we were looking for. I'm a bit surprised, being aging Boomers, there aren't more of us.

If Honda built a classic vertical twin like the old CB450 I'd be quite keen on getting one of those too.

Another "retro" bike but with EFI is the Moto Guzzi V7. Shaft drive, light, screw adjusted valve tappets - and right out there in the open so easy peasy to work on. Many complain about its' "low" horse power but she is a light bike and if your belt still have plenty of expansion holes, it will put a big grin on your face. My old 550 KX only had about 50 horses and she put me in the hospital several times and one speeding ticket. :)

There are lots of bikes out there to choose from; if a particular machine does not do it for you I'm sure one of the others will. It's also very hard to find a bad bike. Most are built very well and complaints typically revolve around nit pics, not true debacles. I submit that in general there are no bad bikes, just riders that picked the wrong bike. Get divorced and keep looking! :D
What has been your experience with reliability and maintenance on a Moto Guzzi? I live in a large metro area but there's still only one Guzzi dealer. I know of a used V7 for sale but I worry about getting a nasty surprise when it comes time to work on it.
 
Many of us on this board bought Triumph Bonneville T-100's (my self included) and sold them to get this CB 1100.
[/QUOTE]

I own both a Triumph Scrambler and the CB, the engine is a gem and it handles as well as the CB, glad I don't have to pick 1 over the other, I did have to de-tune the Ecu and upgrade the suspension tho, very happy with both bikes, and many on this board own both bikes and appreciate each for what it is
 
pekingduck_imp said:
sig_a_imp said:
Honda won't stop producing the CB1100 DLX as long as the niche market remains profitable. Will a 2016 DLX include digitally controlled suspension, traction control, updated LED lighting, heated grips as standard?

Honda is the most successful motorcycle manufacturer in the world.
I hate to think I'm old fashioned just because I'm old, but I think a strong reason I own a CB1100 (non-ABS) is because it doesn't have digital suspension, traction control, etc. It is a straight-forward, simple bike that responds to my inputs alone.

It is also likely a reason for the success of the Bonnevilles, the continued appeal of BMW oilheads and the resurgence of airheads, and for that matter, the whole chopperbobbercafe movement.

Electronic ignition, fuel injection sometimes, maybe even ABS, advances in metalurgy, manufacturing and design, okay, but my line in the sand is drawn at that. For bikes anyway. High tech in cars - great, as long as it works reliably. But my car lives outside, the bikes own the garage.
You're not old fashioned, you're a bike guy. Bike guys are by nature mechanical guys. I'm not an electronics hater (carburetors, though an elegant solution for mixing air and fuel, are a PIA to live with) but they don't fascinate me.
 
Good point Rboe. In January 2013 before the CB hit our shores there was very little info available about the bike, and many of us were searching HARD for any tidbits about it. Even the guys who had it for awhile ... Japan, Australia, New Zealand were not talking about it that I could find. In April of 2013, this forum was founded and the info available multiplied exponentially. By April 2015 NO ONE should be surprised about anything about the CB 1100. Between this forum, the print and the electronic media over the last 2 years anyone saying they didn't know what this bike was like, just has not been paying attention.
 
pearsonm_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
It seems to me many of the guys that bought then sold their CB's were expecting a Camaro but got a Caprice instead. With resources like this forum that is just not doing due diligence, no fault of the bike at all. She is pretty much just what Honda wanted to put out there; and for many of the folks that bought her, just what we were looking for. I'm a bit surprised, being aging Boomers, there aren't more of us.

If Honda built a classic vertical twin like the old CB450 I'd be quite keen on getting one of those too.

Another "retro" bike but with EFI is the Moto Guzzi V7. Shaft drive, light, screw adjusted valve tappets - and right out there in the open so easy peasy to work on. Many complain about its' "low" horse power but she is a light bike and if your belt still have plenty of expansion holes, it will put a big grin on your face. My old 550 KX only had about 50 horses and she put me in the hospital several times and one speeding ticket. :)

There are lots of bikes out there to choose from; if a particular machine does not do it for you I'm sure one of the others will. It's also very hard to find a bad bike. Most are built very well and complaints typically revolve around nit pics, not true debacles. I submit that in general there are no bad bikes, just riders that picked the wrong bike. Get divorced and keep looking! :D
What has been your experience with reliability and maintenance on a Moto Guzzi? I live in a large metro area but there's still only one Guzzi dealer. I know of a used V7 for sale but I worry about getting a nasty surprise when it comes time to work on it.
What has been your experience with reliability and maintenance on a Moto Guzzi? I live in a large metro area but there's still only one Guzzi dealer. I know of a used V7 for sale but I worry about getting a nasty surprise when it comes time to work on it.
I picked up a new 2012 SE Griso (well, ALL US imported Griso's were the SE model). Leaving the side walk at the Elks club the height was miss judged and I slammed the bottom pan on the concrete. Didn't notice until I got home, about 6 miles away - on the freeway and surface streets - that I was leaking oil through a good sized hole. I did suspect something as on my second righthand turn the back end felt squirelly. What a POS, can't take a little knock on the pan! Who knew? :angel: Ordered and installed the pan myself. Didn't take all that long.

Locked up the front wheel while coming to a fast halt off a freeway. Hit gravel, ended up meeting some nice guys with the Highway Patrol, EMT's, some cute x-ray tech and ER docs. Broken collar bone. Sent the bike to the dealer and in about 6 weeks or so he had rebuilt it without totalling. Surprised me. But no ABS, no steering damper. What a POS! :angel:

A buddy bought a used 2014 that had a pourus casting on a cylinder. Moto Guzzi did not have one in stock in the US, it was August and Italy shuts down for a month so it took him a long time to get that part. He was frosted. Meh, that's Italians for ya.

With Moto Guzzi's you should be willing to do a lot of wrenching on your own. Mostly because dealers, good ones, are few and far between. Wildguzzi forum is a great resource for you. If you are the sort of fellow that at the most does oil changes and the Guzzi dealer is not in the same town I'd say pass. That said, they are pretty darn easy to work on. Valves are right out in the open, screw and lock nut. Pop the valve covers, open the flywheel inspection port and if you are slow it's a half our job. Experienced guys can do it in a few minutes. No shims!

My first Guzzi was a 2000 Quota, had an offer on it so I sold it, mainly because bits like tupperware were becoming unobtainium. Basic mechanicals were easy to source though.

A word of warning. Guzzi's are slow to warm to you. Short test rides don't seem to be favorable, but longer ones, 50+ miles seems to convert folks hard. Well, if you are the Guzzi type. :) Kinda cool not to see your bike everywhere too.
 
Rboe_imp said:
pearsonm_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
It seems to me many of the guys that bought then sold their CB's were expecting a Camaro but got a Caprice instead. With resources like this forum that is just not doing due diligence, no fault of the bike at all. She is pretty much just what Honda wanted to put out there; and for many of the folks that bought her, just what we were looking for. I'm a bit surprised, being aging Boomers, there aren't more of us.

If Honda built a classic vertical twin like the old CB450 I'd be quite keen on getting one of those too.

Another "retro" bike but with EFI is the Moto Guzzi V7. Shaft drive, light, screw adjusted valve tappets - and right out there in the open so easy peasy to work on. Many complain about its' "low" horse power but she is a light bike and if your belt still have plenty of expansion holes, it will put a big grin on your face. My old 550 KX only had about 50 horses and she put me in the hospital several times and one speeding ticket. :)

There are lots of bikes out there to choose from; if a particular machine does not do it for you I'm sure one of the others will. It's also very hard to find a bad bike. Most are built very well and complaints typically revolve around nit pics, not true debacles. I submit that in general there are no bad bikes, just riders that picked the wrong bike. Get divorced and keep looking! :D
What has been your experience with reliability and maintenance on a Moto Guzzi? I live in a large metro area but there's still only one Guzzi dealer. I know of a used V7 for sale but I worry about getting a nasty surprise when it comes time to work on it.
What has been your experience with reliability and maintenance on a Moto Guzzi? I live in a large metro area but there's still only one Guzzi dealer. I know of a used V7 for sale but I worry about getting a nasty surprise when it comes time to work on it.
I picked up a new 2012 SE Griso (well, ALL US imported Griso's were the SE model). Leaving the side walk at the Elks club the height was miss judged and I slammed the bottom pan on the concrete. Didn't notice until I got home, about 6 miles away - on the freeway and surface streets - that I was leaking oil through a good sized hole. I did suspect something as on my second righthand turn the back end felt squirelly. What a POS, can't take a little knock on the pan! Who knew? :angel: Ordered and installed the pan myself. Didn't take all that long.

Locked up the front wheel while coming to a fast halt off a freeway. Hit gravel, ended up meeting some nice guys with the Highway Patrol, EMT's, some cute x-ray tech and ER docs. Broken collar bone. Sent the bike to the dealer and in about 6 weeks or so he had rebuilt it without totalling. Surprised me. But no ABS, no steering damper. What a POS! :angel:

A buddy bought a used 2014 that had a pourus casting on a cylinder. Moto Guzzi did not have one in stock in the US, it was August and Italy shuts down for a month so it took him a long time to get that part. He was frosted. Meh, that's Italians for ya.

With Moto Guzzi's you should be willing to do a lot of wrenching on your own. Mostly because dealers, good ones, are few and far between. Wildguzzi forum is a great resource for you. If you are the sort of fellow that at the most does oil changes and the Guzzi dealer is not in the same town I'd say pass. That said, they are pretty darn easy to work on. Valves are right out in the open, screw and lock nut. Pop the valve covers, open the flywheel inspection port and if you are slow it's a half our job. Experienced guys can do it in a few minutes. No shims!

My first Guzzi was a 2000 Quota, had an offer on it so I sold it, mainly because bits like tupperware were becoming unobtainium. Basic mechanicals were easy to source though.

A word of warning. Guzzi's are slow to warm to you. Short test rides don't seem to be favorable, but longer ones, 50+ miles seems to convert folks hard. Well, if you are the Guzzi type. :) Kinda cool not to see your bike everywhere too.
Thank you! That's very helpful.

I've never owned a European bike, much less a Moto Guzzi. I can do maintenance, including shims. As long as parts are reasonably priced and available I should be OK.

I may have a look at that V7. My first hurdle is fit - I'm built like a T-Rex (6'2", 36" inseam).
 
Some Moto Guzzis have a problem with defective fuel filters. As in most fuel injected bikes it's located in the tank. The filter is made of plastic and swells to the point of bursting after a while causing a total loss of fuel pressure. I had the dealer pull the tank on my '06 Breva 1100 to inspect the filter and it had swollen like a balloon. The tech replaced it with a Wix steel filter. They kept plenty on hand. I liked my Breva very much but it was plagued by electrical problems. The instruments were a mix of analog speedo and tach and digital display screen. The digital screen would sometimes go blank on sunny days but come back on after stopping and restarting the motor. I also had constant problems with the CARC (shaft drive) weeping oil,
at times enough to oil the rear disc but usually just a seep. The leak would come and go, strange. If not for these problems I would have kept it. The seat was the best stock bike seat around and the bike was very comfortable for all day touring. Guzzi's have a "feel" that is unique and I can understand those who are willing to put up with their quirks to enjoy their many plusses.
 
redbirds_imp said:
Some Moto Guzzis have a problem with defective fuel filters. As in most fuel injected bikes it's located in the tank. The filter is made of plastic and swells to the point of bursting after a while causing a total loss of fuel pressure. I had the dealer pull the tank on my '06 Breva 1100 to inspect the filter and it had swollen like a balloon. The tech replaced it with a Wix steel filter. They kept plenty on hand. I liked my Breva very much but it was plagued by electrical problems. The instruments were a mix of analog speedo and tach and digital display screen. The digital screen would sometimes go blank on sunny days but come back on after stopping and restarting the motor. I also had constant problems with the CARC (shaft drive) weeping oil,
at times enough to oil the rear disc but usually just a seep. The leak would come and go, strange. If not for these problems I would have kept it. The seat was the best stock bike seat around and the bike was very comfortable for all day touring. Guzzi's have a "feel" that is unique and I can understand those who are willing to put up with their quirks to enjoy their many plusses.
On second thought maybe I'll stick to Triumph for my first Eurotrash bike. :)

Ducati's just don't fit me. Doesn't matter because every owner I've talked to complains about what a pain in the ass they are.

BMW probably fit me the best but I can't get into their asymmetrical design theme. I've also heard parts are ridiculous. The R1100S is the only BMW that has ever caught my eye but they're enormous and packed full of crap I just don't want.
 
Rboe_imp said:
It seems to me many of the guys that bought then sold their CB's were expecting a Camaro but got a Caprice instead. With resources like this forum that is just not doing due diligence, no fault of the bike at all. She is pretty much just what Honda wanted to put out there; and for many of the folks that bought her, just what we were looking for. I'm a bit surprised, being aging Boomers, there aren't more of us.

If Honda built a classic vertical twin like the old CB450 I'd be quite keen on getting one of those too.

Another "retro" bike but with EFI is the Moto Guzzi V7. Shaft drive, light, screw adjusted valve tappets - and right out there in the open so easy peasy to work on. Many complain about its' "low" horse power but she is a light bike and if your belt still have plenty of expansion holes, it will put a big grin on your face. My old 550 KX only had about 50 horses and she put me in the hospital several times and one speeding ticket. :)

There are lots of bikes out there to choose from; if a particular machine does not do it for you I'm sure one of the others will. It's also very hard to find a bad bike. Most are built very well and complaints typically revolve around nit pics, not true debacles. I submit that in general there are no bad bikes, just riders that picked the wrong bike. Get divorced and keep looking! :D
I like that comparison. I'm not a young guy or a new rider; and popping wheelies was never my thing. A legal-limit cruiser, with stock muffler, was always my thing.

I hate to think of it as a Caprice; but it's probably fitting. If I wanted competition there's a whole array of Ninjas and other like models. My back hurts just thinking about that crouched posture...

I would have liked more power; but it's not a deal-breaker. I can beat traffic at lights; and that's all I need. I can make it go fast enough I think I'm getting blown off.

I'm suited. Even in the day, few street racers had the guts to open up their 750s. I only broke 100 twice; once five years ago on a BMW GS on an empty South Dakota road; and once as a new rider, thirty years ago, intoxicated and riding.

Twice is enough. More than enough. I'm glad that bike, time and money to do it, all came together.
 
The ferret_imp said:
pearsonm said "I think that illustrates what a great job Triumph did with the Bonneville T100 platform."

Triumph purists don't think they did such a stellar job, and will point out the gas tank is out of proportion, the pipes are all wrong, no space around the motor, and it's slower than the original. It's brakes are poor, seat horrible and handling only fair, and many don't care that the FI is disguised as carburetors.

I will give credit to Triumph for making the retro popular again. Then again, at the time they were basically the only game in town besides the Royal Enfield and Kawasaki W 650.

Many of us on this board bought Triumph Bonneville T-100's (my self included) and sold them to get this CB 1100.
I sold my T-100 and much prefer the CB1100.

Chip
 
Thread starter
Don't get me wrong guys, I'm very happy with the bike. Truly happy, just need a little getting used to the more relaxed life style of the bike. In regards to the power, was just expecting a 2014 bike with over 1100 CC to have a little more kick. I have a 900lb touring bike, full tour pack so I'm used to the laid back cruise mode. I just never really thought a modern inline 4 would be capped at 112mph. I also understand that the motor is more than capable to exceed that just don't know why they won't let us have it out of the box. I like to have the option to be a little aggressive if i want. Still love the bike and when I'm up around the Max I think it will be enough to keep me happy. I know some of the guys here are not to keen on playing around the 100+ mark but on the highway passing trucks and keeping my distance from the crowd of cagers I like to get up in the higher zone and create my distance. On my Z1000 I would be up over 140 with a simple twist within seconds and back down within seconds as well. Like I said just getting used to it and its all good.
Also, by no means am I comparing this bike to my old Z1000. I know its two totally different animals just saying a top speed of 120 to 125 would have been ideal for me. I went to this bike for the styling and comfort plus reliability and uniqueness it offers so I will get over the speed thing and eventually it will be a safer and wiser choice for me.
 
Honda may have built in the speed limitation because of the OE tires. Anyway, a higher top speed is easily had with a re-flash of the ECU as described on other posts.
 
we have discussed this before but for the benefit of those new to the board. The bike was originally intended for Japanese home market. Japan has a domestic national speed limit of 180 kms or 112 mph and the bikes ECU was set up for that. ALL bikes sold in the Japanese market are so enabled. Even the Kaw Z1000. Even the new R1M Yamaha. It's their law.

Most mfgs use a different ECU for exported bikes but ALL motorcycles outside of Japan are electronically speed limited by the European agreement of 187 mph. The race is how fast they can get to 187 mph. There are 200 hp bikes, but there are not 200 mph bikes, even if the mfgs are capable of producing them.

Why Honda chose to ship this one outside the US with the Japanese Domestic limit of 180 kmh is anyone's guess, but my guess is the nature of the riders Honda was going to sell it to. Their targeted demographic. I can imagine a discussion where engineers said "are we going to de-restrict this bike?" And another said "why? old guys are going to buy it. If anyone wants to go faster, they can buy our CBR 1000 which will go 170 mph."
 
The ferret_imp said:
we have discussed this before but for the benefit of those new to the board. The bike was originally intended for Japanese home market. Japan has a domestic national speed limit of 180 kms or 112 mph and the bikes ECU was set up for that. ALL bikes sold in the Japanese market are so enabled. Even the Kaw Z1000. Even the new R1M Yamaha. It's their law.

Most mfgs use a different ECU for exported bikes but ALL motorcycles outside of Japan are electronically speed limited by the European agreement of 187 mph. The race is how fast they can get to 187 mph. There are 200 hp bikes, but there are not 200 mph bikes, even if the mfgs are capable of producing them.

Why Honda chose to ship this one outside the US with the Japanese Domestic limit of 180 kmh is anyone's guess, but my guess is the nature of the riders Honda was going to sell it to. Their targeted demographic. I can imagine a discussion where engineers said "are we going to de-restrict this bike?" And another said "why? old guys are going to buy it. If anyone wants to go faster, they can buy our CBR 1000 which will go 170 mph."
Exactly. There are plenty of choices to buy to go faster.

If anyone is really all that disappointed in their CB100 then shame on them for not doing their due diligence before buying. Don't blame Honda for producing exactly the bike they set out to produce.
 
Thread starter
You can read and watch all the reviews you want and talk to whoever you want. Nobody was talking about or advertising that the bike has a speed limiter of 112mph. I've been riding for 26 years and had over 20 bikes and never heard of this so don't say shame on anyone. Your statements are as rediculous as the speed limiter. Not everyone has to be 60+ to want this bike, some wantitfor the cool Retro look and modern touches, expecting an 1100 to have some balls, not have the same capability of a 500cc bike. My riding capabilities far exceed the speed limiter.
 
Now...not trying to fan flames...but...

...WHY would someone want to ride this bike faster than 112?

Not A bike. THIS bike...with no fairings; heavy chassis; soft suspension.

Why? There are lighter, faired crotch-rockets that'll do 160. The BMW boxers, any of them, will do 140 and are limited by the redline.

A naked bike, over a hundred...there's a serious chance of being blown off!
 
The speed limiter has been mentioned in at least one published magazine review and there are several threads about it on this forum. I must say, though, that I didn't know about it before I bought my bike. Then again, it's not something I was worried about in the least. 14000 miles and I've had my CB to something close to 100 (I was a little afraid to look down to be sure) just once. I like to pass other vehicles as quickly as possible, especially trucks, but have never approached the speeds that some of you hit regularly.

Yes, it is anyone's guess as to why Honda decided to ship bikes to the U.S. with the speed limiter--mine is that it was expedient for them to do so.

As to "shame", I would say to uscgmac that if the speed limiter would of been a deal breaker had you known, then that's a shame. The good news is that there's a relatively easy fix for it. It sounds like you otherwise like the bike a lot, so maybe it was a good thing you didn't know about the limiter before you bought.

Now, it's 60+ here and I think I will ride for a bit. Not a chance I'm going to hit the ton today, that is for sure :)
 
Back
Top