Retro bikes, comparison.

Yeah, well, Honda didn't go the replica route and wound up with a better motorcycle as result.

I'm also not at all convinced that Honda sold fewer CB1100s than they expected to sell in the US. I know that my dealer sold his inventory and replenished it twice and sold all of those bikes, too. Not sure how many total, but there aren't any in his showroom now. But let's say for the sake of discussion that sales numbers are low here; I would sincerely doubt that the look of the bike had much if anything to do with it. In all the published articles on the bike, only one person referred to the looks of the bike in anything but glowing terms. Judging by how many people have stopped CB1100 riders to say how beautiful their bike is, Honda's "committee" did a fine job.
 
I think the big Japanese Muscle Bike retros like the Kawi ZRX, Suzuki GS1400, Yamaha FJ1300 and Honda's own Cb1300 are not precise, direct competitors to the CB1100. And I so wish they were imported to the U.S. The CB1100 is more of a 'GT' and relaxed, which is great. But the big bore nakeds, with '80's cues, are fantastic and have their own charm.
 
Capo_imp said:
I think the big Japanese Muscle Bike retros like the Kawi ZRX, Suzuki GS1400, Yamaha FJ1300 and Honda's own Cb1300 are not precise, direct competitors to the CB1100. And I so wish they were imported to the U.S. The CB1100 is more of a 'GT' and relaxed, which is great. But the big bore nakeds, with '80's cues, are fantastic and have their own charm.
I think that illustrates what a great job Triumph did with the Bonneville T100 platform. The Thruxton, Scrambler and SE have all been successful in their own right. When compared against their former classic triple line - the Thunderbird, Legend and Adventurer - it's obvious that if you're going to market a retro bike you better get the look just right.

Of all the Japanese manufactures I believe Honda had the best opportunity to replicate Triumph with their own CB750K. Kawasaki could be successful with a KZ1000, although it may not be quite as versatile. Their ZRX sure had a great run, but then it was a great looking bike with modern performance all at a great price.
 
Agreed, Pearsonm, I had a ZRX and really dug it, but sold it to fund another purchase. Not sure if I did the right thing, that was a ballsy, beautiful bike.
 
Honda won't stop producing the CB1100 DLX as long as the niche market remains profitable. Will a 2016 DLX include digitally controlled suspension, traction control, updated LED lighting, heated grips as standard?

Honda is the most successful motorcycle manufacturer in the world.
 
sig_a_imp said:
Honda won't stop producing the CB1100 DLX as long as the niche market remains profitable. Will a 2016 DLX include digitally controlled suspension, traction control, updated LED lighting, heated grips as standard?

Honda is the most successful motorcycle manufacturer in the world.
Their problem is their bike guy, Soricho, has left the building.
 
pearsonm, maybe you should pick yourself up a Bonneville. Way too many things wrong with our CBs, not to mention Honda itself.
 
pearsonm said "I think that illustrates what a great job Triumph did with the Bonneville T100 platform."

Triumph purists don't think they did such a stellar job, and will point out the gas tank is out of proportion, the pipes are all wrong, no space around the motor, and it's slower than the original. It's brakes are poor, seat horrible and handling only fair, and many don't care that the FI is disguised as carburetors.

I will give credit to Triumph for making the retro popular again. Then again, at the time they were basically the only game in town besides the Royal Enfield and Kawasaki W 650.

Many of us on this board bought Triumph Bonneville T-100's (my self included) and sold them to get this CB 1100.
 
sig_a_imp said:
Honda won't stop producing the CB1100 DLX as long as the niche market remains profitable. Will a 2016 DLX include digitally controlled suspension, traction control, updated LED lighting, heated grips as standard?

Honda is the most successful motorcycle manufacturer in the world.
I hate to think I'm old fashioned just because I'm old, but I think a strong reason I own a CB1100 (non-ABS) is because it doesn't have digital suspension, traction control, etc. It is a straight-forward, simple bike that responds to my inputs alone.

It is also likely a reason for the success of the Bonnevilles, the continued appeal of BMW oilheads and the resurgence of airheads, and for that matter, the whole chopperbobbercafe movement.

Electronic ignition, fuel injection sometimes, maybe even ABS, advances in metalurgy, manufacturing and design, okay, but my line in the sand is drawn at that. For bikes anyway. High tech in cars - great, as long as it works reliably. But my car lives outside, the bikes own the garage.
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
I think Honda captured the retro look better than the Yamaha. To me, from the rear of the engine back looks too modern. JMO.
The irony there is that the Yamaha SR400 is NOT a replica - it's a continuation.

I had a 1981 SR500. The machine never made it in the States - this when electric-start was becoming the New Normal that no successful model could be without. Mine was in dealer inventory new for five years and was sold heavily marked down - $999 in 1986. Since I was a new rider and my training bike was kick-start, that, to me, was normal - and what I wanted.

The SR was good and bad. Great handling and light and quick - I don't remember wishing I had a bigger engine; I'd cruise the thing at 70...that was in the era of the Double-Nickel; that was plenty fast. Even then I wasn't into street racing. But the thumper vibration...my previous was a twin.

But the SR 500, with its motocross engine put into a street chassis, was clean-sheet modern in 1978. And as it continued in Europe and Asia, it just never was modernized. So...what we're seeing with the SR would be as if VW had just brought the old Type I Beetle...BACK.

I would love to have had one. Did look at one. But while the SR is apparently forever, I'm now old and grey and not wild about the elaborate kick-start routine.
 
pekingduck_imp said:
sig_a_imp said:
Honda won't stop producing the CB1100 DLX as long as the niche market remains profitable. Will a 2016 DLX include digitally controlled suspension, traction control, updated LED lighting, heated grips as standard?

Honda is the most successful motorcycle manufacturer in the world.
I hate to think I'm old fashioned just because I'm old, but I think a strong reason I own a CB1100 (non-ABS) is because it doesn't have digital suspension, traction control, etc. It is a straight-forward, simple bike that responds to my inputs alone.

It is also likely a reason for the success of the Bonnevilles, the continued appeal of BMW oilheads and the resurgence of airheads, and for that matter, the whole chopperbobbercafe movement.

Electronic ignition, fuel injection sometimes, maybe even ABS, advances in metalurgy, manufacturing and design, okay, but my line in the sand is drawn at that. For bikes anyway. High tech in cars - great, as long as it works reliably. But my car lives outside, the bikes own the garage.
I hate to think I'm old fashioned just because I'm old, but I think a strong reason I own a CB1100 (non-ABS) is because it doesn't have digital suspension, traction control, etc. It is a straight-forward, simple bike that responds to my inputs alone.

It is also likely a reason for the success of the Bonnevilles, the continued appeal of BMW oilheads and the resurgence of airheads, and for that matter, the whole chopperbobbercafe movement.

Electronic ignition, fuel injection sometimes, maybe even ABS, advances in metalurgy, manufacturing and design, okay, but my line in the sand is drawn at that. For bikes anyway. Cars, technology - great, as long as it works. But the car sits outside, the bikes own the garage.
+1 and well said.
 
Thread starter
I'm really not a fan of the Bonnie except for the thruxton. They are ugly as heck and they went real cheap on alot of parts. I had an 09 triumph America which had plastic fenders, cheap laquer coated forks which peeled. The fake Carb covers with a really cheap plastic, wires not neatly tied up, just hanging all over. The bike was all plastic and cheap feeling. This cb1100 we have is put together real nice and looks great. The only thing I don't like is that it should have gone with modern tire sizes and no speed limiter. I'm OK with it all, more and more I have to understand what I really have. I got rid of my naked sport bike because I wanted a more relaxed ride and something with some cool factor and heritage. I guess I'm still used to that sport bike speed, lol. My 2013 Z1000 was an animal compared to the CB so I'm still adjusting. Nobody ever stopped to look at my Z1000, the other day I couldn't even get near my bike because of all the old timers gathered around my bike talking about the old days.:D
 
Pearsonm,

Have you noticed that just about every one of your posts since you joined has been to either ask about how to change the look of the CB1100 to that of a 750, complain about how Honda didn't get the look of the CB1100 right because they should have copied the 750 more closely, or complain that other manufacturers got their retro bikes look better than Honda did?

I think you're at the wrong forum. There's several other ones that cater to owners and aficionados of the 70s and 80s Hondas. Not that you're not welcome here. Its just that those of us that understand and are happy with what Honda was trying to do with the CB1100 don't like constantly hearing how "wrong" our bikes are.
 
Thread starter
My only complaint is that I thought engine wise I was getting a modern Retro in the terms of at least having equal if not more HP than the bikes from the 70s. I wasn't expecting a top speed with a speed limiter of 112mph. I know ecu can be reflashed but at what cost and sounds like a pia. Modern bike with modern power for an 1100 would have been nice. I would have expected it to be in par with at least a 600 super sport but guess that was wish full thinking. I love the bike just needs some more twist and go.
Hence the term modern classic Retro. If i wanted a classic rebuilt then could have bought a classic. I would like the Retro look with the modern performance. Just like the new challengers, chargers, mustangs. Modern retros with gobs of modern HP and technology.
 
uscgmac_imp said:
My only complaint is that I thought engine wise I was getting a modern Retro in the terms of at least having equal if not more HP than the bikes from the 70s. I wasn't expecting a top speed with a speed limiter of 112mph. I know ecu can be reflashed but at what cost and sounds like a pia. Modern bike with modern power for an 1100 would have been nice. I would have expected it to be in par with at least a 600 super sport but guess that was wish full thinking. I love the bike just needs some more twist and go.
Hence the term modern classic Retro. If i wanted a classic rebuilt then could have bought a classic. I would like the Retro look with the modern performance. Just like the new challengers, chargers, mustangs. Modern retros with gobs of modern HP and technology.
Unfortunately, in this age of hyper-regulation, of catalytic converters on cycles and worries about venting the gas tank...in this age where the Gold Wing has airbags, and probably soon other bikes...when there's computer controls on the engines as THE only way to meet emissions standards...

...then there's going to be pressure to use those same computer controls to limit top speed. Just be glad it wasn't maxed out at 72 or an even-more ridiculous lower number.
 
I respect your opinion. But I think you classically had different expectations and then the cb could never meet them.
For me. I expected What I got and love it.
Do j still need 3-4 other bikes to fill other needs? Yepp. But for my around town standard duty riding with retro looks and reliably performance and plenty of go when I need it the CB is the perfect ticket. Similar performance and riding character to my triumph speedmaster 865.

For me it's just right.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I think I may have preferred a classic 750 style gas tank. But I appreciated the overall effort put in by Honda to bring this CB to production. I'm not whining that I bought something not what I originally wanted it to be. I know what Honda was doing, recreating a style, a look, an era, not one single bike. Maybe because Honda realized you can't please everyone.

Maybe Honda put the 112MPH speed limiter on it because they knew mostly old guys like me would be drawn to this bike and they didn't want us to hurt ourselves.
 
uscgmac_imp said:
My only complaint is that I thought engine wise I was getting a modern Retro in the terms of at least having equal if not more HP than the bikes from the 70s. I wasn't expecting a top speed with a speed limiter of 112mph. I know ecu can be reflashed but at what cost and sounds like a pia. Modern bike with modern power for an 1100 would have been nice. I would have expected it to be in par with at least a 600 super sport but guess that was wish full thinking. I love the bike just needs some more twist and go.
Hence the term modern classic Retro. If i wanted a classic rebuilt then could have bought a classic. I would like the Retro look with the modern performance. Just like the new challengers, chargers, mustangs. Modern retros with gobs of modern HP and technology.
The 112 mph top speed is not an issue for most of us.

To reflash the ecu... unplug the old one, send it in with a money order for $300 or so, they keep it a day, reprogram it, send it back, you plug it back in. All rev and speed limiters removed. Top speed about 135, revs to about 9 grand in every gear.
 
It is a welcome to everyone and myself that is into the late 70's early 80's superbikes to see yamaha with their XJR1300 and hopefully kawasaki with their 1200 zrx daeg to come to our shores eventually. But right now I am happy with my CB1100 and if I had alot of money I would love to get the cb1100 DLX as a stable mate . I am surprised though that some of us are quite surprised to find out the limitations the cb1100 has after purchase...
 
pearsonm_imp said:
sig_a_imp said:
Honda won't stop producing the CB1100 DLX as long as the niche market remains profitable. Will a 2016 DLX include digitally controlled suspension, traction control, updated LED lighting, heated grips as standard?

Honda is the most successful motorcycle manufacturer in the world.
Their problem is their bike guy, Soricho, has left the building.
Their problem is their bike guy, Soricho, has left the building.
If you're referring to founder Soichiro Honda, he's been gone since 1991.

Interesting reading his NYT obituary here:

Soichiro Honda, Auto Innovator, Is Dead at 84 (Published 1991)

Honda manufactures more engines than any other manufacturer in the world.
 
Back
Top