Retro bikes, comparison.

uscgmac_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I've been reading reviews of our bikes and watching YouTube videos and saw the motorcycle.com video. Great review except for the fact that out bike is like 6k less than the motor guzzi and BMW 9t. Those other bikes are great but a little out of my range for this being my second bike. I've noticed that the cb1100 was the only one to be really a Retro roadster and the other two bikes were very modern. The lines on our bike are incredible, hard to notice a difference from a distance from the older cb750. But what really got me was in the comment section someone commented about another Retro bike not yet offered in the states, the xjr1300 by Yamaha. All I can say is wow. If that bike was offered here for a comparative price it would be a very tough choice. I really love the looks of that Yamaha. After seeing our bike compared to the triumphs, we have that one down pat. Now lets see if Kawi does a Retro kz1000. This is really the trend of today, Retro is in.
 
Thread starter
Thats one of the things i like about it, it looks like a custom retro. touch of today, touch of yesterday. Looks like a real sporty version of a retro.
 
When I bought my Griso is was $12.5K, it's still under $13k, List price it is less than 3grand more than the CB. For that 3 grand you get better suspension bits, more HP and an Italian Stallion. :D The R9T is a bit pricier. And certainly more of a retro than the Griso - why they put the Griso in those comparisons is beyond me. A Bonnie, the W800, a TU250, all make better choices.
 
Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
When I bought my Griso is was $12.5K, it's still under $13k, List price it is less than 3grand more than the CB. For that 3 grand you get better suspension bits, more HP and an Italian Stallion. :D The R9T is a bit pricier. And certainly more of a retro than the Griso - why they put the Griso in those comparisons is beyond me. A Bonnie, the W800, a TU250, all make better choices.
They put them in the same class due to the displacement but they are pretty far apart otherwise. Price wise, not 3k apart. Motor guzzi is still 12.5k and my new Cb1100 was 8200 brand new. That's a $4300 difference.
 
uscgmac_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
When I bought my Griso is was $12.5K, it's still under $13k, List price it is less than 3grand more than the CB. For that 3 grand you get better suspension bits, more HP and an Italian Stallion. :D The R9T is a bit pricier. And certainly more of a retro than the Griso - why they put the Griso in those comparisons is beyond me. A Bonnie, the W800, a TU250, all make better choices.
They put them in the same class due to the displacement but they are pretty far apart otherwise. Price wise, not 3k apart. Motor guzzi is still 12.5k and my new Cb1100 was 8200 brand new. That's a $4300 difference.
They put them in the same class due to the displacement but they are pretty far apart otherwise. Price wise, not 3k apart. Motor guzzi is still 12.5k and my new Cb1100 was 8200 brand new. That's a $4300 difference.
And the guy that gets the Griso for $11200 OTD will tell you it's a 3K difference.

OTD prices are different for everyone. Part of me wishes I payed the extra 3K over my CB and got a Griso. Shoot me...
 
Thread starter
kevbroce_imp said:
uscgmac_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
When I bought my Griso is was $12.5K, it's still under $13k, List price it is less than 3grand more than the CB. For that 3 grand you get better suspension bits, more HP and an Italian Stallion. :D The R9T is a bit pricier. And certainly more of a retro than the Griso - why they put the Griso in those comparisons is beyond me. A Bonnie, the W800, a TU250, all make better choices.
They put them in the same class due to the displacement but they are pretty far apart otherwise. Price wise, not 3k apart. Motor guzzi is still 12.5k and my new Cb1100 was 8200 brand new. That's a $4300 difference.
They put them in the same class due to the displacement but they are pretty far apart otherwise. Price wise, not 3k apart. Motor guzzi is still 12.5k and my new Cb1100 was 8200 brand new. That's a $4300 difference.
And the guy that gets the Griso for $11200 OTD will tell you it's a 3K difference.

OTD prices are different for everyone. Part of me wishes I payed the extra 3K over my CB and got a Griso. Shoot me...
They put them in the same class due to the displacement but they are pretty far apart otherwise. Price wise, not 3k apart. Motor guzzi is still 12.5k and my new Cb1100 was 8200 brand new. That's a $4300 difference.
And the guy that gets the Griso for $11200 OTD will tell you it's a 3K difference.

OTD prices are different for everyone. Part of me wishes I payed the extra 3K over my CB and got a Griso. Shoot me... I'm saying I paid 8200.00 for the bike new two weeks ago. 8200.00, tax, DMV reg and 200.00 set up, freight, fees. Done. Forget about all that out the door price stuff, the bike was 8200.00. The same exact fees I would pay at any other dealer anywhere. If i bought the motoguzzi it would be 12,995 plus those fees as well. Nobody is getting the griso for 11 and change, already inquired.
Now if the motorguzzi griso was 11,200 I would be posting on their forum right now. Was also comtemplating getting the Ducati 821 monster or possibly an Indian scout. I went with this bike because it looks cool and the price was more than right. I don't think I would pay msrp for the cb1100 but for 8200.00 its a fine bike and I'll give it a year and see how I feel then. I have changed a lot of bikes after a season if I'm not happy with it or something else comes out that I want.
 
uscgmac_imp said:
I've been reading reviews of our bikes and watching YouTube videos and saw the motorcycle.com video. Great review except for the fact that out bike is like 6k less than the motor guzzi and BMW 9t. Those other bikes are great but a little out of my range for this being my second bike. I've noticed that the cb1100 was the only one to be really a Retro roadster and the other two bikes were very modern. The lines on our bike are incredible, hard to notice a difference from a distance from the older cb750. But what really got me was in the comment section someone commented about another Retro bike not yet offered in the states, the xjr1300 by Yamaha. All I can say is wow. If that bike was offered here for a comparative price it would be a very tough choice. I really love the looks of that Yamaha. After seeing our bike compared to the triumphs, we have that one down pat. Now lets see if Kawi does a Retro kz1000. This is really the trend of today, Retro is in.
Love the XJR...If hey bring it state side, it will join the cb in the garage and under my butt....
 
Only ever be one space for a modern classic in our garage - and the CB1100 has it. An R1200RT may join it some day (great lightweight ST once BMW gets the kinks worked out). And/or a VFR800X if Honda ever brings some here. (Great go anywhere bike [I would suppose] with that great V4 thing happenin'.)
 
Thread starter
I'm a little disappointed to find out that our cb1100 has a rev limiter of about 6500rpms and stopps at 112 MPH. Why have a red line of 8500 and a speed which reads 120 if there is no chance of reaching it. My 900 lb Harley Ultra does that if not better. Cb1100 is still a real nice bike but now reminds me of a scooter with a governer on it.
 
Thread starter
Elipten_imp said:
Reflash can fix all of that


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I was just trying to read up on that. I found some older posts which stated there was no reflash for this bike. Can you confirm that there is a reflash and is it available at the dealer or is it a custom thing.
 
uscgmac_imp said:
Elipten_imp said:
Reflash can fix all of that


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I was just trying to read up on that. I found some older posts which stated there was no reflash for this bike. Can you confirm that there is a reflash and is it available at the dealer or is it a custom thing.
Not dealer thing. Don Guhl at Guhl Motors does the reflash. Here's a thread about it : ECU from Guhls/Dyno ready

Not sure why your rev limiter would kick in at 6500. Mine doesn't kick in until above 8K rpm, which is not a problem for me. If you review the dyno charts for this bike, you'll see that power peaks at around 7300 rpm and starts falling off from there. Not much benefit to going higher.

Personally, I don't care for the speed limiter and have bounced off of it a couple of times, but so far it hasn't bothered me to the point of pulling the ECU and paying to have the limiter removed.
 
Thread starter
Must be the speed limiter, not rev limiter. In 6th gear at 112 MPH the bike was at about 6500 rpm and bike just stopped pulling. The rpms just bounced off that point and that was it. In a lower gear I'm sure the rmps would be higher.
 
uscgmac_imp said:
Must be the speed limiter, not rev limiter. In 6th gear at 112 MPH the bike was at about 6500 rpm and bike just stopped pulling. The rpms just bounced off that point and that was it. In a lower gear I'm sure the rmps would be higher.
Yep. At 112 MPH the speed limiter kicks in no matter what the rpm is. Not sure about the '14 models with different gearing, but on the '13 you will always hit the speed limiter in 4th or 5th before you get to the rev limiter.
 
Ever hear the joke 'Know what a camel is? It’s a horse, designed by committee'.

That’s what I think of when I look at the new CB1000. It looks like one department wanted an early CB750, another wanted a late CB750 and another wanted a CB1100. The early 750 guys got to pick the fenders, the late 750 guys picked out the wheels and the 1100 guys got the gas tank.

Personally I would have stuck with the 750 and gone with an F-model theme but I would be satisfied had they picked one design and stuck to it.

Regarding retro bikes in general, it’s the late 70’s/early 80’s Superbikes that get my blood pumping. Kawasaki updated the ZRX in ’09 but they haven’t imported it. I’d love for Honda or Suzuki to beat them to the punch with a Freddie Spencer or Wes Cooley replica.
 
That’s what I think of when I look at the new CB1000. It looks like one department wanted an early CB750, another wanted a late CB750 and another wanted a CB1100. The early 750 guys got to pick the fenders, the late 750 guys picked out the wheels and the 1100 guys got the gas tank.

Pearsonm... The bike wasn't designed to look like any one model but as a homage to all the great inlines that made Honda famous and loved by motorcyclists all over the world. Had they designed it to look like just one model it would have alienated all the fans of the other models. We all see a little bit of our favorite models in the CB1100 and many modify it to more closely resemble their personal favorites. there is even body work available that resembles the 750F that you seem to favor. Body work and exhausts to resemble the early 750/4's. I even saw one that resembled a CBX. One of our members has one with a striking resemblance to the CB 700s Nighthawk.
 
The ferret_imp said:
That’s what I think of when I look at the new CB1000. It looks like one department wanted an early CB750, another wanted a late CB750 and another wanted a CB1100. The early 750 guys got to pick the fenders, the late 750 guys picked out the wheels and the 1100 guys got the gas tank.

Pearsonm... The bike wasn't designed to look like any one model but as a homage to all the great inlines that made Honda famous and loved by motorcyclists all over the world. Had they designed it to look like just one model it would have alienated all the fans of the other models. We all see a little bit of our favorite models in the CB1100 and many modify it to more closely resemble their personal favorites. there is even body work available that resembles the 750F that you seem to favor. Body work and exhausts to resemble the early 750/4's. I even saw one that resembled a CBX. One of our members has one with a striking resemblance to the CB 700s Nighthawk.
Yes, ferret, I'm quite aware of that. My point is that Honda may have missed the mark while trying to mash together such subtle yet disparate styling cues. All the leftover '13's sitting on the floor while Bonneville's continue to sell is evidence that others may feel the same way. Considering what '69 through '76 K-models and Whitehorse kits go for I sure wouldn't bet against a modern, faithful replica.
 
Back
Top