Retirement

michael1954

Been there
Thread starter
Hi Forum friends. I have been absent for the last month. Just retired after 34 years as an educator in the Lone Star State. Been too hot to ride much, and it has been a lot more work than I could have imagined. Trying to clean out a room I have taught out of for 16 years! I also bought a 1980 Suzuki GS750E that needs a little work on the calipers before I ride it. http://cb1100forum.com/forum/images/smilies/biker.gif Hey, I think I might have time now! Also planning on picking up a really nice 1982 Suzuki GS1100E that needs NO work done to it or on it.
Will show the Forum both when they are presentable, or in the case of the 1100, in my possession. Anyone out there have much thoughts about either one of these 'old' bikes? Going back to the carb days. The 750 fires right up, after I pull the Choke knob. I forgot all about that kind of stuff. I guess I am going forward in time with my life, and backwards with my bikes. Trying to re-live my youth again, and ride bikes I can actually 'work' on.
I will have many questions for all of you soon. Thanks for already being there, Michael in way TOO hot south Texas.
 
Congratulations on the retirement! I'm headed into my 15th year teaching 7th and 8th grade science. I'm thinking you are not going to miss all the "fun" this year. ha!
 
Congrats on the retirement! I'm hoping that day arrives in a couple of years.

My dad had a 1981 GS1100E that I ended up bringing to Texas with me when I was in college. This is the bike when he first bought it.

a985da14926d1d5fd802d08667790c68.jpg


He went on to trick it out with some fairing work and took it on a trip around Europe.

02ff2c0729cb4b2f59355a93c66434fc.jpg


It was a great bike. If I recall correctly, it was one of, if not the fastest production bike for the time. I remember having a hard time keeping the front wheel on the ground in 1st gear until the fairing--and even then it was very easy to do wheelies.

Envious that you've found one in good condition! Enjoy it.
 
Congratulations on retirement, from a noble profession too!

Both of those bikes were/are superb bikes, very easy to work on and reliable. Pull the tank off with one bolt, and the valve cover is right there. No shims, just threaded tappets like a Honda 90. The brittle cardboard valve cover gasket that bakes to the head and cover surfaces is the worst part of it.

I was Service Manager at a Suzuki dealer then and recall a few of the 1100s had warped rotor issues. Stator windings and especially regulators were other areas of concern. I would at least flush the braking systems on both, but expect to rebuild them as a precaution. Then you're good for another 10-20 years.
 
Congratulations on your retirement, Michael. I hope you don’t find the transition too painful. Enjoy the new bikes.
 
pekingduck_imp said:
Congratulations on retirement, from a noble profession too!

Both of those bikes were/are superb bikes, very easy to work on and reliable. Pull the tank off with one bolt, and the valve cover is right there. No shims, just threaded tappets like a Honda 90. The brittle cardboard valve cover gasket that bakes to the head and cover surfaces is the worst part of it.

I was Service Manager at a Suzuki dealer then and recall a few of the 1100s had warped rotor issues. Stator windings and especially regulators were other areas of concern. I would at least flush the braking systems on both, but expect to rebuild them as a precaution. Then you're good for another 10-20 years.
Thin rotors?

My theory is that warped rotors are generally a result of a long hard stop, with the brakes applied during the cooling cycle, so that areas where pads contact remain heated longer and cool at a slower rate.

If I need to make a high speed panic stop, I try to let off the brakes during cool-down.
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
Congratulations on retirement, from a noble profession too!

Both of those bikes were/are superb bikes, very easy to work on and reliable. Pull the tank off with one bolt, and the valve cover is right there. No shims, just threaded tappets like a Honda 90. The brittle cardboard valve cover gasket that bakes to the head and cover surfaces is the worst part of it.

I was Service Manager at a Suzuki dealer then and recall a few of the 1100s had warped rotor issues. Stator windings and especially regulators were other areas of concern. I would at least flush the braking systems on both, but expect to rebuild them as a precaution. Then you're good for another 10-20 years.
Thin rotors?

My theory is that warped rotors are generally a result of a long hard stop, with the brakes applied during the cooling cycle, so that areas where pads contact remain heated longer and cool at a slower rate.

If I need to make a high speed panic stop, I try to let off the brakes during cool-down.
Thin rotors?

My theory is that warped rotors are generally a result of a long hard stop, with the brakes applied during the cooling cycle, so that areas where pads contact remain heated longer and cool at a slower rate.

If I need to make a high speed panic stop, I try to let off the brakes during cool-down.
Hard to determine what the cause was, as they were customer bikes, and they deteriorated gradually. We would warranty them if we didn't see impact (Or Kryptonite) damage, but replacements were no better.

As I recall, it wasn't a problem on the 1980-81, or on later models so likely a manufacturing issue. 1979-80 Honda CB750F and CBX also had the same complaint to a lesser degree. For out-of-warranty customers I would take batches of them to be centerless ground. They came back perfect with no subsequent complaints, so likely a bad batch.
 
Thread starter
koehlerk_imp said:
Congratulations on the retirement! I'm headed into my 15th year teaching 7th and 8th grade science. I'm thinking you are not going to miss all the "fun" this year. ha!
Thanks! The Covid was a big part of my retirement at this time of the year. Had Heart surgery 3 years ago, and my docs wanted away from so many people. Loved teaching, and I will miss it. Still going to tutor my AP Chemistry class for free from home at nights. I talked them into taking it and it is a difficult class. Kids keep you young! Got plenty of time to tinker on my bikes and car now!
Cormanus_imp said:
Congratulations on your retirement, Michael. I hope you don’t find the transition too painful. Enjoy the new bikes.
Thanks, the pain is trying to find time to schedule all the jobs I want to work on at home! Brake calipers on the GS750 1st.
pekingduck_imp said:
Congratulations on retirement, from a noble profession too!

Both of those bikes were/are superb bikes, very easy to work on and reliable. Pull the tank off with one bolt, and the valve cover is right there. No shims, just threaded tappets like a Honda 90. The brittle cardboard valve cover gasket that bakes to the head and cover surfaces is the worst part of it.

I was Service Manager at a Suzuki dealer then and recall a few of the 1100s had warped rotor issues. Stator windings and especially regulators were other areas of concern. I would at least flush the braking systems on both, but expect to rebuild them as a precaution. Then you're good for another 10-20 years.
Thanks. Any hints to a good pair of rear shocks for either GS. I am having trouble finding 'good' shocks that have that open clamp-like attachment area at the bottom, not an eyelet. I do not know what it is called, but most shocks seem to have a circular eyelet though.
TXBikerGuy_imp said:
Congrats on the retirement! I'm hoping that day arrives in a couple of years.

My dad had a 1981 GS1100E that I ended up bringing to Texas with me when I was in college. This is the bike when he first bought it.

a985da14926d1d5fd802d08667790c68.jpg


He went on to trick it out with some fairing work and took it on a trip around Europe.

02ff2c0729cb4b2f59355a93c66434fc.jpg


It was a great bike. If I recall correctly, it was one of, if not the fastest production bike for the time. I remember having a hard time keeping the front wheel on the ground in 1st gear until the fairing--and even then it was very easy to do wheelies.

Envious that you've found one in good condition! Enjoy it.
Really nice pixs. I will post both in time. I want to work on the 750 first, and I should get the 1100 at the end of the month. I read the 1100 was Bike of the year at Cycle World for 81' thru 83', and very fast. Cannot wait to compare it to my two 1100 Hondas.
Houtman_imp said:
Happy retirement , retirement was the best job I ever took after working hard all my life.
Thank you. I look forward to my next job. Life on my time.
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
Congratulations on retirement, from a noble profession too!

Both of those bikes were/are superb bikes, very easy to work on and reliable. Pull the tank off with one bolt, and the valve cover is right there. No shims, just threaded tappets like a Honda 90. The brittle cardboard valve cover gasket that bakes to the head and cover surfaces is the worst part of it.

I was Service Manager at a Suzuki dealer then and recall a few of the 1100s had warped rotor issues. Stator windings and especially regulators were other areas of concern. I would at least flush the braking systems on both, but expect to rebuild them as a precaution. Then you're good for another 10-20 years.
Thin rotors?

My theory is that warped rotors are generally a result of a long hard stop, with the brakes applied during the cooling cycle, so that areas where pads contact remain heated longer and cool at a slower rate.

If I need to make a high speed panic stop, I try to let off the brakes during cool-down.
Thin rotors?

My theory is that warped rotors are generally a result of a long hard stop, with the brakes applied during the cooling cycle, so that areas where pads contact remain heated longer and cool at a slower rate.

If I need to make a high speed panic stop, I try to let off the brakes during cool-down.
That theory is correct. I don't know if it is the general cause for warping, but it is a cause.

If you can, don't hold the brakes when hot. If you have to, do it on the rear only, which should be cooler than the front.
 
My wife and I were fairly involved in our son's eduction — volunteering often, chaperoning at times, leading book reading groups, always involved in school auctions and even rallying at our state's capitol when needed. As we watched our son progress through public school, my wife and I were always sure to let his teachers know just how much we appreciated them. Honestly, I was never sure that they ever truly knew just how much we really did value their service. Can't really call them simply "educators" any longer as in today's world so many parents seemingly expect teachers to do that job for them. (Over the years we have had, and continue to have, many teachers in our family so we've learned a lot from their experiences.)

With all that in mind, I hope that you'll first accept my sincere thanks for your chosen life's work. Secondly, please accept my congratulations on your retirement. With your work life now behind you, I hope that you are able to enjoy your retired life to the fullest. Of course I'm looking forward to learning more about your new (to you) motorcycles in the near future.
 
Congrats. Been 7 years for me. I do miss working sometimes ( not often) but freedom is liberating. Being able to do what you want when you want is a great reward. Cutting grass mid week during the day was really cool lol
 
The ferret_imp said:
Congrats. Been 7 years for me. I do miss working sometimes ( not often) but freedom is liberating. Being able to do what you want when you want is a great reward. Cutting grass mid week during the day was really cool lol
Hey! What? :cool:
 
Thread starter
Guth_imp said:
My wife and I were fairly involved in our son's eduction — volunteering often, chaperoning at times, leading book reading groups, always involved in school auctions and even rallying at our state's capitol when needed. As we watched our son progress through public school, my wife and I were always sure to let his teachers know just how much we appreciated them. Honestly, I was never sure that they ever truly knew just how much we really did value their service. Can't really call them simply "educators" any longer as in today's world so many parents seemingly expect teachers to do that job for them. (Over the years we have had, and continue to have, many teachers in our family so we've learned a lot from their experiences.)

With all that in mind, I hope that you'll first accept my sincere thanks for your chosen life's work. Secondly, please accept my congratulations on your retirement. With your work life now behind you, I hope that you are able to enjoy your retired life to the fullest. Of course I'm looking forward to learning more about your new (to you) motorcycles in the near future.
My heart felt thanks to all of you. I really appreciate this coming from people who's kids I did not even teach. I will miss the kids more than anything, and you are right about what we do with kids, helping them grow and cope with stuff we never had to. I miss them already. I watched my granddaughter's class from 1st grade to graduation this past May. What a joy to actually stay in one place, watching then at 6, and saying goodbye at 17/18. I was a tough, old-fashion teacher, that expected and demanded work be done when it was assigned to be done. But, you know, I had not filled out a discipline referral in years. I cannot even remember the last one. My kids were like my Family. Now they face an uncertain world. My prayers went with them. Again, Thanks, all of you here on the Forum. I am actually going to take a nap in the middle of the day!
Guth_imp said:
My wife and I were fairly involved in our son's eduction — volunteering often, chaperoning at times, leading book reading groups, always involved in school auctions and even rallying at our state's capitol when needed. As we watched our son progress through public school, my wife and I were always sure to let his teachers know just how much we appreciated them. Honestly, I was never sure that they ever truly knew just how much we really did value their service. Can't really call them simply "educators" any longer as in today's world so many parents seemingly expect teachers to do that job for them. (Over the years we have had, and continue to have, many teachers in our family so we've learned a lot from their experiences.)

With all that in mind, I hope that you'll first accept my sincere thanks for your chosen life's work. Secondly, please accept my congratulations on your retirement. With your work life now behind you, I hope that you are able to enjoy your retired life to the fullest. Of course I'm looking forward to learning more about your new (to you) motorcycles in the near future.
Thank you, and soon you will hear all about them. I have one question already. If I do not get enough responses here, I will ask in the Mechanical section, but does a drive chain have to be one, continuous chain, or can it have a Master-link?
 
michael1954_imp said:
koehlerk_imp said:
Congratulations on the retirement! I'm headed into my 15th year teaching 7th and 8th grade science. I'm thinking you are not going to miss all the "fun" this year. ha!
Thanks! The Covid was a big part of my retirement at this time of the year. Had Heart surgery 3 years ago, and my docs wanted away from so many people. Loved teaching, and I will miss it. Still going to tutor my AP Chemistry class for free from home at nights. I talked them into taking it and it is a difficult class. Kids keep you young! Got plenty of time to tinker on my bikes and car now!
Cormanus_imp said:
Congratulations on your retirement, Michael. I hope you don’t find the transition too painful. Enjoy the new bikes.
Thanks, the pain is trying to find time to schedule all the jobs I want to work on at home! Brake calipers on the GS750 1st.
pekingduck_imp said:
Congratulations on retirement, from a noble profession too!

Both of those bikes were/are superb bikes, very easy to work on and reliable. Pull the tank off with one bolt, and the valve cover is right there. No shims, just threaded tappets like a Honda 90. The brittle cardboard valve cover gasket that bakes to the head and cover surfaces is the worst part of it.

I was Service Manager at a Suzuki dealer then and recall a few of the 1100s had warped rotor issues. Stator windings and especially regulators were other areas of concern. I would at least flush the braking systems on both, but expect to rebuild them as a precaution. Then you're good for another 10-20 years.
Thanks. Any hints to a good pair of rear shocks for either GS. I am having trouble finding 'good' shocks that have that open clamp-like attachment area at the bottom, not an eyelet. I do not know what it is called, but most shocks seem to have a circular eyelet though.
TXBikerGuy_imp said:
Congrats on the retirement! I'm hoping that day arrives in a couple of years.

My dad had a 1981 GS1100E that I ended up bringing to Texas with me when I was in college. This is the bike when he first bought it.

a985da14926d1d5fd802d08667790c68.jpg


He went on to trick it out with some fairing work and took it on a trip around Europe.

02ff2c0729cb4b2f59355a93c66434fc.jpg


It was a great bike. If I recall correctly, it was one of, if not the fastest production bike for the time. I remember having a hard time keeping the front wheel on the ground in 1st gear until the fairing--and even then it was very easy to do wheelies.

Envious that you've found one in good condition! Enjoy it.
Really nice pixs. I will post both in time. I want to work on the 750 first, and I should get the 1100 at the end of the month. I read the 1100 was Bike of the year at Cycle World for 81' thru 83', and very fast. Cannot wait to compare it to my two 1100 Hondas.
Houtman_imp said:
Happy retirement , retirement was the best job I ever took after working hard all my life.
Thank you. I look forward to my next job. Life on my time.
Only Honda and Suzuki used an inverted "u" at the lower mount - a clevis. They interchanfe, but the Suzuki's clevis was usually offset about 6mm inward from center, so a Honda shock for it might need the top mount should be shimmed out a bit.
Back then, the stock Suzuki shocks were pretty good, and few people replaced them. The GS1100 also had adjustable damping, and was plush compared to other bikes, including the CB1100. I'd try them out first before trying unknown aftermarket "one size fits all" Chinese dampers.
 
Retirement. What a great thing to look forward to. Congratulations! I will be retiring after 32 years working as a merchant marine engineer at teh end of December. People do not realized the implications of working as a sailor. First off I would not change a thing! But what people do not understand is that I will work 4 months on and 4 months off, give or take a few days or weeks depending on the run. In 32 years I have not experienced a spring... summer... fall... all at the same time. Last year I had to sail ALL of the riding season and only got a few miles on one of my 8 bikes that year. All others sat dormant for the 2 years. Sad! LOL! But I have learned how to lay up bikes... that is for sure!

So next year I will be retired. I will enjoy the spring... summer... and fall riding seasons for the first time in 32 years. I will break out each bike and ride it... do all the required maintenance on it and move on to the next. I will make ALL the bike shows and local bike runs/meets. It will be an amazing start to the newest chapter in my life!

So retire as soon as you can and enjoy life! You get one chance at it and you need to make the best of it.

My 2 cents on retirement. LOL!
 
Back
Top