Replacement Tires

HondaJon_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Has anyone replaced their stock tires yet? Reason I am asking is that I am having a hard time finding anyone who makes both the front and rear tires in the sizes for our bikes. I would like to run a softer compound Metzeler tire, but they only make a front tire in the correct size.

The rear wheel size seems to be the limiting factor. Pirelli is the only manufacturer, besides Bridgestone, that I have found to have a Front/Rear combo. If anyone else has changed tires, let me know what you went with and how you like them. I have always run Metzelers and knew waht I was getting. Kinda in the dark now.
 
Dunlop also makes the tires for these bikes, but from what I've seen that don't last near as long as the Bridgestones.
 
Are you sure they are radials.?The sport demons I found locally are not.
I would caution against using bias ply tires on a bike designed for radials.
 
Thread starter
Mike,

I have the same beefs as you with the stock tires. Let me know how those Sport Demons work out.

I was really shocked to find such a limited tire selection. I am hoping this will change over time. I am going to e-mail Metzeler today to see if they have plans to make a Roadtec Z8 in 140/70/18.
 
2013 CBXX_imp said:
Are you sure they are radials.?The sport demons I found locally are not.
I would caution against using bias ply tires on a bike designed for radials.
I don't understand the "bias" against bias tires. I've ran both types on a lot of my bikes and had no problems. I live near the mountains of NC and ride there a lot---hard riding-- no chicken strips.
 
I recall reading somewhere that the suspension setup for a bike will be different depending on whether radial or bias tires are spec'd, but I'm guessing that maybe it only really matters at the limits of performance, something that the CB1100 wasn't really built to explore (so it won't matter much)..
 
furious_blue_imp said:
I recall reading somewhere that the suspension setup for a bike will be different depending on whether radial or bias tires are spec'd, but I'm guessing that maybe it only really matters at the limits of performance, something that the CB1100 wasn't really built to explore (so it won't matter much)..
I confess I'm not an expert on tires but I had bias tires and radial tires on my Interceptor, which is a good handling bike, and really could tell no difference in them. I had the suspension set the best I knew how to handle well. I had the Roadrider on it and was very impressed with them, handling and wear. I hope I have the same deal with the CB, I'll be sure to let all know.
 
I had to buy a new tire at 387 miles because a nail in the "sea" area of my Bridgestone rear tire.The replacement was close to $185 and mounting of $36 when I brought the wheel into my Honda dealer.Looking back now I wish that I had gone with a 150/70 Avon Road Rider,perhaps not much cheaper but I really like that tire on my CBX.I do know that it is not a radial but I do not think that it will makes MUCH difference on the CB1100.On the front of my CBX I always use a Metzeler Lazertec which are great tires in dry and wet.
Over the years I have had some oversize tires on my CBX but that did not always improve the ride.On my CB1000 I have a 180/18 Avon on the rear and love them. The standard is 170 but could not get that size,only 160 or 180..The 150 tire is the biggest you could go on the CB1100 with the 4 inch rim.I will only go 1 size bigger if the standard size is not available in the tire I want.I do not care that much about mileage on the tire ,more the grip in dry and WET.
 
CA200_imp said:
I just went to the Metzeler tire site http://www.metzeler.com/site/us/ and under contact us I said
" I hope there is tires in the works for the new Honda 2013 CB1100"

Can't hurt right
I just did the same thing for Michelin. I normally run Michelins on all my vehicles, my Civic, my wifes Accord, our Ridgeline truck, my Honda ST 1300. Love Hondas and Michelins, great combo!

Anyhow I just emailed Michelin begging them to make tires to fit the CB. Said it may take 5 days to get a response so I will let you know what they say.
 
This what I got back:
Hello

Very strange to find on Honda’s website and PR info that the bike comes OE with either Bridgestone radial tires or Dunlop Sportmax touring of some type. But when you look at their brochures or website they do not have the bike listed. But the front is a 110/80-18 on a skinny 2.50 and the rear is a 140/70-18 on a fairly wide 4.00 rim. So size wise Metzeler does not have the rear size but Pirelli has the Sport Demons in both sizes but in bias ply. Strange, very strange.

NA Metzeler M/C Tires Consumer Affairs
877 202-4993
http://www.metzeler.com
 
Metzler told you about Pirellis and said strange, very strange?


That's strange...very strange lol
 
Thread starter
I have never had any issues with finding a set of non stock replacement tires for any of my bikes. I hope that either Metzeler or Michelin make a pair that will fit the CB. The Bridgestone stocker should be great for mileage, but I would really like somthing a little softer.
 
What is the "sea" area"--of a tire that is. I know what the sea area is, its the beach! :)
 
The ferret_imp said:
Metzler told you about Pirellis and said strange, very strange?


That's strange...very strange lol
I think Metzeler and Pirelli are part of the same organization now (Pirelli acquired Metzeler back in 1986).
 
Yoyodyne_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Metzler told you about Pirellis and said strange, very strange?


That's strange...very strange lol
I think Metzeler and Pirelli are part of the same organization now (Pirelli acquired Metzeler back in 1986).
I think Metzeler and Pirelli are part of the same organization now (Pirelli acquired Metzeler back in 1986).

Hmmm why didn't I know that? Strange...very strange.
 
the sea area of a tire is were the groves are,the "land" area is the other part of the tire.Just compare slicks and rain tires .
 
Back
Top