Replacement Meter Back Cover

jpeppers_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I had the misfortune of low siding last week on my 2014 CB1100. The bike was dropped by the previous owner on both sides and both the crankcase covers were already scratched. That I'm not too beat up about. The problem is that the white plastic backing on the meter assembly cracked and now the whole cluster is lopsided because it's only supported on one side. Is there any way to replace this without buying the entire assembly (37200-MGC-A41)?

It seems ridiculous to spend $600-$700 just to replace a plastic cover. Below is a picture of the damage.

2a9ae63e650eceafd5ab3e5bea107723.jpg
 
Welcome, jpeppers. Welcome. I hope you sustained no damage in the accident.
 
Welcome to the Forum jpeppers. I hope you find solution with low ill and ease. Hopefully popgun's tip sets you in the best direction. Otherwise, when not elsewhere, you will be here.
 
Thread starter
Thank you for the warm welcome.

I was in full gear which protected me from external injuries. It wasn't the cleanest fall so there was some internal pain that has largely subsided.

Unfortunately, that piece is not listed in any parts list I've seen including that linked by popgun. It seems to be part of the entire meter assembly, but both my gauges work fine. I suppose my solution is to either reassemble it back and leave as is, or try to glue the plastic bits together. Since the plastic backing has mounting points, so the piece is stressed, I'm not sure if there is any glue that will hold it together.
 
Thread starter
Randy, that's the part. You are correct, the 2013 cover looks a little different.

My main concern, outside of it being unsightly, is that the PCB on the tachometer is now exposed to the elements.

I'm not sure if welding the plastic will work because the plastic piece is somewhat complex and some of the cracks are along inaccessible places. Unless the welding is done with some solvent. I'll look into it a little deeper.

I'm a little surprised that this is only sold as part of a $700 assembly. Below is a picture of how it looks when everything is assembled, the best that it can be right now. The whole assembly is also shifted to the left. It's very obvious when looking at the ignition.

8b9af618993924ec7e2d7d7fd8a695b0.jpg
 
jpeppers_imp said:
Randy, that's the part. You are correct, the 2013 cover looks a little different.

My main concern, outside of it being unsightly, is that the PCB on the tachometer is now exposed to the elements.

I'm not sure if welding the plastic will work because the plastic piece is somewhat complex and some of the cracks are along inaccessible places. Unless the welding is done with some solvent. I'll look into it a little deeper.

I'm a little surprised that this is only sold as part of a $700 assembly. Below is a picture of how it looks when everything is assembled, the best that it can be right now. The whole assembly is also shifted to the left. It's very obvious when looking at the ignition.

8b9af618993924ec7e2d7d7fd8a695b0.jpg
You can get that black cover that I linked above. As far as the white plastic piece, that is not sold separately on the 2014 ^ for some reason.
 
Thread starter
I do plan to buy the black metal cup. The black plastic cover is almost undamaged. Only a small crack developed, but the cover is intact. It's the white cover that suffered the most damage. Everything mounts to the meter assembly/white plastic cover. Without replacing/repairing that I can't close up that gap unless I just tape it off.
 
That's a shame that they don't sell the white piece separately for the '14 models. I replaced that piece and the outer cover on my '13 last year and as I recall, the total for both pieces was less that $150.

Typically, any impact that damages the outer cover enough to need replacing, will usually damage the inner white piece as well.
 
Be aware that when I went down they replaced my gauges piece meal and in the end the electronics needed to be replaced anyway. There was an intermittent short in the display where parts of the LEDs would stop working, and then come back on.
You might need to replace the whole thing anyway.
 
Thread starter
I rode the bike home after the crash and everything seemed to work fine. I've powered it on a couple times since then and it seemed fine each time. Considering the cost of the assembly vs what I paid for the bike then it might make more sense to sell the bike if it comes down to it and try to recoup as much as I can.
 
jpeppers_imp said:
I rode the bike home after the crash and everything seemed to work fine. I've powered it on a couple times since then and it seemed fine each time. Considering the cost of the assembly vs what I paid for the bike then it might make more sense to sell the bike if it comes down to it and try to recoup as much as I can.
Mine worked for a couple of short rides after I got back on it, but it was acting up in short order. Just be aware.
 
Sorry to hijack an old thread, but don't suppose either of you guys still have your old broken speedo?

I'm looking for just the dial face from a MPH speedo to replace the km/h version on my Japanese import 2014, so it wouldn't matter to me if the instruments are functional or not.
 
Hello jpeppers, and any other 2014 owners that may have a similar predicament. I found this on EBay and it looks like it will solve your problem. All parts are apparently ABS plastic, so you might have to purchase one OEM black metal cup. If the Chinese did a good job of knocking off the original parts, you might even be able to do a mix and match of the best OEM and aftermarket parts as well. Hope this work for you.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle...300900?hash=item23a2bf4ae4:g:9CgAAOSwYhdbGn2A

If the link does not work, the EBay auction/item number is 153054300900
 
2017EX_imp said:
Hello jpeppers, and any other 2014 owners that may have a similar predicament. I found this on EBay and it looks like it will solve your problem. All parts are apparently ABS plastic, so you might have to purchase one OEM black metal cup. If the Chinese did a good job of knocking off the original parts, you might even be able to do a mix and match of the best OEM and aftermarket parts as well. Hope this work for you.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle...300900?hash=item23a2bf4ae4:g:9CgAAOSwYhdbGn2A

If the link does not work, the EBay auction/item number is 153054300900
That's a great find!
 
Back
Top