Replacement Battery

Like a lot of products, Yuasa batteries are manufactured all over the world...Japan, China, Viet Nam, Maylasia, the UK, Australia and the US and probably some other countries too these days.
 
Dave, if you’re buying a Yuasa battery but it says “YUSA,” then yes, it’s probably counterfeit.

What brand of oil do you use? Or should we not go there?
 
Thread starter
So I bit the bullet and purchased a YUASA battery from my local dealer. I actually got a really good deal because this dealer gives me automatic discounts (it helps when you have friends, and it doesn't hurt that you purchased four new motorcycles from them, including the CB1100). When I purchased it the person working the parts counter commented that YUASA has really increased their prices recently.

As an interesting side note: All of my bikes are connected to a battery tender when not being ridden. I observed that the tach needle on my CB1100 would pause for about 1 - 2 seconds before moving upon start up. I believe this is because my weakened battery was giving all it had to engage the starter motor, and the voltage drop off during starting caused the delay in tachometer needle movement - with the new battery installed the needle reacts immediately upon start up.
 
Dave_imp said:
I know there are existing threads discussing batteries, but I've created a new thread because I have questions that have not been addressed, and I am hoping that a newer thread will gain more attention, and responses.

I need to replace my battery, and my first choice is to purchase an OEM YUSA YTZ14S battery. I am researching prices on the internet, and the prices for this particular battery vary wildly! Ferret stated in another thread that he would only purchase a Honda, factory YUSA battery because non-Honda YUSA batteries are not manufactured to the same quality levels. Partzilla sells a Honda OEM battery for $230.10. But, they also sell the EXACT same YUSA battery with a Yamaha OEM number for $175.63. Why would this be?

Prices on Ebay vary from $120.00 (plus $16.00 S&H), to $265.95. Amazon has a YUSA YTZ14S battery listed for $160.00, with free shipping. Cyclegear sells this battery for $265.95.

I found a DieHard battery sold at Advance Auto Parts for $79.99! This battery has 500 Cold Cranking Amps (CCA), compared to the YUSA brand's 230 CCA, and it comes with a 90 day warranty. I read on another thread where someone had good results with a DieHard battery.

Can I please get some feedback / recommendations concerning which battery to purchase? Also, does anyone have any evidence that a non-Honda YUSA battery would not have the same quality as a Honda OEM YUSA battery?

Thank you.
I had a problem with my Interstate battery. turned out to be a connection problem inside the battery. The only thing I could find is stock locally was the Die Hard at Advance. They told me it was as good as an Interstate. When I heard the price, I said it couldn't be. I bought it anyway because I wanted to ride that Day. That was about two years ago and it hasn't given me any trouble. I think I would buy this battery again.
 
I just bought the Die Hard at Advance Auto for mine. Die Hard is a good battery and I think that if I have any problems with it, Advance Auto will make it right. Like you, I went all over the ads on the internet and looked at the lithium batteries, like Anti-Gravity and No Co, but decided to stick with the AGM and see what happens. Got the battery in yesterday and the bike is running fine. Good luck.
 
Replaced an ol' Honda OEM AGM battery (same battery as the CB1100) with an equivalent (tiny and light!) LiFePO4 battery back during winter and it has been rock solid all year. I couldn't be happier with the result. The battery even has a built-in charge level meter.
 
After 7 years the original battery of my CB gave in. It was replaced with this one:

Batterie 12V 11,3Ah JMT Gel JMTZ14S

The bike starts and runs fine with it.

I never charge the battery extern but let the Honda do it, whenever I go out for a ride. It's the best care for the battery.
 
Ouch! The super cold weather here killed my battery. With no research and no forethought, I simply removed my battery from the bike, drove it to the local bike shop, and said "I need a new one please". I didn't notice the price until he rang me up. $270!!!! When did that happen? I could swear that it cost me a hundred and fifty bucks less the last time I replaced it. I could have killed the transaction, but the weather is supposed to be nice tomorrow and I didn't want to spend the day figuring out what else I could get away with that's cheaper and that I could pick up today.
 
tommymck_imp said:
Ouch! The super cold weather here killed my battery. With no research and no forethought, I simply removed my battery from the bike, drove it to the local bike shop, and said "I need a new one please". I didn't notice the price until he rang me up. $270!!!! When did that happen? I could swear that it cost me a hundred and fifty bucks less the last time I replaced it. I could have killed the transaction, but the weather is supposed to be nice tomorrow and I didn't want to spend the day figuring out what else I could get away with that's cheaper and that I could pick up today.
Recycle the notion of "supply chain", if one wishes.

Marketers also know there is a pile of unused "Covid cash" lying around.
 
Yeah, got a slightly slow crank the last time I fired up my CB. I recall the last Yuasa I bought in 2019 was just a tick over a hundred bucks. I've been searching for a new one - not ready to go, but an add-the-acid version, so it will be new whenever I need it to be. Very expensive now. I'll probably go with a cheaper brand, especially since my run of recent Yuasas has not yielded more than four years average.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Yeah, got a slightly slow crank the last time I fired up my CB. I recall the last Yuasa I bought in 2019 was just a tick over a hundred bucks. I've been searching for a new one - not ready to go, but an add-the-acid version, so it will be new whenever I need it to be. Very expensive now. I'll probably go with a cheaper brand, especially since my run of recent Yuasas has not yielded more than four years average.
Some of the newest off-brand LiFePO4 offerings have dropped in price significantly - if you can get stock.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
Yeah, got a slightly slow crank the last time I fired up my CB. I recall the last Yuasa I bought in 2019 was just a tick over a hundred bucks. I've been searching for a new one - not ready to go, but an add-the-acid version, so it will be new whenever I need it to be. Very expensive now. I'll probably go with a cheaper brand, especially since my run of recent Yuasas has not yielded more than four years average.
Some of the newest off-brand LiFePO4 offerings have dropped in price significantly - if you can get stock.
Some of the newest off-brand LiFePO4 offerings have dropped in price significantly - if you can get stock.
I need to remember to do the research before the next replacement... Knowing me though, I'll just put it off and complain again in a few years. I'm tough on batteries...leaving the key in the on position and totally draining the things or not charging it in the winter, so it's on me I guess.
 
tommymck_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
Yeah, got a slightly slow crank the last time I fired up my CB. I recall the last Yuasa I bought in 2019 was just a tick over a hundred bucks. I've been searching for a new one - not ready to go, but an add-the-acid version, so it will be new whenever I need it to be. Very expensive now. I'll probably go with a cheaper brand, especially since my run of recent Yuasas has not yielded more than four years average.
Some of the newest off-brand LiFePO4 offerings have dropped in price significantly - if you can get stock.
Some of the newest off-brand LiFePO4 offerings have dropped in price significantly - if you can get stock.
I need to remember to do the research before the next replacement... Knowing me though, I'll just put it off and complain again in a few years. I'm tough on batteries...leaving the key in the on position and totally draining the things or not charging it in the winter, so it's on me I guess.
Maybe buy batteries by the six pack? :huh:
 
I've been thinking about this. I've been buying Yuasa batteries for my personal bikes for years. But, we also have a fleet of Honda and Kymco scooters for our events. When a battery dies on one of the scooters, we replace it with whatever we can find readily in whatever town we're working in. Some come from Walmart, some from tire stores, but always random brands. And those tend to last as long as the Yuasas in my bikes. I think my next battery purchase will be something a little more budget-friendly than a Yuasa. What's the worst that can happen?
 
Here's another interesting thought. We fret about the condition of our motorcycle batteries, how long they will last, how we need to charge them to keep them going for as long as possible. Here's a counterpoint, in the form of my work van battery. An Interstate from Costco, going on just about five years. The van sits for weeks at a time, never gets put on a tender (it would be stolen instantly). Always cranks just fine. Apparently early last week, while the office was closed, my boss took the van to move something heavy. Put it back, but left the dome light on. I went to use it today, and it was dead. So dead, in fact, that it did not even register on my multi-meter. Been sitting dead for a full week.

Stuck it on a six amp charger for a few hours, and it's good as new.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Here's another interesting thought. We fret about the condition of our motorcycle batteries, how long they will last, how we need to charge them to keep them going for as long as possible. Here's a counterpoint, in the form of my work van battery. An Interstate from Costco, going on just about five years. The van sits for weeks at a time, never gets put on a tender (it would be stolen instantly). Always cranks just fine. Apparently early last week, while the office was closed, my boss took the van to move something heavy. Put it back, but left the dome light on. I went to use it today, and it was dead. So dead, in fact, that it did not even register on my multi-meter. Been sitting dead for a full week.

Stuck it on a six amp charger for a few hours, and it's good as new.
Costco cage batteries are really decent quality.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
Here's another interesting thought. We fret about the condition of our motorcycle batteries, how long they will last, how we need to charge them to keep them going for as long as possible. Here's a counterpoint, in the form of my work van battery. An Interstate from Costco, going on just about five years. The van sits for weeks at a time, never gets put on a tender (it would be stolen instantly). Always cranks just fine. Apparently early last week, while the office was closed, my boss took the van to move something heavy. Put it back, but left the dome light on. I went to use it today, and it was dead. So dead, in fact, that it did not even register on my multi-meter. Been sitting dead for a full week.

Stuck it on a six amp charger for a few hours, and it's good as new.
Costco cage batteries are really decent quality.
Costco cage batteries are really decent quality.
^^+1^^, had two of them
 
peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
Here's another interesting thought. We fret about the condition of our motorcycle batteries, how long they will last, how we need to charge them to keep them going for as long as possible. Here's a counterpoint, in the form of my work van battery. An Interstate from Costco, going on just about five years. The van sits for weeks at a time, never gets put on a tender (it would be stolen instantly). Always cranks just fine. Apparently early last week, while the office was closed, my boss took the van to move something heavy. Put it back, but left the dome light on. I went to use it today, and it was dead. So dead, in fact, that it did not even register on my multi-meter. Been sitting dead for a full week.

Stuck it on a six amp charger for a few hours, and it's good as new.
Costco cage batteries are really decent quality.
Costco cage batteries are really decent quality.
^^+1^^, had two of them
Cheapest priced decent quality cage wheel lug nuts too.
 
Anymore I avoid places like Amazon for car parts/OEM type stuff as there are more counterfeit parts than legit OEM parts. As for batteries, I have a tendency to shop local, in person, and look mainly at warranty vs brand name. For instance, our local Batteries Plus has a whole slew of batteries for the CB for under $150 and are doing 20% off right now. All with a 2 year full replacement warranty. This way I know if I get a bad one I can take it down the street and get it swapped out for 2 years.
Funny thing though, is that I have never warrantied a single one. I usually get 4-5 years and swap them out due to age.
 
I avoid Ebay and am cautious with Amazon, especially after receiving a set of couterfeit NGK spark plugs. There's a Batteries Plus in a lot of the towns where we host our events, and if we can pick up a battery for a scooter if needed, that's one of our first choices for the warranty. They seem to hold up well.
 
Back
Top