TheLegend
First service completed
Thread starter
Can somebody please help me with a Repair/Service Manual for a 2017 Honda CB 1100 RS SC 78 in English? Can I find it somewhere for download or so? Thank you!
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
I need it bad now for the valve clearance check, distribution chain and others, in order to try and solve that knocking and vibrations. This bike is not known here yet and the mecanic need that data. Thank you!rdprdp01 said:I purchased the actual manual for $175 USD from an eBay Seller. It was a few hundred pages and published by Honda. Great manual but not available in PDF form.
To the best of my knowledge, there is not an official Digital Honda Service manual available for download on the Internet.
The digital version of the owners manual can be downloaded from here:
https://2rom-prd-data.hondamotopub.com/om/HPI/CB1100EX/2018/CB1100EX_32MGC6520_0.pdf
Hope the Owner's Manual will help.
If you do find a credible, digital version of the service manual for sale, please update this post. David
TheLegend said:I need it bad now for the valve clearance check, distribution chain and others, in order to try and solve that knocking and vibrations. This bike is not known here yet and the mechanic need that data. Thank you!rdprdp01 said:I purchased the actual manual for $175 USD from an eBay Seller. It was a few hundred pages and published by Honda. Great manual but not available in PDF form.
To the best of my knowledge, there is not an official Digital Honda Service manual available for download on the Internet.
The digital version of the owners manual can be downloaded from here:
https://2rom-prd-data.hondamotopub.com/om/HPI/CB1100EX/2018/CB1100EX_32MGC6520_0.pdf
Hope the Owner's Manual will help.
If you do find a credible, digital version of the service manual for sale, please update this post. David
Thank you very much, if you please send me some photos with valve clearance and arround cylinder head insides; hope I will solve my problems one day!rdprdp01 said:I checked my manual and the material contained is Copyright Protected. Honda Motor Company, Ltd. owns the Copyright. I am unable to reproduce any part of it. I can share that Chapter 3 (Maintenance) and Chapter 7 (Cylinder Heads/Valves) would most likely provide any competent mechanic the information required to properly diagnose and correct the issue you face.
This manual can be purchased on eBay and shipped from the United States to most other countries. See link:
https://ebay.us/m/pIpKZA
The seller has sold over 50,000 items and has earned the highest rating possible on eBay. Hope this info helps. David

TheLegend said:Thank you very much, if you please send me some photos with valve clearance and arround cylinder head insides; hope I will solve my problems one day!rdprdp01 said:I checked my manual and the material contained is Copyright Protected. Honda Motor Company, Ltd. owns the Copyright. I am unable to reproduce any part of it. I can share that Chapter 3 (Maintenance) and Chapter 7 (Cylinder Heads/Valves) would most likely provide any competent mechanic the information required to properly diagnose and correct the issue you face.
This manual can be purchased on eBay and shipped from the United States to most other countries. See link:
https://ebay.us/m/pIpKZA
The seller has sold over 50,000 items and has earned the highest rating possible on eBay. Hope this info helps. David![]()
Thank you very much for your care, elaborate answer and technical details, really appreciate!rdprdp01 said:TheLegend said:Thank you very much, if you please send me some photos with valve clearance and arround cylinder head insides; hope I will solve my problems one day!rdprdp01 said:I checked my manual and the material contained is Copyright Protected. Honda Motor Company, Ltd. owns the Copyright. I am unable to reproduce any part of it. I can share that Chapter 3 (Maintenance) and Chapter 7 (Cylinder Heads/Valves) would most likely provide any competent mechanic the information required to properly diagnose and correct the issue you face.
This manual can be purchased on eBay and shipped from the United States to most other countries. See link:
https://ebay.us/m/pIpKZA
The seller has sold over 50,000 items and has earned the highest rating possible on eBay. Hope this info helps. David![]()
Sadly, Copyright Law is not a best-efforts basis. We must follow it on the Forum. Otherwise, we could be found in breach and the Forum could be taken down and I could be fined.
What I can do is share with you what I did when I chekced the valves on my 2017 CB1100EX. It is my understanding that the differences between an EX and RS are primarily frame, suspension, tire, and brake related. A competent mechanic should be able to mature what I did and render a great adjustment for you. Note that there are professional mechanics on the Forum who do better work than me, they just do not enjoy the work as much as I do.![]()
In summary, I
- Removed the cylinder head cover, cam-chain tension bolt, and sealing washer
- Aligned the “T” mark on the CKP sensor rote with an index mark on the right crankcase cover
- Confirmed that the timing marks on the CAM sprockets were flush with the cylinder head surface
- Used a feeler gauge between the vale lifter and cam lobe to make sure that the intake clearance was within tolerance ((Intake: 0.15 ± 0.03 mm; (0.006 ± 0.0001 in) for the No 1 and No 3 cylinders
- Turned the crankshaft clockwise 180 degrees, and aligned the CKP sensor rotor with the index mark, and checked cylinders 2 and 4 to make sure their intake clearance was within tolerance ((IN: 0.15 ± 0.03 mm; (0.006 ± 0.0001 in)
- I checked the exhaust valve clears similarly. The tolerance for the exhaust valves is ((Exhaust: 0.28 ± 0.03 mm; (0.011 ± 0.0001 in) for a 2017 CB1100EX.
My motorcycle had 6,800 miles on the clock when I performed this check. The valve clearances were absolutely perfect. I did the check more as a training exercise than anything else.
Hope this helps and I invite other Members of the Forum to augment this post if my summary merits further details or corrections.
If you need more information, you can reach out to Honda on the following site:
https://powersports.honda.com/contact-us
I contacted them once in 20 years. However, their response was swift and supportive. I believe if you explain to them your unique situation, they may be able to send you any additional information required to get your motorcycle where you want it to be.
I hope this helps. David

peterbaron said:Wish you good luck with proper diagnosis before digging in!!!
This bike was in a foreign country before you bought it?
Does it run ok besides the noise issue???
You also promised to provide a video about this issue..??
rdprdp01 said:A 2017 Honda CB1100RS is one of the most sought after motorcycles within the CB1100 community. I hope you can find a way forward where you can keep it. This video link below provides more data about valve adjustments on motorcycles which are similar to your RS:
Hope this helps. Please stay connected to the Forum if you can find a way to keep your RS! David
rdprdp01 said:A 2017 Honda CB1100RS is one of the most sought after motorcycles within the CB1100 community. I hope you can find a way forward where you can keep it. This video link below provides more data about valve adjustments on motorcycles which are similar to your RS:
Hope this helps. Please stay connected to the Forum if you can find a way to keep your RS! David
Cormanus said:You can't upload a file that size to the forum, TheLegend. You'll have to upload it to a site that hosts videos — YouTube, Imgur, Vimeo or the like — and provide a link to it.
Cormanus said:You can't upload a file that size to the forum, TheLegend. You'll have to upload it to a site that hosts videos — YouTube, Imgur, Vimeo or the like — and provide a link to it.

Dear David,rdprdp01 said:A few questions, my friend. Do not loose your hope. The RS is one of the best motorcycles on the planet, and the Forum has at least two master mechanics that can assist. To balance expectations, you may have to take the leap of faith and allow a certified mechanic to open up the engine. But for now, let’s gather some more information:
When you drive the motorcycle at 10 miles per hour, how does it ride and sound?
When you drive the motorcycle at 30 miles per hour, how does it ride and sound compared to 10 miles per hour?
When you drive the motorcycle at 50 miles per hour (if it is safe to do so), how does it ride and sound compared to 10 miles per hour?
Is there any black exhaust plume at any RPM?
Have you changed the oil? Did you see anything in the oil?
How does the tread wear pattern look on the tires? Is there anything that suggests that either tire is out of round or that one of the tires is out of balance?
Do you have a Honda Motorcycle Dealer within commuting distance to your home?
Can you trailer your motorcycle or have access to a rental place where you can rent a trailer?
My instincts tell me that you have (1) more than one minor issue and (2) they can be fixed easily and relatively inexpensively.
David

TheLegend said:Dear David,rdprdp01 said:A few questions, my friend. Do not loose your hope. The RS is one of the best motorcycles on the planet, and the Forum has at least two master mechanics that can assist. To balance expectations, you may have to take the leap of faith and allow a certified mechanic to open up the engine. But for now, let’s gather some more information:
When you drive the motorcycle at 10 miles per hour, how does it ride and sound?
When you drive the motorcycle at 30 miles per hour, how does it ride and sound compared to 10 miles per hour?
When you drive the motorcycle at 50 miles per hour (if it is safe to do so), how does it ride and sound compared to 10 miles per hour?
Is there any black exhaust plume at any RPM?
Have you changed the oil? Did you see anything in the oil?
How does the tread wear pattern look on the tires? Is there anything that suggests that either tire is out of round or that one of the tires is out of balance?
Do you have a Honda Motorcycle Dealer within commuting distance to your home?
Can you trailer your motorcycle or have access to a rental place where you can rent a trailer?
My instincts tell me that you have (1) more than one minor issue and (2) they can be fixed easily and relatively inexpensively.
David
- The bike generally it rides OK, no misalignment or wobbling, it stays straight, engine goes "round" no misfires or so. When cold no knockings.
- The problem came, doesn't matter the speed, after 3.200-3.500 rpm or more, when strong high pitch vibrations occurs, felled in the handlebar. I ride it even at 140 km/h, the more rpm raise the more vibrations are, and the middle range when you ride the highway is exactly between 3k- 5(6)k rpm. I try several times at 120-140 km/h and pull the clutch(on free), acceleration on idle and at that speed the bike was smooth as butter so, nothing to do with wheels, tires etc. Everything comes from the engine run after 3.200 rpm... :dodgy:
- No plume/smoke/fog from exhaust at any rpm
- Yes I've changed the oil after I've buy it, from AmsOil 10w40 to Honda 10w30 same problems; the former oil that I rune only ~ 1.000 Km was a little dark but nothing special inside it(like metal/debris etc). I'd tend to believe, if I remember correct, after that AmsOil I recall all this problems begins... but I'm not quite sure, because in spring '25 my first rides where short because of the weather so, not much attention payed.
- Again is not from tires or cyclistics, because e.g. at ~140 km/h and pull the clutch/idle rpm, the bike is very smooth as a normal bike has to be.
- Honda don't have an Oficial Representative there are only dealers, I was at the biggest they made a kind of check and they declare they don't sell and don't know this bike and engine at all, in short they only can suspect/guess(but they give no clue or a suspicion) and is not OK with me that thing(we open and we will see what's there) I'd like to have a ~certain diagnose and cause.
- Tell me please what is your instinct suspicion(nr 1)!? :idea: Let's hope is a minor thing; for me now the knocking thing is more dangerous and warrying then vibrations(or they are linked)
Thank you David!![]()