Removing stock mufflers?

Rebel73_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Is there any write-up on this? My Over Racing mufflers came in today and I want to tackle it this weekend. I'm assuming it's relatively straightforward but I've never done it. The instructions that come with the slip-ons simply say to consult the service manual, which I don't have yet.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
 
I was going to respond but I have the Standard, not DLX. If it's anything like the Standard model, then it's super easy. Took me 15 minutes, just a few bolts here and there.
 
You may want to use some thermal/exhaust paste to make sure no leaks. Some people say it's not necessary (and they are probably correct) but I did it anyway just to be safe. I actually used Teflon tape, supposedly an old trick that I discovered somewhere online (works wonders and you don't need to wait for it to dry/cure like the paste).
 
You're the man, Rebel. I admire your confidence. As a klutz, one of the scariest phrases I know is "Super easy, just a few bolts ..." It always, always ends in tears.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
You're the man, Rebel. I admire your confidence. As a klutz, one of the scariest phrases I know is "Super easy, just a few bolts ..." It always, always ends in tears.
Ha ha. Well, my friend, in all honesty there have been several times where halfway through a project I told myself "Why didn't I just pay to have this done!!!???".

But somehow I've managed to fumble my way through through all of them and come out fine. It's all part of the learning process, I guess.

Also, the information available on forums like these helps alot.
Mike546_imp said:
Rebel73_imp said:
Cool, guys. Thanks for your input and tips. I'll post some pics and try to put up a video, too!
Are you selling your stock DLX mufflers?
Are you selling your stock DLX mufflers?
Mike, I'm not sure. For the time being I will probably hang onto them because you never know. Should I decide to sell them I'll let you know.
MikeOxbig_imp said:
You may want to use some thermal/exhaust paste to make sure no leaks. Some people say it's not necessary (and they are probably correct) but I did it anyway just to be safe. I actually used Teflon tape, supposedly an old trick that I discovered somewhere online (works wonders and you don't need to wait for it to dry/cure like the paste).
Where did you get the tape? Home Depot?
 
Mike. Like everyone has replied, it's a fairly simple task.

I would loosen the front muffler clamp first, then unbolt the muffler at the rear bracket. Once the rear bolt is pulled out, the muffler may drop down a little bit. At this point you can grab the muffler and rotate it with a slight up and down motion, while pulling towards the rear of the bike. It should slip off pretty easy. Use this same process for both sides.

The Over Racing mufflers have a different muffler gasket, which should have been included with them. Look to make sure your OEM muffler gaskets didn't stay on the muffler end of the header pipes. Remove them if they did. I use the exhaust temperature Permatex paste to seal the new muffler gaskets. Install of the new mufflers is the reverse process, with everything slipping easily into place.

Good luck and let us know how you like the new sound. I'm noticing mine sounding even better the more miles I put on them.
 
Mike546_imp said:
Rebel73_imp said:
Cool, guys. Thanks for your input and tips. I'll post some pics and try to put up a video, too!
Are you selling your stock DLX mufflers?
Mike, I'm not sure. For the time being I will probably hang onto them because you never know. Should I decide to sell them I'll let you know.

Ok cool, let me know if you do decide to sell them.
thanks
Mike
 
There will be a small heat shield attached to the stock muffler pipe. Just remove the one allen bolt and then then slide the cover to the side to release it.

Other than that just the one mounting bolt by the muffler and muffler clamp where it attaches to the catalytic converter. Easy Peasy.
 
Make sure to wipe down and clean mufflers with some clean paper towl and windex or similar type cleaner to get off all finger prints and grease or and smudges prior to stating for first time. If you dont do this it will leave a permenant mark on them.
 
Thread starter
I installed the Over Racing mufflers this weekend. It was very easy. They sound great! I'll see if I can get a video up soon. There is a gap where you can see a black section where the mufflers meet the headers. I'm going to do as another member did and transfer the covers from the stock mufflers. It actually doesn't look bad as it is. So far I'm very happy with them. There's a nice "bwaap" when I rev it and it sounds really sweet under load. The sound level is perfect. I can hear them but they are not deafening or annoying!

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/RobertB755/media/20160215_162233_zps9krni6ef.jpg.html]
 
Those look great especially on that café style bike.
 
Back
Top