Removing seat

pittycheria_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
New 2017 ex-owner - i am stumped on how to remove the seat. The manual says turn seat lock key and pull back and up to remove the seat. No luck, the seat wont budge. Unlike older models (2013-2014) there is no latch behind the helmet lock to pull down.

Any ideas?
 
There is a release behind the helmet lock that you have to pull down to release the seat.
 
pittycheria_imp said:
New 2017 ex-owner - i am stumped on how to remove the seat. The manual says turn seat lock key and pull back and up to remove the seat. No luck, the seat wont budge. Unlike older models (2013-2014) there is no latch behind the helmet lock to pull down.

Any ideas?

Am I the only one that read that the first time?

:P
 
duh reading comprehension. Yea I missed that. Have no idea then, but if you find out, please let us ( the rest of the forum) know.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
pittycheria_imp said:
New 2017 ex-owner - i am stumped on how to remove the seat. The manual says turn seat lock key and pull back and up to remove the seat. No luck, the seat wont budge. Unlike older models (2013-2014) there is no latch behind the helmet lock to pull down.

Any ideas?

Am I the only one that read that the first time?

:P

Am I the only one that read that the first time?

:P
I feel that it MUST have been an edit as to why we all missed that. :P
I looks like you just have to turn the key and pull up and rearward on the seat at the same time from what I can see in this picture.

http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/hon/5907902187a8660d54fac330/seat
 
Might be silly of me, but did you leave the key in the seat lock? It's something like the gas cap lock. You have to leave the key in it until you are done.

Wait till you have to put the seat back on. I had lots of practice with my CB500XA, so this seat is not too hard for me to lock down.

The toughest thing for me is the putting this porker on the center stand. I weigh 220 pounds and have 26 years of experience putting a dozen different motorcycles on their main stand without a problem. But for some odd reason this one tends to lean towards the rider. Which of course is much better than having it pitch away from you. But both feet of the stand must be firmly planted to hoist this oinker to her position of rest.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
pittycheria_imp said:
New 2017 ex-owner - i am stumped on how to remove the seat. The manual says turn seat lock key and pull back and up to remove the seat. No luck, the seat wont budge. Unlike older models (2013-2014) there is no latch behind the helmet lock to pull down.

Any ideas?

Am I the only one that read that the first time?

:P
Am I the only one that read that the first time?

:P No.
 
So is that it Nortoon? You just turn the key and pull up on the seat? Do you have to hold the key in the turned position or just turn it and let go?
 
Looks like you turn the key and hold, then pull up the seat.

Check out this video at about 09:54 :

 
Thread starter
Thanks Flynrider, the video helped. So the trick while have the key turned ,pull seat up and back using the seat strap , not the back of the seat. You need to yank hard. Hope the strap does not break ! - anyway I am all set


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
It will probably loosen up some as latch parts wear in.
 
I lift mine back and up with the back of the seat.

To replace it, the tab at the front and hooks in the middle must be pushed into their holders. I hold the front of the seat down and give the back a good thump forward and down. The rear seldom locks first try, but another thump usually puts it right.

The techniques for removing and installing the seat on my CB500XA were similar. Although it was a bit harder to line up the front tab because it was much smaller.
 
Nortoon_imp said:
Might be silly of me, but did you leave the key in the seat lock? It's something like the gas cap lock. You have to leave the key in it until you are done.

Wait till you have to put the seat back on. I had lots of practice with my CB500XA, so this seat is not too hard for me to lock down.

The toughest thing for me is the putting this porker on the center stand. I weigh 220 pounds and have 26 years of experience putting a dozen different motorcycles on their main stand without a problem. But for some odd reason this one tends to lean towards the rider. Which of course is much better than having it pitch away from you. But both feet of the stand must be firmly planted to hoist this oinker to her position of rest.
You shouldn't have to hoist anything. Both feet of stand touching ground, yes. Then grab left handlebar with left hand, foot on peg and push down while at the same time pulling up on the grab rail with right hand. Mine goes right up without too much effort.

 
pdedse_imp said:
Nortoon_imp said:
Might be silly of me, but did you leave the key in the seat lock? It's something like the gas cap lock. You have to leave the key in it until you are done.

Wait till you have to put the seat back on. I had lots of practice with my CB500XA, so this seat is not too hard for me to lock down.

The toughest thing for me is the putting this porker on the center stand. I weigh 220 pounds and have 26 years of experience putting a dozen different motorcycles on their main stand without a problem. But for some odd reason this one tends to lean towards the rider. Which of course is much better than having it pitch away from you. But both feet of the stand must be firmly planted to hoist this oinker to her position of rest.
You shouldn't have to hoist anything. Both feet of stand touching ground, yes. Then grab left handlebar with left hand, foot on peg and push down while at the same time pulling up on the grab rail with right hand. Mine goes right up without too much effort.

Hoist was a poor choice of words.

The method you describe and we see on YouTube is exactly what I use and have used on of the motorcycles I have owned over my 26 years of riding. Despite being considerably heavier than my EX, my Goldwing rolled on and off the stand easily. But this new machine is difficult.
 
That's interesting Nortoon as most of us have found the 2010-2014 models to be surprisingly easy for the size of bike. You certainly have to have both feet of the stand on the ground, though.

I wonder if the 2017 bikes are subtly different in how they pop up onto the stand?
 
Nortoon_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
Nortoon_imp said:
Might be silly of me, but did you leave the key in the seat lock? It's something like the gas cap lock. You have to leave the key in it until you are done.

Wait till you have to put the seat back on. I had lots of practice with my CB500XA, so this seat is not too hard for me to lock down.

The toughest thing for me is the putting this porker on the center stand. I weigh 220 pounds and have 26 years of experience putting a dozen different motorcycles on their main stand without a problem. But for some odd reason this one tends to lean towards the rider. Which of course is much better than having it pitch away from you. But both feet of the stand must be firmly planted to hoist this oinker to her position of rest.
You shouldn't have to hoist anything. Both feet of stand touching ground, yes. Then grab left handlebar with left hand, foot on peg and push down while at the same time pulling up on the grab rail with right hand. Mine goes right up without too much effort.

Hoist was a poor choice of words.

The method you describe and we see on YouTube is exactly what I use and have used on of the motorcycles I have owned over my 26 years of riding. Despite being considerably heavier than my EX, my Goldwing rolled on and off the stand easily. But this new machine is difficult.
Hoist was a poor choice of words.

The method you describe and we see on YouTube is exactly what I use and have used on of the motorcycles I have owned over my 26 years of riding. Despite being considerably heavier than my EX, my Goldwing rolled on and off the stand easily. But this new machine is difficult.
It's certainly not the easiest bike I've owned to get on the centerstand. I struggle a little with it. My 750 Nighthawk jumped on it's centerstand by itself in comparison. The ST on the other hand is so hard for me, the only time I use the centerstand is when my wife is there to help me.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
That's interesting Nortoon as most of us have found the 2010-2014 models to be surprisingly easy for the size of bike. You certainly have to have both feet of the stand on the ground, though.

I wonder if the 2017 bikes are subtly different in how they pop up onto the stand?
+1, I find my 2013 pops up on the center stand with very little effort however, my brother has a hard time with his 2014 CB. Go figure?
 
I checked some side stand part numbers.
2013 Standard 50500-MGC-000
2014 Standard 50500-MGC-306
2014 Deluxe 50500-MGC-305
2017 EX 50500-MGC-JBO

I can understand the difference between Standard and the Deluxe or EX model because of the muffler(s).
Odd that the Standard model stand would change year to year.

I guess I will have to wait for other EX owners to chime in.

Maybe I'm just not tough enough to own a Honda.

Or maybe it's just the way I hold my tongue. :P
 
The ferret_imp said:
Nortoon_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
Nortoon_imp said:
Might be silly of me, but did you leave the key in the seat lock? It's something like the gas cap lock. You have to leave the key in it until you are done.

Wait till you have to put the seat back on. I had lots of practice with my CB500XA, so this seat is not too hard for me to lock down.

The toughest thing for me is the putting this porker on the center stand. I weigh 220 pounds and have 26 years of experience putting a dozen different motorcycles on their main stand without a problem. But for some odd reason this one tends to lean towards the rider. Which of course is much better than having it pitch away from you. But both feet of the stand must be firmly planted to hoist this oinker to her position of rest.
You shouldn't have to hoist anything. Both feet of stand touching ground, yes. Then grab left handlebar with left hand, foot on peg and push down while at the same time pulling up on the grab rail with right hand. Mine goes right up without too much effort.

Hoist was a poor choice of words.

The method you describe and we see on YouTube is exactly what I use and have used on of the motorcycles I have owned over my 26 years of riding. Despite being considerably heavier than my EX, my Goldwing rolled on and off the stand easily. But this new machine is difficult.
Hoist was a poor choice of words.

The method you describe and we see on YouTube is exactly what I use and have used on of the motorcycles I have owned over my 26 years of riding. Despite being considerably heavier than my EX, my Goldwing rolled on and off the stand easily. But this new machine is difficult.
It's certainly not the easiest bike I've owned to get on the centerstand. I struggle a little with it. My 750 Nighthawk jumped on it's centerstand by itself in comparison. The ST on the other hand is so hard for me, the only time I use the centerstand is when my wife is there to help me.
Agreed! Last weekend I changed the oil on both CBs and put them on their center stands side by side before I started. The CB750 took substantially less effort than the CB1100 (although neither was particularly difficult). The bikes weigh within 30 lbs of each other, so I suspect the difference is probably more related to the center stand geometry.
 
Back
Top