remember the prototype CB1100?

Flynbulldog_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
It had better suspension and exhaust with beefier brakes, lower bars and a cafe style seat.
What happened? I suppose pricepoint did it's thing as usual.

343301b856d2d3e7623e4366cd5a7b3a.jpg


ffc675a5dac0e2731b41d8b2f754d842.jpg
 
For the age group they targeted I think that prototype was a little too "Mad Max."
The beauty of the UJM is that a manufacturer would offer a basic platform and the purchaser would then customize it to their liking.
I think Honda did an exceptional job offering a basic motorcycle. Now it's up to each owner to turn it into THEIR motorcycle.
 
Thats the second protype. First prototype looked much closer to the original 750. I have a picture of it but can't figure out how to post it. Its on my Ipad.

Ok, found a pic of it...

Check out this thread about 1/2 way down the page

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=65926.0

I remember this bike being shown at an International motorcycle show in 2000 if I remember correctly

450 ish style tank, 750 style tank and side covers, 4 into 4 exhaust, fork gaiters, original style fork ears, brakes disc look like old Lockheed discs to me.

I originally thought Id prefr this version, but in the end, I think the one we got looks the best.
 
The front end of the prototype says "sportbike" to me--brakes too big, tire too wide. Rear tire is too sporty also.

And I'm guessing the exhaust mimicked the CB400F, which is probably as close as we got in the production bike, except EPA requirements required more mass, O2 sensors, catalytic converters, and a certain pipe length for optimal tuning.

I like our tail light and seat better.

Hey, at this point, I'm just glad I have one to call my own! :D
 
I should amend my post to say that was the prototype that Honda built when it first considered building a 40 th Anniversary homage bike to the CB 750. The project was shelved, was eventually revived, and morphed into the 2007 bike which morphed into the 1100 we have today.

The bike we got also pays homage to all of the previous CB's and uses styling cues from many.
It was the 2001 Tokyo show

Gallerie

Look near bottom of first section just above yellow line
 
I'd be pretty psyched on some better rear suspension and beefier brakes. I do however like that honda decided to keep the price down on the things that are easily swapped because everything else is top notch.
 
Thread starter
Here's that 750 version (copy?)

e7673d33c5d9c42c286ac7fccbc018d0.jpg


I guess I'm a sportbike guy so for me the prototype (from the first post) would have been more my style than what we have now.

No matter, I love my new bike. Just brought home a set of low bars so I have a project for this afternoon.
 
That's the one I was referring to. I really like that one, but really like the one we got as well.
 
I like that the CB11 on isn't a full on throwback... It is it's own bike. It honors the past without dwelling in it. I for one didn't buy a new Bonneville specifically because a hate the idea of having fuel injection and a fake carb on my bike. If you want to make it more modern... be my guest... but why try to hide it?
 
That prototype looks cool, but it doesn't look "correct". The bike we now own looks absolutely correct.
 
oldyaler_imp said:
For the age group they targeted I think that prototype was a little too "Mad Max."
The beauty of the UJM is that a manufacturer would offer a basic platform and the purchaser would then customize it to their liking.
I think Honda did an exceptional job offering a basic motorcycle. Now it's up to each owner to turn it into THEIR motorcycle.
Ditto!
 
Flynbulldog_imp said:
It had better suspension and exhaust with beefier brakes, lower bars and a cafe style seat.
What happened? I suppose pricepoint did it's thing as usual.

343301b856d2d3e7623e4366cd5a7b3a.jpg


ffc675a5dac0e2731b41d8b2f754d842.jpg
Gentlemen,

A prototype or design study car or bike, most of which don't even run, is used to gauge public reaction at shows or in focus groups. They don't have to meet regulatory requirements in their intended markets and since their primary function is visual they usually include features that may impair their function, comfort, legality, and certainly cost. The exhaust on that prototype looks great with no converter or O2 sensor, tiny turn signals, piggyback shock, and a much smaller tail light. All in all, after undergoing the regulatory, functional, and cost hurdles necessary to manufacture it, the production CB11 is a pretty close reproduction and a fine machine. Cheers.

Chip
 
Flynbulldog_imp said:
Here's that 750 version (copy?)

e7673d33c5d9c42c286ac7fccbc018d0.jpg


I guess I'm a sportbike guy so for me the prototype (from the first post) would have been more my style than what we have now.

No matter, I love my new bike. Just brought home a set of low bars so I have a project for this afternoon.
*************************************************

Except for the tank, I love everything about this proto better, but not much. Don't get me wrong, I think the CB11 is fantastic....the best thing I've seen in a long time. I guess I'm a little old fashioned (well, old anyway). I'm not a sports bike guy and I think what the final product became was the right move by Honda. Apparently, I was not the only one who doesn't like the low bars and seat. Like someone else said, it's a great bike to start with and each one can make it their own.

The only thing I would like to have seen better on the new CB11 is the exhaust. Too sport bike like. I would love to see 2 into 1 on each side, or even the 4 setup as on the original CB750. I will say one thing though, I love the sound of the new pipes. Very quiet. I can live with the looks because the sidecar will hide a lot of the pipe anyway. This new CB is exactly what my best friend and I was waiting for. What a great bike! Congrats to Honda for some timely motorcycle design insight.
 
What I REALLY like about the CB above is the spoked aluminum wheels.
They look period correct but much beefier and lighter.
The one thing that bothers me about the same bike is dual disks on the front........................................and CABLE OPERATED! :s
Remember the CB200? :-)
No, I don't have a clue what I did to that post. :huh:
 
Inline4_imp said:
What I REALLY like about the CB above is the spoked aluminum wheels.
They look period correct but much beefier and lighter.
The one thing that bothers me about the same bike is dual disks on the front........................................and CABLE OPERATED! :s
Remember the CB200? :-)
No, I don't have a clue what I did to that post. :huh:
No, I don't have a clue what I did to that post. :huh:
**************************************************

Yeah, I noticed the lack of hydraulic brakes also. Even worse, those look like carbs. But, if they were going to market it here in the U.S., I'm sure those things would be changed. If they would sell this bike in the U.S. (with fuel injection and hydraulic brakes), it's the one I would want. I like the Kawasaki W800 too.
 
Back
Top