refitting head pipes

modmaster_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I recently removed my old exhaust head pipes and am installing another stock set that I bought from Chip Beck that have had the catalytic converter removed from it. I can't seem to get the newer head pipes to fit up into the cylinder head openings. Any tips or tricks to reinstalling the header pipes? I'm getting very frustrated.

modmaster
 
Modmaaster, I'm sure one member reported a problems getting a pipe back because he hadn't got a gaskets out. I've had a quick look for you but can't find the thread. Try a search and I'll look later too if I can.
 
Cormanus, I think that was done by 2 other members. At least that is what I remember.
Not to steal Cormanus' thunder, but here is one thread: Exhaust Leak
 
You're probably right, popgun. I still can't find the thread(s).
 
Thanks popgun. If you ever figure out how the autopost thingy happened, you could let us know? :P
 
That was actually asked about too a long time ago! An Australian member answered it if I remember correctly :D He is hard to get hold of though as he is usually out tying his kangaroo down, sport. :excited:



OK, here is a hint. Rolf Harris
 
Thread starter
I definitely have all 4 old gaskets out. The thing is I can't get the 4 pipes to start in the exhaust ports. They just don't seem to line up all at the same time. I think I will take a close look at the portion that the pipes start in and see if they got a bit boogered up around the opening I.D. Then I will check the O.D. of the pipe inlets to see how much slip they have to fit in to the ports. Am I making any sense with all this? Also should I have the back portion of the header where the muffler attaches to, at that height when trying to install the pipes into their respective openings?

modmaster
 
I had a feeling that was what you were talking about. I haven't had mine off so probably not going to be any help. But a lot of members have removed and replaced theirs. Hopefully some of them will chime in with some help.
 
Thread starter
All is well in Hondaland. I just had to place a box under the rear of the headers and I was able to start the pipes into the cylinder head ports. Also I noticed that some of the hold down flanges had to be turned 180 degrees to line up properly with the studs. They must only fit in one way.
Thanks to all who were kind enough to chime in with their thoughts.

modmaster
 
Glad you got it figured out modmaster. Sometimes trying to accurately diagnose an issue over the internet without being able to see/touch/ feel is difficult.
 
Glad you figured it out! And now that you mentioned it, I do now recall that someone else had the same observation about the flanges.
 
Well done, modmaster.
 
Back
Top