Recovery time

NHCB1100_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hello everyone. I’ve been silently enjoying this forum since last summer. I have a 81 cb750c with 13,000 miles in my basement in pristine shape. Finally bought a cb1100 last summer and after two hundred miles I laid it down taking an off ramp to fast. My fault not respecting my new machine. Bigger difference between drum and disc rear brakes then I anticipated. Needed to learn the machine better....humbling to say but true. Been riding all my life so I must have needed a safety reminder.

Good news to me was I’ve repaired my bike to new condition and its ready to roll. Now it has 2500 total miles. That was easy part. Hard part was fixing me. Completely tore left rotator from bone. Surgery last august blah blah blah. Finished pt in January and proceeded to fall on ice (hate New England winters more and more) and snapped humorous bone on same side. Six more weeks sling time. Just back from right rotator cuff surgery this morning. It was torn 80%. Now finally looking at 8-10 weeks then I’m praying I can ride regularly. I’ve put 350 miles on this spring but no fun with right shoulder pain.

I’ll be living through everyone here and their bike adventures for the next few months. Thank you everyone and I look forward to participating more. At 52 years old I’ve spent my life wrenching on things as many have here and this forum is good stuff. Please be careful and respectful of the machines we are privileged to own and ride...I’ll certainly do better for the rest. Ofmyriding days.
 
Geezalou, take it easy on your body. Actually sounds like your ice fall did more damage to you than the bike crash.

Heal up and we will be here to hear your first ride report when you are ready.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Geezalou, take it easy on your body. Actually sounds like your ice fall did more damage to you than the bike crash.

Heal up and we will be here to hear your first ride report when you are ready.
Thank you ferret. I grew up in KC mo and respect your winter riding. That’s no joke at all.

I’ll post some bike pics as I heal. Working on the bike this winter was the best therapy.
 
NH: Your show of strength is a testament that you'll be back. We await patiently as you heal so you can ride the beast once again. In the meantime, be safe and take it easy.
 
Glad you are recovering. I have also had a mishap on my CB,as a former New Hampshire resident , sure don’t miss the winters. Where in NH do you hail from?
 
Thread starter
Hi obleo. I’m just south of Franconia notch in a town called thornton. Right next to Waterville valley. Surgery today took me past skiing resorts with snow on trails and people sking. Also canoeing going on and golf at base of mtn. Weird to see. When was your mishap.
 
Welcome NHCB1100. It's good to hear you're on the mend. Looking forward to reading your adventures.
 
You know, I agree with your thoughts that we all need to be reminded of how dangerous our hobby is. Maybe not with a crash, but a conscience reminder to just be careful and not take our bike and skills for granted. Most of us have been riding a long time, and complacently might creep in as we forget exactly how dangerous it is. I dropped my bike twice in 50 years of riding where this happened, both in my yard. One, the first month I was riding, trying to go up the two inch rise on my driveway at a 45 degree angle, the second last year year, going through a muddy patch in my yard at about 3mph , forgetting big bikes do not behave like dirt bikes, and cracked a rib on the mirror. I did not even mention it here in the Forum. So we do stuff that if thought out better, we would not do. I just thank God on the road I think a little better than I do in my own yard. I pray you get better fast and go back to the joys of riding and put the accident out of your mind so it does not keep you from just having fun.
 
Well at 52 you have a lot of make up work to do in the injury department. You were supposed to spread them out over the years. :D

So, pace yourself now.
 
NH my accident was on April 26 2020, teenager girl 5.0 mustang turned left in front of me. I low sided and avoided getting hit, but slid about 100 feet , bike slide about 200 feet. Jacked up an already fused neck vertebrae , bike damage was minor. Me on the other hand am still suffering the consequences . I did have some ptsd for a while , but as soon as the bike was rideable I rode. I no longer have that bike but miss the overall quality of it. I purchased a 2020 Triumph Speedmaster, it’s a great machine, but alas not a CB 1100.
 
G.O. Yes nice bike, fits these old bones better ergonomiclly. No adjustment on the front forks. Plenty of power, just at different rpms from the CB. I-am still getting used to the bike. I have the phantom white and black tank with hand painted coach stripes. It has that retro look to it,and I like to gaze at it while parked. The CB stirred up those same feelings .
 
Thread starter
Thanks for sharing your story and to everyone that replied. Helped me smile throughout last night and helped a ton. Your accident wasn’t long ago either. It’s crazy how bikes get into your blood. I was just in the garage in my sling looking at mine and thinking how I already look forward to getting back on. I feel a little ptsd more on slippery or sandy surfaces after my winter fall that snapped my arm. That was so fast. I’ve changed my seat and bar position looking for more comfort.....seemed better for the few miles I rode this spring. Where were you in nh?
 
Little town of Unity. Between Claremont and Newport. Established town government in 1764. Sort of the lakes region .
 
Back
Top