Recessing a fuel tank.

Ferrealls_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Looking for options on recessing a fuel tank to allow space for lower bars and clip ons. I know I saw one CB that had it done for clips on, but I can't for the life of me find that picture again. Anyone have any experience with that? I imagine any body shop could do it... just looking for some tips.
 
You are probably thinking about the bike in post 12 in this thread but it loos like the owner pulled the pics

Clip Ons thread
 
Right now on Japan.webike.net there is a set of good looking clip ons for $100 that have enough length to clear the tank.
 
Thread starter
My issue is more annoying. Clip ons would work fine. It's the ultra low bars. The controls sit perfectly so the cleats on the bottom touch the tank when you crank the bars over.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Here are the Clip Ons I was referring to earlier. I like that the seem to work with the existing hydraulics and controls, but they really don't seem to put the riding position any more forward. It almost looks like the hands would be in about the same position as they are with the stock setup.
HURRICANE : Separate Handlebar Steel [HS4119B-01]
kmoney_imp said:
I think you mean this one.

http://caferacerforsale.com/listing/2014-honda-cb1100-cafe-racer/

Gotta squint at the small pics, but it shows it.

Does the tank really need to be recessed though? I'm looking at getting some Woodcraft raised clipons with 13" handlebars, and from the look of things, I will lose a tad of steering lock, but not enough to wreck parking lot maneuvers.
That is one of my favorite modified CBs here in the states. The guy that bought from the seller checked in here about a month ago.
 
Thread starter
I could go riser but that would defeat the purpose of the ultra low bars. Maybe I should go clip-ons with a small riser. That would put them the same elevation as the ultra lows but push them forward a little to give me some extra clearance.
 
One thing I would love to adapt for our bikes is this. . They're a clipon adapter for the Ducati monster that mounts to the handlebar mount on top of the triple tree (they make them for a couple other bikes too). I don't know if our mounting holes are anywhere even close enough to slot this or otherwise adapt it, but something like this would definitely solve alot of clearance problems.
 
Thread starter
kmoney_imp said:
One thing I would love to adapt for our bikes is this. . They're a clipon adapter for the Ducati monster that mounts to the handlebar mount on top of the triple tree (they make them for a couple other bikes too). I don't know if our mounting holes are anywhere even close enough to slot this or otherwise adapt it, but something like this would definitely solve alot of clearance problems.
I would love to see something like that for the CB. I'm not actually sure that would solve my issue though. That looks to be about the same clearance I have now. Don't get me wrong though, I'd definitely give that a shot. Looks pretty mean too.

I'll have to get in touch with Woodcraft to see what we can do.
 
Yo Ferrealls,

I put different bars on mine too but mine are only an inch lower than stock, but if you look at the risers, maybe turn them 180 degrees at the mount? I haven't tried that but it may help. It looks like they may move your bars forward a bit.
 
I've been MIA from the board for a couple weeks; here's a shot of mine with the recessed tank visible.

9fb0699c69030e9381638a2fb536e94a.
 
Thread starter
12milesout_imp said:
I've been MIA from the board for a couple weeks; here's a shot of mine with the recessed tank visible.

9fb0699c69030e9381638a2fb536e94a.
There you go. That's what I need. Did you just have a random body shop do it? What'd you pay?
 
1st owner had the tank done; I'm not sure what the cost was. The same shop charged me $300 to blast the chrome off the front fender & repaint it to match, so I'm sure that tank would've been more than that.
 
Back
Top