Recall from HONDA

jtopiso_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I have got a letter from Honda. I have to go to the dealer, as there is a recall from HONDA.

It seems like there is something wrong with an original part. They will take mine and give me a new and corrected replacement.

At this point, you might be wondering:

-Which part? Does this affect my bike? Has something been wrong all this time and I haven't noticed yet? How can this happen?

Well... the part in question is: the user's manual. It seems there is a mistake on it.

My money is in the maintanace intervals. In my version (Spanish) it states no interval for valves check. Let's see what I get.
 
Can't wait to hear. It will be interesting to see whether the dealer tells you what is wrong with the original manual.
 
I have the check list for inspections from my Honda dealer (Germany) and it's clearly mentions the valve clearance every 8.000 miles.

I check the valves every 15.000 - 18.000 miles.
Adjusted only once (38.500 miles) and never more
(I rode the bike more than 100.000 miles in total till now)

BTW: the english version of the users manual mentiones the same
Our member kennyw linked the document in another thread:
Owner's Manual
 
The U.S. manual for my 2017 CB1100 EX shows 12,000 mile (19,200 km) inspection intervals.

b3aff475a43067da4aaffcc0bbc8a73b.jpg
 
Thread starter
I haven't got the new manual yet, but I have asked about what changes and they told me: "there is something wrong about the switches operation and something wrong in the maintainance intervals".

As I say, on my "old" manual, valve inspection interval is blank. Regarding switches operation, I guess they have clarified the trip computer operation, as it is easier to learn to use it by "try and see" than reading that encrypted section of the "old" manual.
 
Thread starter
I have got the new manual.

I can only find differences in the inspection intervals: most were "blank" on the original, now they are filled in.

I'll try to post a picture, but as a surprise: the valve inspection interval is marked at 12000km (8000 miles).

I wouldn't be surprised if there is another recall for updated intervals.
 
Did anyone else notice that the oil change interval on these manuals is 8k miles? (Unless I read that table completely wrong). My 2014 DLX manual recommends changing oil ever 4k miles or 6 months. Curious, because I can't believe there's any substantive difference in these engines. Perhaps a case of the engineers relieving a spec that they felt was too conservative after logging many, many customer miles?
 
The book that came with my 2014 indicates 4,000 miles for oil change intervals on page 42.. The searchable PDF that I got on-line, published in 2012 for 2013 model indicates 4,000 miles for oil change intervals on page 39.

8,000 miles is the valve clearance check interval for up to 2014.

I see 8,000 in the Spanish version, posted above...strange.
 
I think you’re reading that right A-man. I wonder if Honda’s now recommending using fully synthetic oil?
 
Cormanus_imp said:
I think you’re reading that right A-man. I wonder if Honda’s now recommending using fully synthetic oil?
Be interesting to see the section of that manual for recommended oil
 
Thread starter
I'm on holiday, but I'll check when I'm back. Remind me if I don't.

From the top of my head, i think they recommend full sinthetic oil. 10w-40.
 
Jtopiso: Be interesting re synthetic, as the older manuals only indicate API SG or higher and no "energy conserving" or "resource conserving"...which would be a clutch slippage issue.
 
Thread starter
SportsterDoc_imp said:
Jtopiso: Be interesting re synthetic, as the older manuals only indicate API SG or higher and no "energy conserving" or "resource conserving"...which would be a clutch slippage issue.
API SG or higher. SAE 10W‐30, JASO T 903 MA
Don't use "energy conserving" or "resource conserving" oils.

I think the "MA" spec is the important thing for the cluth slippage.
Synthetic 10w-30 is what the engine cares about.
 
Back
Top