Rear Wheel problems

Sfomoto_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I have a 2013 CB1100 and I am having some serious issues with my rear wheel :dodgy:. I recently had a rear tire replaced, but mounting the rear wheel back on has been impossible. the last inch 1/2 of the rear axel does not go in and it keeps hitting something. I have done this job before several times but for whatever reason this time has been impossible. I am installing the wheel by myself, which is a pain. Any advice or tips are highly appreciated it :huh:
 
Assuming all the spacers are lined up, it should go through. I place my foot under the tire to support it and then jiggle / shimmy the axle as I'm pushing it through. You shouldn't need it, but a wood or rubber mallet (even a 2x4) might help to persuade it through.
 
I stick a wedge of 2x4 wood cut on an angle under the tire to hold it while I assemble.
 
Thread starter
Thank you all for the tips!! Ok I am going to try the 2X4 wedge and rubber mallet. I am sure my neighbors can hear me talking to the rear wheel as I keep trying :s
 
Dont forget to smear some grease on the axle
 
Just to be sure; the nut is on the right hand side, +1 on the grease and be sure the brake system sits captive in the slot and can not rotate when the rear brake is operated, i'm sure you know this but still.....
 
The CB1100 wheel is one of the easiest to get out and back in , just make sure everything is lined up properly. I use a 3/4 inch piece of plank six inches wide , about 2 feet long and than use 1/8 strips of plywood to fill up to the tire. As different tires have different sizes a few strips of the thin plywood gets the tire in the perfect position to install the axle.
 
Most is already said. My 2 (euro-)cent: Don't use force! If everything is in place, the axle would pass thru easily.
 
Thread starter
Ok I got the 2X4 Wedge last night. I am going to try again this morning. The axel goes though easily... just the last inch 1/2 that gets stuck. Hopefully today is the day!!! Thank you all for the tips
 
The last 1/2 inch is where the axle emerges from the swingarm, so it sounds like everything is lined up correctly except for the entire wheel assembly vs. the swingarm. Or, perhaps the chain adjuster is misaligned. The 2x4 should do the trick. Good luck.
 
Sfomoto_imp said:
I have a 2013 CB1100 and I am having some serious issues with my rear wheel :dodgy:. I recently had a rear tire replaced, but mounting the rear wheel back on has been impossible. the last inch 1/2 of the rear axel does not go in and it keeps hitting something. I have done this job before several times but for whatever reason this time has been impossible. I am installing the wheel by myself, which is a pain. Any advice or tips are highly appreciated it :huh:
I had a similar problem, where I could not get the axle through. I just didn't seem to be able to move the wheel back far enough to fit the axel all the way through. I figured that since the chain tension was good when I took the wheel off, and I didn't change it, then it should allow the wheel to position correctly so that the axel could be reinstalled. My problem was the chain had hung down when the wheel was off and hooked itself on something on the frame. This prevented the wheel from moving aft far enough to get the axel in. Am I the only one who has experienced this (it actually happened twice to me).
 
Thread starter
Update... I keep my CB in a garage, however, there is not heater. So, I fought with the rear wheel for a while with no success. Between the garage feeling like an ice-box and my frustration, I decided to stop. Today the weather is going to be a little nicer, so I am planning on round 4 and hopefully today is the day. Wish me luck!!
 
Ice box in Florida ? Or is your bike somewhere else ?
You would think that in Florida you need an icebox to keep your beer cold !
 
Houtman_imp said:
Ice box in Florida ? Or is your bike somewhere else ?
You would think that in Florida you need an icebox to keep your beer cold !
John,
I love all your comments and humour for being deadly accurate = :):D:P:thumbsup::clap::hello:&:rofl:
:beerchug:
 
Back
Top