Rear axle torque question.

jdvalero_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I'm adjusting my chain slack and I am in need of torque spec for rear axle torque.
I read in one thread that it was 65 ft lbs and in a couple other that it was 83ft lbs.
Help would be greatly appreciated.
2014 standard
 
Different years models use different torque. The 2013's used 83. The 2014 dlx used 69. I think the 2014 std uses the 69 figure too. 2014 uses a smaller axle. If you use a 27 mm on the r/h nut it's 69 ft lbs.

How To adjust the chain on the CB1100
 
Yes Ferret, the DLX and '14 std are both 69. That from the manual.
 
Thread starter
Thanks pops... reassurance always good.

Pops you have a DLX no? Is the manual for both DLX and Std?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
 
My bike is a 2013 and I have a '13 service manual. I also have a '14 service manual. It covers both years and all US models.

I guess soon I'll have to think about aquiring a '17 service manual, huh?
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
My bike is a 2013 and I have a '13 service manual. I also have a '14 service manual. It covers both years and all US models.

I guess soon I'll have to think about aquiring a '17 service manual, huh?
LOL

Thanks guys!!!!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
 
my 2014 owner's manual says 83. I doubt I get mine that tight. I don't have a socket for it, so can't torque wrench it. I use the small axle wrench that came with my gsxr for the front axle of the gsxr.
 
Thread starter
After reading your post I went back to my owners manual and this what I got. (Didn't know that info was there.)
a8db4f9beb50a53f00f66c89f047cb44.jpg


Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
 
jimgl3_imp said:
my 2014 owner's manual says 83. I doubt I get mine that tight. I don't have a socket for it, so can't torque wrench it. I use the small axle wrench that came with my gsxr for the front axle of the gsxr.
Well thats interesting. Are you SURE its the correct owners manual? Dealers do make mistakes, but I guess you'd notice as the gauges, etc. would not match.

Having said that, I checked again and the specs are listed the same in the torque tables and the rear wheel /suspension section of the manual; 83 for the '13s and 69 for the '14s. I would not torque a '14 bike to 83 ft.lbs. YMMV

In one of the Honda engineer talks posted somewhere, he said the '14 axles were made smaller to impove the ride by being able to flex more. OK, I don't have any idea how much an axle flexes, but thats what he said. So, smaller axle, smaller nut, less torque on the nut.
 
Back
Top