Really high idle

Dave commented:
"This problem would come and go completely unpredictably - it did NOT appear every time the bike was ridden."

Hmmm.... Is this problematic to Max's theory about heat affecting the magnets?
 
I still think it may be some kind of binding problem. Maybe only showing when tightened down. IDK.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I don’t think there is a manual on-line, but maybe there is and someone will post up.

Basically the manual has you disassemble the rear end of the bike, moving forward until you can get to the airbox.

But there is another way. Check out this post with pics: http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=8120&pid=291066#pid291066

Good luck with it if you have no manual. You need one.
Grrrrreat! Thx I appreciate the link as well. When Enzo did his, it looks as though he did not have to remove the rear wheel. I'll try that way first

Replying before clicking the link! UNBELIEVABLE!
f646e57cafcac7bb8db9055635c98547.png


Titus 2:13
2013 HONDA CB1100
 
Thread starter
So....I dont have the manual to do this repair so I'm flying blind here. I've got this far, but I'm having trouble removing the air filter box. The box before it I believe has more than 5 screws it and I cant access it with this box in the way. It appears there is some sort of strap, but cant find any way to loosen it. Any help would be great
Thank you

Titus 2:13
2013 HONDA CB1100
 
Gordo_imp said:
So....I dont have the manual to do this repair so I'm flying blind here. I've got this far, but I'm having trouble removing the air filter box. The box before it I believe has more than 5 screws it and I cant access it with this box in the way. It appears there is some sort of strap, but cant find any way to loosen it. Any help would be great
Thank you

Titus 2:13
2013 HONDA CB1100
I strongly advise you to get a shop manual , so useful when you do your own repairs etc.
 
Gordo maybe you can Personal Message enzofour , he is in Italy i believe.
To do this goto popgun's link and click on "enzofour" in the red text above his avatar.
To my knowledge he has not revealed the secret sauce to remove the airbox but you may have more success.
 
Thread starter
I'll give that a try. I've been at this since 1pm and cant figure this out.

Titus 2:13
2013 HONDA CB1100
 
Hi,

I am from Singapore and my 2014 CB1100 EX used to have low idling problem. I have replaced the IACV using 16430-MFJ-D01 but my low idling problem came back a few weeks later. I replaced my IACV again, this time using 2017 part number 16431-MGZ-D01 and I have not encountered any low idling problem for more than a year now. Anyone know why Honda changed IACV part number from 2017 onwards when the throttle body part number remained the same for all CB1100 models?
 
jwst11_imp said:
Hi,

I am from Singapore and my 2014 CB1100 EX used to have low idling problem. I have replaced the IACV using 16430-MFJ-D01 but my low idling problem came back a few weeks later. I replaced my IACV again, this time using 2017 part number 16431-MGZ-D01 and I have not encountered any low idling problem for more than a year now. Anyone know why Honda changed IACV part number from 2017 onwards when the throttle body part number remained the same for all CB1100 models?
Perhaps somone more knowledgeable than I can say for sure, but I can only assume Honda changed the IACV part number because they realized the pre-'17 IACV part was susceptible to high/low idle issues, and they "tweaked" the IACV, resulting in a new part number.

Your story is good anecdotal evidence of this; you tried the fix with the 430-MFJ--it didn't work, then you installed the '17 431-MGZ and that fixed the issue. Several others (2 or 3?) on this forum have had success by replacing the IACV. It would be helpful if they could confirm that the new IACV part was used to make the high/low idle issues go away.

Dave in San Diego?
 
Interesting as the part number for the 2014 is still showing as 16430-MFJ-D01 which suggests Honda has not updated it.
 
Hi jwst11. Did you replace the IACVs yourself? If you did, how did you get the center section of the airbox out of the frame? Did you remove the rear fender? Would you happen to have any pictures you took during the process that you can share? Thank you.
 
Thread starter
jwst11_imp said:
Hi,

I am from Singapore and my 2014 CB1100 EX used to have low idling problem. I have replaced the IACV using 16430-MFJ-D01 but my low idling problem came back a few weeks later. I replaced my IACV again, this time using 2017 part number 16431-MGZ-D01 and I have not encountered any low idling problem for more than a year now. Anyone know why Honda changed IACV part number from 2017 onwards when the throttle body part number remained the same for all CB1100 models?
Did you do the work yourself or your local Honda dealership. Mine is at a standstill. I still cant figure out how to remove the forward airbox attached to the throttle body. Once the 7 screws are removed there is just no room to slide the rear half out between the frame, and the other half attached to the throttle body. It's also interesting to note that they changed the part number. Something a local shop had asked me when I was in picking their brains on any ideas how they would go about doing removing that forward section, if Honda changed or updated that part # They haven't worked on a CB1100, nor would they take mine on as of right now,because it's in pieces. I'll be back at it tomorrow or Sunday.
65bd620280bb6b92ed1241dde4c77ff5.jpg
0c3f5f62c3aa14a508255eac54aae5c3.jpg


Titus 2:13
2013 HONDA CB1100
Cormanus_imp said:
Interesting as the part number for the 2014 is still showing as 16430-MFJ-D01 which suggests Honda has not updated it.
I wish I would have known about an updated part#. I'm hoping I have the same luck as other users and this cures it.

Titus 2:13
2013 HONDA CB1100
 
There is a ridge / tab across the top of the box for the hose that plugs into the very top front of the box.

It’s a tight fit / pry / wedge to get the back out- but just go for it- it will come out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Gordo,

Looking at Enzo’s pics here: http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=8120&pid=291066#pid291066 look pretty much like your pics to me. If you look at Enzo’s pics do you see anything he did that you didn’t? I mean, he got it out. So how?
I honestly dont see anything different. There is a loom of wires and I believe a brake line that runs down the left side of the frame. Maybe disconnecting and removing the loom will help

Titus 2:13
2013 HONDA CB1100
PowerDubs_imp said:
There is a ridge / tab across the top of the box for the hose that plugs into the very top front of the box.

It’s a tight fit / pry / wedge to get the back out- but just go for it- it will come out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Forgive my ignorance but are you referring to the box that holds the air filter? I removed the hose on that one and move that rearward with the battery and battery box removed.
There is a ridge and tab on the forward box possibly helping connect and seal. I'm afraid if I get too aggressive they might break


Titus 2:13
2013 HONDA CB1100
 
Your story is good anecdotal evidence of this; you tried the fix with the 430-MFJ--it didn't work, then you installed the '17 431-MGZ and that fixed the issue. Several others (2 or 3?) on this forum have had success by replacing the IACV. It would be helpful if they could confirm that the new IACV part was used to make the high/low idle issues go away.

Dave in San Diego?
[/QUOTE]
The part number of the new / replacement IACV that I used is: 16430-MFJ-D01. It's been 11,000 miles since it was replaced and I have experienced zero idle problems.
 
Dave_imp said:
Hi jwst11. Did you replace the IACVs yourself? If you did, how did you get the center section of the airbox out of the frame? Did you remove the rear fender? Would you happen to have any pictures you took during the process that you can share? Thank you.
Hi Dave, I replaced the IACV myself more than a year ago. I removed the rear fender and also the rear shock absorber upper mounting bolts to lower the rear wheel to remove the rear air box. After removing the 7 screws, I managed to pull out the air box center section from the side. I didn't manage to take any photos. It's not easy to remove and also to fit back air box center section because of the very tight space.
 
Hi Dave, I replaced the IACV myself more than a year ago. I removed the rear fender and also the rear shock absorber upper mounting bolts to lower the rear wheel to remove the rear air box. After removing the 7 screws, I managed to pull out the air box center section from the side. I didn't manage to take any photos. It's not easy to remove and also to fit back air box center section because of the very tight space.
[/QUOTE]
Hi jwst11. It sounds like you removed your airbox like I did, except I removed the entire rear wheel and the RH side shock absorber to improve access - access to remove the screws and access to remove the airbox from the frame. It sounds like you followed the steps outlined in the factory service manual to the letter. Some members have removed the airbox without removing the rear fender, or all of the other parts occupying the space aft of the airbox assembly; I don't know how they did this. I assume it required some force to squeeze the center portion of the airbox out. When I try to work like this I always end up breaking something, and costing me more time and money in the long run.
 
Back
Top