Real world toolkit use examples

capz65_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I'd like to hear examples of the under seat toolkit fixing something during a ride and got you and the CB home.
Edit. Examples of how it could get you home also welcome, cause I know there's more than what I can think up.
 
I've used zip ties in other people bikes multiple times.

Once to hold the distributer on a chopper into the bike long enough to get home.

Once to hold a broken fairing onto a bike

Leatherman/multi tool multiple times.

I used electrical tape to keep a broken shift lever together long enough to get home.

Have also used the electrical tape to strap down something to my rear rack when I didnt bring bungee cords.



2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
I think I put 12,500 miles on my CB in 10 months and never needed a tool...perhaps a benefit of post & pre ride checks. My toolkit did aid fellow riders. I think it was my Moto Guzi and Yamaha XT250 that had mirrors bumped by curious wild horses and having the right size open end wrenches to re-tighten was a benefit.
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
I think I put 12,500 miles on my CB in 10 months and never needed a tool...perhaps a benefit of post & pre ride checks. My toolkit did aid fellow riders. I think it was my Moto Guzi and Yamaha XT250 that had mirrors bumped by curious wild horses and having the right size open end wrenches to re-tighten was a benefit.
Yes luckily the tool kit is always for the other riders/bikes but the Honda just keeps on going lol

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
I think I put 12,500 miles on my CB in 10 months and never needed a tool...perhaps a benefit of post & pre ride checks. My toolkit did aid fellow riders. I think it was my Moto Guzi and Yamaha XT250 that had mirrors bumped by curious wild horses and having the right size open end wrenches to re-tighten was a benefit.
I think the last time I had to use a tool from under the saddle to fix a motorcycle problem was back in 1985 when I got a rear flat tire on Victoria Park Avenue in Toronto, Canada.
 
9 years 64,000 miles. This thing has a tool kit? I haven't even had the seat off in 3 years I don't think.
 
Used the screwdriver once to change a headlight bulb on someone else's bike.
 
jtopiso_imp said:
Adjusting the rear preload counts as a fix?
That has been my usage too, rear preload with/without a pillion. I would call it an essential adjustment.
 
Tire repair kit, the included "tool kit", a 10mm socket, channel-lock pliers, a couple of shop rags, and the Progressive Roadside Assistance number.
 
Sea how far will the Progressive Roadside Assistance program haul your bike? I currently have AA Plus RV and that's good for 2 (150 mile) tows a year, not that I've ever used it lol.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Sea how far will the Progressive Roadside Assistance program haul your bike? I currently have AA Plus RV and that's good for 2 (150 mile) tows a year, not that I've ever used it lol.
It may vary from state to state, but for Illinois --

With Roadside Assistance coverage, we provide towing to the nearest qualified repair facility and necessary labor at the time and place of disablement when the motorcycle, off-road vehicle, or vehicle towing them is disabled within 100 feet of the roadway due to: mechanical or electrical breakdown, battery failure, insufficient supply of fuel, oil, water or other fluids, flat tire, lockout or entrapment in snow, mud, water or sand. Coverage is limited to three covered emergencies for any single covered vehicle in a 12-month period.

This service is “Sign and Drive,” meaning there are no out-of-pocket
expenses; all the insured has to do is sign the receipt and they’re back on
their way. Roadside Assistance can be obtained 24 hours a day, 7 days a
week, anywhere in the U.S. or Canada

In addition, Progressive offers Trip Interruption Coverage which is sort of relevant to this conversation, I think. --

We designed Trip Interruption* coverage to help riders whose bikes are disabled due to mechanical breakdown or covered loss when they are
more than 100 miles from their principal residence. This coverage provides daily maximums of $100 for lodging, $50 for alternative transportation, and $50 for food while the motorcycle is being repaired; maximum $500 per occurrence.
*Trip Interruption is not available for off-road vehicles
 
Technically, maybe, but practically not. The limitation is to prevent the insured from using the roadside service to help them when they are intentionally off-roading. If your bike started on the road, something broke, and you wound up 200' from the road, Progressive would still pay. If your bike was damaged and if you had Physical Damage coverage on it, the towing would be part of the Physical Damage loss and not a Roadside claim and therefore covered regardless of distance from the road.
 
Back
Top